Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

General Questions

Post by Siji »

Main char at the moment..

Figured I'd make a new thread for general questions since I'm Johnny come lately here..

1. Are mounts any faster than the druid's travel form?
1a. Are any mounts obtainable in game which are account-wide like the Blizzard store ones?
2. Is there any point to the companions? (e.g. bonuses, stats, etc)
3. Are there any worthy addons besides what I'm currently using:
- Carbonite
- Atlas
- Wholly/Grail
- Flasher
- QuestHubber

4. Are any of the trade-skills worth doing?
5. Is there any way to assign keys to the action bars besides the main? Like in EQ or RoM Bar 1 is 1-0, Bar 2 would be SHIFT1-0, 3 would be ALT, 4 CTRL, etc.. The action bars are vexing me greatly.
6. For druids does prowl ever get faster?
7. Is it possible to auto-follow players or NPCs?
8. Is it possible to change the appearance of armor?

The quest system is both great and annoying at times. QuestHubber helped a lot in finding available quests. Carbonite I'm simply not sure how you could play without it (and the TomTom arrow, path tracking, etc it adds).
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: General Questions

Post by Fairweather Pure »

1. Are mounts any faster than the druid's travel form? - Yes, at higher levels. The % increase is 60, 100, 150, 280 and 310. Travel form is 40% but has a lot of benefits in PvP due to it's instant cast.
1a. Are any mounts obtainable in game which are account-wide like the Blizzard store ones? - All mounts will be account wide when MoP releases, same with non combat pets
2. Is there any point to the companions? (e.g. bonuses, stats, etc) - You can use them in the expansion for pet battles (aka: Pokemon) http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6079670229 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFrt5XdgEJQ
3. Are there any worthy addons? - I use Bartender, CoolLine Cooldowns, Deadly Boss Mods, Power Auras Classic, Recount, and X-Perl Unit Frames. I keep everything current with Curse Client.
4. Are any of the trade-skills worth doing? - Yes, depends on the class and what you want out of it. My Druid is herbs/alchemy. All classes kind of have a tradeskill that benefits them best but you can do any tradeskills you want.
5. Is there any way to assign keys to the action bars besides the main? Like in EQ or RoM Bar 1 is 1-0, Bar 2 would be SHIFT1-0, 3 would be ALT, 4 CTRL, etc.. The action bars are vexing me greatly. - I don't know jack about EQ2 because I haven't played in about 5ish years. You can make keybinds and macros. I spread stuff out with the Bartender addon and bind macros to my WoW mouse and G13.
6. For druids does prowl ever get faster? - No
7. Is it possible to auto-follow players or NPCs? - Not that I know of
8. Is it possible to change the appearance of armor? - Yes, with transmogrification. It's a pita IMO, but people seem to love it. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3309048/

Here is a pic of my interface with some of the mods visible (it is compressed to hell and back but you get the point):
[Show]
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Unless something drastic has changed in the last 18 months, first char you just go herbalist/mining to make cash, until you're max level and can drop one to get a real craft. The levels go by too fast to be crafting useful shit to use as you level.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I did inscription when it first came out and made a metric shit ton of money selling cards for the decks. Not so relevent now though. I haven't played in about 18 months.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

cards for decks? Isn't inscription the skill to make glyphs to augment certain class skills? Maybe I'm mixing something up here...
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Boogahz wrote:cards for decks? Isn't inscription the skill to make glyphs to augment certain class skills? Maybe I'm mixing something up here...
Both. The cards were like lotto scratchers for WoW. Somewhat better return because of the over valuation of shit in AH, but you generally would make more money selling ingredients instead of final product.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Maybe it changes in higher levels, but currency in WoW seems slow. No wonder there's so much 'buy WoW gold' spam on the web.

The wisp form after death is interesting, but odd that you can do so much exploring before accepting the res.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

You can see the terrain but I don't think you can see the mobs in that area. So when you try going there after you rezz you'll be in for a surprise.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Siji wrote:Main char at the moment..

Figured I'd make a new thread for general questions since I'm Johnny come lately here..

1. Are mounts any faster than the druid's travel form?

6. For druids does prowl ever get faster?
1) You should be using flight form asap. It will assume the speed of the fastest mount you have. Last time I played it was also instant cast and made collection quests and some other shit way easier for druids.

6) It seems like I remember it getting faster with a skill or something, but I'm not sure.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

I'll look next time I die, but pretty sure you can see mobs too while in wisp form. Doesn't seem to have a timeout I've noticed. I have seen people mention dying while in wisp form causing extra durability dmg, but I've yet to get aggro while in wisp form.

Had an (what I considered) odd thing happen where I was in Silverwind Refuge (Ashenvale area) and a Silverwind Conqueror (non-elite or anything) ran straight up to me from a far distance inside a building and hit me for just over 9k dmg at level 26. Not sure if that's Blizzard's way of saying you shouldn't be in that area or something, but was rather rude. Has made me hesitant to explore any horde areas ever since. Should have had the Mortal Kombat sound, "Flawless Victory!"

Silverwind Conqueror's melee swing hits Qithe for 35 Physical.
Silverwind Conqueror's melee swing hits Qithe for 58 Physical. (Critical)
Silverwind Conqueror's melee swing hits Qithe for 784 Physical. (Crushing) (9075 Overkill)

Btw the 'What happened to me' feature is nifty..
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Druid stag form looks great (new travel form from glyph, you can be mounted!).

MoP cgi trailer is out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvYXoyxL ... ata_player

Pre expansion patch is going live with all races available to play, new talent trees, and the Theremore Island event on Aug 28th.

Best of all, my new graphics card will be here tomorrow night. I should be online and around late Friday testing the new card but will likely put time into WoW on the weekend. I'll get you tagged in the guild and see if I have an alt around your lvl to play.

Lots of great stuff coming up. It's a great time to be playing!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Addons are for squares.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

New video card arrived and installed. It's screaming! Much better than my 5970! I'll be on for sure.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

[quote="Fairweather Pure"]New video card arrived and installed. It's screaming!

That sucks. My 670 is dead silent.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Surprising how well done the Zygor Guides are done. Might actually consider investing in them.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I played some battlegrounds over the weekend and Alliance just dominated Horde in Isle of Conquest. I went 15/15. The Horde never even came close to a victory. I had some good 1v1 and other mini battles during those games and overall I'm still very happy with how my feral performs against all classes (Except mages. Man, fuck mages). I am a bit nervous to see how all the changes on the 28th will affect my character.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

First, Fel Reaver Sentries suck.

Second, I can fly! I don't know if flying mounts are easily obtained but as a druid, flying has completely changed questing for me. Best feature in the game.

I thought about starting a panda monk, but I'll probably wait to avoid the crowds of other people who will try it. I'm thinking hunter or mage if I want to play another char.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Siji wrote:First, Fel Reaver Sentries suck.

Second, I can fly! I don't know if flying mounts are easily obtained but as a druid, flying has completely changed questing for me. Best feature in the game.

I thought about starting a panda monk, but I'll probably wait to avoid the crowds of other people who will try it. I'm thinking hunter or mage if I want to play another char.
Just this weekend I was herbing between BGs and it is awesome not having to dismount to loot and resummon your mount afterwards like all the other classes. I had 2 other peopel running the same zone for herbs and I beat them to the punch every single time thanks to that little perk.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I loaded up World of Warcraft for the first time in four years. Some things have changed. Also, I don't remember where anything is.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Spang wrote:I loaded up World of Warcraft for the first time in four years. Some things have changed. Also, I don't remember where anything is.
I took an 8 month break prior to Cataclysm and I had forgotten a great deal about how to play my druid, but I remembered where all the cities and stuff were, no problem. Four years would test most memories.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

The more I play, the less I like the skill/talent changes.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I found Northrend. Still keeping it real with no addons.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

No addons here either. Made it through about 1/3rd of Borean Tundra on the Mage before going back to catch up on some mining skill. I also checked out some of the changes on other characters over the long weekend, and it really feels like they've dumbed the game down to a point where it might as well just be f2p.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

On one hand I don't like the way the skill trees were changed as it removes personal tweaking. On the other hand I didn't have more than a month of experience with the 'old way' so after I got used to the new way, it's basically one less thing I need to concern myself with. I'd agree it seems they've dumbed it down though. It's still better than a F2P imo. I'd much rather pay a flat $15 a month than the scary amount of money I put into Runes of Magic (F2P). I don't agree when people say F2P is the way of the future. F2P is farking expensive unless you just putz around with no real goals.

As for addons, I love me some addons. Think I'm at around 35 addons or so but they're mostly minor ones to do little things which are monotonous or to show info. e.g. Postal to open/retrieve all mails at once - great when a bunch of auctions end and I don't feel like right clicking 2 x 20+ to get everything out of the mailbox. Titan for that information bar. Recount for DPS tracking. Flight Map & Whereis because I don't know the world well enough to know where the closest repair merchant or trainer is. X-Perl & Bartender for custom unit frames and action bars, mobinfo, threat meter, jpack to sort/stack my bags, auctioneer because I likes makin' me some money, etc.. little things, but they add up. The biggest (most important to me) addon I use is probably Carbonite - which thankfully is currently being updated for the newest patch by a fan. I was using Wholly and Grail to show where quest givers were (puts the ! on the map) because when I started I couldn't for the life of me figure out why Blizzard wouldn't want you to know where to get quests.. instance maps, boss drops, etc. Useful information to have a mouse-click away.

There's seriously so much I don't know about this game. I get the feeling there's gems or heirlooms or some other stuff I should be looking at getting to improve my stats. Everything so far is from quests and 1 or two things from dungeons (wtf do dungeons never drop +AGI stuff?). It's also fairly annoying flying over some area while exploring and realizing after being hit for 100%+ health that it's a Horde establishment. It was only recently I found out about glyphs and got those..

I've tried a hunter and a mage but having to run everywhere blows. I wouldn't mind starting a warrior or priest, but there's absolutely no way I'm comfortable tanking or healing for dungeons. I simply have no clue what to do. Even as a druid my dps seems to suck, so I need to figure that out. I don't see how any plays a mage solo. Farking most squishy class ever.

Edit: And what is up with the item levels in WoW? 120, 180.. I assume stats evolve/improve as you get closer to the item level - but what's the point of having item levels dozens of levels higher than max level?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I don't know when this change took effect, but the ability to loot multiple corpses at the same time is pretty sweet.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Siji wrote: Edit: And what is up with the item levels in WoW? 120, 180.. I assume stats evolve/improve as you get closer to the item level - but what's the point of having item levels dozens of levels higher than max level?
Nah, iLevel is to give a power comparison between a max level epic and the more powerful max level epic from the expansion, hardmode, etc, etc. It's the meta-treadmill!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Spang wrote:I don't know when this change took effect, but the ability to loot multiple corpses at the same time is pretty sweet.
It went live in this patch. It is great but lomg overdue!

Siji - ilvl is important to keep an eye on. It is the overall level of your gear. You cannot get into certian Instances unless your ilvl gear is "x" or over. They do this so that people are properly geared for the Instance as well as for making sure everyone in the group is on an even playing field (ie: 4 people carrying an undergeared 5th, but it still happens).

Heirlooms are for alts. It's something you can spend earned currency on (honor, justice points, ect) that are bound to your account. They are for powerleveling alts, basically, and are usually bought only after your main no lomger has anything else to buy with that currency. Heirlooms scale in ilvl as your alt levels, basically equal to or slightly higher than a high level blue item for that level. They also have +exp bonuses so you level faster.

Gems are extremely important, but don't sweat it until you hit lvl 85 because they are expensive and you outlevel your gear so fast right now. Wait for the lvl cap!

Later, I'll post the guild msg board where you can register and get ventrilo info and such.

Edit: http://twilightalliance.guildportal.com ... bID=335619

I have already hit the wall again on my druid. There just isn't a whole lot for my main to do. I'm doing Darkmoon Fair, herbing, archeology, farming for a mount jere and there, and doing an occasional battleground, but it's all just busy work at this point. Herbs from Northrend are selling really well so hopefully I'll continue to be able to bank some gold for MoP. My character has enough food and elixers/flasks to play for 120hrs straight. I can't wait for this expansion!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Probably why I haven't paid too much attention to gear in the AH thus far. Quest stuff seems worth enough to get me through the day or three a level takes and then there's something new. Dungeons though seem fairly useless gear-wise. In all the runs I've done (granted not a whole lot) only one or two AGI items have dropped which were better (debatable) than what I had from questing.

Still wish my dps wasn't 50-60% of what everyone else's in the group usually is.

Oh and Fair, you should really give those treants another shot.. unless it's different at 85, they do a rather respectable amount of dps for me.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

A treant's ability is spec dependant. As a guardian, they taunt, saving me 3 hits or so every minute. It's a good PvE skill but worthless in PvP. You have a dmg spec so they hit well for you.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Full effects:

These will have 10% of the Druid's MaxHP.
You get a pet bar for these which allows you to control them.

Abilities:
Tank: 30y Taunt with 8s CD and 3s lasting effect: Taunt
Feral DPS: They'll have a stun: Bash. But beware: The 1st time that you summon them this'll be on autocast.
Moonkin: Nonstop Wrath casting treants that can also cast Entangling Roots.
Healer: The summoned treants will cast Healing Touch nonstop prioritizing the lowest health target.

They scale with haste, crit, spell power etc. but with 10% HP scaling they're kinda weak and easy to kill.
Also their base damage is pretty low.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I would be weary of add ons. Not sure if it's still the case but when I played I know a lot of the key loggers that lead to account hacking came from curse. The only time they are necessary is for raiding, they've basically designed boss encounters around add ons, which is unfortunate.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

My character has character.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

All I see is a 4 fingered blob of mashed up and distorted polygons... What a terrible looking game.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Looks aren't everything.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

You are absolutely correct. But it's also a shitty game in basically every other aspect, including having what's probably the worst community of any game, ever!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I was never a fan of how WoW looked but when I see screenshots of the game now, I have a hard time figuring out what the fuck I'm looking at.

I gave the game another try back in June and I just couldn't get past how archaic the game looked and played... and the players are still meme spewing douchebags.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Spang wrote:My character has character.
How do you like the new warlock changes? It seems to be getting universal love but I'm curious what your take it. I'm not familiar enough with the class to know one way or the other but I'm happy to see a variety of new pets running around. I have a lvl 17 Warlock from about 5 years ago that I intend on leveling someday though.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:I was never a fan of how WoW looked but when I see screenshots of the game now, I have a hard time figuring out what the fuck I'm looking at.

I gave the game another try back in June and I just couldn't get past how archaic the game looked and played... and the players are still meme spewing douchebags.
Hated WoW from the beginning. I didn't even play it. Even back when it was released, the graphics looked like shit.

From a 2003 VV thread:
Winnow wrote: I'm going to create a character named Blaren and cause havok in WoW! Anyone remember Blaren? He was a very old school train machine on Veeshan in the Sol B days : )
Anyone remember Blaren? I wouldn't have unless I came across that reference. He caused so many trains at the Sol B entrance. Think back to around 1999!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Fairweather Pure wrote:How do you like the new warlock changes? It seems to be getting universal love but I'm curious what your take it. I'm not familiar enough with the class to know one way or the other but I'm happy to see a variety of new pets running around. I have a lvl 17 Warlock from about 5 years ago that I intend on leveling someday though.
I have no complaints. I really like the streamlined talent tree.

Cataclysm is a lot of fun. The HP/Mana gains are insane.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

I played semi-hardcore from the end of Wrath (hit 80 about 3 weeks before ICC came out) - the start of Dragon Soul and I do not miss this game! Most add-ons are not needed, but I could not play without bartender or something similar. The basic bars are so horrible, and cannot fit enough skills!.

But, to be fair, I have to say that some of the raiding in Cata was pretty awesome before they nerfed them into the ground. I had a pretty nice love\hate relationship with Heroic Nef and Heroic Rag. Dragon Soul just seemed so blah though. We cleared out normal in 1 or 2 nights the first week, then came back in and got 3 of the heroics before half of my raid group, myself included, decided to just quit the game.

Sorry to get off topic. Just rambling.

Your druid travel form doesn't get faster, as someone mentioned, but druids are the fastest class to quest or gather with. Flight form is OP, as it is instant cast and matches your flying mount speed. You can actually complete lots of quests and interact with a lot of things that would dismount someone else without switching out. You can really piss people off if you have mining \ herb as well, since you can drop in, gather, and shoot off before they know what happened.

Also, I am pretty sure there is an autofollow, but I may just be remembering incorrectly...I seem to remember something like that, but I never used it. It is strange how much I cannot remember actually. I just quit in February.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'm the one that said flight form gets faster, depending on your mount speed, reading incomprehension ftl.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Funkmasterr wrote:I would be weary of add ons. Not sure if it's still the case but when I played I know a lot of the key loggers that lead to account hacking came from curse. The only time they are necessary is for raiding, they've basically designed boss encounters around add ons, which is unfortunate.
I'm not too concerned about addons. I don't use any that aren't being used by hundreds of other people already and even if someone somehow snuck in a key logger, there's little chance they'd get into my account unless there's some way of getting around the authenticator. Plus if I understand correctly, addons aren't loaded until AFTER you're in the game already so there's no point where they'd catch my login or password. My personal AV would catch any keylogging exe (and addons never install exe's anyway).

I keep hearing people who think Curse is well, cursed.. but I've been using it for a very long time and have never heard of or had a problem. For me it's not a matter of being necessary, it's a matter of making the game look and feel how I prefer. Like choosing the design of your dishes.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Back when there was a lot of people being hacked and blaming curse I was using it a lot, but not using dodgy torrent/pr0n sites, and never got hacked.

There probably was a drive-by browser hack put on curse by 3rd party hackers at some point, but it was always overblown by the same kind of people that write letters of complaint to condom manufacturers because they caught the pox even thought they used a condom with that one really sketchy crack whore they fucked, though obviously not the 20 nice girls that year.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Zaelath wrote:Back when there was a lot of people being hacked and blaming curse I was using it a lot, but not using dodgy torrent/pr0n sites, and never got hacked.

There probably was a drive-by browser hack put on curse by 3rd party hackers at some point, but it was always overblown by the same kind of people that write letters of complaint to condom manufacturers because they caught the pox even thought they used a condom with that one really sketchy crack whore they fucked, though obviously not the 20 nice girls that year.
I'm not saying curse is terrible, or that they were directly responsible for the hacking, but it was literally the only way I could've been hacked. I'd rather not take the chance, and just manage the couple of add ons you need manually. And if that's happened once, coupled with the rsa token algorithm being hacked, who's to say it won't happen again?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Like Transformers, there may be more to a World of Warcraft screenshot than meets the eye. Our sister site WoW Insider is reporting that players have discovered hidden watermarks in every in-game screenshot that contains several pieces of information.

The watermark is made up of several strips of custom bar codes, which can be decoded to reveal information from the game. While the revealed information isn't extremely personal, it does contain the server IP, player account numbers, and a time stamp. The account number is publically accessable through Blizzard's Armory site and cannot be used to hack accounts.
That's pretty fucked up.

use Frapshots.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:
Like Transformers, there may be more to a World of Warcraft screenshot than meets the eye. Our sister site WoW Insider is reporting that players have discovered hidden watermarks in every in-game screenshot that contains several pieces of information.

The watermark is made up of several strips of custom bar codes, which can be decoded to reveal information from the game. While the revealed information isn't extremely personal, it does contain the server IP, player account numbers, and a time stamp. The account number is publically accessable through Blizzard's Armory site and cannot be used to hack accounts.
That's pretty fucked up.

use Frapshots.
Didn't some home printer put a virtually invisible, tiny watermark on everything you printed? I remember that being a thing and people freaked out about that too. It was years ago though. Maybe I should Snopes that one, lol.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

That's fairly screwed up. To get around it:

In game:
/console screenshotFormat "tga"
/console screenshotQuality "10"

Manually edit:

\World of Warcraft\WTF\config.wtf

Look for (or add to end if not already in file)

SET screenshotFormat "tga"
SET screenshotQuality "10"