IPhone 5, Galaxy SIII or Other?

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: IPhone 5, Galaxy SIII or Other?

Post by Kluden »

I asked Cortona if she is better than Siri...she responded with something about saving the world in 500 years. At least they made her all witty & pithy like Siri.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I thought Siri was a gimmic at first. I used it a bit just to see what it's limits were then forgot about it. Over time, I actually started to naturally use it a lot more. If I take a step back, I can honestly say I use it on a regular basis now which is very surprising to me given my initial thoughts on the tech.

My favorite thing about the MS phone my friend has is the overlay when looking for businesses. We were in Boston looking for a place to eat. He turned his phone landscape and a visual overlay appeared over the video skyline on his phone with businesses highlighted and distances to each one in real time. I just thought that was really sharp and well integrated. I wish my iphone had that!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The voice command engines for google, iOS and WIndows Phone are constantly being refined and improved.

I prefer google voice right now over Siri but will revisit them from time to time. At the moment, Google voice seems to give more voice feedback as opposed to provide web pages. I still don't use them for anything more than basic stuff.

Where Siri excels is in basic math. It uses the Wolfram Alpha engine. I ask it something like "What's 4345 divided by 12, Siri gives me a verbal and text answer. Google takes me to a web page when I ask it the same thing. Fail! I tried google multiple time and it won't do math. If Google voice does do math then it's not intuitive as all I had to do was ask Siri and it gave me the answer.

Siri even does multiple calculations...like, "whats 28 divided by 6 plus 1"

Where I found Google Voice to excel is on flight times. Ask it the status of a flight number and you get a verbal response, if it's delayed and even arrival gate. Siri takes you to a web page. These capabilities improve over time so you have to test them from time to time.

Both have advantages and disadvantages. Of course,= when using iOS devices, holding the home button to activate makes it easier to use Siri while mobile. (I'm guessing you do the same with google voice but don't know)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:(I'm guessing you do the same with google voice but don't know)
Press 'home' twice from any screen
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

nah, you just turn on "OK Google" from all screens, and you can do it whenever verbally without hitting any buttons. Works great on my new oneplus one.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I tell Siri when to wake me up each day. She's never let me down.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

http://www.businessinsider.com/ios-andr ... ta-2014-11
Apple's iOS Has Once Again Decimated Android When It Comes To Data That Matters

Apple's mobile operating system is once again dominating Google's operating system when it comes to online shopping.

Adobe, which is tracking online shopping, reports the following: "iOS users drove four times as much mobile sales revenue as Android users, 79 and 21 percent respectively."

For years, people have talked about Apple's tiny market share when it comes to the phone market. Globally, Apple has 12% of the smartphone market, according to Gartner. Android has 82%. In the US, Apple has 42% of the market, and Android has 52%, according to comScore.

Market share is important because typically in tech, it's winner-take-all. The more people you have using your platform, the better you will do.

In theory, the more people use Android, the more developers and publishers will tailor their websites and their apps to Android. In theory, Apple's iPhone will be a second class citizen with second class apps. Eventually people will bail on the iPhone if it's offering a second class experience.

But, in practice, Android's market share advantage means nothing because iOS is more popular when it comes to usage, as demonstrated by these shopping data points. If you're making an app or a website, you want it to work best on iOS because that is where the most lucrative customers are. So, in practice, Apple gets the best apps and the best web experience because that's what makes sense for companies and developers.

You could argue that this isn't indicative of usage, but merely demonstrates that iOS users have more money to burn. If that's the case, it's good for iOS, too. People with money to burn are an attractive cohort of users for developers and companies.
Just in case you thought all of those Android devices matter much because so many are pumped out. Developers and merchants will look to iOS devices for development because the SDK rocks and they make assloads more money from Apple devices. Apple completely crushes Android in usage and consumer purchases (things that matter to developers and people that want to make money and therefore design the best apps for iOS)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Too bad all those Apple users didn't use their smartphones to purchase more Apple products. Stock took a dive $31 billion in two days!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Too bad all those Apple users didn't use their smartphones to purchase more Apple products. Stock took a dive $31 billion in two days!
When your market cap is 671B that's like a drop in a bucket even though the paper loss is twice the entire market cap of Sony!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

My #1 use for Cortana has become replying to test messages while driving. Their in-car experience is fantastic because it's not only hands free but essentially eyes free as well.

Microsoft needs to kick it up a notch and integrate Cortana support into their Podcast app. I would love a day when I can go "Podcasts, Play the latest episode of XXXX"