Post your ideas and problems with the site/board here

Moderator: TheMachine

miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Cloudflare?

Post by miir »

Site is constantly timing out giving some weird Cloudflare error page..
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: Cloudflare?

Post by Boogahz »

Figured that was the current host. I've noticed it popping up more frequently in the last month or so.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yeah. I just click the Retry Live Version or whatever it says. It does seem to happen fairly regularly.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Seems like they are having some DNS issues the past couple months or so. Really random. Likely, they are being fucked by AT&T (or whatever telco) and/or their co-lo.
en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

During the day, I get that error page about 50% of the time.
It's pretty bad.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:During the day, I get that error page about 50% of the time.
It's pretty bad.
Same here.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I blame py.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Sylvus wrote:I blame py.
Well yeah, he's the scum of Veeshan, obviously.
en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Well I figured the best way to get it to stop would be to whine about it...
I haven't gotten the error page at all since my last post.
:)
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

This page (http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/) is currently offline. However, because the site uses CloudFlare's Always Online™ technology you can continue to surf a snapshot of the site. We will keep checking in the background and, as soon as the site comes back, you will automatically be served the live version. Always Online™ is powered by CloudFlare | Hide this Alert

Yeah I get that too. I had to RDP to my home computer so I could type this in. I see it is up from my home computer but thanks to our Blue Coat Proxy at work, the message is still stuck in the cache.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Bubba Grizz wrote:Yeah I get that too. I had to RDP to my home computer so I could type this in. I see it is up from my home computer but thanks to our Blue Coat Proxy at work, the message is still stuck in the cache.
Always seem 'stuck' for me until I click Retry Live Version or whatever is in that button.

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Seems to work from me from work now as well. I figured the network folks fucked up a proxy pac.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Performance of the site has been pretty bad lately. I get that cloudfare thing a lot.

I'm curious if py or whoever has updated phpBB lately as there may be some spam crap going on or something in the background slowing things down.

I'm pretty sure enabling flash on all forums so You Tube videos can be embedded would speed things up significantly.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

:vv_shutup:
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

For years Cloudflare has blocked me while on VPN from accessing this site but has recently started working.

Which is good because my work recently starting blocking this site as it's classified as 'Gaming'. Really? This site hasn't been gaming-related for years.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: January 31, 2024, 9:53 pm For years Cloudflare has blocked me while on VPN from accessing this site but has recently started working.

Which is good because my work recently starting blocking this site as it's classified as 'Gaming'. Really? This site hasn't been gaming-related for years.
It's definitely dependent on your VPN. I've had my same VPN for probably 10+ years now. I can usually get around any web access issues by switching locations in the US or using various country VPN locations. Cloudfare hasn't been an issue on Veeshan for me for years. My VPN is on the spendier side because I like that it provides 500-1000 mbps where a lot of VPNs are slow. That may also mean it's not as used by the masses and maybe a little less likely to get blocked before the more mainstream VPNs.

For years it's been impossible for me to access sites in China. They have a great firewall. If I want to go there I have to use my own IP. Not surprisingly, a lot of Russian sites can't be accessed unless I use the Russian options for my VPN. I only need to go there on some rare occasions if I'm searching by image and need to use Yandex search engine.

Also a reminder that ISPs screw you over as well. COX governs speeds for Youtube and with the new crap Youtube is doing to prevent high bandwidth 1080p (giving you much crappier 1080 unless you upgrade to their premium) I still get the high quality 1080p (and 4K when available) as long as I use VPN even while logged into my Youtube account. If I switch to my own IP I get the crap bps version and the high end 1080p shows as a "premium" option. Even before that, for years id get crappy bandwidth on Youtube and downloading from pay download services using my own IP but full speed when using VPN. Screw COX. I doubt these scams are limited to them though. I'm betting Google pays COX to do this to encourage premium Youtube subs.

Sidenote on Youtube: Ads are still blocked for me so it's not a problem yet, but I use ytdlp based apps to download Youtube channels. ytdlp-interface is by far the best one. You can download single videos (including easily keeping subtitles or just downloading the audiotrack as an mps), playlists or entire channels (or you can choose videos/shorts/live for example). Channels/Playlists are nearly placed into their own folders. For the output template I use

Code: Select all

%(upload_date>%Y-%m-%d)s - %(title)s.%(ext)s
so that it addes the date the video was uploaded to Youtube at the start of the file name, making it easy to watch entire downloaded channels in sequence. You can download anything, doesn't matter if logged into youtube account, it will grab the restricted videos in a channel as well. Last thing I'll add about ytdlp is that it's updated regularly and can grab videos from 100's of sites

Anyway, VPN is well worth it for me for multiple reasons. Combine that with the right file sharing service (averages about $10/month 6 TB bandwidth allowed per six months with no daily limit and if you somehow manage to use that 6TB which I haven't, just renew early) and you have all you can eat everything. I never have to worry about what service Netflix/Hulu/Prime/Disney/Apple etc etc a show is on. Even if I own a service (Prime Video for example) I've never used it. I much prefer to download whatever I watch to have complete control using something like Potplayer to pause frame-by-frame, hardware acceleration, screen capture, watch streaming to the Quest 3 which also has a couple video players much better than default players for the services etc. If someone gets a warm fuzzy feeling fast forwarding through commercials, more power to them. Social media, streaming services never have the consumer's best interest in mind. I wish this stuff was more difficult like it was in years past. "Too easy" is when things get shutdown like the brief kodi craze. When I saw my aunts were using that I knew it was going to get shut down.

I can't remember details but I think the UK did a study and found that 4 out of 5 sites clicked on through Google are toxic. Almost nothing out there has your best interests in mind. You owe them nothing as they feed you tailored crap. I will be happy when AI progresses a little more and I can create most of my own entertainment. I already can with still images/art. Music/Video isn't far behind. I won't miss Hollywood at all. The political stances etc these "celebrities" take are moronic. I hope their jobs go the way of the horse trainers did around the turn of the 20th century.