Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Blade Runner (The Final Cut)

Post by Winnow »

I just saw this bad ass movie called Blade Runner!!1!11

Like all cool older people, I saw Blade Runner in the theaters in 1982. I've seen the original version several times since. I really didn't want to see it again but someone posted the top ~300 Science Fiction Movies from the 30's to present on the newsgroups so I started grabbing a few. I didn't even realize I had grabbed "The Final Cut" version of Blade Runner until I started watching and viewed a ton of content I hadn't seen before.

There's been seven Blade Runner releases. Here's the scoop on the Final Cut from Wiki:
Ridley Scott's The Final Cut (2007, 117 minutes), or the "25th Anniversary Edition", was released by Warner Bros. theatrically on October 5, 2007, and subsequently released on DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray Disc in December 2007. This is the only version over which Ridley Scott had complete artistic control, as he was not directly in charge of the Director's Cut. In conjunction with the Final Cut cinema release, extensive documentary and other materials were produced for the DVD releases which culminated in a five-disc "Ultimate Collector's Edition" release by Charles de Lauzirika.
I was amazed at how different the movie was with so much footage I hadn't seen. It feels like half the movie is new. Anyone that's seen the original Blade Runner and not the Final Director's Cut deserves to have a look. You learn a ton more about the story, especially about Rachel. It's more of a thinker oriented movie and less action based than the original.

There's five Blade Runner releases on Netflix including The Final Cut. I typically don't care for movie versions released after the original theatrical release but I prefer this one over the original now that I've seen it. Check it out if you've only seen the original. It's like a bonus companion movie to the original.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: Blade Runner (The Final Cut)

Post by Canelek »

I didn't realize there were more than the theatrical and director's cut. I saw the director's cut in the 90s during a Warner Brothers 50th(I think) anniversary where I got to see that, A Clockwork Orange and a few others on the big screen. Will definitely check out the 2007 version!
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bah, I just noticed only the Theatrical release is streamable on Netflix. Bummer. It's out on the newsgroups (posted 10-15 times in various quality over the past 1000 days)
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I've got the Final Cut that came bundled in the "Ultimate Collector's Edition," which I received as a gift. I also have the original version on vhs and the director's cut on dvd stashed in the attic somewhere. The Final Cut is definitely my favorite version.

btw, Did you know Ridley Scott will be directing a sequel in the near(ish) future?
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey