Question about Steam and Total War: Shogun 2

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Question about Steam and Total War: Shogun 2

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I recently let my friend borrow my TW: Medieval 2 so I needed to find a fix to hold me over until SWTOR comes out. I love the total war games (at least the early ones) and wanted to try out Shogun 2. I looked at Best Buy, because I like using my rewards card, but their PC gaming section totally blows now. Everything is about the console or DS now.

So I went to Steam. I bought the game and downloaded it (14 hours later) and then I was able to play the game. The game is really quite beautiful and a lot of detail went into the game. What bothers me though is that I can't play the game unless I go through Steam. I don't like that limitation. If for some reason my internet was down I would not be able to play my game. I find this very disturbing.

So my questions are, Is there anything I should worry about in regards to Steam? Also, is there a way to play my game without having to have Steam open?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Re: Question about Steam and Total War: Shogun 2

Post by miir »

I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

You still need to have Steam open but as long as the games are updated and you have set up Steam to work offline, you should be good to go.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Haha. I've been going through a Rome: Total War phase lately. That is, I've been watching someone else play in order to get my fix. It works a lot better this way, otherwise I'd be nuking all my free time.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Awesome! Thanks Miir!

Yeah these games can be addicting. You start at 7pm and then look up at the clock and it is already past 10pm. Just one more turn....
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I like shogun2 a lot for its graphics and building choices and everything.

Steam is also my goto. Between their sales all the time, and just the ease of use, I enjoy it. I still reserve hard copies of most things, but if they are steam activatable, I will usually add them to my steam account.

I'm glad you posted that off line mode FAQ. I need to setup a few games for that just in case.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

What a SHAMEFUL DISPRAY of ignorance of Steam in here. :D
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt