Federal government going after medicinal

What do you think about the world?
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Federal government going after medicinal

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Is it just me or is this just another violation of the 10th amendment by the federal government? The only thing they can even attempt to base their case on is interstate commerce and that clearly should have zero bearing on product grown in state.

http://www.baycitizen.org/marijuana/sto ... pensaries/
The U.S. Department of Justice has ordered landlords to evict at least four Bay Area medical marijuana dispensaries or face criminal charges, The Bay Citizen has learned.

The move is part of a "concerted effort" by the federal government to crack down on the state's medicinal pot industry, marijuana advocates and criminal defense attorneys say.

On Friday morning, the four U.S. attorneys in California will hold a news conference detailing "actions targeting the sale, distribution, and cultivation of marijuana in California," according to a press release issued by the Justice Department late Thursday.

The actions directed at what the Justice Department calls the "commercial marijuana industry" highlight the escalating conflict between federal and state authorities over medical marijuana, which is legal under state law but illegal under federal law. As some California cities have looked to dispensaries for much-needed tax revenue, the federal government has toughened its stance toward the state’s marijuana industry.

“It looks like there is a concerted effort for an offensive against the dispensaries in California,” said Bill Panzer, a criminal defense lawyer who represents dispensaries. “The Obama administration, for all the talk that he gave during the campaign, the reality is his policies haven’t been that different from Bush’s," Panzer said.

Source: The Bay Citizen (http://s.tt/13rNi)
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: Federal government going after medicinal

Post by Canelek »

Seems like the DEA needs to have a funding cut. This bullshit has been going on since the proposition was voted in in 1996 and state-legal operations started to pop up. The federal government is still stuck in "Reefer Madness" mode, much akin to Prohibition. The geezers in DC are too fat on ego and slush funds to try and do anything productive. War on Drugs!! Woooo. Bunch of assholes.

edit: And yes, Obama is as much of a stubborn twat as his predecessor in this regard.
en kærlighed småkager
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I will never understand why the government criminalizes something that would be a gigantic revenue stream like the taxing of legalized marijuana would be. Not to mention the savings in spending on the DEA, local law enforcement, the prison system, etc...

Which lobbies exactly are the ones stopping this from happening? Prison and Alcohol?
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Sylvus wrote:Which lobbies exactly are the ones stopping this from happening? Prison and Alcohol?
I'd bet Big Tobacco and Pharma shovel cash to keep anything they can't patent illegal as well. The US government is pretty fucked until we get the money leeches out of DC.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Oh yeah, I wasn't thinking about Pharma. I bet that's a bigger opponent than alcohol. I can't imagine tobacco would be though, if anything I think legalized pot would increase tobacco sales. Virtually ever tobacco smoker I know goes through cigs way faster when drunk or high than when sober.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sylvus wrote:I will never understand why the government criminalizes something that would be a gigantic revenue stream like the taxing of legalized marijuana would be. Not to mention the savings in spending on the DEA, local law enforcement, the prison system, etc...

Which lobbies exactly are the ones stopping this from happening? Prison and Alcohol?
Honestly, I would not see any real savings for DEA or law enforcement at all. What it would do is free them up to go after real criminals and be able to use the revenue generated from mary jane to fund it.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

They should tax churches.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Bail bondsmen have a powerful state and local lobby, would assume it extends to the federal level. Potheads are big money.

(Their efforts are costing my county alone something like $3 million\yr due to prisoners w\o resources to post bond)
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Sylvus wrote:I will never understand why the government criminalizes something that would be a gigantic revenue stream like the taxing of legalized marijuana would be. Not to mention the savings in spending on the DEA, local law enforcement, the prison system, etc...

You aren't very far off. Lots of large, influential state and federal prison guard unions donate heavily at the state and federal level to candidates with the toughest drug laws. The prison system in the US is overflowing with harmless drug offenders like pot dealers and growers. They keep budgets for corrections high and are easy to deal with because they usually aren't actual criminals.

This type of thing has been going on for as long as CA has had medical marijuana laws. The DEA routinely raids perfectly legal marijuana pharmacies in California, confiscates everything (including records; yes if you bought medical marijuana ever in California it is likely the DEA has a dossier on you). The problem is the DEA has way too much autonomy and no politician wants to stop their ridiculous crusades for fear of the other party accusing them of being soft on crime. This sort of shit happened just as frequently in every other administration because they don't have the balls to put the reins on them. Look at the situation from a few months ago when they were actually selling automatic weapons to violent Mexican cartels in order to "get to the source of the criminals" what a fucking joke. The whole department should have been gutted after that but no one even got suspended.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

That was the BATF and was through the DOJ. It had dick all to do with the DEA.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Marijuana never would have been criminalized if it weren't for fear and racism.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

http://www.katu.com/news/131341983.html ... =y&clmob=y

Sorry for no snippet, iPhone laziness.

Another huge farm seizure in southern Oregon. Granted, I think caregivers are only allowed a certain number of plants, but once again, the DEA is given far too much autonomy! Our tax dollars at work, eh?

Also, the cost of a medical card has almost doubled, making low income patients in need of medicine a bit fuckered. The DEA needs to spend 100% of their time collaborating with Federales in Central America as well as on domestic opiate and Methamphetamine dealings. Leave the stoners and state-sanctioned pot patients alone!

<--does not smoke pot, but supports Norml, etc.
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah it's ridiculous. I keep thinking we must be close to moving past this bullshit but it keeps not happening.

My brother is a perfect example of someone whose life has been all fucked up and has cost the government a bunch of money all over pot. He's spent 3+ years total in jail, been on probation since he was 16, has 3 felonies, hasn't had his license in several years, again all because of weed. It's ridiculous.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I don't kow the laws.. But what would happen if California told the Feds to get lost? I mean other than like.. Losing Federal funding for things like roads, etc..
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

From what I've seen in CA, state law enforcement generally steps aside. Keep in mind most law enforcement types follow the chain of command. If the president, etc wills it, it must be right!
en kærlighed småkager
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Cali and some of the other states basically DID tell the Feds to go stuff it. It is not just pot the states have done this with either. The only way the feds can regulate anything they were not given power over in the Constitution is through the interstate commerce clauses. They should not be able to regulate this in any way. I know Montana also filed a suit regarding the government not being able to regulate anything related to firearms that were produced in Montana and for sale only in the state. I have not seen anything on that one in the courts for a while now and never really followed the proceedings very closely to see what happened with it.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Yup. DEA/ATF. Horseshit.

Notes to all those on far sides of political spectrum, that dog dont hunt.

Protect state rights, or we are all fucked.
en kærlighed småkager