Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

LoTR Extended Edition - Blu Ray

Post by Canelek »

Anyone have this set yet? How is transfer? Bonus features? The extended DVDs had fuckall for worthwhile extras.

$80 is a pretty solid deal on Amazon, but I'd rather not spend it for a less than awesome set.
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: LoTR Extended Edition - Blu Ray

Post by Aslanna »

I didn't spend a lot of time looking but from what I remember there isn't really any bonus features that weren't included with the DVD extended versions. They even come on a DVD rather than BR!
As for the special features, the majority are DVD-only and are being ported straight from the already-released extended editions. The only new features are behind-the-scenes documentaries from director Costa Botes. So essentially if you buy the Blu-ray extended editions, you’re getting 15 discs, but if you bought the original extended edition DVDs, you already own two-fifths of this “new” set.
I haven't heard any complaints about the sound or image. So if that's important to you, or one doesn't own the extended DVDs already, I'm sure it's not a bad buy.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

In all fairness, I rarely watch extra shit, but for LoTR, I would have loved to see some more content--even if it was only watched once.

As for the movies, hey, I love that shit! I'll likely by the blu ray set just for not having to switch discs DURING the movie. :)

That said, I think I can wait a bit longer since I really do not have the urge to watch the movies at this time...
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Canelek wrote:As for the movies, hey, I love that shit! I'll likely by the blu ray set just for not having to switch discs DURING the movie. :)
Uh. I still think you have to do that.

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

hmmm, I have one of the DVD versions, and I don't even have to swap discs during the movie
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

That means you probably have the initial release without any of the extra scenes.

Regardless... The Blu-Rays (extended versions at least) are split among 2 discs so you will have to swap.
Disc 1 (Blu-ray)
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Feature – Extended Edition Part 1

Disc 2 (Blu-ray)
* The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition Part 2

Disc 6 (Blu-ray)
* The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Feature Extended Edition Part 1

Disc 7 (Blu-ray)
* The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Feature Extended Edition Part 2

Disc 11 (Blu-ray)
* The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Featured Extended Edition Part 1

Disc 12 (Blu-ray)
* The Lord of the Rings: The Return of The King Featured Extended Edition Part 2
http://collider.com/lord-of-the-rings-e ... res/81545/

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Bah!
en kærlighed småkager
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I'm waiting for the hyper ultra mega deluxe super extended verions, with 11 seconds of never before seen hobbit on hobbit mansex at the end.

Seriously, how many editions are you greedy cunts going to release?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

6 Blu rays and 10 DVDs. What a clusterfuck of a release. Also, the are some rumblings about color correction in the first film.

I have the extended editions on DVD and love them. They've gotten a lot of views, extras included. They look great upscaled. I would only upgrade if each movie were on one disc and the extras were in HD and consolidated to something reasonable for around the 40$ mark, maybe. I see this as yet another half assed Blu ray release in a long line of shitty releases. DVD had this problem too when the format first launched. That's why lots of movies were released several times in the form of "remastered" DVDs. The problem I have is that Blu ray has been out long enough that studios shouldn't be pulling this kind of crap!
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

They deliberately release inferior versions so people who bought them re-buy the "new and improved" version 2 years later. Especially with movies like LOTR, which are very close to some people's hearts. The studios know this.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Indeed. It's just more horseshit. Now that "ok deal" is a price gouge. Think I'll just download if someone stitched them together. May as well have Lucas enhance te sword fights with salamis.
en kærlighed småkager
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

I deliberately avoided the extended edition DVDs... 3 hours is way too long for a movie, unless it's the first watching, and it's really engaging. 4 hours.. on a rewatch... ummm no.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

likewise. I checked, and I have one of the initial releases without the added footage (aside from bonus material on 2nd disc), and there is no way I could have made myself watch another hour or so of any of the three movies.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I picked this up for 40$. I'm not happy that the extras are all on DVDs, but for that price I thought it was worth it.