NFL News/Discussion 2011

What do you think about the sports world?
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Re: NFL News/Discussion 2011

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

This is not last year's secondary. They are playing up to 4 CB's and Ike Taylor is the oldest with a rookie and 2 3rd year players getting a hefty amount of playing time. Hell, they are actually putting Mundy in for Clark at safety on some of the passing downs for coverage on TEs. Are you trying to tell me that GB's ends are better than NE's? They can't play 4 at once and if they do it makes things easier on a secondary.

Pitt is number 1 against the pass this year for a reason...they are playing a different style of pass coverage than they have in the past. Only once all year has a QB thrown for more yards against them than Roethlisberger has. (Matt Hasselbeck when Pitt was destroying Tenn)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Green Bay is stacked on offense. I wouldn't bet against them.

Here's highlights of Fitzgerald vs the Eagles this year showing why he get so much respect in the league:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckGufGsHykI

What do other receivers think? Best hands in the NFL:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09 ... e-WR-Hands
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

They are number one against the pass because they play in a division full of shitty pass offense. Jesus Christ on a cross with nails, look at who they fucking played this season. Bengals, Browns, Baltimore (who fucking torched them), Arizona, Rams, Sea Hawks, Jets, Indi, Houston, Chiefs, Jags, and the Pats. So, outside of the Pats who they man jammed all day long, Baltimore is the best offense they have had to deal with all season, and they lit them up for 60 points in two games. Their pass defense ranking is about as credible as the undefeated Lions were. Nice to look at, but no one is buying that bullshit for a second until they get a real test. Evidently you blocked out of your mind the multiple plays of Palumalu getting faked out of his jockstrap in the superbowl or something.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Sure GB spreads the ball around more. That makes it harder to put up stats in some ways (more competition for touches) and easier in some ways (less attention from the defense). Of course, Fitz put up monster stats when he was teamed with Warner/Boldin/James, and he puts up monster stats when he's paired with Skelton/Doucet/Beanie Wells knee.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

OK Jice, a couple things about the Steelers you need to clue in about.

Age - The D line is getting long in the tooth, but they have also got some younger replacements coming along in Hood and Heyward. I'll be surprised if Aaron Smith is back next year: years and injuries are catching up with him, sadly. Farrior and Harrison are getting up there at linebacker too, but Woodley and Timmons are kids still. The other aging member of the D is Ryan Clark at safety, but he's still looking pretty good, especially this year. On the offense, Ward is the only guy over 30, with Big Ben being the 2nd oldest at 29.

Schedule - they've only been manhandled once this year, by Baltimore in the season opener, who they gave 7 freaking turnovers to. Conversely they were able to manhandle the 2nd highest rated offense fromt he Patriots, pretty easily. Now they have had their share of "weak" teams, but by the same token, when you talk about the AFC North soft offenses, don't forget that not too long ago, 4 of the top 5 D's in the NFL were from the AFC North.

Polamalu - was not 100% (probably closer to 80% with achilles issues) in the Superbowl. I don't think he has been 100% all year this year either, or no one would remember who other safeties are around the league.

I still don't see them winning the Superbowl, and I'm iffy on them getting there, but they are a team that can't be ruled out, even if Roger Goodell tries to fine and suspend their D into bankruptcy with cheesy shit like the Harrison hit on Colt McCoy (seriously, the guy was flat out running away and dishes the ball as Harrison is already launched... if protecting players is so important, how come they don't do anything about High-Low's like the Browns did to Roethlisberger or the cut blocks the Ravens love to use on opposing D's, that are designed to take out lower extremities???).
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I wouldn't be opposed to them just...you know...calling the same penalties on the teams that hit Steeler's players in the head. Just a few blatant ones off the top of my head:

1: Ray Lewis' hit on Ward this year. No flag.
2: The hit on Heath Miller last year by Ravens that put him out for 2 weeks. No flag.
3: The hit on Miller at the 2 yard line by the Bengals. Same exact placement of the helmet as what Harrison had on McCoy. No flag, no fine.
4: Ngata blasting Roethlisberger's nose last year. No flag, no fine.

I also really love how they are using the "5 illegal hits on QB's" as an argument for this. The list of those illegal hits was a bunch of horseshit calls that they threw flags on. The one they called on him for having the audacity to land on a QB during a tackle was the highlight of the retardation that the NFL has become under Goodell.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Jice Virago »

Wulfran wrote:Schedule - they've only been manhandled once this year, by Baltimore in the season opener, who they gave 7 freaking turnovers to. Conversely they were able to manhandle the 2nd highest rated offense fromt he Patriots, pretty easily. Now they have had their share of "weak" teams, but by the same token, when you talk about the AFC North soft offenses, don't forget that not too long ago, 4 of the top 5 D's in the NFL were from the AFC North.

Polamalu - was not 100% (probably closer to 80% with achilles issues) in the Superbowl. I don't think he has been 100% all year this year either, or no one would remember who other safeties are around the league.

I still don't see them winning the Superbowl, and I'm iffy on them getting there, but they are a team that can't be ruled out, even if Roger Goodell tries to fine and suspend their D into bankruptcy with cheesy shit like the Harrison hit on Colt McCoy (seriously, the guy was flat out running away and dishes the ball as Harrison is already launched... if protecting players is so important, how come they don't do anything about High-Low's like the Browns did to Roethlisberger or the cut blocks the Ravens love to use on opposing D's, that are designed to take out lower extremities???).
Again, when you play mostly against anemic offenses, your defensive stats are going to look artificially good, so the entire division benefitted there. I am not disputing that Pitt and Baltimore have good offenses, but try throwing Cleveland or Cinci into the same division as the Packers and Lions (or Falcons and Saints) and watch what happens. The AFC north played, outside of Pittsburg and the Pats, literally the bottom half of the NFL offenses all year long. Thats going to skew things a bit.

Palumalu will continue to get picked on late in the season. The tape is now out on him and the teams that can split the secondary (Packers, Saints, sometimes Pats) will torch him. Him not being fully healthy is more a function of his age at this point and certainly does not help.

As for the Steelers not getting some late hit flags, well I agree its not fair and not how the refs should be calling it. But... When you have a rapist QB and a well established reputation as one of the dirtiest teams in the league (Lions finally win at something!) over a long period, the refs are going to tend to look the other way and let the opponent retaliate occasionally. Its not right, but it is what it is and its a large reason the Lions are getting so banged up, too. Further, Big Ben's modus operandi is to get the shit pounded out of him like a big dumb animal every game, so its kind of hard to toss flags on some of those hits when he is constantly getting drilled like it was part of the Pittsburg game plan. Vick got his shit pushed in all season for much the same reasons Big Ben has been; bad off the field rep combined with suspect team rep and the refs tend to look the other way. Its not right and I really am against that mentality, but its whats going on.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

As much as I love the steelers, I wouldn't bet against the packers this year. They are a much healthier team this year, so to me would seem they are better just solely based on that. The best part of the packers game, and what truly makes them great, is that they are hiding nothing. They run the same shit day in and day out. Here's our game, stop us. Not the same offense as the Pat's undefeated team, but same idea when they step on the field.

I would go by the old adage though that a loss would be good for the packers superbowl hopes. Get it out of the way now...cause we saw what happened to the patriots. The unbeaten stigma is just bad luck imo. But that's just superstitious bullshit, so it doesn't really matter...right? I see them resting players this weekend, so this may happen during the regular season just from resting starters. The reality is that every time Rodgers takes a snap, they risk the super bowl...any coach should think about resting guys (looking at the bears and lions games as the big risk games.)

I don't know what to say about troy. last year he was hurt, but he chose to play, so its on him when he gets beat in the super bowl. This year, they have him playing in the box 60% of the time for run support since the steelers couldn't stop the run for the first 7 weeks of the season...then when he is back in coverage, he just looks slow and lost. Not sure what the fuck is wrong with him anymore. guess those concussions may be adding up...or coach lake just doesn't know what to do with him. maybe he should try working out and keeping up with the young kids instead of doing 1000 hair commercials. I don't know what his problem is. The rest of the comments about age of the defense as a whole are just ridiculous. A couple guys are older, but they don't play all 4 downs, let alone 3, so its not like they put a "full work load" in anymore. The whole NFL does that rotational shit on defense now to utilize as many players as possible, to keep D's as fresh as possible.

On the Harrison bit, I will say this to my fellow steelers fans, watch a bears game. Julius Peppers finds ways to get sacks without using his head to make plays...hell, that jackass leading the league in sacks (J. Allen) does it without being "dirty". If other players can make big hits without using their heads, I just don't see why harrison can't. I really don't have sympathy for him...and I'm a fan! The guy just leaves his feet...if he would stop leaving his feet, the calls would stop, guaranteed. As for the lack of the exact same calls on Ben...well, that is just a product of any QB who "extends the play". You can either have the refs throwing flags and calling plays dead in the grass earlier...or you can give him the maximum amount of time to run around and avoid sacks and extending plays...but taking hits. There are a few that are just ridiculous of course, like any High-Low, or the broken nose incident, but as was said, he was a villian last year, goodell was happy to watch him sink.

ps, as a side note, I hope GB qb coach Tom Clements knows how to recruit...so when he gets that PSU job, he can make that team something again.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

A Suhprisingly good read.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

I know Big Ben, Vick, and all the other QBs who make plays with their legs as much as their arms are going to take extra shots: its a no brainer and why I laughed at Vick complaining about it a bit earlier this season. Thats what happened to McCoy on the Harrison hit too, though. What gets me is the selectivity of the NFL in pursuing injury causing scenarios. I'll grant that its hard to prove a High-Low is intentional in a game, except you know some teams practice and talk about executing it. Same goes for the Raven-style cuts (and yes it frosts my ass that the Steelers are considered dirty by some while the Ravens generally aren't seen in the same light). And this latest fine for Harrison just reinforces why the Steelers were the only team who refused to ratify a CBA which didn't address the whole supplementary discipline process.

I'll disagree with Jice on the age being a factor for Polamalu: he was 30 in April, so he's still got some miles left, especially with his instincts. He needs a lot of rehab this off season though.

All in all, I don't see anyone in the AFC beating Green Bay in Superbowl, and to be honest, I'm fine with the Packers winning it all again: just as long as Dallas, the Pats or the Ravens don't do it :p The Steelers might be one of the teams with the best chance, looking at what they did to the Patriots, who also love to spread things out and have the tight ends to exploit the situation, but I also think Rodgers is playing better than Brady and has better weapons overall.
Wulfran Moondancer
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Wow AZ is 7-7 (started season 1-6)

Over the past seven games, Arizona has the same record as Green Bay. Better than Green Bay over the past 1/4 of the season. Better than...wait for it...Tim Tebooooooow's team.

Skelton > Tebow in wins. Jesus loves Arizona!

Patrick Peterson did it again in Overtime. They kicked away from him the entire game until OT when he had an awesome return setting up the long bomb to....that washed up player named Larry Fitzgerald who the announcers for some reason kept calling the best receiver in the NFL.

Not a TD but got the job done:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... highlights

So the miraculous Tebow is one game ahead of the 1-6 starting Cardinals. When does Skelton get his due or better yet, people understand that Tebow is nothing special? Some guy named Skelton has FIVE come from behind wins this year. From 1-6 to 6-1 Go Cardinals!

This was posted before today's win: hmm the title sounds like it was meant for...Tebow!

Add 313 yards/1 TD and another come from behind win to this article (and a loss for Tebow)
All John Skelton does is win

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 12, 2011, 6:55 PM EST

Yes, the title of this post is tongue-in-cheek. It’s also true.

Tim Tebow isn’t the only quarterback with a low completion percentage winning games in insane, impossible to explain ways.

John Skelton has started three games for the Cardinals, and played the majority of Sunday’s upset win over the 49ers. (He came into the game early with the Cardinals trailing.)

Arizona is 4-1 in Skelton’s games. They are 2-5 when Kevin Kolb handles the quarterback duties.

Skelton’s play has been erratic. He can look great one quarter and simply not up to NFL standards the next. His performance Sunday against San Francisco was his best outing.

Consider that Skelton got very little help from his running game. His offensive line might be the worst in football.

Skelton did get a ton of help from his defense, who kept the Cardinals alive with its red zone play. But Skelton’s aggressiveness was the key.

The second year player from Fordham threw for 282 yards, three touchdowns, and two interceptions on only 28 attempts. He’s now averaging over seven yards-per-attempt on the year. That’s higher than players like Tebow, Joe Flacco, and Andy Dalton.

The kid is not afraid to go after defenses. The great 49ers humiliated Skelton a few weeks back, but Skelton led a big comeback against them Sunday. If anything, he’s too aggressive.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Well, my money is on Greenbay all the way for sure now. They took that loss I was talking about above, and that will relieve them of that stigma of going undefeated, and allow them to just play football again. I watched that game on the side, so I didn't see every play. KC has a legit defense, so I'm assuming they just had a great gameplan. It will be interesting to see if other teams can duplicate. Either way, I think that loss is exactly what GB needed to be a repeater.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Jice Virago »

I've been saying that the KC game was going to be the McCarthy Brain Fart game of the year. Fact is, McCarthy is a good Offensive Coordinator, but not really a good head coach. He just has one of the most amazing talent pools of any offensive team in the entire league and a Defensive Coordinator who is really good at making do with what he has. The Packers have always had one or two of these flat games every year where McFatty just goes to sleep and does not get the team motivated at all to come out and beat face and this year it was KC that delivered the embarressment (last year it was Tampa, the year before it was AZ in the playoffs). Hopefully that bullshit is out of his system, because there is no excuse for not running the table with the kind of talent GB has, especially with the sad state of the rest of the league this year. Maybe Teddy the Ghost will finally make McFatty draft a couple Defensive players next year, instead of three more wide recievers, too.

I should have bet money on this game, because I had been saying all year that they would lose this one, but even I didn't believe A-Rod would get outplayed by Kyle Mother Fucking Orton with an interim coach and nothing to play for.

edit: What do you know, I even said it here on page 2:
Coach McFatty is also a notorious brain farter, so the Pack could very easily drop a game to either the Giants or the Chiefs though poor coaching on his part.

Dwight Eisenhower
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

the KYLE MOTHER FUCKING ORTON part is the hilarious part of the loss yesterday. Now Canelek is torn on what QB is truly the greatest...Tebow Time...or the mother fucker they let go...the mother fucker outplayed aaron rodgers, Cane! hahaha what a dilemna
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

*shrug*

He had a few brilliant games for Denver. If there is a dilemma, it will simply be if he manages to beat Denver in Week 17 with the playoffs on the line (for DEN). Being a fan of Denver means in part, tending to like the excitement of a QB that can, at times, take matters into his own hands. I'll ride the Timmy Train until it gets derailed. Personally, with what I have seen improvement-wise, I think this model is simply a system progression. Model the plan to what suits your talent. Expand on that plan as the coaches feel comfortable with. Hope that at the end of the season, there are enough positives to carry to the next season.

I've said before I like the way Tebow motivates his teammates. Once Lloyd was gone, it seemed the "inside source" of dissention was simply him. Not a knock on Lloyd, really. Just happens the other wideouts are with the program now, at least for the nonce.

Bummed about the DEN-NE game only because they couldn't handle the ball in Q2. Rough quater for DEN all year, just more obvious yesterday. Otherwise, they can build on what they got right in their first 3 series. The true test of this team is if they can recover on a short week to face the Bills, 7 game BUF losing streak or not.

So no, Kyle Motherfucking Orton's departure bothers me not.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Detroit needs to lose last two games
Chicago needs to lose one game
Cardinals need to win last two games

That's what's needed for Cardinals to make the playoffs.

Green Bay plays Chicago next week. If 49'ers beat Steelers tonight, Green Bay still needs to lock up the #1 seed next week so that will motivate them to take out Chicago.

Detroit plays: vs Chargers and at Packers

Arizona plays: at Cincinnati and vs Seattle

Not impossible. Could happen! Hoping S.F. keeps winning to force GB to beat CHI and DET. Biggest game would be if Arizona can beat Cincinnati on the road.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Green Bay doesn't need anything to motivate them to crush Chicago or Detroit. Especially after the Suh incident.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

GB can't even beat Kansas City? Detroit has more than just a chance. It will be a good game.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Bye bye Arizona. That was a nice Christmas bonus!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

What happened to Tebow?
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Seeing as how both GB and Detroit are in the playoffs I suspect we will see all second stringers in the second half from both teams. Which really kind of sucks because I'm going to that game. I'm going to make sure I get nice and toasty at the tailgate then. Wife can drive me home.

Announcers were saying that Tebow had a meltdown. All they need is one more win to legitimize him I think.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Lions still have seeding to play for. If they win, they get to play the shitty NFC East winner. If they lose, they probably have to play the Saints. I imagine they'll put in some effort.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

The Lions are going to win the Super Bowl this year. There. I said it.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

:twisted:

:badgrin:
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Gosh, Tebow really sucks.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The Broncos are going to the playoffs even if they aren’t a particularly good team. Their third straight loss puts them at 8-8 for the season and will raise further questions about Tim Tebow’s long-term viability as a starting quarterback.

This was one of the more wretched big game performances you are going to see out of a passing game. Tebow completed 6-of-22 for 60 yards and average of 2.7 yards-per-attempt. He was intercepted once and lost a fumble when in scoring range.

Tebow was 30-for-73 with one touchdown and four picks in the last three weeks. He has seven fumbles in his last four games.
Seriously. Can people stop talking about Tebow now? It's apparent that God hates him. I know people hate New England but they put the Broncos in their place and they've been there since!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fitzgerald, who had only 1 catch for 1 yard in the first half, finished with 9 for 149. He was everywhere on the final drive, and his diving catch with 1-hand kept the Cardinals possession alive.

Jay Feely's 28-yard field goal gave the Cardinals their fourth overtime victory in their last nine games. They were 4-0 in overtime this season, even though they lost the coin toss three times.
Oh there's that washed up Fitz guy again! Add a second blocked punt to Patrick Peterson's 4 Punt returns for TDs. Add yet another win for Sketon...who?...oh, notch another loss for that God fearing Tebow guy but add 60 passing yards to his totals. Best of all, as I stated earlier, Denver is stuck again with this guy next year. : )

But in another media miracle, Tebow is getting his own comic!
Denver Broncos QB Tim Tebow started this season on the sidelines while fans demanded he start. Once in the game, critics began tearing his game apart. Despite this, Tebow took off on what would become a whirlwind season, leading to comeback win after win. He has inspired Tebowing, T-shirts and even Tebrew beer. His fans have elevated him to superhero status as he has led this underdog team to the top.

Even ESPN is getting in on the superhero idea now. Partnered with Marvel Custom Solutions, Tebow has been turned into a real-life comic book superhero and the artwork will be shown during "SportsCenter" throughout the New Year's weekend. "NFL Sunday Countdown" host Chris Berman will be doing a voice-over during a segment.
Was that story written before the God awful (pun intended) performance of this clown lately? Yes, even no name Skelton is better than this joke. Cardinals have 4 OT wins this year yet Tebow is the miracle? lol. Throw religion out the window and what you're left with is a very bad NFL QB. Oh, but he'll up his average to 80 yards passing per game and throw a wild bomb that passes through the goal posts in next year's last game that his flock will declare a miracle, calling for just one more year!

Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

It will be interesting to see how Elway chooses to work around the profitable Tebow's shortcomings. How will they make the playoffs next year? QB being such an important position, it's unprecedented to build around such anti-talent.

Fucking religion.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Re: GB/Det... Fuck you, NFL. Challenges are an insult to the game.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

:vv_shutup:
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Maybe crazy man Schwartz should pick his challenges more carefully.

--
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Crazy NFL should allow Schwartz to challenge bullshit endzone "incompletions" as often as he wants. The technology is there, and games should not be DECIDED by absurd, outdated rules.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well at the moment they don't so get over it. That dude is a cry baby and not very smart since he wasted a timeout on it for nothing. It's no wonder his players aren't very disciplined.

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I've never been so non-excited about a playoff team.

And lol DET wha wha wha

edit: I really hope that Tebow is simply going through rookie growing pains and can become a good QB. Otherwise, DEN is pretty fuckered until they can find someone who can play. On the plus side, despite Miller being virtually negated due to the cast, the defense has improved big this season. They will need to find a DT or 2, as well as a CB and veteran safety to replace Dawkins. Not sold on the two rookie safeties, but that is a tough position for rookies, so the jury is still out.

While I do not think they have much of a chance against (even a hobbled) PIT team, I do hope they compete and give some of the younger players confidence going into next season.
en kærlighed småkager
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I was at the GB game this weekend. I saw the play but they didn't play it back on the big screen so I couldn't see if he was in or out. I heard on the radio that he was in but because they were out of challenges they had to suffer. I don't think that would have changed things all that much as it was still early enough in the game that anything could happen. There were some calls that were made against the Packers that weren't called in the Lions for the same infraction. I'm talking about the roughing the passer after the false start call. It was so loud I think that had the jets flown over again we wouldn't really notice.

That all said, I think this was the best game I had ever attended. I was excited for both teams to be honest. Excited for GB because Flynn did awesome. This was basically his interview for free agency and he nailed it. Stafford played a hell of a game as did Johnson. Crazy freaking numbers. Then again I drank about a gallon of screwdrivers and bloody mary's before the game so I was happy with everything. Even sitting second row from the top! There are NO bad seats at Lambeau.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Jice Virago »

Scwartz needs to save challenges for crucial situations instead of burning them early. To be fair, coach McFatty is usually guilty of the same thing.

The GB/Det game largely confirms what I have been saying about Flynn all along, namely that he is at least comparable to Rodgers in talent level. He did put up the highest passing numbers for GB all season, sans several starters in a game where Detroit played its entire starting roster and supposedly was trying to win. It will be a shame to lose him, but its unfair to him to try and sit on him. He might decide to hang around another season, anyhow, to develop a little more in what is probably the best place for a QB to learn in the entire NFL, since Rodgers is not a stat padding whore who plays in gargage time (hi2u Brees) and a backup can get some good reps in GB. Denver would be a good fit for him, actually, but they already sold out to Tebow Mania. Seattle would be where I would try and play if I were him, given the direction Carol is taking them and the ease of that division.

I won't diminish Fitz's performance in week 17, but the late game push to barely edge out the Seahawks in a meaningless game does not greatly alter my perception of him. As really the only reciever on that team its easy for him to pile up numbers. The Cards literally can throw to no one else. I am more impressed by Victor Cruz, Jordy Nelson, and Gronkowski being in the top ten, as their teams spread the ball all over the place. Still, I will admit he did better on the season overall than I though he would at the time I made those comments. Maybe if the Cards get some bodies on the O-Line and a solid secondary recieving threat they can actually win that woeful division. Its good that they are staying with Wisenhunt as coach, as I think he is sound on all fronts. They just have not recruited the talent help they need in the trenches like San Fran has, which is why the Niners are dominating that division.

Anyhow, time for more embaressment, Playoff predictions:
Here is what I see happening:
NFC-
The Saints will utterly destroy the Lions in the Dome (who should get the MVP, not Brees)
Falcons will play the Giants tight, but lose.

Packers will narrowly edge the Giants (this is going to be the roughest test of the packers for the entire playoffs, though)
Niners will beat the Saints at home, unless they find a way to bring the Dome and their home refs on the plane to candlestick with them.

Packers win in a blowout against the Niners to advance to the SB.

AFC-
Steelers win in what will be the most boring low scoring playoff game in NFL history against the Broncos.
Texans will edge out the Bengals.

Ravens will complete the hat trick on the beat up old Steelers.
Patriots will win easily against the banged up Texans.

Ravens will edge past the Patriots to advance to the SB.

Packers win SB over the Ravens 30-17

Thats my prediction, so feel free to mock me when it all blows up in my face later, assuming you guys have the balls to prognosticate as well!

Dwight Eisenhower
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I like your predictions, I don't agree of course! Here's mine so we can get this going with more! I enjoyed looking back at my preseason predictions and where those teams all shook out...I went with some long shots, that's for sure!

Jice: You messed up your seedings...if the Texans win, and the Steelers win, Texans will play Baltimore, Pitt will play NE.
AFC
Round 1
Steelers over Broncos...no comment.
Texans over Bengals

Round 2
Steelers over NE
Ravens over Texans

AFC Championship
Steelers over Ravens (homer pick...but can totally see Pitt making the AFC championship)

NFC
Round 1
Saints over Lions
Falcons over Giants (can't pick all favorites)

Round 2
Saints over Niners
GB over Falcons

NFC Champsionship
Saints over Packers (outdoors, cold as shit...still making this pick)

SuperBowl
If the steelers luck into the superbowl...saints or packers will kill them.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Detroit - I love a lot of things in their resurgence but as others have stated, they need some discipline. Yes, playing on the edge can work but not if you fall over it on a consistent basis.

Fitzgerald - I love this guy. I think he's got some good years left in him but the question is will he ever get another shot at a Superbowl, or is he going to be a WR version of Dan Marino. Question for Winnow: who will be behind center next year - Skelton or Kolb?

Predictions -

AFC

Pittsburgh will beat up Denver - Big Ben and Co are more used to playing against real defenses than Tebow. The real question is how healthy will the Steelers be after this game: that will play largely in how they fare against the Ravens. (One rare occasion this post season where I will be cheering a favorite!)
The Texans will beat a surprising Ohio State Correctional Facility Team...er the Bengals. (OK I'm cheering the Texans too)

The Pats will avenge their loss to the Steelers earlier this year. (Boo Brady!)
The Ravens will bully the Texans into submission unless the Ravens D takes a couple plays off. (Go Texicans)

The Pats will win the AFC championship game in Foxborough. (Boo Brady again but boo Ravens too! Go... refs?)

NFC

Experience and home field mean N.O. over Detroit. (I'm hoping the Lions will roar but...)
The Falcons will beat the Giants. (Again I am cheering an upset)

The Packers will destroy Atlanta (finally a favorite to cheer for again).
The Niners will turn off the lights again and this time the Saints will go home (not marching) in the cold darkness. (a push for me as far as cheering goes)

The Packers will wipe the smile off Harbaugh II in a rout in the NFC title match.

And in the Battle of Good vs Evil, Evil will prevail as the Pats beat the Packers. (but I still want the Pack to win!!!)
Wulfran Moondancer
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Looks good to me, Wulf... but I'll pick the Bengals over the Texans. :)
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Lions '12! Capped off when Suh slams Tebow square in the neocore for a fatal fatality.

srsly though, the Lions have a chance. They have all the motivation, none of the pressure, and it's all come together at just the right time. If the running game steps up, what could possibly stop the Megatrain?
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

That Bengals pick is an interesting one, probably the most interesting game this weekend. The Bengals came out hard as fuck against the Texans in their game...but the Texans rallied hard on D in the second half to slow them down. From an interview I heard on sirius nfl network, the texan's linebacker was saying that the Bengals came out with a completely new offensive scheme that week, so they made major adjustments at half. I'm not sure how true that is, of course, because its hard to imagine a team installing a completely new scheme in one week, but hey, what did the Bengals have to lose?
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

The Bengals have been a surprise all year: I picked them (originally) to end up behind the Browns in the AFC North basement, not to be the 3rd AFC North playoff team. I don't think the Texans can take them lightly on WC weekend, or Houston's off season might begin earlier than they hope.
Wulfran Moondancer
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Jice Virago »

Meh, I goofed my seeding...
I still have the Ravens over the Pats in the AFC Championship.

Should the Pats and the Pack make the SB, I really do not see the Pats winning. Billicheck can't pull a lot of his underhanded bullshit when the entire media world is looking directly at him. And as bad as the Packers Defense is, the Pats is much worse and without the takeaways. Packers have the edge when it comes to offense, too. The Cheatriots deffinately match up against GB better than they do the Ravens, however, since the Ravens can play the kind of man press that has been Brady's weakness this year. Of course, the Ravens have this whole Jekle and Hyde thing where you don't know which team is going to show up.....

Detriot is, well, the new Raiders. Dirty, undisciplined, and inconsistant. New Orleans in their own house with their own refs are dirtier and smarter. They will clobber the kittens even worse than they got trashed on Monday night. It will be the second nationally televised baby seal clubbing against this team they will have chalked up this year. This is especially true because of how they got embarressed in round one last year. If they were on the road and outside without the bullshit lopsided calls? They might keep it close. But under these circumstances? No. Fucking. Chance. Of course the Saints will lose to the Niners in week two because they don't know how to play and Drew cannot play worth a shit in any kind of breeze (/drumfill), but the Lions will have to face them in their ideal element.

Dwight Eisenhower
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Wulfran wrote: Fitzgerald - I love this guy. I think he's got some good years left in him but the question is will he ever get another shot at a Superbowl, or is he going to be a WR version of Dan Marino. Question for Winnow: who will be behind center next year - Skelton or Kolb?
In case you umissed Fitz' one handed catch Sunday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2f8dqc2pGk

If both QBs stay on the team, it will be an open competition between Kolb and Skelton. Wisenhunt isn't affected by contracts. If it turns out Kolb is the backup next year, I think he'll be happy with that. When it comes time for contracts though, Kolb would be gone.

I'm not overly impressed with Skelton except for that he wins games, unlike Tebow...meaning his actual play hasn't been spectacular and you have Larry Fitzgerald making him look very good with catches like the one linked above but he improved and was 6-2 as a starter, 7-2 if you count the game Kolb played less than a quarter in. Gotta like that.

I'm excited for next year. The Cardinals came together as a team and finished 7-2, 8-8 overall. Crappy Denver even got into the playoffs with a record like that although they finished weak while AZ figured things out. It's a young team. If Beanie can stay healthy even half the time and Ryan Williams recovers from his season ending surgury, they'll have a solid running game with the hyphen (Stephens-Howling) as the change up man. I can live with another 1000/10 season from Beanie.

I'm happy with the defense which ranked up there with the best in the second half of the season. AZ lost a starting DB in the pre season so Patrick Peterson had to start which wasn't the plan. He learned as the season went on and we all know how good he is on special teams already. Calais Campbell is probably the best DE you haven't heard of. He's 6-8 plays extremely smart and used his height block multiple kicks and passes this year.

A solid draft and a couple key guys that were out for the season return and I like the Cardinal's chances next year for the post season. They split with the 49'ers which is the only other good team in the division.

Fitzgerald ended up with 1,411 yards. Only 4th receiver in history to record 4 seasons of 1,400+. (others being Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison...not bad company eh?) hmm I wonder what QBs were throwing to those receives when they recorded those stats...hmmm.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I wonder who is going to make Flynn the next Cassel and/or Kolb? Amazing what some media hype can do to make a backup all of a sudden making top-10 starter money.

Not to discount Flynn's performance, but...
en kærlighed småkager
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I see the Packers and Ravens in the SB. I don't think NE and that horrific defense can stop Ray Rice and the Ravens have a defense that can hit Brady often. If Suggs pictures Roethlisberger at center, he will probably end up breaking sissy Brady in half.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

FITZGERALD: Pretty sure Jice is just criticizing him to bait Winnow (and me). You're not impressed by his numbers because he plays in an offense where he's the only target? You're aware he put up identical numbers when playing with Kurt Warner, Anquan Boldin, and Edge James? And you're impressed by Cruz/Nelson/Gronk because they play on teams that spread it around? You're aware that those guys played with QBs that racked up 4,933, 5,161, and 5,235 yards, respectively? The immortal Kolb/Skelton duo notched 3,868. The touchdown numbers, by the by, are 29, 51, and 39 versus 20.

Although that shouldn't take anything away from Cruz/Nelson/Gronk. They are great players who had incredible and really impressive seasons. Especially Cruz. Bottom line is that notching 1400 yards is pretty fucking impressive no matter what offense you play in.

PRESEASON PREDICTIONS REVIEW: Here's what I picked!

NFC Divisions:

Packers- CORRECT
Eagles- WRONG
Falcons- WRONG
Rams- VERY VERY WRONG

NFC Wild Cards:

Saints- WRONG
Cowboys- WRONG

All told: I picked 3/6 playoff teams, but only 1/6 playoff spots correctly. The Eagles and Cowboys weren't horrific picks, the Rams were, and I whiffed badly on the 49ers.

AFC Divisions:

Steelers- WRONG
Patriots- CORRECT
Chargers- WRONG
Houston- CORRECT

AFC Wild Cards:

Ravens- WRONG
Browns- VERY VERY WRONG

All told: 4/6 playoff teams, 2 of them in the correct positions. Steelers and Chargers both lost their divisions on tiebreakers. AFC picks were much stronger than NFC picks. But let's not forget that I picked the Chargers to win the Super Bowl. I also picked the Texans to make the AFC Championship game. If they were full strength, I'd stand by that pick and be pretty pleased with it.

PLAYOFF PICKS:

Cincy over Houston (close call)
Steelers over Broncos (not close call, even with no Mendenhall, hobbled Ben, and no Clark)

New Orleans over Detroit (Brees trumps the Lions offense)
Atlanta over Giants (Not really confident in this one)

Patriots over Cincinnati (Patriots have a cushy road)
Ravens over Steelers (I think the Steelers are just too banged up to compete)

Packers over Atlanta
New Orleans over San Francisco (I like San Fran but just not confident in them as a playoff team yet)

Patriots over Ravens (Joe Flacco is not the guy to exploit the Pats D)
Saints over Packers

Patriots over Saints

I reserve the right to revisit my predictions on a weekly basis.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Jice Virago »

I am the master baiter! But I maintain that its easier for a WR to pile up huge numbers when he is the only one getting the ball tossed to him, as opposed to places where the ball gets spread around to double digit numbers of recievers every game. I consider Megatron's numbers suspect for much the same reason; Stafford hardly ever throws to anyone else deep. The one area where I do like Fitz is his YAC numbers, which are really solid and, in my mind, the best mark of a truely good modern era reciever.

Anyhow, looking back at my picks for the season I do not feel so bad, but I deffinately could have done better:

AFC-
North- Steelers -Kinda Wrong, did not think Ravens would sweep them
South- Colts -Peyton being out of it changed this day one, so no embaressment here.
East- Jets -I was right about the free agent pickups being a bust for NE, but wrong about the entire rest of this division.
West- Chiefs? -No one had the Broncos to win this shithole division and literally anyone could have won it the last two weeks.
Wild Cards- New England, Ravens -Sorta off, but underestimated both teams this season (or really overestimated the Steelers)

NFC-
North- Packers -Correct, but slightly overlooked the Lions backing into the playoffs.
South- Falcons -Wrong
East- Eagles -Wrong haha, although they did end up in the hunt longer than it seemed they might.
West- Not Arizona -Sorta Wrong, did not anticipate SF being ready this year
Wild Cards- Chicago, Tampa Bay - What the fuck was I thinking with Tampa? At least Chicago was in the hunt....

At least I got most of the teams in the hunt correct.

Dwight Eisenhower
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

West- Chiefs? -No one had the Broncos to win this shithole division and literally anyone could have won it the last two weeks.
You got that right. I was just discussing the various frailties with my OAK fan co-worker.

DEN 120-1 odds to win SB! :D
en kærlighed småkager