NFL News/Discussion 2011

What do you think about the sports world?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

NFL News/Discussion 2011

Post by Canelek »

Quite a flurry of activity since the lockout was lifted yesterday!

Orton to Miami deal imminent! KYLE FUCKING ORTON!
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: NFL News/Discussion 2011

Post by Aslanna »

Go Pack Go!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Its going to be madening...plus you will probably see a lot of trades later than usual. What is the trade deadline with the new deal?
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

I am going to be the usual idiot I am this time of the year and put my predictions up for ridicule:
AFC-
North- Steelers
The SB loss will be toxic for this team, but they don't really have any serious opposition in their division this year, beyond the Ravens who can't seem to overcome their compulsive self destructive tendancies when playing them head to head. The SB exposed their defense, though, so I think they will be done after the divisional round of the playoffs.

South- Colts
Again, no real competition, but the Colts are in better overall shape with a non-rapist under center. Colts will go deep in the playoffs, thanks to a nice soft schedule giving them Home Field.

East- Jets
New England is going to long for the days of the Randy Moss outbreaks with the disfunctional people they added in the offseason. Jets have all of their strengths in place from last year and are a hard nosed team in a division of flashy teams. They will start slow and end strong, just like the last couple years.

West- Chiefs?
This is a division of incompetants and anyone could win it, but the safe bet is KC because they got a taste of the playoffs last year.

Wild Cards- New England, Ravens
Both teams still have the talent to get in the door, both will be eliminated early, due to age (Ravens) or chemestry (Pats.)

NFC-
North- Packers
The Bears will give them a run for their money (and know how to win against GB), but the Packers match up more favorably against the cross division games than Chicago does. The problem is that everyone now knows that the Packers have zero running game and will exploit that heavily, especially late in the season. I also think Rodgers will get his dick knocked in the dirt at some point this season, but thats actually not as bad as it might be thanks to Flynn being capable. The defense will be solid again, but I expect McCarthy to believe his own hype to the point where the ball gets put in the air way too much. Some of the other playoff teams will be waiting for it this time around.

South- Falcons
Eagles tried to be the most improved team from FA moves, but Atlanta actually did it. I think they are going to be very strong this year.

East- Eagles
Cowboys will continue their death spiral and neither of the other teams is in any position to challenge the Eagles. Unfortunately, I think the success of the Vick aquisition has gone to their heads and they pulled a Miami Heat in the offseason. They will make it in to the playoffs, but won't go far.

West- Not Arizona
This is the hardest one to predict, but I think actually St Louis has the best shot at taking it this year, thanks to some solid growth from last year and steady progress with their roster. Everyone else is in clusterfuck mode at the moment. Pete Caroll will wind up dominating the division eventually, but he has a year or two to get to that point and his roster is heading backwars this year.

Wild Cards- Chicago, Tampa Bay
Both solid teams with a good hardnosed foundation on the way up. Neither will go especially deep in the playoffs, but both will wreck whoever they play, leaving them physically spent the following week.

Final Predicitions-
AFC Championship-
Colts hosting Jets (Jets win)

NFC Championship-
Atlanta hosting Green Bay (Falcons win)

Superbowl-
Falcons over the Jets 21-17

I think this year the lack of a real running game is going to hurt both Indi and GB. Both will run deep in the playoffs, but once they get set against a team that knows them and can play tough physical football, then things will break down for them. This could very easily be a Colts Packers SB, however, but my gut tells me that teams without a solid run game only suprise people one season. Whereas, strong defensive teams with a ball control offense are much more consistant and wear down the flashier teams (see Colts vs Jets in playoffs last year).

Let the ridiculing begin!
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

OK this is early but if Jice has the bag to do it, how can I not follow him off the cliff...

AFC North - Steelers. They need to beef up the corners but the D-line is getting younger gradually. Best linebacking corps in the NFL, bar none. O-line looked a little better last year and the O will benefit from Roethlisberger not having a suspension. Ravens are the only real opponent in the division and they're just not good enough. Cinncinati will finish behind the Browns.

South - Colts. Big caveat here is Peyton's neck. If he is not healthy, the Texans could sneak in there and grab it.

East - Patriots. The Jets didn't improve at all, the Pats added potential upgrades with both Ochocinco and Haynesworth. Miami isn't on the radar anymore than Buffalo.

West - Chargers. Rivers will lead them just enough to win it but they won't get any farther. KC will try and fail. Denver will be lucky to figure out who their QB by the end of the season.

wild cards to the Jets and Ravens

NFC North - Packers. The champs haven't lost much and are getting bodies back... and they were already good enough to win the Superbowl. The Bears adding Roy Williams and Marion Barber won't make up for losing Olsen. The Vikings adding Donovan McNabb could be interesting but... Detroit will continue slow improvement.

South - Falcons. Another team that seems to be doing a lot of the right things. Julio Jones is going to give Matt Ryan another weapon. Saints will be a gator in the weeds that can't reach high enough to grab the Falcons. Tampa will look good but not good enough.

East - The Eagles win the division but thats about it. The Giants will be their rival, not the C'boyz.

West - Fuck it, I hate saying it but Winnow's Cardinals will eke it out in this weak division. I hope the 49ers can steal it but Kolb and Fitzgerald are going to love each other until they lose on Wildcard Weekend.

wildcards go to the Saints and Vikings

AFC Championship
Pats over the Steelers in Foxborough

NFC Championship
Falcons over Packers in Atlanta

Superbowl
Patriots over Falcons in a shootout.
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Both are well done analysis of last years teams with the pickups made here at the trade deadline. Here's mine, and as we can all agree, its just as messy of a toss up at this point :) But its definitely more fun to do this now!

AFC

North - Ravens. It pains me to put them here as a Steelers fan, but they have improved again this off season offensively. They put up some big numbers last year, and I expect it to continue this year. They lost a few key people, McClain being a big one, but then they replaced him with Leach...Ozzie Newsome is a god to that city, they are very luck to have someone that smart and tactful. Again, pains me to give them any praise...so I heap it on the front office :)

South - Jaguars. Its one of those years in the AFC South. None of the teams really stand out. The Colts defense is abysmal. That, and Jack Del Rio is due for one of his crazy good seasons...where they immediately lose in the playoffs.

East - Jets. Rex Ryan is the real deal. He's backed up all the talk 3 years running by getting his teams to the AFC championship. Now, that last hurdle, with the bigger hurdle right behind it, are a different story. They didn't improve, but didn't need to, really. (This pick here is contingent upon the Pats getting caught cheating yet again, of course).

West - Chiefs. The Chargers will do well, I'm sure, but I'm going with the Chiefs this year. Great gameplans last year, with a lot of players that "came out of no where"...and are young and fast. I expect more of the same, since they got that playoff taste that someone mentioned above.

Wild Cards - Steelers and Pats

NFC

North - Lions. Why not? They looked solid in most games last year, and have improved again this year...that defense is becoming very scary. I'm sure it will be the packers in the end, but super bowl winners all seem to have a slump from all the media blitzing and shit that winners go through. You don't see it nationwide, cause its not, but in the state they play for, its non stop, and it takes away from normal off season working out, etc. Happened to a lot of teams besides the Patriots, but they cheat, so... The Bears got worse, Lovie is a fucking joke to me, and Bears fans should be calling for his head, IMO. The Vikings don't know who they are or what they are supposed to do after losing that NFC Championship game 2 years ago.

South - Falcons. I think this one should be an easy one. Change nothing, that's the only advice I can give to Atlanta. Luck will have to go their way eventually.

East - hahahahahahhaahahahhhhhahhahaaha...errr...I mean, Eagles. I rofl'd because I live here in the DC area, and the skins are such a joke. Its so hilarious, i truly wish all other NFL fans could be here for redskins radio/tv and stuff. I can't even begin to tell you how awesome it is to not be a redskins fan, and to hear what they got going on in their drama here. Dallas...well, new coach, so that's a great start for them...but their team is just not right imo. There's something missing. Giants...well, fuck NY.

West - Rams. I was going to say the 49'rs, but I think the Rams are clearly the most "stable" team in the division, and stability speaks a long way to getting to .500, which will surely win this shithole division.

Wild Card - Packers, Saints (yes, I realize it will probably be the lions here, and the packers winning the division, but what fun is there picking favorites?)

AFC Championship
Chiefs over the Jets

NFC Championship
Atlanta over the Eagles (the eagles making their triumphant return to perennial NFC Championship losers)

Super Bowl
Falcons over the Chefs. Yep, painted wrong on the field and everything, just to disrespect the Chiefs even more! and of course it will be a close game. its the super bowl...the slow play and the league will ensure it!
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Jice Virago »

So now that openning weekend is upon us do some of the rest of you pussies want to get off the fence and make predictions?

I am still behind mine, though depending on how long Manning is out, you could put the Texans in the Colts place, in which case I think the Steelers would be returning to the Superbowl, but still losing to the Falcons. And I am not sure what the big love of the Saints is in the sports media world, but I am not sure how a team that had no major offseason upgrades does better against the even stronger Falcons in the same division. Of course, they still love the Super Chargers too, despite three straight Norv Turner late season collapses, so there is that.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Sure.

NFC Divisions:

Packers
Eagles
Falcons
Rams

NFC Wild Cards:

Saints
Cowboys

AFC Divisions:

Steelers
Patriots
Chargers
Houston

AFC Wild Cards:

Ravens
Browns

Wild Card:

Eagles over Saints
Cowboys over Rams
Steelers over Browns
Ravens over Patriots

Divisional:

Eagles over Falcons
Packers over Cowboys
Chargers over Steelers
Houston over Ravens

Championships:

Packers over Eagles
Chargers over Houston

Super Bowl:

Chargers over Packers
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Sueven wrote:Chargers over Packers
One can dream :)
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Chargers, huh? Well, I guess if you keep sitting on the breaking ball, you are bound to make contact!
en kærlighed småkager
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Gotta pick someone! My rationale was: "Phillip Rivers is pretty good."
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Sueven wrote:Gotta pick someone! My rationale was: "Phillip Rivers is pretty good."

Haha, true true. Hate the little bitch, but dude can chuck it. That, and the rest of the division is rebuilding... Even as a super-homer, I can't imagine Denver being better than 8-8 this season, barring 4-5 players having breakout seasons!

AFC West finish order (no wildcard to see here, move along):

SD: Coach, GM suck balls. Big tall receivers and a yearly MVP candidate QB. Special Teams must prove that they can 180 from a year in which they were the worst ST unit in the NFL. Aging Defense.
DEN: Running Off/Def doesn't seem ready yet, but passrush has potential to be special with Rookie Von Miller and the return of DOOM. Team still 1-2 solid drafts away due to former coach decimating the team.
KC: Still need work, and their QB is a bit banged up.
OAK: Awesome running attack, questionable QB, OLine, secondary. Al Davis still alive.
en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Canelek wrote: AFC West finish order (no wildcard to see here, move along):

SD: Coach, GM suck balls. Big tall receivers and a yearly MVP candidate QB. Special Teams must prove that they can 180 from a year in which they were the worst ST unit in the NFL. Aging Defense.
DEN: KYLE FUCKING ORTON!
KC: Still need work, and their QB is a bit banged up.
OAK: Awesome running attack, questionable QB, OLine, secondary. Al Davis still alive.
Fixed that for ya'
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

KYLE FUCKING ORTON!

Thanks!
en kærlighed småkager
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

you should be happy Canno! Orton won one for ya! (yeah I know its the rejects from the Ohio State Pens but it still counts...)
Wulfran Moondancer
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

The Lions straight up murdered Kansas City yesterday. It was weird being on the winning end of the lopsided score for once!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:The Lions straight up murdered Kansas City yesterday. It was weird being on the winning end of the lopsided score for once!
Even worse, Jamaal Charles went out with a knee injury. I hate their coach (previous Offensive Coordinator from the Cardinals). I hope he's fired after the season so the team can take full advantage of Charles if he's able to come back form the injury.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Jice Virago »

That Eagles game was pretty much a microcosm of what I expect their entire season to be like.
Holy crap did the Bears look terrible against the Saints. Thats the worst O Line play I have ever seen.
I guess Bellicheat's new gimmick is sprioting loopholes in the substitution rules by abusing the no huddle. I expect the rules to be changed on that next year.
Romo actually won a gutsy comeback game, of course it was against the least disciplined team in the entire NFL.
The Titans game showed why I don't think Baltimore will win the division this year. To little consistancy.
Packers giving up yards has more to do with McCarthy being allergic to running than anything else. Coach McFatty needs to learn to control the pace of the game.
The Vikings second half implosion was hilarious. I knew AP would lie down like a big old snake once he got his contract, and his second half stats proved that.
If the Rams ever develop a red zone offense they will actually be a mediocre team, instead of a slightly shitty one.
Arizona might actually make .500 this season, which qualifies for dominating that division.....
Seattle sure sucks this year and they have no apparent coherent plan at QB for the forseable future.
Lions look pretty good, but we'll see what happens after they play the Bears and Packers.
Falcons / Eagles game was the best game of the week.

Dwight Eisenhower
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Jice Virago wrote:I guess Bellicheat's new gimmick is sprioting loopholes in the substitution rules by abusing the no huddle. I expect the rules to be changed on that next year.

You guys need to get over it.. Belichick (and Brady.. So Dreamy!) is awesome! Go Patriots whoooo!

What was funny was someone sent me a video of the two Giants guys falling down so they could get an injury timeout thing. How pathetic is that!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Jice Virago wrote: Arizona...dominating
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I don't really have any reason to hate the Pats, aside from the Boston accents. Well, and when they play Denver. And, well, for Josh McDaniels, who is responsible for trading away so much talent, making inexplicable (TEBOW, Moreno) draft picks and generally destroying a once-proud and respected franchise...

Other than that, Pats are fucking peachy.
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Are you saying the Denver Donkeys were respectable? :P
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

They used to be!
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:They used to be!

Back when horse face was the QB!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I remember recording myself beating the crap out of the computer in John Elway's Quarterback. I tried to show it to my grandfather, who was a KC fan....he wasn't about to watch Elway if he wasn't playing his team.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Elway can likely still take a giant square bite out of people! Careful feeding him apples!
en kærlighed småkager
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Fuck NE. In. the. ass.

That's all.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Lions not only won, but came back from a 20 to 0 lead at half time! There's like, a buzz about the Lions, lol.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

How can anyone hate New England!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Lions not only won, but came back from a 20 to 0 lead at half time! There's like, a buzz about the Lions, lol.

Took them 10 years but it looks like they're turning the corner!

Cardinals seem to be on the way down again. They just lost to what was the worst team in the NFL until the Cardinals lost to them.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Canelek wrote:KYLE FUCKING ORTON!
Read a fun stat this morning...
Since that 6-0 start in 2009, the Broncs have gone 6-19 with Orton at the helm. :(

Was hoping he wouldn't follow up his week two gem vs the Bengals with a stinker like that.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
Canelek wrote:KYLE FUCKING ORTON!
Read a fun stat this morning...
Since that 6-0 start in 2009, the Broncs have gone 6-19 with Orton at the helm. :(

Was hoping he wouldn't follow up his week two gem vs the Bengals with a stinker like that.

If the Broncos are trying to tank the season by losing on purpose to get Andrew Luck in the draft, the Cardinals helped out by losing to Seattle this week. Seattle should have been 0-16 this year.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Suck for Luck would be preferrable right now.

Actually, the run D looked great! Without Champ, Hasselback was able to shred te secondary though. And once again, Orton turns the ball over in field goal range. Yay team!
en kærlighed småkager
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

It won't get any easier for the Broncos next week in Green Bay. I thought the Packers game was kind of ugly and the win had a bad feel for me for some reason. Then I remembered it was the Bears and felt happy.

The Vikings actually pissed me off that they didn't win. They needed to run the ball more. I want to believe that it isn't McNab but the more I watched all I could think of is how much they suck.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Yeah, AP got his money contract, so AP lay down now. Three first half leads blown. Pathetic vikings.

I wanted Chicago to win yesterday just so I could say, "The division leading Detroit Lions!*" without the asterisk. I can still say it, but its not as much fun since its "shared".

But I *can* say Division leading Buffalo Bills! :)

Something like 8 years straight of at least one of the division's worst team winning the division the following year. I went with Detroit because their defense is legit, and their offense clearly can score...I had not expected the Bills to be 3-0 at this point...not at all.

Cane, I don't even know what to say....i really want it to work out for coach Fox. Dude has made skills as a head coach, but damn he can't get a break.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Wait, does this mean that Broncos fans are already sick of Tim Tebow?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I'd say half of the Broncos fans, maybe less, want Tebow to start. I am for it, just to have some excitement. Tbh though, there is no answer at QB currently on their roster.
en kærlighed småkager
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

The problem with Bronco fans is they see Cam Newton lighting it up and seem to think Tebow can do the same thing, although no one else, including the Denver front office, seems to think so. Josh McDaniels fucked Denver soooo bad...

The Patriots, why shouldn't I hate them? Their name is pretentious (no one else is patriotic in the US?), their coach is an asshole who is willing to use illegal tactics to get his wins (yes I know most people in pro sports would too if they could get away with it and it gave them an edge, but with most it is unproven, and until it is, they get the benefit of that slim doubt), and their players for the most part are a bunch of arrogant asses (especially the retirees in the broadcast booth). I love seeing Rodney Harrison, Teddy Bruschi and co try and justify themselves for over-rating their old mates and downplaying their competition... especially after the Pats lose.

I'm surprised to admit I feel almost sorry for Jay Cutler (ALMOST) for the hits he is taking, and I think Michael Vick needs to learn to STFU and take his hits like a man. Seriously, all the QBs that hang onto the ball longer and extend plays take shots, even in the pocket. One guy that actually HAD a case to bitch was Roethlisberger last year when Ngata broke his nose: they could have thrown a number of different flags (roughing the passer, illegal hands to the face, facemasking) and they should have fined Ngata (it was, after all a headshot and the evidence was beyond dispute), but they didn't. I think that was when Steeler fans starting getting behind Big Ben again. Maybe Jack Lambert was right and QBs should wear dresses... or at least Michelle Vick-tim.

Holy shit I can't believe the Lions are roaring: they've been toothless for so long. Can they keep Stafford upright? Calvin Johnson sure hopes so.

I'm surprised at the Bills: I'm not ashamed to say I am becoming a fan of Fitzpatrick and Co. I'm also surprised at the Raiders but wonder if they're for real: the AFC west is almost as weak as the NFC west. I'm also surprised at the Rams but not in a good way: they need to do something; folding up the tents because Steven Jackson is hurting is not the answer.
Wulfran Moondancer
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

I actually had Fitzpatrick picked as my big sleeper for fantasy football. Tried to get my buddy to not take a QB until the 6th round and grab him....all he kept saying was "Fitzpatrick? Fitzpatrick? Really? I don't see that in any of my scouting." Dumbass. Anyway, I am definitely pulling for Buffalo and hope he lights it up all year.

With the Broncorpses, what do they have to lose by playing Tebow really? At least he will put asses in seats and sell jerseys. They are not a Super Bowl type of team so they might as well just trot him out there and let him sink or swim. Maybe Orton will get hurt and take that tough choice out of the coaches hands. They would be better off putting him under center and going back to being a running team that runs a lot of QB rollouts where he actually may thrive.

Roethlisberger is a tough SOB. If Brady played behind that Steeler line, he would have stat lines that would make Gus Frerotte look like a Hallf of Famer. A friggin car couldn't even kill Big Ben...but his o-line might.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Wulfran wrote:The Patriots, why shouldn't I hate them? Their name is pretentious (no one else is patriotic in the US?)
If Sarah Palin were a sports person I think this is something she would say.

Considering their location I don't see an issue with them being called the New England Patriots. I don't think that limits anyone else from being "patriotic" if they choose to be. That's like saying what's up with the Green Bay Packers? How pretentious. Is nobody else packing anything in the US!

--
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Come on, the Patriots are pretty hateable. Got caught cheating, jackass coach, arrogant players, obnoxious fans. Isn't that enough?
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Jice Virago »

The Pats are a souless win at all costs franchise with a ton of bandwagon fans. That said, if they had a different coach who wasn't so blatant about abusing the rules and a QB who gets worshiped like Jesus just because he has had top notch talent around him his entire career, I might feel differently. Listening to the Bandwagon Pats fans rationalize blowing a big lead to the Bills is worth all the hate, however. It was like when the SB crowd started changing 16-1 a couple years ago against the Giants. Also, the Ochocinco and Hanesworth issues are already starting, earlier than I thought they would. That said, they are a better team this year than I thought they would be, but their only really quality win was against the Chargers. Their defense is going to royally bone them the first time they have to face a team with a real running game.

Packers beating the Bears was expected, but I didn't expect the Bears to have that tough of a time. Holding call on that kickoff return at the end was bullshit, though. Cutler will not last the season, at this rate.

Lions are still good and that big of a comeback is amazing, but there is no reason they ever should have placed themselves in that position in the first place. Also, wtf is wrong with the Vikes that now their D collapses and AP is too lazy to run out a three score lead?

Cardinals losing to Seattle was hilarious. I can't really add anything further to that.

I was wrong about the Chiefs and the Falcons. The Chiefs I can understand, but the Falcons baffle me. Its the same team in the same division, but the cannot seem to stop shooting themselves in the foot. Their timing is all off and they have no focus. Unless they pull it together soon, they will miss the playoffs and NO and TB will be in by default.

Oakland is a bit of a shock too. I figured the lack of consistancy at the top would cause this team to fall apart, especially since Cable swept the division last season, but the new guy is holding things together pretty well. The manner in which they beat the Jets was impressive.

As much as I hate the Cowboys and Romo, he worked his balls off for that win and I have to respect him for it. Of course, if anyone other than Sexy Rex was under center for the Skins, they might not have spotted the Cowboys nine points.

Buffalo vs New England was the best game of the week.

Dwight Eisenhower
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Per Woody Paige @ Denver Post:
During preseason, when I asked Fox about the Broncos' quarterback competition, he said: "I prefer a 'gamer' to a good practice player . . . I want someone who will execute under pressure in a game."

Orton is a good practice player.

He is not a gamer. His overall record as the Broncos' starter is 12-19. The team has won four of Orton's last 20 — a winning percent of 20. He is 0.00 percent when the team trails by three or more at halftime.

"Right now, in our opinion, Kyle Orton gives us the best chance to win," Fox reiterated this week.
This is pretty much the deal. In comeback wins, Orton is the anti-Elway. The Bronco fanbase is so apathetic now, that just removing the boring factor via benching Orton is an upgrade. Sure, Oakland can do it with a mediocre QB, but they kind of have a guy who is sorta one of the best players in the league...sorta, I mean, maybe a little... in McFadden.

Denver has two running backs, both of which pretty much suck. Receivers can't throw to themselves!!! (Maybe find where Randle El is hiding out?) :)
en kærlighed småkager
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

But Orton's tall! And can throw the ball 80 yards down field! And has that majestic, Statue-of-Liberty-like lack of mobility. And the pocket awarness to match!
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

In 2002, the Bucs lost their first game of the season and went on to win the Super Bowl. This season, the Bucs are on pace to do it again.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

masteen wrote:But Orton's tall! And can throw the ball 80 yards down field! And has that majestic, Statue-of-Liberty-like lack of mobility. And the pocket awarness to match!
And don't forget his tendency to take a sack + fumble, throw a pick, or simply drop the ball while in field goal range to take the air out of the team, fans, coaches, owner and pretty much anyone in the vicinity aside from the winning team and their fans, et al.

The only comeback win, where Denver had been behind by 3 or more points at halftime, in almost two years, was against Houston last year. PRO HINT: Orton was not playing that game.
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Are the Lions legit?!? They beat the Cowboys with another spectacular comeback. Despite my intentions, I'm excited for the Lions. I'm like a battered wife coming back for the 10th time. "They'll change! This time they really mean it!"
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

That's three straight games the Cardinals just had to make another 1st down to run out the clock and failed. I could easily blame the refs for this loss since the Victor Cruz call was bogus but the bottom line in all three of these losses was that the Cardinals had the lead and the ball and couldn't run out the clock late in the 4th.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Winnow wrote:That's three straight games the Cardinals just had to make another 1st down to run out the clock and failed. I could easily blame the refs for this loss since the Victor Cruz call was bogus but the bottom line in all three of these losses was that the Cardinals had the lead and the ball and couldn't run out the clock late in the 4th.
When I saw that replay (this morning on Mike & Mike on ESPN), and listened to the rule, I'm siding with the Giants and the refs (although I will admit to bias against Winnow...er...anyone from Arizona).

When I see the Lions over the Cowboys, I can't help but wonder was this a Lion win or a Cowboy loss: the 2 pick 6's that Romo threw weigh pretty large... but Stafford and Megatron did their jobs to cement the comeback too.

Too bad the Jets don't have an offense: they could have taken that game against the Ravens (no, I am still not buying into Baltimore).

Will Donovan McNabb win another game?

What can the Steelers do to stop the bleeding? Big Ben, Mendenhall, Harrison and Smith all down to varying degrees after yesterday. O-line is already a triage case.

If they lose next week does Denver begin experimenting with Brady Quinn and Tebow?

As much as I hate on the Pats, I have to credit Brady (who I don't always like) for his response about passing Joe Montana on the all time TD passes list: it was a classy, humble thing to say.
Wulfran Moondancer
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Jice Virago wrote:I am going to be the usual idiot I am this time of the year and put my predictions up for ridicule:
I don't think you can be ridiculed enough for those predictions: :lol: