Grats Japan! (Womens Soccer World Cup Champs)

What do you think about the sports world?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Grats Japan! (Womens Soccer World Cup Champs)

Post by Winnow »

What a great Women's World Cup Final!

The Japanese coach and team were smiling and being so loose after overtime ended, you could feel that something was up.

Watching the entire game. It was hard fought on both sides. Even with the last yellow and red cards, it was one of the fairest soccer games with the least amount of flopping I've seen.

Amazing goal scored by Japan in the second half of overtime.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Grats Japan! (Womens Soccer World Cup Champs)

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I see 3 things wrong with this title. Japan, women's sports, and soccer.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I see 3 things wrong with this title. Japan, women's sports, and soccer.
3 responses:

racist, chauvinist, and world's most popular sport
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Portland has a MLS team as of this year. People are all gaga over it. It may be more popular here than it traditionally has, but it is still pretty boring to most of us in this country.
Just because everyone else likes it, that doesn't mean the rest of us have to.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:Portland has a MLS team as of this year. People are all gaga over it. It may be more popular here than it traditionally has, but it is still pretty boring to most of us in this country.
Just because everyone else likes it, that doesn't mean the rest of us have to.
I watched one soccer match this year.

Did you watch it? It was highly entertaining.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Last time I saw a game was when I was in Jamaica i think. I also played when I was young. I never got into it. Not knocking the sport--I know a bunch of folks who dig it. As for "international" sports, I'd prefer to watch union rugby or cricket. Probably due to the faster-paced action.
en kærlighed småkager
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I'm glad for the apparent uptick in popularity that soccer is getting right now. As a life-long soccer fan, it means there might be more soccer coverage available. As for the Women's World Cup, I find that women's soccer at this level of play is just as enjoyable to watch as men's. I like competitive, competent play, and these ladies (at least once past group play) have it. Birmingham has no hope of getting an MLS team, but I hope to at least see one in the region eventually. I've been pulling for the Timbers this season since they're the new guys.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xatrei wrote:As for the Women's World Cup, I find that women's soccer at this level of play is just as enjoyable to watch as men's. I like competitive, competent play, and these ladies (at least once past group play) have it.

I played Soccer as a kid. It's a great sport to play. I'm not a fan of watching soccer in general because the flopfest men's pro soccer puts on is a huge turn off. On the other hand, the game played by US and Japan women today was outstanding. Zero flopping, and they helped each other up when there were penalties. I didn't even root for the US in this one...well maybe just a little. I was impressed with what the Japanese had done to get this far in the tournament and of course, it made for a good story with the Tsunami disaster. I sat back and watched this game for the sake of watching it, not caring who won.

There were some great goals scored.

Scoreless 1st half. 1-1 second half, 2-2 after overtime, and then the penalty kicks. It was all great to watch. I'm still only going to watch World Cups and Olympics when it comes to Soccer. NFL is the only sport I actually watch religiously anymore. I will be watching Men's and Women's US teams when the Olympics arrive.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Xatrei wrote:I'm glad for the apparent uptick in popularity that soccer is getting right now. As a life-long soccer fan, it means there might be more soccer coverage available. As for the Women's World Cup, I find that women's soccer at this level of play is just as enjoyable to watch as men's. I like competitive, competent play, and these ladies (at least once past group play) have it. Birmingham has no hope of getting an MLS team, but I hope to at least see one in the region eventually. I've been pulling for the Timbers this season since they're the new guys.
That's odd to hear, only because this town is largely forgotten due to our distance from a major media market. Seattle isn't too far, but I'd hardly call it a media market!

We lost a AAA baseball team to facilitate the Timbers, but as much as I disliked losing the Beavs, I must say tha the townsfolk seem pretty happy about it.
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I rarely follow MLS, but I will catch the occasional game since the season doesn't follow the same calendar as the Bundesliga. We used to have a USL team here until last year when they were moved to Orlando (Austin Azteks FC). I think the lack of divisions for promotion/relegation is what drives me away from any interest in MLS.

As for the Women's World Cup, the competition has definitely picked up. I never would have expected the German women to get knocked out so early. Heads will roll!