Morons

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Morons

Post by Winnow »

I dropped off my car to have the oil changed. I come back 45 minutes later and they tell me they won't work on the car because they think it has a blown rod in the engine.

I have a belt in my engine that ticks each time in revolves around one time. It's been like this for 5+ years. Perfectly good belt except for whatever defect on the inside of it makes it tick against metal once per revolution. The same place has changed my oil the last three previous times with the exact same belt without a peep about it.

I'm losing faith in humanity. Wasted 45 minutes of my time due to idiots. What's with oil change goons trying to diagnose engine problems? Nice work!

I don't see how people deal with cretins on a day to day basis.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: Morons

Post by Boogahz »

Just avoiding potential liability issues. Just go replace the belt ya lazy bum
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:Just avoiding potential liability issues. Just go replace the belt ya lazy bum
The only time you can hear it is if you have the hood up. If it's liability, I'd be happy to sign a waiver. The point is they should have called me. They had my cell. Wasting 45 mins isn't cool. Call me. I would explain to the rod knocking theorists that it's just the belt and they could go about their oil changing business. Now they've lost a multiple repeat customer. (not that anyone except upper management would care)
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Winnow wrote:(not that anyone except upper management would care)
Even that's a stretch.

Nissan asked why I stopped using their service dept; "becasue you did a shitty job last time". They'd likely have recitified the problem given the opportunity but my time's worth more than the bother of fooling with them further.

I almost always change my own oil, much faster and a much better filter. Most dealer supplied OEM filters (and NAPA) are Purolator or Wix, both are good filters. Oil change shops usually use rebranded Frams, which are absolute crap today. Not generally a big deal unless you keep vehicles forever like I do or live\drive in a dusty\gritty area.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

I find it funny they would actually mistake the sound of a ticking belt with that of rod knock. Idiots is right!
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

There is no way a belt "click" is the same as a piston rod "knock". I agree...fucking morons.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Unless its the timing belt, depending on the car that would add up.