New phone

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

New phone

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Thinking of getting a Samsung Galaxy S II, any input? Seems to be getting very good reviews.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: New phone

Post by Winnow »

Unless you are anti iPhone, you've got about a week (June 6) before Apple reveals their latest. Speculation is a small upgrade 4GS release with faster processor and better cameras. More importantly, iOS 5 is supposed to be unveiled, with a new UI. As much as I like iPhones/pads, even I recognize a better way to navigate apps and improved alert system is overdue. I don't think the 3.5 inch screen will be increased until the iPhone 5 which is also overdue.

Galaxy S II looks really nice. Like the AMOLED 4.3 inch screen. I have huge issues with the quality of Android Apps and reliability of background multitasking but if I had to go with an Android phone, this one looks like it'd be at or near the top of my list. On this week' TWIT podcast there was a general consesnsus of hating samsungs Android overlay UI on top of generic Android but I believe the same may be said for any third party mods to Android's OS.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

iPhones here are - generally - only sold with plans that run in the $100-$120 a month, and I hate that shit. So that's why I'm mostly looking at android.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:iPhones here are - generally - only sold with plans that run in the $100-$120 a month, and I hate that shit. So that's why I'm mostly looking at android.
That's insane. I would look for something else too. You would think opening the iPhone up to other providers would cause some sort of price war, but instead the other providers will just up their rates to make more money like AT&T. The "deals" will be had at contract signing with discounts on the phone itself and other such things.
Mak
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mak »

I just picked up the Samsung Charge about a week ago and I absolutely LOVE that Super AMOLED+ screen. Galaxy SII has a dual core 1.2GHz processor and a gig of RAM. What's not to like? (I don't even mind the TouchWiz, but I will probably flash the voodoo kernal at some point.)
Makora

Too often it seems it is the peaceful and innocent who are slaughtered. In this a lesson may be found that it may not be prudential to be either too peaceful or too innocent. One does not survive with wolves by becoming a sheep.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:iPhones here are - generally - only sold with plans that run in the $100-$120 a month, and I hate that shit. So that's why I'm mostly looking at android.
That's insane. I would look for something else too. You would think opening the iPhone up to other providers would cause some sort of price war, but instead the other providers will just up their rates to make more money like AT&T. The "deals" will be had at contract signing with discounts on the phone itself and other such things.
I just checked, the cheapest monthly payment I can get away with for an iPhone is $97. And that's with no reduction in purchase price - so I'd be committed to a $97/month plan for a minimum of 6 months AND be paying around $6-700 for the phone. I can get the Samsung Galaxy SII for $400 and have a $50 plan with 10GB 4g service, free sms & free calls to landlines and cells in .dk. So yeah...

And Mak, yeah - I am thinking about the flashing thing if the Samsung interface bothers me too much, I doubt it will though - I've played around with a friend's S1 and it seemed fine to me.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I just picked up a Windows Phone device from Bell Canada yesterday (The LG Quantum).

It's not the sexiest and sleekest of WP7 device but the price was right. 0$ for the phone on a 1 year contract.