Nintendo 3DS

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Nintendo 3DS

Post by Aslanna »

As part of its latest financials, Nintendo has admitted that sales of the 3DS have disappointed across all regions and not just earthquake-hit Japan. Looking to ensure the success of the console, Nintendo has outlined some tactics it will use. These include, more chances to test out the 3DS, encouraging people to adjust the 3D depth slider and enhancement of 3D content. Essentially, Nintendo admit that there is no 'easy road' to encourage adoption, but there is clear intent to purchase the device from consumers, just not right now
So... Are handheld mobile devices like iPad and iPhone to blame or is it that most people don't give a shit about gimmicky 3D games? Personally I am in the latter camp. Not to mention all the news about people getting headaches probably isn't doing much to boost sales.

And I realize they sold millions already. That's not the topic at hand!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Re: Nintendo 3DS

Post by miir »

I think the lameness of the 3DS release titles might have a lot to do with it.

It's a pretty awesome piece of hardware, but for me it comes down to the games.
There's really nothing beyond SSFIV:3DE that is remotely good... I'm a sucker for racing games... especially in 3D (Motorstorm in 3D is mindblowing), but Ridge Racer is meh and Asphalt is fucking awful.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I think it's probably a little of all of that, depending on the person. Personally, I don't see myself getting much into a hand held console now that I have a iPad/iPhone.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I agree with Miir. It's a lack of games. I do like what I saw given the time at the Best Buy display with the device. The 3D is really amazing and well done. But seriously, 250$ for the device and 40$ games? Fuck that noise. It's not even a consideration. It's nowhere on my radar at all. My iPad and iPhone are more than enough. Free apps up the ass and .99 priced sales every time you turn around. Same goes for the next Sony handheld too for all the same reasons.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

My iPad and iPhone are more than enough. Free apps up the ass and .99 priced sales every time you turn around.
If the main reason you're buying something is because of the price... then it's probably not worth buying. :)

I'm just not digging gaming on iPhone/ipad.
Sure the games are cheap and have relatively decent production values... but the horrible, inaccurate controls on virtually every game just annoy the fuck out of me. Not to mention the fact that most popular ios games are fucking time-wasters that could be played in a web browser for free.

Last week I picked up Dead Space, Asphalt 6 and NBA Jam and they all fucking suck.
Dead Space was awesome for about 15 minutes... then frustration with the controls made me want to throw my phone through the fucking wall.

I'd rather pay $20-30 for a decent DS or PSP game.
A game that I don't have to constantly struggle with vague controls and where my hands cover up half the screen.

Give me a action, platformer, rpg or racing games with decent graphics and crisp, accurate controls and I'm a happy gamer.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:
My iPad and iPhone are more than enough. Free apps up the ass and .99 priced sales every time you turn around.
If the main reason you're buying something is because of the price... then it's probably not worth buying. :)

I'm just not digging gaming on iPhone/ipad.
Sure the games are cheap and have relatively decent production values... but the horrible, inaccurate controls on virtually every game just annoy the fuck out of me. Not to mention the fact that most popular ios games are fucking time-wasters that could be played in a web browser for free.

Last week I picked up Dead Space, Asphalt 6 and NBA Jam and they all fucking suck.
Dead Space was awesome for about 15 minutes... then frustration with the controls made me want to throw my phone through the fucking wall.

I'd rather pay $20-30 for a decent DS or PSP game.
A game that I don't have to constantly struggle with vague controls and where my hands cover up half the screen.

Give me a action, platformer, rpg or racing games with decent graphics and crisp, accurate controls and I'm a happy gamer.
I think you're confusing inaccurate controls with insufficient screen space. I've played Dead Space and several RPG's on my iPad and the controls work absolutely fine, on the phone it's tough. On my phone I play more of the time waster type games, which I've actually put a shit ton of time into (Tiny Wings is the bane of my existence), when I'm somewhere where I wouldn't have my iPad with me, chances are I wouldn't be interested in playing anything more than a time waster type game anyhow.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

You're not touching your screen right.

Try out:

http://ipadmodo.com/11921/hunters-episo ... ad-review/

Hunters for iPad. (if you don't have an iPad you're out of luck) It was designed for the touch screen and works great.

The demo gives you an hour of free trial play before you would have to buy it.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I've played Dead Space and several RPG's on my iPad and the controls work absolutely fine
I agree that it's a bit better on the ipad but I find that my fingers still often slip off the virtual controls in most games... and forget about playing any racing games for more than a few minutes.
But I don't think you can really call the ipad a viable portable gaming platform. It's too big, heavy and won't fit any pocket.

The bottom line is that virtual controls will never be as responsive or accurate as an actual controller.
Much like how a controller will never be as accurate or responsive as a keyboard and high DPI mouse for first person shooters.
Last edited by miir on April 28, 2011, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Once again it comes down to "what do you want from your handheld gaming"? I want a distraction. I want something I'll play 15-20 minutes here and there. I don't want or desire a 80 hour, deeply involved experience on my portable device. That's what I use my consoles and PC for. My life is not conducive to a handheld being a contender for any type of serious video gaming. I have too many far superior options when I have genuine free time.

So, the real question goes back to Aslanna's initial point. Are smart phones, iPads, and other mobile devices going to cut deep into Nintendo's former virtual monopoly on the handheld market? I say, absolutely (at least here in the states). But then again, iphones and such are the realm of the adults (mostly), perhaps kids will all be walking around with a 3DS just like they were with every Nintendo handheld in history. Hard to say, but there are a shitload more legit contenders looking for a piece of Nintendo's pie this generation compared to any others before it.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Look at the top selling games for the DS and PSP.

There's not a single time-waster on those lists.
Games like Monster Hunter, Pokemon, Animal Crossing have 50+ hours of playtime.

I don't really expect you to understand what people want or are looking for in a portable gaming device.
By your own admission, you aren't in that demographic.
I own a DSi, PSP and an couple of IOS devices.
Of those 3, IOS is a distant 3rd for gaming.

iphones and such are the realm of the adults
Uhm... what kind of backwater hicktown do you live in?
Nearly every fucking teenager and tweenager I see has either an iphone, driod or blackberry.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I don't know, I'd be willing to bet if you could get solid numbers, the vast majority of hand held consoles worldwide are mostly used by people under the age of 16. That's not any kind of a slam or anything like that.

As a point of reference, I've probably spent about 40 hours playing Tiny Wings alone. I think you are vastly underestimating the draw and feasibility of iOS type gaming stuff as opposed to hand held consoles. When you look at some of these iOS games, taking into consideration what they cost to make vs. what they actually make, they probably blow the socks off of sales for pretty much any game for a actual hand held console.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:
iphones and such are the realm of the adults
Uhm... what kind of backwater hicktown do you live in?
Nearly every fucking teenager and tweenager I see has either an iphone, driod or blackberry.

Yes, I should have said "not for children", but your observations uphold my intended point. A large demographic for dedicated portable gaming systems is being (has been?) overtaken by smartphones.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

DS and PSP sales over the past few years do not really support that conclusion.

I think it would be more accurate to assume that smartphones have created their own market.
But since smartphones are not dedicated gaming devices, it's difficult to estimate what percentage of smartphone users use their phone as a portable gaming device.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Just let us know when nearly every fucking teenager and tweenager you see has a 3DS or PSP!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

All games are time wasters.

I get that you don't like touch screen games but the fact is that they are improving constantly and the latest batch have control schemes that work very well.

Nintendo is well aware Apple is their biggest competition in portable gaming.

Whether you like touch controls or not, iOS platform will have long term in depth games as well.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:Look at the top selling games for the DS and PSP.

There's not a single time-waster on those lists.
Games like Monster Hunter, Pokemon, Animal Crossing have 50+ hours of playtime.
Angry Birds just hit 140 million downloads. How does that compare to the sales of the games you listed?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I get that you don't like touch screen games but the fact is that they are improving constantly and the latest batch have control schemes that work very well.
I actually like touch screens but they really lack the accuracy and response needed for the type of games that I enjoy.
And the screen size of the iphone is simply too small virtual controls. Your hands cover up too much of the screen.

Angry Birds just hit 140 million downloads.
I bet Nintendo and Sony could move just as many games if they also gave them away for free.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:
I actually like touch screens but they really lack the accuracy and response needed for the type of games that I enjoy.
And the screen size of the iphone is simply too small virtual controls. Your hands cover up too much of the screen.

Angry Birds just hit 140 million downloads.
I bet Nintendo and Sony could move just as many games if they also gave them away for free.
You need accuracy and response for RPG's? That's news to me! That being said I don't seem to see these issues that you're having, at least not to the degree you're stating them.

There is a pay version of Angry Birds, I'd be interested to see how many of those 140 million have the paid version, I'd imagine you'd probably be surprised.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

You need accuracy and response for RPG's?
Not for most RPG... but driving games, shooters and platformers absolutely SUCK using a touchscreens and gyroscopes.

I'd be interested to see how many of those 140 million have the paid version
Since they changed to start releasing announcements on the number 'downloaded', the figures have jumped by nearly 100m.
I'd hazard a guess that the number purchased is somewhere in the 50-60m range.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Way back in Aug 13th 2010, Angry Birds had 6.5 million paid downloads.

also:

The elephant is the only animal with 4 knees
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

suck suck suck suck

You just can't release a new console with no fucking games...
4 months later and the best they can do is a 3d remake of a 14 year old game?
What the fuck was Nintendo thinking?
They would have been better off to hold back the release until the end of the year when Mario Kart and Super Mario Land 3D are done.
Nintendo said Thursday that it had tumbled to a loss of 25.5 billion yen for the three months to June 30, as sales plunged 50 percent from a year earlier. The loss prompted Nintendo to lower its annual profit forecast 82 percent to 20 billion yen ($257 million) for the year to March, down sharply from a previous estimate of 110 billion yen. The company also slashed its annual sales forecast by 18 percent to 900 billion yen.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yeah, lack of games is pathetic. They also need to knock 50-100$ off the price.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Yeah, lack of games is pathetic. They also need to knock 50-100$ off the price.
They just knocked off $80. It's $170 now.
I might see of EB Games has any trade-in deals coming up.
I have a DSi XL collecting dust.
If I can can trade up to a 3DS for like 75 bucks, I'll do it.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Or, as I speculated, a lot of people don't give a shit about gimmicky 3D regardless of what sort of games it has (or doesn't have). I hope the 3DS fails big time and teaches Nintendo a lesson about being too clever for ones own good. How many times can you basically sell the same device?

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I tried the 3DS at Best Buy yesterday and after 2-3 minutes my hands hurt from the form factor and my eyes hurt from the 3D.
That shit is really uncomfortable.

This really throw a wrench in Sony's Vita marketing however. They're really going to have to make an impact with their game library to justify the 250$ price point. Mind you I'm not saying it's too high for what the device is, they just really have to work at getting customer uptake. Nintendo's price drop won't help them at all.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Aside of the gimmick that is their 3D functionality and the overall weakness of the launch titles, I think a lot of gamers, myself included, are all too aware of Nintendo's product cycle.

In other words, we're all waiting for the 3DS Lite that will address all flaws of the current product AND be 30% lighter with better battery life.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Never liked the Nintendo in general.

Nice to see people catching on. Wii U is going to fail as well. The original Wii will include the last cheap plastic toy looking controller to succeed in suckering people into buying them.

3D in general is ass. Until they come up with holograms or some new 3D tech that doesn't require you looking like old people that wear those huge over-the-prescription-glasses Sunglasses while sitting on your couch, and actually looks good without requiring a waring that more than 5 minutes viewing will make your eyes bleed, I'd recommend staying away.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sony is going to under perform as well. The best thing about Sony's 250$ price point was that it was obviously better than the overpriced 3DS. Now that the 3DS is more in line with what it should have been, 250$ just seems like to much in general. Dedicated handheld gaming is pretty much history.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The difference is that the Vita has a lot of buzz and some top shelf release titles.
People are talking about it... people are excited about it. I know about a dozen people who are getting it as a day 1 purchase.
I know one person who bought a 3DS... and they haven't even turned it on in weeks.
Sony is going to under perform as well.
What do you even know about portable gaming?
You admit that you don't even own a portable gaming device and you have no clue what people are looking for in a portable device.
How the hell would you know if it's going under perform... or are you just parroting the gimps at neogaf?
Seems like most of your 'opinions' are just copy/pasted from the forums there.
Dedicated handheld gaming is pretty much history.
What.. in... the... fuck... are...you.. talking... about?
Last year the DS was the top selling console and the PSP (which you consider a failure) sold nearly 10 million.

This year the PSP is only 500k in sales behind the 360.
Sales of the DS/3DS are more than DOUBLE the sales of the 360.

You.are.clueless.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I'm highly interested in the Vita because core game usually end up being ass on touchscreen devices unless they are made for them in mind.

The only thing working against traditional portables at the moment is the pricepoint of games. People will settle for phone games since most games end up being 1-3$ at most whereas DS/PSP games are usually ~20-40$..

I may pick up a Vita this fall if the launch games are worthwhile.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Iwata took a self imposed pay cut and is giving the 3DS 4 months for sales to turn around. Who knows what will happen if it doesn't. EA has a 3DS title completed and sitting on the shelf, waiting for improved sales before they release it. The system has several problems, but first among them is the lack of games so the price cut may not have the effect that they're hoping for.

And you can talk all the sales numbers you want about PSP, but the simple fact is that Sony just posted another couple hundred million dollar loss this quarter while MS is breaking record profits. There might be 70 billion PSPs sold, but the amount of games bought do not reflect a healthy system at all.

Some things are just easy to predict (like the PSPGo bombing...everyone saw that coming). Dedicated handheld gaming falling to the wayside is a pretty easy bet. Smart phones are taking over their space. You'll see soon enough!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Sony just posted another couple hundred million dollar loss this quarter
And the earthquake/tsunami had nothing to to with that, huh?
while MS is breaking record profits.
Record revenue, yes.
Profits, no.
I know the difference, do you?

Microsoft has taken a pretty huge misstep in putting so many resources into Kinect.
That won't start to reflect on their financials until Q3 2011.
There might be 70 billion PSPs sold, but the amount of games bought do not reflect a healthy system at all.
See this is where you veer off into loony-land.
You have such a fanboy hate-on for Sony that they could be doubling the sales of the xbox and you would still find some obscure tidbit or factoid that supports your blind opinion that Microsoft 360 is the best console of all time.

Dedicated handheld gaming falling to the wayside is a pretty easy bet. Smart phones are taking over their space. You'll see soon enough!
Sales figures don't support that opinion.

Gaming on smartphones appeals to a completely different demographic than dedicated portable consoles.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://technology.iafrica.com/technews/742672.html

First article I found on Google. There are lots more. Record profits.

Point remains that the number of people willing to shell out 250$ for a dedicated handheld are dwindling by the day. Same with people willing to pay 40$ for a handheld game.

The 3DS will not come anywhere close to the number of DS sales and the Vita will not come close to PSP sales. The amount of games sold for each device will also fall. The Vita does have a good chance of overtaking Nintendo this round, but it's akin to coming in first at the Special Olympics compared to the last gen of handhelds!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:
Sony just posted another couple hundred million dollar loss this quarter
And the earthquake/tsunami had nothing to to with that, huh?
Doubtful. Why would it? I'm fairly certain stores had inventory people just had no desire to purchase. But feel free to educate me. How did the earthquake affect them? I know a few games might have been delayed but I hardly doubt that cost them a couple hundred million. I'd say they lost more to the hacking incident if anything. But I don't follow their financials (or Microsofts' for that matter) at all because it doesn't really mean shit to me.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The loss actually had nothing to do with Sony's gaming division.
Sony Computer Entertainment posted its first annual profit in five years for its fiscal year ended March 31. It recorded an operating profit of $429 million on $19 billion in revenues, largely by reducing the cost of producing its PlayStation 3 game console.
One might say that SCEI just posted 'record profits'. :roll:
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:The loss actually had nothing to do with Sony's gaming division.
Sony Computer Entertainment posted its first annual profit in five years for its fiscal year ended March 31. It recorded an operating profit of $429 million on $19 billion in revenues, largely by reducing the cost of producing its PlayStation 3 game console.
One might say that SCEI just posted 'record profits'...
But no one does, because they didn't.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

So I grabbed a 3DS yesterday.
Traded in a few games plus $100.
Took a look at the games selection and grabbed Nintendogs for my son.

It's uhhh... still in the box in my desk drawer.

I've never been so unexcited to buy a game console, ever.
Devil Survivor is out next week so then I'll have something to play.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:So I grabbed a 3DS yesterday.
Traded in a few games plus $100.
Took a look at the games selection and grabbed Nintendogs for my son.

It's uhhh... still in the box in my desk drawer.

I've never been so unexcited to buy a game console, ever.
Devil Survivor is out next week so then I'll have something to play.

Which begs the question... Why buy it? Didn't you already have a DS of some variety? Or multiple varieties.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Sold my DSi XL on the weekend for $100... so in essence I traded a couple of games for a new DS.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

You would be more excited if you hadn't called me noog.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

If I could trade in my gen 1 fat DS for a nice price, I would consider upgrading for 100$. I'd rather wait until the next revision though. Meh, I probably won't upgrade because there are not really any games I'm interested in and I really never use it anyway. In a couple of years, my girls may get some for Xmas or something. By then there will be a hardware revision or two and a lower cost as well.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

because there are not really any games
There really isn't.
I went back to the store to double check for games but there is not a single game that I want to play on the 3DS.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

So the best game on the 3DS... is not even 3D.

Devil Survivor Overclocked is fan-fucking-tastic.
The voice work is excellent and it looks so much nicer than the original.
No MegaTen fan should pass this one up.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I would get OoT (never played it before) and the Mario game coming out. That's pretty sad considering how long the system has been out.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I got a pure black 3DS XL for Christmas and 3 games (Zelda: LInk Between Words, Donkey Kong Country 3D, and Super Mario 3D Land) along with an all black carrying case. I was pretty surprised by the gift and my wife's selection of games. She did a great job! So now I have every system available right now, which is a first for me. My cup runneth over with games to play.

PC
PS3/4
Xbox 360/One
WiiU
Vita
3DS

For the 3DS there is only a handful of games I want to pick up. Zelda OoT, Kid Icarus, Mario Kart 7, NSMB 2, Fire Emblem Awakening, and maybe 2-3 more.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Perhaps a few turn based RPG type games?
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Pokemon X Y is basically an RPG.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I've never played or watched anything Pokemon related. Is it good on it's own or is it a whole lot of inside baseball?
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

We got both our kids each a 2DS this holidays. Together, I have access to Mario Kart 7, NSMB2, Pokemon X and Animal Crossing New Leaf.

The 2DS is a really nice format. The screens are smallish but I've played about an hour of the machine with my son and have not gotten a single one of the hand cramps that I used to get on the DS.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Animalor wrote:We got both our kids each a 2DS this holidays. Together, I have access to Mario Kart 7, NSMB2, Pokemon X and Animal Crossing New Leaf.

The 2DS is a really nice format. The screens are smallish but I've played about an hour of the machine with my son and have not gotten a single one of the hand cramps that I used to get on the DS.

We really struggled over getting our kids (ages 5&6) 3DSs or not for xmas this year. In the end, we went with 32GB ipod touches. It really came down to price per game. My kids like to play games, but not like, game games if you know what I mean. We also had the prospect of having to buy them a couple of $30-40 games to go along with their 3DSs, games I was unsure they would really even play. They also only play together, so that would mean buying mutiple copies of the same game which is just...ugh. So in the end the safe bet was the ipods. We put movies, music, and games from their old ipods on there (which were actually our old 3GS models from back in the day). Plus they can facetime, text (oh sweet jesus), and use them for school stuff. The games on there are good for what they want out of a handheld at their age. This basically means MINECRAFT, Terraria, and their ilk. I imagine these ipods will last them a solid 4-5years or so. Further justification came from the fact that they can play any number of the hundreds of video games across multiple platforms throughout the house at any given time so handheld gaming is not really something they would use a whole lot. However, the real sticking point was always really not knowing what type of game they would get significant use out of. 3DS games cost a lot for jumping in blind.

It all worked out for the best since my wife got me the 3DSXL. They can play it whenever they want! If they show a real attraction to some of the games, maybe we'll get them one next year.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Dedicated handheld gaming is pretty much history.
And yet the 3DS keeps plugging along, outselling pretty much every other console week after week.

PS: You're still an idiot.