Portal 2 drops next Tuesday!! (Apr 19th)

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Portal 2 drops next Tuesday!! (Apr 19th)

Post by Animalor »

I dunno about you guys but I'm most likely getting this one on the PC. 44.99$ on Steam compared to 60$ for the console versions? Yes plz.

If you link your PSN account with your Steam account, every trophy you get playing it on that platform will unlock the same achievement on Steam. I dunno how Valve will be doing the updates for this but you havta bet that with their track record on things like Team Fortress 2 that PC platform will be getting the most lovin.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Portal 2 drops next Tuesday!! (Apr 19th)

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'll be picking it up too, but most likely on the Xbox. I'm not too concerned with things that may get added to the pc version and not the console versions. The challenge modes in the first game were obnoxiously difficult and I gave up on them pretty quick, so I'm really only looking forward to the campaign this time around.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I thought if you bought console version you got PC for free. Maybe that was just PS3. Thought I read something like that anyway. I didn't really pay attention as I'm not interested in the game. Isn't there also cross-platform multiplayer with the PS3 version? Gabe did say the PS3 version is the best version as I'm sure miir will stop by and let you know.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Here's how Steam will integrate on the PS3 with Portal 2
Valve's Highly-Anticipated Title Prepares for Launch On PS3™

Valve, creator of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead, and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today disclosed details regarding the Steam experience designed for the PlayStation®3, which is set to debut next week with the release of Portal 2.

The first title to support Steam on a console, Portal 2 offers cross-platform matchmaking, gameplay, friends, chat, and achievements, all powered by Steam. Steam on the PS3 also saves co-op game progress and single player saved games to the Steam Cloud, enabling players to pick up where they left off on any PlayStation®3.

The Steam overlay for PS3™ provides access to Steam friends, displaying their in-game or online status and providing a quick pathway to text chats, player profiles, friend requests, and game invites. Steam Achievements are earned in lockstep with PSN Trophies and are also accessible within the Steam overlay.

Steam on the PS3™ provides access to all of these features once the player has linked their PlayStation®Network account with a Steam account, which is done right within the game. A Steam user can login to an existing account, and anyone new to Steam can create an account with the click of a button.

In the spirit of Steam Play, linked players of the PS3™ version of Portal 2 can also access and play their copy of Portal 2 on any PC or Mac by redeeming an in-box access code on their computer. The Steam client verifies the linked customer and then lists Portal 2 among their library of Steam games for PC and Mac.

For more information regarding Steam on the PS3™, visit the Steam Support knowledge base. For more information regarding Portal 2, visit http://www.thinkwithportals.com.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

So the PS3 version is the one to get.

If Microsoft wasn't so opposed to free online play 360 players might also have Steam on their consoles.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Animalor wrote:If you link your PSN account with your Steam account, every trophy you get playing it on that platform will unlock the same achievement on Steam. I dunno how Valve will be doing the updates for this but you havta bet that with their track record on things like Team Fortress 2 that PC platform will be getting the most lovin.
Joshua, Valve: It's our goal that, as we update the PC or PS3 version, we keep them all in lockstep. Especially because we have co-op gameplay between both platforms. Not all of the PC updates we do will matter for the PS3 - there might be a videocard-specific update on the PC, or a PS3-specific tweak. But as far as content goes, we want to keep them in lockstep.
Sounds like equal lovin between PS3 and PC. Suck it xbox. Enjoy being third place in yet another category!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sounds like a scam for Steam to get user information from PSN!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Steam and Xbox/Windows Live already share information.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Can you guys give it a rest for one topic? Jesus Jew on a stick. :roll:
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Well good on Valve for doing this for the PS3 version. This is proper atonement for the huge clusterfuck that was The Orange Box on the platform.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

For anyone getting the game on the PC or PS3, my Steam ID is Rask =)

Co-Op is win.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Who else is getting this and on what platform? I'm still undecided, trying to see where I can get more co op action.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I got it on the PC. PC/PS3 can co-op.

Xbox 360 is the island this time around.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I don't really care about the PC to be honest, so I just want to see where I can get the most people to play co op with (I have pretty much zero pc gamer friends/peoples outside of VV).

I'm leaning towards Xbox at this point, because of the co-op aspect.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Playing through the single player campaign, it's still pretty awesome. Getting Stephen Merchant to do a voice was a great choice. Haha, cracks me up. Where's Karl tho!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Ended up getting it on the 360, played through the first few chapters of single player last night, liking it so far!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Finished the single player story last night. It was a ton of win.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Just finished single player campaign. Better than Portal 1. Gonna play co-op once my buddy finishes single player.

Damn that was good.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

The humor is probably more fun to me than the game. I'm in chapter 6 right now in the old abandoned area, and I'm seriously sick of it, I hope it's over soon. I got stuck on a part last night where you have to launch yourself through a letter O to get on a walkway (for the second time, at least) and I've got the portals set up the best I can, but I keep hitting the O about 6 inches too low. After about 20 tries I shut it off.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

On my XBL friend's list last night, 1 person was playing Portal 2 (Funk) and I'm the only one I've seen playing Mortal Kombat.

Last night there were 16 people on my friends list playing Gears 3 Beta, and many of them were in parties. One in particular has a backlog bigger than mine, so I had to give him shit for playing right now. He told me you can unlock items for the main game by playing in beta. I still don't want to play that game until release!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah I've been playing both MK and Portal 2, and the Gears beta as well. I'll be playing a lot more of the beta starting next week when my buddies get access to it, I want to unlock Cole and the Golden lancer, you can't get them once the beta is over!

By the way, Gears 3 so far is a massive improvement over the first two, it's going to be a great game.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

6 hours for the single player, and I still think it was worth the money before getting to multiplayer.

Fantastic script, Merchant was brilliant, though I expected the puzzles to be harder (there was only one where you needed to drop bounce goo on 3 turrets that took me any time at all)
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Beat the single player last week, finished up all the single player achievements. I got this on Xbox cause I typically have more friends playing stuff there, but I've only really seen one person playing it, and he doesn't have a damn headset. I want to play me some co op, many achievements to get!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Good luck with that, everyone I know bought it on PC/PS3.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Well, and I suppose either way I wouldn't have been able to play co-op yet. :lol:
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I need to shore up my steam friends list. I haven't found anyone to play co-op yet.