Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Audio Interfaces

Post by Siji »

So I'm trying to get a clear picture on how external audio interfaces work vs an internal sound card - for the purpose of messing around with a DAW involving Ableton Live/FL Studio and Guitar Rig for example.

I understand the whole plug into the external AI with your instrument/mic and it feeds into the DAW over firewire/usb. On the DAW the signal is recorded when received and processing is done there. Where I get hazy is output to the monitors. Does the DAW return through the external AI to the line outs after being processed and such?

Also, how would PC sounds work? Like if I'm messing around and don't have normal monitors or speakers other than PC speakers at the moment? Could I use the S/PDIF out from the external AI and run it to my PC's sound card S/PDIF in?

For some reason I just can't get my head around this and I think it's much simpler than I'm thinking it is. I want to fark around with this for fun and I'm debating an external AI or just getting a PCI/PCIe card. I'll be using a mic, guitar and a midi controller (which will in all likely hood end up running via USB anyway and not through the AI).

It's about 5 years old now, but the M-Audio Audiophile 192 is near the top of my 'internal' list. While for externals I'm leaning towards the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 or the Presonus Firestudio Mobile. The M-Audio price is nicer though. I don't want to deal with latency or noise/popping issues in either case. I like the portability of the external AI's (ease of future use on a mac if I ever get one) but not if the cost includes being a pita for a hobby.

Any clarity or suggestions are appreciated..