Dear Rift

Where is your god now?!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Dear Rift

Post by masteen »

I really enjoyed our month together, but wtf was that 20 gigs worth of shit you left when I uninstalled you?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Dear Rift

Post by Winnow »

masteen wrote:I really enjoyed our month together, but wtf was that 20 gigs worth of shit you left when I uninstalled you?

Looks like they didn't learn much. I received this email from them after the beta:
**Important Information Regarding RIFT Beta Uninstall**

This is inform you that you are one of a small group of beta participants who have an old RIFT beta installer that does not uninstall cleanly. Depending on the directory you installed to, it may delete more files than it should.

Before you uninstall the RIFT beta, please run the beta patcher once. That will both update the patcher and fix your uninstaller so it works properly!

Your uninstaller may be just fine, or you may have already uninstalled, but everyone who even remotely has a chance of being affected should be aware of this issue.
Quality company!
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

At least they let you know. Other games would have left you to figure it out for yourself.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

From beta to final release, they specifically said you NEED to uninstall the Beta.
Emails were sent out, the patcher said it, the MOTD ingame said it, the banner on the launcher said it.
If someone chose to ignore those all those messages and not uninstall the beta, that's not really Trion's fault.

A clean and current install of Rift should be less than 7 gigs.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

My note was about a defective uninstaller (re-running patcher), not uninstalling completely before final. It depends if masteen was in the Beta and failed to follow miirs notes if fault is to blame with masteen!
it may delete more files than it should
That's not a good thing! Leaving files is one thing. Deleting extra files is a little more serious.

Even FFXIV had a clean uninstall for me. Booyah!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:Even FFXIV had a clean uninstall for me. Booyah!
:lol:
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

miir wrote:A clean and current install of Rift should be less than 7 gigs.
But the big question, is it worth $50?
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Oh yes. To me it was worth the $60 on the CE download version. As well as the $60 for 6 months.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bubba Grizz wrote:Oh yes. To me it was worth the $60 on the CE download version. As well as the $60 for 6 months.

Just to be clear, if we went back in time and I offered to give you 120.00 and threw in a free Bratwurst and a Beer instead of playing RIFT, knowing what you know now, you wouldn't take it?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I would say that this MMO has had one of the strongest starts out of the gate (based purely on my own observations). It has banner ads on pretty much every forum I visit, I haven't read any opinions where people trash it, and I see posts on various msg boards where it appears that lots of people are playing it. Granted, most of these people are ex-WoW people looking for their latest fix, but still, I would guess that Rift got off to a good start. If I didn't have such a full plate right now, I would be half tempted to give it a go as well. But one glance at my console game backlog quickly brings me to my senses!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Winnow wrote:Just to be clear, if we went back in time and I offered to give you 120.00 and threw in a free Bratwurst and a Beer instead of playing RIFT, knowing what you know now, you wouldn't take it?
Cheese brat or regular?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

cheese brat? that's blasphemy
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

that is a tempting offer even if you threw in the kraut as well. However, I really am liking this game a lot. I thought I would be put off by the crafting system but I am now enjoying it. I am nearly broke trying to support 5 professions at once but it is worth it to me.

We do have cheese brats up here but I am a bit of a purist in that regard. I need the brat nice and crispy with a nice pile of sour kraut on top. The brats are simmered in beer first before hitting the grill.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

don't forget the Dusseldorfer Mustard, mmmmm

I could handle some brats, kraut, and bier
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Bubba Grizz wrote:The brats are simmered in beer first before hitting the grill.
Beer is for drinking you heathen!

My Aunt's butcher in Hartford makes the best brats in the world. http://www.swissmeats.com is a close second.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Growing up in Germany I consumed lots of Bratwurst.

A common meal (semi fast food) was Bratwurst with Pomme Frites (french fries). Good Stuff!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

1. This was a clean install of the retail version from Steam. The beta was never on this machine, it was on the old one. So this is purely an issue with their (un)installer.

2. This game is definitely worth $50. I had a ton of fun making noob after noob to play with the different class combos and see both factions. Long-term? I don't think I'll ever have a constant sub to Rift that I did for WoW. I think I went 3 solid years with an active WoW sub, but that was after I left Ixtlan and the game for a couple months.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Damn you Ixtlan!
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Never even gave this game a glance, but I have to say that one of the many things I miss about Germany was easy access to good bratwurst on brotchen (get your own umlauts).
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

yeah, I used to grab a brat mit brotchen on the way to the gymnasium in Koblenz. I have been told that there are a couple trailer vendors around here that have some good brats, but not sure about the yummy rolls. reminds me of a story I read recently on d-welle about automated bread vending machines causing a ruckus: http://dwelle.de/dw/article/0,,14885886,00.html

frickin' scary getting "fresh" bread from a machine!

In regards to Rift, I keep jumping in on the free weekends they are posting (well, last weekend didn't let me log in for some reason). I kinda seemed to move our EQ2 guild to Rift on accident, but I still haven't picked a copy up.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

How do you accidentally a whole guild?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Late in Beta, I made a post with one of the guild referral beta keys. I intentionally did not promote people switching games in any of my posts, but there are only a handful left in EQ2 now.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

pyrella wrote:Damn you Ixtlan!
Sounds ilke a story.. Someone needs to let us know the TRUTH!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Jerks!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Aslanna wrote:
Sounds ilke a story.. Someone needs to let us know the TRUTH!
Cadalano stoled my wand in Scholomance! And Xyun was a big meanine during raids!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I enjoyed playing WoW with you tards during beta and until Molten Core stole my megahurtz. :D
en kærlighed småkager
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Ixtlan made me giggle when I listened to them in vent on a MC raid. Free speech is alive and well in that vent.

Ixtlan was coolest when they were a Vanguard guild imho.
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Canelek wrote:I enjoyed playing WoW with you tards during beta and until Molten Core stole my megahurtz. :D
Me too Canelek!

Personally I'm very happy in Rift for now, at 50 trying to figure out the end game mechanics (when you work full time and have 4 kids) is a great distraction and quite fun! Much more fun than I had in EQ2 for a long time... I just hope someone isn't using my old CC right now...

Marb
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Xatrei wrote:Never even gave this game a glance, but I have to say that one of the many things I miss about Germany was easy access to good bratwurst on brotchen (get your own umlauts).
Ran across this perfect picture of one on a thread about which bundesliga stadium had the best wurst :P

Link may be NWS, or have NWS link/ads :P

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/testb ... .bild.html
Sywauja
No Stars!

Post by Sywauja »

Bubba Grizz wrote:Ixtlan made me giggle when I listened to them in vent on a MC raid. Free speech is alive and well in that vent.

Ixtlan was coolest when they were a Vanguard guild imho.
Scotch always made TS better too!