Synergistic Soul Selection

Where is your god now?!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Synergistic Soul Selection

Post by Canelek »

So this may change drastically due to the upcoming mega-patch. Mages will see a general increase in damage and it seems rogues are getting a bit of changes. Whether any of this is good or bad, I guess we will just have to see!

I did notice that some of the changes to Saboteur may make it seem like more of a nerf, however. That would suck as I have found that Sab/Bard/Ranger(no points, just for pet) has been super-awesome for me. granted, my highest character is 31 so I am not sure what to expect when the cap is hit.

Most of my points are in the saboteur tree (28 I think) and I have enough points in bard to get the regeneration motif. Since charges can be done at range (shorter range after patch apparently), I felt I did not need to bother at all with ranger ranged skills. The pet is perfectly adequate at holding aggro and even surviving long enough for non-heroic mobs.

So, for good soul combos, I'll chime in with:

Saboteur/Bard/(pick-em)
en kærlighed småkager
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Synergistic Soul Selection

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I'm running a warrior with Paragon/Paladin/Champion.

Paragon is my primary and all my points not in Paladin and Champion will go there. I am putting 10 points into Paladin for the armor and weapon specialization, not to mention the endurance buff and touch of life (lay hands). The only 5 points I am using from Champion are for the Strength boost.

I can pretty much survive a 3 on 1 fight and even more if I get them at the right time. The Paragon lacks burst dps but has very steady dps. Also with all the avoidance I have a high survivability rate.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Bubba Grizz wrote:I can pretty much survive a 3 on 1 fight and even more if I get them at the right time. The Paragon lacks burst dps but has very steady dps. Also with all the avoidance I have a high survivability rate.
Hah... 3 on 1. Put more points into Paladin and you'll be handling 5 or more at a time. :) DPS isn't great, but it sure is fun killing so many things at once!
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

I have four Roles

Role 1: Tank
Justicar/Shaman/Sentinel

Tank that has Toughness 100 to tank T2s etc, will need 150 tough for Greenscale raid

Role 2: Melee Dps (I used this build to level up to 50 since i didnt like the Ranged Inquisitor AE-build, melee is more fun)
Shaman/Inquisitor(for +crit damage)/Sentinel(for +crit damage)

Role 3: Healer
Sentinel/warden/Purifier

Role 4: Pvp

I change these souls OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS, but Templar will of course be a mainstay
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

I hope that don't nerf rangers too much. I have just a few points in NB, just enough to do damage if they get close and enough in bard to get the regen song, other that that it's ranger. With the Greater Razorbeast and the dual regen (his and the bard song) taking 5 or 6 non-epic mobs is pretty common, I freaked out a sab last night when he saw me pull about 20 birds soloing an air rift... 2 shots of rain of arrows and they were down except for the primary.

People on SF seem impressed that my primary is a ranger, few others seem to have that, they usually just get ranger for their pet but switching targets during rifts and being able to just fire away (bard also give a song with power) keeps me at the top of most rift events and has always me to have mostly planar armor the entire game (thus far) maybe everyone gets that... would be interesting to know though. I will say that I'm heavily dependent on my weapons, moreso probably than my armor.

Marb
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Canelek wrote:So, for good soul combos, I'll chime in with:
Saboteur/Bard/(pick-em)
You could pair Sab with Herp and Derp and still have a kick ass character.

But for real synergizing intrinsic leverages of the sabs core strengths (lol), I have to point out the awesome contained in Nightblade: the first two tiers of the tree have a talent that increases the damage done by your charges (Blazing Fury) and one that increases the damage done by Detonate (Coup De Grace). Plus stealth. Throw in Ranger for the free pet, and you are a killing machine.

On warriors: I'm currently in love with Riftblade/Beastmaster or Reaver/whatevs. I'm not sure I like the regen from Reaver or the purple kitty from Beast. They both seem to net the same result at low levels, but I've heard that the Reaver scales better post-30.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

masteen wrote:
Canelek wrote:So, for good soul combos, I'll chime in with:
Saboteur/Bard/(pick-em)
You could pair Sab with Herp and Derp and still have a kick ass character.

But for real synergizing intrinsic leverages of the sabs core strengths (lol), I have to point out the awesome contained in Nightblade: the first two tiers of the tree have a talent that increases the damage done by your charges (Blazing Fury) and one that increases the damage done by Detonate (Coup De Grace). Plus stealth. Throw in Ranger for the free pet, and you are a killing machine.

On warriors: I'm currently in love with Riftblade/Beastmaster or Reaver/whatevs. I'm not sure I like the regen from Reaver or the purple kitty from Beast. They both seem to net the same result at low levels, but I've heard that the Reaver scales better post-30.
I have heard that Sab and RB are getting nerfed a bit come next patch. It will be interesting to see what happens. I'm eager to get home and join in on all the fun with this latest event the are running.

(Masteen where have you been? I added you to friends list but never see you on.)
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I now have six toons on Harrow... been playing Grwyn and Fala this week.

My name's masteen, and I'm an altoholic.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Blech. Motif of Regeneration got moved up to the 24-point slot(Bard).

Think I will try out Nightblade in it's place, keeping ranger for pet. Maybe I'll pick bard back up once I hit cap.
en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Blast charge got nerfed HUGE...
Looks like a 35-45% damage reduction
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Man... my sab went from being overpowered to fucking gimp in a matter of hours.
If I get 2 mobs on a pull... im pretty much dead... my gear is all blues and purples.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Yeah I was getting rocked in minor rift. Going to have to find a decent combo since old one is now not so good. Need too many points now for bard combo to be useful as secondary, at least at lvl 36. Blech
en kærlighed småkager
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

Thank god :) was really tired of fighting 40% sabs in warfronts. Sorry if it was excessive.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The funny thing is that saboteurs don't do a whole lot more damage than other DPS rogue builds... it's the way in which they do it.

Massive spike damage is just too hard to defend against.
The reality is, a nightblade or assassin build can do just as much (or more) average DPS as a saboteur.

Prior to today, my Nightblade build actually did higher DPS (5-10%) in PVE than my Saboteur build. In Warfronts, the Sab was more than 20% higher. But then again ranged, AE DPS is always going to own in controlled PVP.

After the patch, the Nightblade is far superior in both.
The nerf made my saboteur absolutely horrible in PVE.
My Blast Charge used to crit on even level mobs for 1300+
Today my max crit was less than 800, and that was on mobs 2-3 levels lower.

I really hope these devs don't keep doing these knee-jerk reaction nerfs.
Just look what happened to Stormcallers in beta. They nerfed them into uselessness and haven't touched them since. I don't think I've seen a single Stormcaller mage since release.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Yes, I did enjoy the 1700+ crits in pve. Not thrilled with ranger either, aside from group/raid rifts. A sab I grouped with today claimed higher dmg post patch but I'm not sure I buy it. Really just wondering where survivability went.
en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Been playing my Chloro/Archon and a +2 level Saboteur caught me off-guard in a Codex match last night.
Stood toe-to-toe with him and he ended up as a corpse and I ended up with full HP/Mana.
Sabotuer spike damage is such a joke now.
There were a few times he got me down to half HP but that was as close as he got.

The nerf still makes me sad but I couldn't be happier with my new Ranger/Bard build.
It's not that great in PVP but it's excellent solo farming/grinding and in instances. Love the utility of the bard and the ranger's AE damage is really sweet.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Liking bladedancer/riftstalker/nightblade. Lvl 42 now. Lvl45 mobs are a bit tough still, but all else falls nicely with the aoes and health recoup from unused combo points.
en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Been mostly playing my mage.
Chloro/Archon/Domintor for PVP and Ele/Archon/Chloro for PVE.

Liking it a lot.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Don't know how well it compares to others, having fun with druid\justicar\sentinel.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Aabidano wrote:Don't know how well it compares to others, having fun with druid\justicar\sentinel.
Melee clerics are a blast.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Decided to go ahead and get the rogue to 50 before finishing up another calling.

Hoping that they fix the nerfed-to-shit sab at some point, but I really do enjoy the bd/rs/nb. I have a bard build as well, but it is so BORING!
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Have rogue at 49 now. Using riftstalker/bladedancer/nightblade for solo. Can pretty much take out 4-5 regular mobs in stilmoor citadel as long as I play the combos right. Using sab/rift/bard for pvp. I really like Stilmoor since it has a degree if difficulty for the solo player.
en kærlighed småkager
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Dalisa (rouge) has been 50 a week or so now, using Ranger/Bard/Nightblade for solo, new bow made a big difference. With the bard healing I have no issues taking out any of the group2 guys in the dailies.

Created another spec of Assassin, Bladedancer, Nightblade after seeing the video on the rift page and having a lot of fun up close, it's fun for groups and worked well in xIT the other night as I could get one of the MOBs out of commission for 45 seconds. Damage is pretty amazing but since I only had a few points in NB, training all the way upon on pretty much 3 new souls cost me well over 30P.

Warrior (Mathis) is 34 now, was using Pally, Warlord and Beastmaster (for the DPS) but found it difficult to hold aggro on multiple mobs in the instances. Dropping beast for Reaver fixed that and with the AC upgrades and some decent armor from the cairns (6 level 30 ones in the Lake of Solace) I haven't had a problem tanking or holding aggro at all. Primary for him is Paladin.

Marb
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I still haven't messed around with the ranged souls for rogue, aside from sab. What is your point distribution for your main? It would be nice to knock out dailies without help! :D
en kærlighed småkager
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Cane I've made some major mods since that post but I'll try to post some links in the next day or so as to what I'm doing now. Have dedicated roles for tank, ranged, melee and bard.

Saw Xou and Lath last night and ran xRotF, last 2 bosses we did with just 4 of us, fun times seeing old friends!

Marb

PS - Usually on Dalisa on Shadefallen.