Super Bowl XLV

What do you think about the sports world?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Super Bowl XLV

Post by Aslanna »

Ha. Manning. The dude should spend more time at practice and less time making commercials and they might win a few more games.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aslanna wrote:Ha. Manning. The dude should spend more time at practice and less time making commercials and they might win a few more games.
Are you seriously criticizing Peyton Manning's work ethic?
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I would argue that he needs to make BETTER commercials...those oreo commercials are awful.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Spang wrote:
Aslanna wrote:Ha. Manning. The dude should spend more time at practice and less time making commercials and they might win a few more games.
Are you seriously criticizing Peyton Manning's work ethic?
If it means not seeing his stupid face 10 times an hour... yeah. DSRL? I mean come on!

--
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Jice, one more addition to the list of misnames from the Steelers: the coach is Mike TOMLIN. The TOMLINSON that comes to mind when you type that, is LaDainian, washed up RB for the Jests. For the most part this discussion has been pretty respectful but this many mistakes on pretty much every Steeler you try to name is ridiculous.

Spang, Aslanna looks to be criticizing Eli, not Peyton, with the Oreo commercials.

Winnow, shouldn't you be watching figure skating or something? Kurt Warner and the 2nd rate cast offs known as the Cardinals, don't figure into this discussion, possibly save for the fact that Larry Fitzgerald deserves a real team to play for.

As for the QBs, I might be inclined to take Rodgers over Big Ben with the Steelers line: he is mobile enough he might be able to make it work. I agree with Kilmoll that Brady, Peyton and Brees might not be able avoid and handle that beating. One thing that can't be taken away from Roethlisberger though is that he knows how to win. He might make some (costly!) mistakes but most of the time, he gets it going at the right time: the end of the game... which says clutch. No, Sanchez didn't outplay him in the AFC final and no Warner didn't 2 years ago. I think that it is fair to say the Steelers lead with their D and when it doesn't perform (as on last Sunday... again hats off to the Packers), the game is in doubt, but its not lost.
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Gzette wrote:Top five QBs:
1. Peyton
2. Brady
3. Rodgers
4. Brees
5. Rivers
I agree with this list, but I would put Brady on top and Rogers at the bottom. Its easy to rack up passing stats when your coach doesn't run the ball and you have really good recievers in abundance, like Rogers. Its a lot harder when your O-line and Defense suck balls and your recievers struggle to catch a cold (Rivers and Brady). This is one of the reasons I think Montana and Aikman might be slightly overrated, because they had such rediculously good supporting casts, compared to a lot of modern era QBs.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

All this talk about bad O-Lines is supporting my thought that Kurt Warner is a football god.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Well, in some ways he was. He owns the top two QB superbowl performances and he never really had any kind of line to play behind. You can obviously see the difference in AZ with and without him. I would expect him to get into the Hall of Fame, honestly. The question is whether its as a Ram or a Cardinal.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Wulfran wrote:Spang, Aslanna looks to be criticizing Eli, not Peyton, with the Oreo commercials.
I wasn't! They were both in the DSRL commercials from what I remember.

--
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

Jice Virago wrote:
Gzette wrote:Top five QBs:
1. Peyton
2. Brady
3. Rodgers
4. Brees
5. Rivers
I agree with this list, but I would put Brady on top and Rogers at the bottom. Its easy to rack up passing stats when your coach doesn't run the ball and you have really good recievers in abundance, like Rogers. Its a lot harder when your O-line and Defense suck balls and your recievers struggle to catch a cold (Rivers and Brady). This is one of the reasons I think Montana and Aikman might be slightly overrated, because they had such rediculously good supporting casts, compared to a lot of modern era QBs.
To me Peyton is the tops for his unmatched ability to run an offense and his ability to excel without a run game for ever. The last good RB they had was Edgerrin James, and we quickly found out how good he actually was when he went to Arizona (actually terrible). His receiver corps is not much better than most teams. Yes, Reggie Wayne is a God. Dallas Clark is good, but streaky and was totally injured this year. The rest are just interchangeable dudes. Who knew who Pierre Garcon was before he filled in for an injured Anthony Gonzales. Same with Austin Collie. These guys would probably be mediocre to sub-par on any other team.

So with no run game and strained WRs, they still made the play offs ... again. And it was all Peyton.

Brady has the Jesus arm and more championships, but if I could choose, I'd take Peyton in a heart beat.
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Winnow wrote:All this talk about bad O-Lines is supporting my thought that Kurt Warner is a football god.
While I'm not going to talk shit about Warner, in St. Louis, where he put up some truly ruduculus stats, he did have both Orlando Pace at the pinnacle of his ability to turn elite NFL defensive linemen into IHOP pancake specials and possibly the best outlet receiver at tailback in Marshall Faulk.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

masteen wrote:
Winnow wrote:All this talk about bad O-Lines is supporting my thought that Kurt Warner is a football god.
While I'm not going to talk shit about Warner, in St. Louis, where he put up some truly ruduculus stats, he did have both Orlando Pace at the pinnacle of his ability to turn elite NFL defensive linemen into IHOP pancake specials and possibly the best outlet receiver at tailback in Marshall Faulk.

He'll be in the Hall of Fame because of what he did in Arizona not St Louis. One Superbowl wouldn't have put him in the HoF. What he accomplished with the Cardinals is remarkable. (and in the Super Bowls themselves as Jice mentioned)
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Don't forget kurt is also the poster child for NFL feel good story. That is what makes him a first ballot HoFamer.