Splinter Cell: Conviction

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Splinter Cell: Conviction

Post by Fairweather Pure »

This is my first Splinter Cell game and I like it. Graphics are good, voice acting is good, and the stealthy "feel" of the game is great (although completely unnecessary so far, see comment in a moment). It feels very "Batman: Arkham Asylum-esque" IMO. My only issue so far is that the AI is dumb as fucking shit. While learning the controls, I've barrel rolled right into 2 bad guys having a conversation and they didn't even budge as I jumped back behind cover about 4 feet from them. Thanks to the stupid AI, the stealth aspect of the game means pretty much nothing because you can just run and gun down dozens of stupid AI enemies instead of sneaking around in the shadows. I'm trying to be sneaky anyway, but if I get detected, it's certainly not the end of the world. You just shoot everyone in the face with a silenced pistol and move on to the next room. From what I've heard, this is another short game (around 5-6 hours?), but I will likely also do a co-op mode run with a friend of mine who's been bugging me since release to get the game just for that purpose. I like the game, but I am really glad I did not buy this day 1 at 60$. I had it in my hands at one time and was about to do just that!

The one game mechanic that stands out is the ability to use a mirror underneath a door in order to spot enemies. I also like the way that hints and story elements are projected onto the actual walls in-game like a movie. That's a subtle but nice touch.
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Re: Splinter Cell: Conviction

Post by Dakanaf »

It makes me sad that this is your first Splinter Cell game and you say it's "Batman: Arkham Asylum-esque". If anything batman took a lot of its gameplay from splinter cell.
The first and third (choas theory) are some of my favorite games. Along with the first few Ghost Recons. I liked conviction but it can't hold a candle to the feeling of being all alone in the bad guy's liar of the first few games in the series. For some reason tom clancy games are getting easier, perhaps to appeal to a broader audience. Don't even get me started on how they destroyed ghost recon...

Seriously though, you should play choas theory, I think it's available to download in the xbox originals section.