Console Online Play Stats

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Console Online Play Stats

Post by Siji »

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3205 ... ontent.php

Someone get a mop, miir's about to start blubbering again..

The only numbers the PS3 did better in than the 360 were watching DVDs on Blu-Ray (duh) and using the internet for browsing, social networking and watching videos.

Xbox 360 Leads Online Play, Wii Users Spend 20% Of Time On Streaming Content
Research firm Nielsen's latest game industry survey found that Xbox 360 users spend 62 percent of their console time on games -- with their playtime evenly split between online and offline play. PlayStation 3 users spend a little more than half of their console time doing things other than gaming -- and when they play, it's "relatively more" offline versus online play than its rival.
So.. the PS3 is such a better gaming console that a smaller percentage of PS3 owners actually use it to, you know, play games than owners of the 360. And PSN is so much better than Live (because it's free after all!) that a smaller percentage of PS3 owners play online compared to 360 owners that are forced to pay to play online..

Strange.. according to this XBOX 360 users spend more time on their consoles than PS3 users do. It must be because the PS3 is so awesome that you can only handle so much awesomeness before you have to step away and recuperate.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Re: Console Online Play Stats

Post by Aardor »

Strange.. according to this XBOX 360 users spend more time on their consoles than PS3 users do. It must be because the PS3 is so awesome that you can only handle so much awesomeness before you have to step away and recuperate.
Only cause the XBOX was out a year earlier!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Those biased numbers don't even take into account cultural differences, like in Japan where the 360 is seen as the colossal failure it should be seen as here. And also if you take note of the money people spend on xbox live and compare it to the numbers of people who play PS3 online, it's clear that they only play xbox live because they are obligated by the money they spent.

:roll:
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I'm not surprised at these numbers.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Isn't this just a totally logical extension of the fact that a lot of people use the thing as a blu-ray player?

OF COURSE the "how often do you use it for gaming" numbers are going to be lower on the system that has multiple functions rather than the system that has one.

Am I missing something?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The 360 can play movies too. Dvds, netflix, zune, streaming.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I never watched a single BR on mine.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I have only been considering the PS3 for the blu-ray capabilities lately. Games on it would just be a plus. I haven't even turned my 360 on in around a year.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Boogahz wrote:I have only been considering the PS3 for the blu-ray capabilities lately. Games on it would just be a plus. I haven't even turned my 360 on in around a year.
A year or two ago, when Blu Ray players and PS3s had comparable prices, a PS3 was the easy choice IMO. However, now that Blu Ray players are so much cheaper, I say just get a stand alone.

I play and stream from xbox for the simple reason that my universal remote works with them, but does not work with the PS3 because since it has no IR receiver. It can only be controlled with a blue tooth device or through an adapter. It's one of the many small things about the PS3 that add up to be pretty big issues for me personally.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I have contemplated using my 360 again after seeing that it can be used as an additional receiver with Uverse TV.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Boogahz wrote:I have only been considering the PS3 for the blu-ray capabilities lately. Games on it would just be a plus. I haven't even turned my 360 on in around a year.
A year or two ago, when Blu Ray players and PS3s had comparable prices, a PS3 was the easy choice IMO. However, now that Blu Ray players are so much cheaper, I say just get a stand alone.
I concur. Using PS3 to play movies will just make the laser burn out that much faster!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Stand alone Blu Ray players with wifi built in and Netflix streaming are dirt cheap (and I still wouldn't buy one!). Why would you want a PS3 if it's just for movies? It's ahunk of junk and you'll have to deal with endless hella long firmware updates from Sony...like every day, 30 mins, if you connect it to the net.

I haven't played a Blu Ray movie in my PS3 yet. I'm not big on extras and prefer 1080P files as they are so much easier to access anywhere I want on my network.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I'm much more likely to just get an internal Blu-ray drive for my PC before getting a PS3. I was just saying that was the only reason I had even been considering getting the PS3 at all. I couldn't justify paying the higher price for it as a media player if I wouldn't use it as a gaming console too.