Top 10 most disappointing games of 2010 (IGN)

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Top 10 most disappointing games of 2010 (IGN)

Post by Fairweather Pure »

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/113/1137041p1.html

10. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I
9. PlayStation Move
8. Lost Planet 2
7. Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
6. Crackdown 2
5. Microsoft Kinect
4. Fable III
3. Medal of Honor
2. Gran Turismo 5
1. Final Fantasy XIII

Agree/Disagree?

Looking over the list, I wouldn't put either Kinect or Move on there. Instead, I would replace them with two more games.

FFXIV is already legendary in it's failure and disappointment. Then I would add probably ModNation Racers. The load times, even when patched take away from the game immensely and made me pretty disappointed that I paid full price for that one. All the rest seem pretty well in place based on what I've read. Some might add Alan Wake in there somewhere too. Fable 3 has reviewed so poorly and pissed off so many fans that I don't even think I'll buy that even when it's in the cheapie bin!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Top 10 most disappointing games of 2010 (IGN)

Oh shit, add God of War 3 to that list. I'm not sure how I could forget that one. After playing through 1, then part way through 2, I jumped right into 3 on release day only to fight the exact same enemies I had in the first and second, while using the exact same combos. I was pretty disappointed. Maybe I shouldn't have played them all in a row.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I could see Move being there since it's just a Wiimote+ but not sure I agree on Kinect. But yeah if their article title was "Top 10 most disappointing games of 2010" then neither should have been there.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

It's obvious they put a few things on that list just to incite gamer rage.

GT5 has no place on that list, nor does Kinect.
I'm not really sure how Move could be considered a disappointment, it pretty much surpassed all of it's expectations.

IGN has been going to shit for the past year or so anyway. Their reviews are terrible and their articles even worse.
Just look at some of the mind boggling nominations in their best of 2010 categories.

As for God of War 3... you're the first person I've seen describe the game as a disappointment.
Last edited by miir on November 27, 2010, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Well, there's your disappointment and then there are other's disappointment. Even not having played some of those games, I've seen enough professional and user reviews to agree with the list overall.

Disappointment does not necessarily mean the game was bad, it just means that people were let down. I can say that about both God of War 3 and ModNation Racers. Good games, but I was let down. They could've been better. Out of those listed above that I own, I get the feeling that Crackdown 2 will be the worst offender! I heard that Lost Planet 2 has been patched significantly since launch and the main complaint was that it wasn't similar enough to the first one. That doesn't mean it's bad. Actually, I think Funk loved it. It's one of the reasons I've kept an eye out for a sale instead of giving up on it completely!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

That's a pretty shit list all around imo.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I avoid IGN like the plague, I find that I rarely ever agree with them. The only gaming site I bother reading reviews on anymore is Game Informer, I find that I rarely disagree with them much.

I really liked both Lost Planet games, and most of the changes were welcome overall to me, I thought it was a well put together game and I would actually play the online still if I had people to party up with.

Gran Turismo 5 being on that list is ridiculous, just because there are fans out there that don't get the concept of a development cycle and expected this game to give them a bj while they played it, doesn't mean any respectable site should feed into that nonsense. Realistically the game only had a 4.5 year development cycle, the first 4 years of the work was scrapped when the PS3 came out.. For how the final product ended up, you'd have to be bordering on retarded to question why it took 4-5 years, not to mention thinking the game fell short of what it should be.

Final Fantasy XIII I disagree with, as well, obviously. It wasn't the best game ever made, or even the best RPG ever made, I'll give you that. However I like JRPGs, I like pretty much everything about them, and I think this game delivered just fine in that department.

My major problem with people's expectation is many of you expect every game that comes out to reset the bar for that genre. This is absurd, and I could care less about how hyped the game was, we are all (mostly) adults and should be able to walk away from the hype adds/videos with what we need/want to know about the game, but that clearly isn't the case. Did people expect Obama to be the second coming of Christ because of the hype surrounding him during the elections, and then jump all over him because he couldn't walk on water? Oh, wait, they did.

I can't imagine calling either Modnation or God of War 3 (especially this) a disappointment either, at all. God of War 3 was a polished and fun game, again, why does it need to break the mold of it's genre to not be a disappointment in your eyes? Makes no sense to me.

Edit: Figured this was worth mentioning; two of my buddys I do most of my online gaming with have been strictly 360 only gamers, and have shown little interest in the PS3. They both bought Ps3's for Gran Turismo, and are loving it. They both picked up Modnation as well.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Any gamer can play a game like Red Dead, Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, etc and see how much fail is in FFXIII.

They can't give that game away. it's 19.99 special. I won't even play it for free. It's a disappointment to everyone except Miir and Funk who also happen to like FFXIV mysteriously which has been a massive failure.
FF14 Mega-Patch Hides Player Numbers After 50% Drop

Rather than fixing FF14, Square Enix appears to be busy trying to cover up how badly it is doing – the much vaunted mega-patch discretely hid the server populations, which just happened to coincide with player populations reaching their lowest ever, now below 22,000, a 48% decrease from the peak.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The 3rd best selling Final Fantasy game overall.
Yea, +6 million sales is such a fail. :roll:
Enslaved sold roughly 6 million less than FFXIV :lol:

As for FFXIV, it's still got the bones of a good game, they just need to start pumping out some content and keep going with the fixes and polish. By the time the PS3 release rolls around, it should be acceptable.

I'm a bit surprised 13 made the list instead of 14.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Funkmasterr wrote:Edit: Figured this was worth mentioning; two of my buddys I do most of my online gaming with have been strictly 360 only gamers, and have shown little interest in the PS3. They both bought Ps3's for Gran Turismo, and are loving it. They both picked up Modnation as well.
Nearly everyone on my PSN friends has been playing the shit out of GT5 this week.
I've never seen that happen with any game.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:Edit: Figured this was worth mentioning; two of my buddys I do most of my online gaming with have been strictly 360 only gamers, and have shown little interest in the PS3. They both bought Ps3's for Gran Turismo, and are loving it. They both picked up Modnation as well.
Nearly everyone on my PSN friends has been playing the shit out of GT5 this week.
I've never seen that happen with any game.

Happens all the time on xbox.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Happens all the time on xbox.
Uhhh, it's got fuck all to do with the console, you moron.

Most of my friends on PSN are actual real life friends and family... Many of whom are casual gamers at best.
My 'gamer' friends on PSN are often seen all playing the same game.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Then why are you surprised?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Are you really that dense?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I think miir meant to say aren't, at least thats how I took it.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

What I said makes perfect sense.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

GT5 absolutely deserves to be on that list. I might even put it at #1. Given the time this piece of shit was in development, the ports of the old cars should be better, there should be MORE non-Jap-market-only cars, more tracks, better AI, the list really goes on. The only thing that nobody should criticize is the physics engine; it's stellar, but again, it's not THAT much better than GT4 given the time put in on this project.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I thought this was humorous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox70Ho9_jX4
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

There's quite a large laundry list of reasons GT5 is on the list. The longer it is out, the more of a disappointment it is becoming.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Animalor wrote:I thought this was humorous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox70Ho9_jX4
I've seen a similar one where the player cars are at a dead stop in the middle of the track. The GT5 AI don't bother swerving out of the way at all and just ram the player car over and over until they get around it. Meanwhile, in Forza 3, the AI cars swerve wildly.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Hint: unless you've actually played the game, your input is worthless.

If youre actually playing the game and think that stuff, I have no idea how. There are plenty of tracks, I personally wouldn't want to suffer through the learning curve on too many more.

There is a good variety of cars. Im glad there isn't a abundance of American cars, because they're trash. Fuck American muscle!

I really dont see any valid complaints, tbh... And I've put like 50 hours into it already.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

P.s. If I hear one more comment about how long the game took, I'll scream. You do realize 4 + years into development they pretty much started over at square one when the PS3 came out, right? So thats puts development at about 4 years, and this game is at or above the quality of any other game with a similar development cycle.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

So having retarded AI is perfectly acceptable after 4 years of development? :lol:
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Happens all the time on xbox.
And it's much easier (imo) to see such a thing on the 360. I hate the way friends work on the PS3. That's not a ding on the console, just as a comparison to Live, PSN isn't a comparison - IMO.

I agree that's a crappy list. Where's Alan Wake? Nier? Madden 11? Tiger Woods 11? Alpha Protocol? The new Harry Potter (possibly worst game ever!)? FFXIII isn't the greatest, but I don't think it's top 10 disappointing either. There have been a LOT of bad game releases this year that are much worse. I understand by disappointment it implies high expectations in the first place.. but Kinect? Aside from not being a game, how is it a disappointment?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

masteen wrote:So having retarded AI is perfectly acceptable after 4 years of development? :lol:
Not sure how the AI is retarded.. They cock block the ever loving shit out of me and do a great job of it. I guess I don't give a fuck if they don't try and drive around me when I stop in the middle of the track, because the only reason you'd do that is to try and prove some kind of a douchy, irrelevant point.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Hahah, the trolls are out in full force.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Siji wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:Happens all the time on xbox.
And it's much easier (imo) to see such a thing on the 360. I hate the way friends work on the PS3. That's not a ding on the console, just as a comparison to Live, PSN isn't a comparison - IMO.

I agree that's a crappy list. Where's Alan Wake? Nier? Madden 11? Tiger Woods 11? Alpha Protocol? The new Harry Potter (possibly worst game ever!)? FFXIII isn't the greatest, but I don't think it's top 10 disappointing either. There have been a LOT of bad game releases this year that are much worse. I understand by disappointment it implies high expectations in the first place.. but Kinect? Aside from not being a game, how is it a disappointment?
Just because a game isn't great that doesn't make it disappointing. The same goes for a good game. Just because it's disappointing doesn't mean it still can't be a good game. I don't see how anyone could expect much from Madden and Tiger Woods other than incremental (at best) updates over previous years. Nier? Nobody was expecting great things from that. Same for Harry Potter.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

If this is about gaming dissapointments, there's all the news about the great studios that activision killed this year.. Infinity Ward, Bizzare etc.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Duke Nukem Forever looking like it will be entertaining and loyal to the original:

http://kotaku.com/5739729/finally-the-c ... er-trailer
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I need to shrink and step on people. It better be in there. Go Duke!
- Ash