Skyline

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Skyline

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I went to see this over the weekend and I have to warn you now that you should wait for a rental or a free download. The movie started off great but then one impossiblity after another finallizing with a real bullshit improbable ending sunk this movie for me.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Skyline

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Trailer looks fun but the critics are eating this movie alive. I'll wait for Netflix streaming for sure.

The plus side? This movie had a budget of 10 million dollars. Yeah, that's it. It made a profit on it's opening day, lol. There'll be a sequel for sure!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

http://www.badassdigest.com/2010/11/12/ ... riously-so
And in the end, what’s the moral of Skyline? Simple: Just because you can make a movie doesn’t mean you should. But if you do, please make it as amazingly bad as this one.
Sounds like a fun movie for sure, but not one I would want to go see in the theater.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Trailer looked like "Matrix octo-thingies in LA". I'll wait for free version! :)
en kærlighed småkager
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

Bubba Grizz wrote:I went to see this over the weekend and I have to warn you now that you should wait for a rental or a free download. The movie started off great but then one impossiblity after another finallizing with a real bullshit improbable ending sunk this movie for me.
Can you awesomely spoiler this for me somehow? I wanted to see this because it looked neat and possibly entertaining, or horribly, horribly bad (most likely horribly bad). But I like movies with aliens and stuff.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Sure I can try.
[Show]
The opening scene is really rather cool actually. They show the aliens coming out of the sky at about 4:30 AM. Big bright blue lights falling and hitting the ground. It shows the main char and his woman in bed sleeping and the light seeping through the blinds. They are in a penthouse apartment. The guy steps out into the living room where the blinds and a door to the balcony have been opened. He sees the light and is instantly drawn to it and it causes all kinds of ugly on his face.

They then flash back to how he got there and they set up some background on his relationship with his buddy who struck it rich. This is the black guy from scrubs. Events ensue until they get to the previous point with the light. At this point the invasion is starting. Everyone who looked into the light is being drawn to it and are getting sucked up into the mother ships which are starting to appear. Many smaller ships appear and are searching for more people who didn't look into the light. Some cool special effects. At this point the movie is really pretty cool.

The bullshit starts when the airforce actually hits a mothership with a nuke. It totally takes down a mothership and it crashes into the landscape. Then after everyone is done cheering, the mothership starts to rebuild itself and all the little ships and creatures are all alive and running around still. The plan for this handful of people is to get to the marina and take a boat out because they haven't seen any ships over the water.

In the mean timethe main character is discovering that he is getting really powerful due to the effect of the lights that he got rescued from. He then pummels an invader with his fists. It goes down hill from here. After dodging bullets from a fighter jet while running from a huge invader and then ducking as the plane nearly crashes into them they get sucked up into a mother ship. This whole time I'm wondering why the invaders give such a shit about these two people.

It turns out that the invaders are using humans to create more of themselves by ripping out the brains and putting them into waiting hosts. Well when they get the hero's brain he becomes super shit and starts fighting the powers that be. And that is how it ended with glimpses of him fighting.
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

Bubba Grizz wrote:Sure I can try.
[Show]
The opening scene is really rather cool actually. They show the aliens coming out of the sky at about 4:30 AM. Big bright blue lights falling and hitting the ground. It shows the main char and his woman in bed sleeping and the light seeping through the blinds. They are in a penthouse apartment. The guy steps out into the living room where the blinds and a door to the balcony have been opened. He sees the light and is instantly drawn to it and it causes all kinds of ugly on his face.

They then flash back to how he got there and they set up some background on his relationship with his buddy who struck it rich. This is the black guy from scrubs. Events ensue until they get to the previous point with the light. At this point the invasion is starting. Everyone who looked into the light is being drawn to it and are getting sucked up into the mother ships which are starting to appear. Many smaller ships appear and are searching for more people who didn't look into the light. Some cool special effects. At this point the movie is really pretty cool.

The bullshit starts when the airforce actually hits a mothership with a nuke. It totally takes down a mothership and it crashes into the landscape. Then after everyone is done cheering, the mothership starts to rebuild itself and all the little ships and creatures are all alive and running around still. The plan for this handful of people is to get to the marina and take a boat out because they haven't seen any ships over the water.

In the mean timethe main character is discovering that he is getting really powerful due to the effect of the lights that he got rescued from. He then pummels an invader with his fists. It goes down hill from here. After dodging bullets from a fighter jet while running from a huge invader and then ducking as the plane nearly crashes into them they get sucked up into a mother ship. This whole time I'm wondering why the invaders give such a shit about these two people.

It turns out that the invaders are using humans to create more of themselves by ripping out the brains and putting them into waiting hosts. Well when they get the hero's brain he becomes super shit and starts fighting the powers that be. And that is how it ended with glimpses of him fighting.
I should probably mail you $9
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Hah Like I said, the movie was good up to a certain point and then it just got crazy stupid. So many, "why" questions.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

This movie wasn't amazingly bad at all, not by a long shot. I was really, really expecting a terrible film, but ended up more than a little surprised. The special effects are totally solid. There were some interesting ideas in here, and some of the shots were really well thought out. The ending was pure cock teasing though, which pissed me off. That left a bad taste in my mouth. I cannot stand movies without a resolution. This movie got you to that point, then it simply ended at when it was just getting good.

This is one of those movies where if I didn't know everyone already hated it, I wouldn't have guessed it would have gotten such scathing reviews. The worst part to me was that you could tell the actors were sometimes fighting and dodging invisible monsters, ala a really cheesy Sci-Fi TV movie. Other than that, it hit all the typical marks one would expect from an alien invasion movie.

I would give it a 6.5-7/10. I was expecting a 3.

There is no fucking way this movie was made for 10 million. Someone is fudging the books somewhere. I would've guessed more like 30-50 million. The vast majority of the effects are absolutely rock solid and fun to see.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

It was basically a demo reel for The Brothers Strause.
The screenplay could have been written by a 16 year old, the acting was barely passable, and the story was moronic.
There is no fucking way this movie was made for 10 million
No-name actors aren't paid shit, the live action sequences were shot in Greg Strause's fucking condo and the rest of the movie was done in post.
95% of the movie was done in their own studio by the two of them.

10 mil is probably an over-estimate. :lol:
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

$10 mil is what it cost factoring in hookers and blow. Lots and lots of blow.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The special effects are totally solid. There were some interesting ideas in here, and some of the shots were really well thought out.
I agree with this... but I wouldn't really call them 'shots' since they were probably all done in Maya or Liquid.

You do know these are the same guys who did the CGI and effects for big-budget flicks like Fantastic Four, Terminator 3, and The Day After Tomorrow
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The film was completely financed by Colin and Greg Strause without the assistance of any major studio.

The film was shot almost entirely at co-director Greg Strause's condo building adjacent to Marina Del Rey (but technically located in the city limits of Venice, Los Angeles).

The filmmakers shot a test trailer on Thanksgiving 2009, while the writers started developing the treatment, marking less than a year from the blank page to the big screen.

Shot entirely on the new Red cameras with the Mysterium-X chip owned by the Brothers Strause.

There are over 800 VFX shots in the film, more than most franchise tent poles.

When Relativity asked for newscasters for the teaser, co-writer and producer Liam O'Donnell suggested his uncle, political commentator Lawrence O'Donnell.

Filming only cost $500,000, while the digital effects cost an additional $10 million.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Smart guys then. I knew those weren't 10 million dollar effects. Do it yourself and make movies for next to nothing. That's pretty much how Robert Rodriguez does it too. He doesn't work out of Hollywood at all. Troublemaker Studios is located in Texas and is completely self sufficient. That's one hell of a way to keep production costs down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troublemaker_Studios
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:I agree with this... but I wouldn't really call them 'shots' since they were probably all done in Maya or Liquid.
No, I'm referring to the physical shooting. In the beginning, they pan across a movie poster in the bedroom of "Invasion of the Spider Women". When the super made the decision he was going to turn on the gas and take an alien with him, the camera focuses on the background painting of a samurai, then focuses on the man's face in the foreground drawing a parallel with a kamikaze. Stuff like that. They obviously put some thought into their work and I always give director's some respect for that.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I'll give them credit for competent cinematography, but they need to find better writers.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Smart guys then. I knew those weren't 10 million dollar effects. Do it yourself and make movies for next to nothing. That's pretty much how Robert Rodriguez does it too. He doesn't work out of Hollywood at all. Troublemaker Studios is located in Texas and is completely self sufficient. That's one hell of a way to keep production costs down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troublemaker_Studios

hehe, I've accidentally run across a few of his shooting locations around town. They had a large area around the Capitol blocked off for Machete. Saw some shots with DeNiro that I didn't expect to see. I appreciate the "smaller studios" that can put stuff out. They may still have some ties to Hollywood, but they don't see to let them dictate how they make their films.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This movie was not good.

I don't know where to begin so I won't.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I watched Battle LA. That was a 6/10. My Skyline score dropped to a 4/10.

Both movies were wasted potential. The best alien invasion movie I'be seen in years was Attack the Block, a british independent flick out now in limited release.

Here's the redband trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgXWKqIG ... ata_player