Vangaurd revisited

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Vangaurd revisited

Post by Aabidano »

Saw a free trial was available on the station launcher and went and took another look. Far better game than it was at release, which admittedly isn't saying much at all.

In a couple hours play I've fallen through the world a couple times and gotten stuck in terrain multiple times. Bright side is the unstuck feature works well.

It's down to two servers and they're pretty empty.

Had to reinstall as something aspolded and the game would load w\ a black screen, you could tell from the sound that you were in game but that was about it.

Too bad it's still so broken, had a lot of potential.

Back to EQII
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Vangaurd revisited

Post by Fairweather Pure »

This game broke up my very first guild, The Companions, because the guild leader, his wife, and a few others left to try something new.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Newer isn't always better. There's still EQ!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Are there still lumberjacking raids?
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Haven't seen that :)

Despite the bugs it's a pretty cool game really. SoE really screwed the pooch on this one, much better game than WoW.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

It was Sigil/McQuaid who screwed the pooch.
SOE actually tried really fucking hard to salvage a game out of the mess that was Vanguard @ release... and for the most part they succeeded, but it was already too late.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yeah not sure how you can blame SOE for that. Maybe somewhat if they rushed them to get it out but I don't know the whole story and don't really think that was the case. I blame Brad "The Vision" McQuaid.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

If you compare EQ or EQ2 with Vanguard, what was the main difference?
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The game has been out for almost 4 years... info shouldn';t be that hard to find.
I was one of the few people here who actually played it for more than a month or two at release, but the game is quite a bit different now.

It's a pretty standard MMO with some interesting classes and innovative combat mechanics.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

miir wrote:The game has been out for almost 4 years... info shouldn';t be that hard to find.
I was one of the few people here who actually played it for more than a month or two at release, but the game is quite a bit different now.

It's a pretty standard MMO with some interesting classes and innovative combat mechanics.
I actually played it from the friends and family beta through release.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

miir wrote:I was one of the few people here who actually played it for more than a month or two at release, but the game is quite a bit different now.

Reserving for future FFXIV quote.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

yeah I played Beta as well. I thought the game was really cool. I espeically loved the crafting. Very in depth and you could level as a crafter without having to level as an adventurer. Pretty soon though all the adventurers quit because there was no content and after that the crafters quit because there was no one to craft for.

They had player made housing and ships. Your horse was almost a mountable bank.

I think they just tried going huge from the get go and it got overwhelming. Tough to get done when you are running out of money and facing a deadline. I remember the day that they went back to SOE and then promptly fired almost everyone on the staff.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

It's also hard to make a game when "The Vision" is too hopped up on oxycodone to bother supplying his programmers with the tools they need to create content.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

masteen wrote:It's also hard to make a game when "The Vision" is too hopped up on oxycodone
Where to you think the Vision comes from?

:)
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

miir wrote:It was Sigil/McQuaid who screwed the pooch...
I played in beta a bit up to release time. At the time I thought it was a push from Sony to get the game in production and recoup their investment as quickly as possible.

I'd agree that they were aiming for far too much at the start, with the resources they had available anyway.

Despite some annoying bugs it's a really nice game today. Player community is really nice, much like LoTRO was before going free to play.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

It was my understanding that Microsoft was originally footing the bill for the game... then after 4 years of... well not much, they dumped it and Sigil bought back control of it.

A few months later, SOE picked up the publishing rights. They we going to handle marketing, subscription services, support and maintenance. They weren't actively involved in development from a creative or financial standpoint.

A few months after release, SOE acquired Sigil, fired pretty much the whole staff then hired some of them back as SOE employees.

So SOE really had very little investment in the game until mid 2007
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

miir wrote:It was my understanding that Microsoft was originally footing the bill for the game... then after 4 years of... well not much, they dumped it and Sigil bought back control of it.

A few months later, SOE picked up the publishing rights. They we going to handle marketing, subscription services, support and maintenance. They weren't actively involved in development from a creative or financial standpoint.

A few months after release, SOE acquired Sigil, fired pretty much the whole staff then hired some of them back as SOE employees.

So SOE really had very little investment in the game until mid 2007
Pretty damn close to what happened.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon