So I finally got an xbox...

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

So I finally got an xbox...

Post by masteen »

One of the new ones that actually come with all the shit a console should. I also ordered RDR, so that's taken care of.

I have a sub to gamefly, but the PSP and PS2 are pretty stagnant. What are the top notch older games I should check out on the 360?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Re: So I finally got an xbox...

Post by Syenye »

Some of my favorites: Oblivion, Mass Effect 1/2, Dragon Age, Bioshock, Fable 2
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Name off some games you enjoyed from last gen and I can suggest equal or better versions from this gen. Also, will you be playing local co-op, online multi, or just solo games? A genre will help (RPG, RTS, FPS, action, plat former,ect) along with your preferred setting (sci fi, fantasy, modern, ect).

There are an insane amount and variety of XBL games out there worth playing from beginning to end. You could keep yourself busy just with those downloadable games for months and be happy without ever putting a disc in the tray.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Assassin's Creed 2 is a huge one. I loved the first personally but some people through it was really repetitive.
Gears 1 and 2, Halo 3 and Reach are great if you like shooters.

Alan Wake is fantastic too.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Oooh.. GTA4 : Episodes from Liberty City are great. I would almost recommend playing those over the original GTA4. Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony are fantastic.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Get that new Lara Croft game download.
It's fan-fucking-tastic.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Borderlands is a must own....as is Fallout 3.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

yeah Borderlands... and all of the above. If you have kids, do the rock band thing. My kids still love that game.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Oh I'll be getting Rock Band 3 for Crimmas I imagine.

I've heard mixed reviews about Halo Reach, and while I'm not the biggest shooter fanatic, I do like to cap some bitches every once in a while. Should rent both Reach and 3 to see which I prefer? Or is Reach the only one worth checking out?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Just get Reach. It's even a prequel so it's not like you're missing any vital story elements. Although, knowing how things play out in later games adds some gravity to certian scenes and cameos in Reach.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I would get Reach. The campaign is a lot of fun and a decent length for a shooter, and there are a ton of multiplayer options.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I'd go for Reach as well. There hasn't been a Halo game yet with this much staying power for me personally.

If you have no problems with XBLA games, Castle Crashers and Shadow Complex are fantastic.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

You should also post your gamer tag so VVers can add you!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:Get that new Lara Croft game download.
It's fan-fucking-tastic.
The xbox version now has online coop as well as some DLC today that is free for the next 30 days. It's a new section and 4 challenges? Something like that. I grabbed it but haven't checked it out yet. I've spent over 60$ on xbl games and add ons his month so it's taking me awhile to get around to all of it. Hydro Thunder released 3 new tracks and a couple more boats too!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2 (Make it your next game!)
Halo: Reach
Fable 2 (Not 3)
Fallout 3 (GoTY edition)
Borderlands - (wait for the soon to be released GoTY edition)
Assassin's Creed 2
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Deathspank (DLC)
Deathspank Thongs of Virtue (DLC)
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

I'd play Assassin's Creed 1 as well so you understand the story (lolore) and also can appreciate number 2 that much more :) Honestly, I liked 1, but I like collecting things.

An older game, but one I found surprisingly enjoyable was Gun, tho I dunno how it'll hold up after playing RDR.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Dregor Thule wrote:I'd play Assassin's Creed 1 as well so you understand the story (lolore) and also can appreciate number 2 that much more :) Honestly, I liked 1, but I like collecting things.

An older game, but one I found surprisingly enjoyable was Gun, tho I dunno how it'll hold up after playing RDR.
I second the Assassin's Creed comment. Those 2 games are easily my favorite this generation.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Man, I thought the first Assassin's Creed was a horrible game. It was an excellent set-up and the graphics and character movement were cutting edge when it was released, but the game play itself was so repetitive and just plain not fun that I couldn't get into it. The game was beautiful but had no foundation.

The sequel, however, is one of my favorite games ever. They really listened to all the complaints about the first one and did an amazing job. I say read the wiki on the first one and jump straight into the second.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I liked the first one, too. I wouldn't recommend skipping it. In fact, I would never recommend skipping games in a series unless they span multiple console generations.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Skip Assassins Creed 1. There are a lot of fun games out there. Assassin's Creed 2 is much better. The developers learned from their mistakes and you don't need to play the first to enjoy it.

I'll second or third Borderlands as a fun game and Mass Effect 2 as the best game available for the 360. (you can skip the first on this one as well although it's nice but for same reasons as Ass1...I'd play ME1 over Ass1)