Need multi-player suggestions

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Need multi-player suggestions

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Here is the problem....

I have a couple of friends that are supremely picky that I play online with way too often. We are in need of some new multi-player games that we can knock around with for extended periods of time. To say that it is tough to come up with a game that has extended play time on a console is an understatement. Over the last 4 years or so, the games that we have stayed with for extended periods of time were Rainbow 6 vegas with the terrorist hunt, Borderlands, and CoD 4. World at War and MW2 were colossal failures for us....as was Red Dead's multi-player.

I know there is great hope for Black Ops, but with the last 2 they put out we are not holding out hope that the mp will be a long term play. I can already rule out L4D-2 as it would get too repetitive quickly. There really is no specific genre (other than sports games) that I would see ruling out. Anyone?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Need multi-player suggestions

Post by Fairweather Pure »

If you didn't take to the other CoDs, I definately don't see Black Ops changing that.

How many will be playing at once? Do you usually play 2-3 at a time randomly or do you all play together all the time?

(My first thoughts were CoD W@W and L4D!)
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

It is almost always 2-3. I liked L4D, but the other 2 are much pickier.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Reach?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Reach all the way. Between multiplayer, co-op campaign, firefight and creating your own levels in forge its pretty much win.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Didn't like L4D? Find new friends IMO.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

You and Dale are my favorite online gamers. I can't hang with your hours though =\ if you have a ps3 I may be into some gaming during the day since I am going partial telecommute soon!
en kærlighed småkager
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

For the PC, I thought Bad Company 2 blew away MW2 and any similar games. Reach is a probably the best suggestion though.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Reach was a no-go. I fucking hate Halo and every Halo bunny hopping faggot to ever play multiplayer PvP.

Rich, you need a 360 instead of a PS3! I usually play fairly late nights on the weekends and Fridays are a borefest anymore.

Aardor...while I contemplated BC:2, they nixed that one after the suckfest that was BC:1. I have no doubts it was better than MW2 as that was the second suckiest multiplayer game I have ever tried......with World at Bore being #1 by an enormous margin.

Both of the clowns in question were absolute Diablo 2 nuts....they played it like it was their job. I know that doesn't even come close to fitting in with the other titles played. Are there any Xbox titles out that are RPGish with multiplayer co-op and fairly open ended? I know Fable 2 won't be in that discussion as it really is not a good mp game.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Borderlands maybe? The GOTY verson with all DLC is coming out soonish. Sounds exactly like what you guys are looking for. Quests, a TON is equipment drops. Leveling system and a shit-ton of stuff to do.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I messed around a bit this week on Front Mission Evolved multiplayer and it was a blast.
Plays like a fast paced Mech Warrior (or a slow pace Armored core).

If your friends like giant robots, it might be worth checking out.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Animalor wrote:Borderlands maybe? The GOTY verson with all DLC is coming out soonish. Sounds exactly like what you guys are looking for. Quests, a TON is equipment drops. Leveling system and a shit-ton of stuff to do.
Over the last 4 years or so, the games that we have stayed with for extended periods of time were Rainbow 6 vegas with the terrorist hunt, Borderlands, and CoD 4.
Looks like that has already been done.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yea...we have played the shit out of Borderlands. I have 20+ days played on it. This newest DLC, while humorous, was a huge let down in difficulty. It has just pretty much hit the wall for me. I really wish there would be a Baldurs Gate type of game to hit...or even that Champions Online that was being thrown about for a while.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

If your friends are so picky, I say make them choose the game.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Jeff - I have a 360, at least I think it still works. Probably have a day worth of updates to download though. ;)
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Honestly 3-4 player multiplayer on the 360, not including sports things, you're pretty much left with shooters. And I don't see any of those not getting "too repetitive quickly" although some people seem to enjoy killing and being killed over and over for hours, weeks, and months. Maybe the new Assassin's Creed when it comes out might offer something. I have no idea on what the multiplayer portion will consist of.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Well I found one coming out next year that probably fills the role....

http://www.brinkthegame.com/

Another option coming at some point may be Age of Conan...which is being ported to consoles.

I wish it was as easy as telling them to pick it, but then I would hate it. Those two dumbasses have suckered me into some horrific games in the past.

The 360 updates are not like EQ updates....they go through pretty fast. No excuses Richard!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Speaking of Assassin's Creed, here's a link I just had in an email regarding the multiplayer beta:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/assas ... e=previews
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

let me revise this a bit.....how about a super creamy 2 player RPG type that is open-ended? I have been informed by the one super picky party that zombies suck to him.....so that saddens me deeply and has probably dropped him down on my list of friends. If it is a linear type game we would be finished way too fast.....so a Borderlands type of open-ended game is really the ticket
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Too bad you don't have a PSP, there's a some games (Monster Hunter and Phantasy Star Portable) that fit that description.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Titan's Quest maybe? It's a Diablo clone that is actually pretty good. Mythological Greek setting.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Dregor Thule wrote:Titan's Quest maybe? It's a Diablo clone that is actually pretty good. Mythological Greek setting.
Titan Quest is awesome!
But I think he's looking for Xbox games.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yea...shame that has not been ported to the xbox...it looked pretty good.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

My bad. I think you're fucked!
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

Monday Night Combat.
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

Castle Crashers?
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

If you're not totally opposed to FPS games I'd give Battlefield a try. Battlefield is substantially better than MW2 in nearly every way. It almost feels unfair to even compare them, but since that and COD4 are the only other online FPS games I've played outside of L4D2 / Borderlands / TF2 I kind of have to.

The real appeal to BF2BC2 for me is that it's much more goal-oriented than MW2. People actually tend to play to win rather than to boost their K-D ratios with mindless camping. While MW2 has game modes other than deathmatch, I find that most people merely use them as an opportunity to camp the people actually trying to complete objectives. That doesn't mean retards won't sit around and camp by any means, but I find that it's much less prevalent and much less effective than in MW2, making for more enjoyable gameplay. The vehicle combat is extremely fun as well, at least in my opinion - while they may be a bit overpowered on certain maps they're usually balanced out by Engineers (and really every class has a means for destroying vehicles; Engineers just excel at it) and opposing vehicles. As long as your team isn't utter shit vehicles rarely make-and-break a match while still providing a somewhat different (and enjoyable) method of attack. If you didn't notice I really enjoy the vehicle combat in BFBC2. Just sayin'.

I also forgot to mention that Battlefield heavily rewards teamwork. It's extremely rewarding to play in a squad with a few friends, and if you're good enough the 4 of you can turn the tide of victory in a lot of matches with solid teamwork and coordination (the class system rewards diversity as well - a Bradley tank crew with an Engineer on repair duty and coordinated side gunners will get a lot more accomplished than just hopping in a tank and rolling out, and a ground assault team with a medic is a nearly unstoppable force against uncoordinated teams).

That being said, at it's core it's still a FPS and will still inevitably get old as FPS games do. It's had the most longevity with me, being much more enjoyable long-term than COD4 and MW2.

Team Fortress 2 is another good one, although again it's an FPS. I play it because my friends enjoy it, although I personally am not a huge fan. Its appeal seems to come from the wide variety of classes and their highly individualized playstyles and roles. It is entertaining but for me the cartoonishness and small maps (all the ones my friends play seem very small anyhow) cause me to lose interest after an hour or so at a time.
Going out to play pool now with my fellow klan members. Have a nice night. - Midnyte
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Here is the problem....

I have a couple of friends that are supremely picky that I play online with way too often. We are in need of some new multi-player games that we can knock around with for extended periods of time. To say that it is tough to come up with a game that has extended play time on a console is an understatement. Over the last 4 years or so, the games that we have stayed with for extended periods of time were Rainbow 6 vegas with the terrorist hunt, Borderlands, and CoD 4. World at War and MW2 were colossal failures for us....as was Red Dead's multi-player.

I know there is great hope for Black Ops, but with the last 2 they put out we are not holding out hope that the mp will be a long term play. I can already rule out L4D-2 as it would get too repetitive quickly. There really is no specific genre (other than sports games) that I would see ruling out. Anyone?
Team Fortress?

Champions of Norrath: Return to Arms?

Dungeon Siege 3?
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Ha, I saw Kwon's name on the thread and I immediately thought he would be recommending Sacred 2.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Gonzoie - Luclin wrote:Monday Night Combat.
The videos of this game made it look fun. Not sure about the longevity of it though.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:
Gonzoie - Luclin wrote:Monday Night Combat.
The videos of this game made it look fun. Not sure about the longevity of it though.
Your opinion mean shit because this is game you actually have to buy.. which means you'll never play it.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Champions of Norrath
Castle Crashers

Especially Castle Crashers.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

WTF is champions of Norrath?

And maybe check out Lost Planet 2, comes out in a week, and the coop looks pretty decent. I have not looked at any prereviews for it, so it could absolutely suck, but the character customization, reward system, and huge battles make it look pretty awesome.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Lost Planet 2 has been out since Nam...

It is a pretty sweet game though, I'd give that one my highest recommendation. Co-op campaign and sexy multiplayer.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Funkmasterr wrote:Lost Planet 2 has been out since Nam...

It is a pretty sweet game though, I'd give that one my highest recommendation. Co-op campaign and sexy multiplayer.
Well, out for pc at least....I just happened to log into steam when it offered me 10% off on it (though i wasn't aware it had been out for consoles for awhile).

Also, have they ever played any DOTA like games? League of Legends is hella fun, and takes OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS of the retarded "skill" things in dota out (denying, knowing where you can hide in tree lines, etc), and it's free.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:Ha, I saw Kwon's name on the thread and I immediately thought he would be recommending Sacred 2.

That actually is what we ended up with! It is very similar to Diablo 2 and can support up to 4 people. Add in the $30 price and it looks to be a win.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Haha nice.
There was a period of like 2 months where everytime I saw Kwon online, he was playing it.

Let me know what you think of it.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

From what I have seen so far, if you like Diablo 2 you will like this. Same overhead view, mostly outdoors, 600 quests, level from 1-200, random loot drops and uniques, armor sets with bonuses, can be good or evil....it may be a really long time before I finish it.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Aardor wrote:WTF is champions of Norrath?
Really fun game for PS2. Completely addicting if played with friends.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Leonaerd wrote:
Aardor wrote:WTF is champions of Norrath?
Really fun game for PS2. Completely addicting if played with friends.
One of the best games ever made for the PS2.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

:)

Coincidentally, me and my friends who I'd play the game with (in high school) have been talking about starting up a new campaign. The LOOT! It was all so bountiful and unique! Let's see... If Everquest was my catholic girlfriend who maintains a DKP system to regulate love-making distribution (4 DKP for making dinner, 3 if I hadn't cooked in a while), Champions of Norrath was banging the slutty butterface on the side whenever I felt grinding for quality pussy just wasn't worth it.

:shock:

I mean to say, the feeling of getting loot in that game is amazing, though in the back of my mind I'd always miss the spotlight that EQ offered as part of a massively (though streamlined) multiplayer experience.

On topic, dust off the PS2 because there's a ton of content and you get to cheat on WoW with a filthy loot whore.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:Haha nice.
There was a period of like 2 months where everytime I saw Kwon online, he was playing it.

Let me know what you think of it.

In addition to the above, let me say if you like to kill just absolute hordes of shit....this is definitely the game. There does need to be some type of manual that spells out how to do everything, but I suppose you have access to a PC and can hit forums while on the Xbox like I do. One word of warning...there is no pause button. You are always live and will die if you go AFK while outside of a safe town.

One other pretty sweet aspect to the game is that you get a survivability bonus. The longer you stay alive, the better the chances at good loots dropping. This should be put into every game!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I bought Sacred 2 on release for 60$ and have put maybe 10 minutes into it. I really need to dig it out and give it another spin.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I was pretty happy to pay only $30! I really thought it was going to completely suck....but I like it. I can't wait to actually play it on multiplayer. Only thing I really dislike is the mounts. You can't use your combat arts from horseback. On the plus side you can dismount in a split second and your horse is not attackable by the mobs once you are off of it.

If you do fire it up, one thing you should remember is that you can only socket an item if it is NOT equipped. That may save you some aggravation.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:One word of warning...there is no pause button. You are always live and will die if you go AFK while outside of a safe town.
The 2 PSP games I mentioned (Phantasy Star, Monster Hunter) are the same.
There's been many times I would have loved a pause button or a safe spot to afk.
Getting afk killed when youre near the end of a mission is the biggest piss-off.

$30 is a good deal. I should see if I can find a copy at that price.
You playing on PC or 360?
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I am on the 360. The $30 price is a direct download on the Xbox marketplace...so I am pretty sure you can find that price. I see copies as low as $20 online with used copies.....not sure it is worth the hassle after shipping prices and such.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I think the reason I didn't play it was because I bought it strictly for co-op with my wife and it didn't really grab her. We played Titan Quest instead.

I think I'll put it in later this week and check it out again.