HDTVs

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: HDTVs

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: I messed around with some of the SMART stuff but overall I think I wont be using any of that. The web browser is fairly terrible on its own and downright painful when combined with the TV remote for navigation. I might use the Netflix app or something if I ever subscribe to that so I guess having the SMART capability doesn't hurt anything other that to add extra cost to the TV.
As long as the UI feels speedy you should be ok doing things directly from your TV. My TV is a little older and had a slower CPU which makes navigating the extra features/apps pretty pokey. I think your TV has a much faster CPU.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
Aslanna wrote: I messed around with some of the SMART stuff but overall I think I wont be using any of that. The web browser is fairly terrible on its own and downright painful when combined with the TV remote for navigation. I might use the Netflix app or something if I ever subscribe to that so I guess having the SMART capability doesn't hurt anything other that to add extra cost to the TV.
As long as the UI feels speedy you should be ok doing things directly from your TV. My TV is a little older and had a slower CPU which makes navigating the extra features/apps pretty pokey. I think your TV has a much faster CPU.
It's a quad-core so doesn't seem pokey. I just wasn't aware you could install other apps I thought it was limited to what came already installed on it. So basically I didn't do much research into that functionality I was more focused on picture quality and such. I should have then I wouldn't have had to go buy a Roku!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

While watching some programs I noticed a bit of light 'bleed' between the outer silver part and the black bezel in the lower right and left corners. It's not very noticeable unless you are looking. I was thinking of doing a return and having them deliver a new one but I didn't want to then end up with one that had dead pixels or something. Although for what it cost I would have expected something a little closer to perfection. However other than that small complaint I really have nothing bad to say about it at this time.

Samsung did send me a "regular" remote (free!) so I don't have to endure the hideous touch pad one.

I tried the 3D stuff once and it was just as I thought. Just a gimmick and I developed a headache fairly quickly. I don't see myself using that feature often. If at all.

I haven't turned on my Roku in 10 days or so since the Plex media center app has a version for Samsung TVs so that's actually one SMART feature I utilize.

Next up: AV receiver. Not sure there is a thread on that subject but was thinking of the Pioneer Elite SC-77. The SC-79 is nice but honestly I'm not sure it's worth the extra $1000 especially since most receivers will be obsolete in 5 years. If not sooner. HDBaseT.. I don't even know what that is!

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

When I see an extremely high priced receiver, I start looking for dumb fucking gimmics. The receiver you listed has a ton of them! The stand out is 9.2 surround. To this day, I don't think a single Blu Ray supports 7.2, much less 9.2. Pretty much all the other features can be had on a much cheaper unit.

The most important features for me are as many hdmi slots they can fit in the fucking thing (including 1 on the front if I can), airplay, 7.1, 3D compatible, and 4k for future proofing. If theree is an app for my iphone/ipad that can run it that is a bonus.

I can easily get all that in less than $1000 unit.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Obviously you can get cheaper. But you get what you pay for!

I'm a Pioneer Elite fan since my last one was one of those as well. No point switching now!

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

If you just want to spend money, get Bose!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I don't mind spending good money on a quality item. Which I think Pioneer is for the most part. I am not a Bose fan. At all. "No highs, no lows.. Must be Bose."

Can get the SC-77 for $1700 or so. That's not too pricey imo. I definitely wont be going for the SC-79 though. Just looking at the comparison chart I don't see the $1000 difference at least for my usage.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:I don't mind spending good money on a quality item. Which I think Pioneer is for the most part. I am not a Bose fan. At all. "No highs, no lows.. Must be Bose."

Can get the SC-77 for $1700 or so. That's not too pricey imo. I definitely wont be going for the SC-79 though. Just looking at the comparison chart I don't see the $1000 difference at least for my usage.
Anything above 1K seems excessive unless there's a specific reason to pay more or you have some seriously high end speakers (like $5,000+ speakers)

Pioneer is a solid receiver brand. I know they have an award winning receiver that's in the 899 range that is always recommended on the Audio/Video forums with lots of options and good performance.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

This Onkyo is pretty bad ass, and on sale right now!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JO ... d_i=507846

Hell, I'm considering getting it myself, but my Home Theater project is still a year or two away. Probably 2 because 2 weeks in Disney next summer is going to be expensive as fuck.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Anything above 1K seems excessive unless there's a specific reason to pay more or you have some seriously high end speakers (like $5,000+ speakers)

Pioneer is a solid receiver brand. I know they have an award winning receiver that's in the 899 range that is always recommended on the Audio/Video forums with lots of options and good performance.
You could say that about anything. I could have found a cheaper 60" TV but I'm fairly picky when it comes to things I don't purchase often. Pretty much have my mind set on the SC-77 so I haven't even been looking at others. I will not be swayed!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:Anything above 1K seems excessive unless there's a specific reason to pay more or you have some seriously high end speakers (like $5,000+ speakers)

You could say that about anything. I could have found a cheaper 60" TV but I'm fairly picky when it comes to things I don't purchase often. Pretty much have my mind set on the SC-77 so I haven't even been looking at others. I will not be swayed!
You can't say it about anything. I'm curious what features or capabilities the receiver has that warrant the price and what kind if speakers you're driving that would require something over 1K.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I will not be swayed!

For now I have http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/252/ . Those are old too.. Need an upgrade!
Paradigm's Studio/100 v.2 is most certainly a serious high-end contender, and a formidable one for just about any speaker in its price range and even well above. While the Studio/100 v.2 is forgiving of less-than-pristine electronics, it benefits from being combined with a topnotch digital source, electronics, and cables
topnotch!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

While the stuff is out of my price range, I know quite a few people that swear by pioneer elite stuff, even in some cases going out of their way to get elite products that aren't sold anymore used over something new.
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Aslanna wrote:I don't mind spending good money on a quality item. Which I think Pioneer is for the most part. I am not a Bose fan. At all. "No highs, no lows.. Must be Bose."

I spent 8 years selling high end AV gear.. I can tell you that Pioneer's elite brand is pretty decent gear.. I can also tell you that after abandoning the TV line Pioneer is probably not long for the consumer electronics world. Their TV's were the best, thier AV gear and DVD/Transport devices became second rate in the early 2000's.

Dollar for Dollar, Sound Quality and Features, I would only look to buy Denon or Yamaha for an AV Receiver.

I watching my Kuro 1080p plasma right now and I dont ever regret the purchase... But I wouldnt ever buy one of thier receivers, there are better things out there for the features/money.
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ransure wrote: Dollar for Dollar, Sound Quality and Features, I would only look to buy Denon or Yamaha for an AV Receiver.
I've used a Yamaha receiver for many years. I don't get all the fancy stuff people want. I used to have a separate amp/pre-am back when Carver was a good brand.

Nowadays, I don't see the benefit to spending a lot on a receiver. All it needs to do is have a solid amp and switch between sources.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

High-end Sony receiver if you can get a deal. My 4 year old 5400es is super rad.

Speakers? Glad you asked. Monitor Audio ftw. Sexy and awesome.
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Paradigm is where it's at. Yay Canadians!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Ransure wrote:I spent 8 years selling high end AV gear.. I can tell you that Pioneer's elite brand is pretty decent gear.. I can also tell you that after abandoning the TV line Pioneer is probably not long for the consumer electronics world. Their TV's were the best, thier AV gear and DVD/Transport devices became second rate in the early 2000's.

Dollar for Dollar, Sound Quality and Features, I would only look to buy Denon or Yamaha for an AV Receiver.

I watching my Kuro 1080p plasma right now and I dont ever regret the purchase... But I wouldnt ever buy one of thier receivers, there are better things out there for the features/money.
I haven't really read any reviews that have stated the Elite receivers have become "second rate". For example both of the Elites here got fairly good reviews. Not sure where the new line fits in though as that was published before the SC-7x ones came out. That USB DAC sounds nice too bad it's only in the top model at the moment.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Bought myself a 50" Insignia(Best Buy house brand) 1080p LED panel yesterday.

http://www.insigniaproducts.com/product ... SNA14.html

It's a really good looking, no frills panel that performs well and gives out a great image.

Frankly I wanted something better what my 7 year old, 37", 720p Sharp LCD panel and this one fit the bill at a price I could afford.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Animalor wrote:Bought myself a 50" Insignia(Best Buy house brand) 1080p LED panel yesterday.

http://www.insigniaproducts.com/product ... SNA14.html

It's a really good looking, no frills panel that performs well and gives out a great image.

Frankly I wanted something better what my 7 year old, 37", 720p Sharp LCD panel and this one fit the bill at a price I could afford.
Sounds like a nice (and needed!) upgrade. The last several times I've upgraded my TV I wanted to run various media on it all over again just to see the upgrade first hand. A new TV makes all your media new again!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

My wife and I watched a netflix movie last night, I played all by Xbox One games for a bit (OMG Forza and Ryse). I'm going to be putting in a Blu Ray shortly to see that as well.

I did not expect this much of a visual/clarity improvement for gaming. Getting so much more details just playing something like Rayman Legends with it too.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Animalor wrote:I did not expect this much of a visual/clarity improvement for gaming. Getting so much more details just playing something like Rayman Legends with it too.
Dude, you are really setting yourself up for an Xbox One vs PS4 joke here!
[Show]
Seriously, the difference between 3rd party games is just as noticeable as what you are describing!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I bought a new tv recently, too. I went from a 40" lcd to a 60" sharp led. I was surprised on how much I picked up on that I hadn't noticed before too. Even in something as simple as s the menus of battlefield.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

How soon before you beat it with a hammer?
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Spang wrote:How soon before you beat it with a hammer?
How soon before you start your next crusade? Multiply that by 13 and divide by two.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Grrrrr! Its not an LED screen! its still LCD, LED backlit.

But hey, I'm nitpicking :) Enjoy your new TV's. I like those sharp screens. They are really nice for the money. My friends from 3 years ago ghosts a bit more than I like when gaming, but for $1500 at the time for a screen that large, its not worth complaining about.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Kluden wrote:Grrrrr! Its not an LED screen! its still LCD, LED backlit.
To be fair.. They are being marketed as 'LED TVs' so can't really blame the consumer. For example a link to the one I bought doesn't state LCD anywhere.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm assuming all new LCD/LED tvs are edgelit LEDS these days.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Spang wrote:How soon before you beat it with a hammer?
How soon before you start your next crusade? Multiply that by 13 and divide by two.
How soon before I participate in another discussion? Just now.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Winnow wrote:I'm assuming all new LCD/LED tvs are edgelit LEDS these days.
Sadly, most are. BUT...any high end from a real maker (not the super big models, mind you, like <75" TV's) should all be full array this year, if not last year, depending on maker.

In fact, I think ALL of vizio's TV's this year (2014 model) are full array/local dimming. From shit walmart model (e series) to the nice ones (S or P series?)...full array LED. You just get more dimming zones with the higher end models. Their 4k TV is probably going to be a huge deal, since it will be cheaper to own :)

And yes, I'm not mad at the consumer, its just a fkn shame the manufacturers pull this shit, and are allowed to false advertise.

Its not just LED/LCD tv's either, plasma is dying anyways, but its still my favorite. To compete with LCD's, when I bought mine, it was all the rage for the plasma manufacturers to put "600 Hz" on the box as many times as possible. This is of course a fkn lie, the screen does not refresh any faster than 60hz. There just happens to be a substrate layer to the screen that does operate/refresh at 600hz...so apparently that makes the TV a 600hz TV.

I just noticed samsung has your TV listed at 1200 hz. :) these people are amazing.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah mine is edge lit. I thought about holding out for a full array TV, but for $1400 I got a damn nice TV, couldn't pass it up.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Also, to be clear, I hate the current iterations of full array on the market. They halo way too much, and black is gray, etc. I'm sure that's been the delay in offering full array. Somehow, the manufacturers feel they finally figured out how to get all the zoning correct to give it another go...but the first full arrays were shit, IMO, and most informed folks looked for the nice edge lit ones due to the better picture quality.

So you didn't buy anything bad, in fact, those sharp TV's are great. Which one did you end up getting?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

this is the one I have

I really like it. I exchanged it once cause I was getting a little flashlighting in the lower right corner, but this one has it again. Thing is, I only notice it when the entire screen is completely black, so it's a non issue. Other than that is a great Tv, I'm happy with my choice.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Funkmasterr wrote:this is the one I have

I really like it. I exchanged it once cause I was getting a little flashlighting in the lower right corner, but this one has it again. Thing is, I only notice it when the entire screen is completely black, so it's a non issue. Other than that is a great Tv, I'm happy with my choice.
And I have the Sharp-Aquos 70" LED LCD 240hz 3D! I love this TV. I will only replace it with a 4 or 8k set in the future, and I'll move this upstairs to my living room over the fireplace.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I know its gimmicky, but how's the 3D movies and gaming on those sharps? That I have not had a chance to witness on the aquos sets. I really like the 3D gaming on my plasma. I don't care much about 3D movies, but they look cool too. Problem with my set is the glasses are the battery powered ones.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I haven't used it for gaming yet, but I've watched A few movies in 3D and it looked pretty impressive.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

3D at home is much more impressive than at the theater IMO. Just how much more impressive depends on the source material, just like all things. Movies and games that were conceived and created from the ground up as a 3D experience will put other media to shame. However, even tacked on 3D has it's place in certain movies and games.

I really enjoy 3D. Take a movie like The Avengers, which I have watched well over a dizen times, and just by watching the 3D version it's like seeing it again for the first time. (FYI, Avengers is post converted). I like the fact that in order to watch a 3D movie, it is a dedicated experience. You can't surf your phone, do laundry, or anything like that.

The ability to play games in 3D also changes things considerably. I had CoD Blops2 for ages, but playing it in 3D online was like playing a different game.

Suggestions-

Movies:
Life of Pi
Gravity
Prometheus
Any animated film, including stop animation titles like Coraline/Paranorman

Games:
Puppeteer
Super Stardust HD
Motorstorm Apocalypse
Wipeout HD

There are tons of games that support 3D. For instance, virtually all the HD remake collections that came out for the PS3/360 support it.

I don't tend to game in 3D unless it's in short bursts, specific games, or if I want to change up the experience of an existing or older game I may have beaten or played to death already.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

3D = fad! Plus it is exclusionary to people who wear glasses. Stop the discrimination!

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:3D = fad! Plus it is exclusionary to people who wear glasses. Stop the discrimination!
I wear glasses.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Aslanna wrote:3D = fad! Plus it is exclusionary to people who wear glasses. Stop the discrimination!
I wear glasses.
So you put 3D glasses over regular glasses? I tried that and found it less than ideal. Then I put in contacts and got a headache. 3D sucks!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

3D sucks on TVs. It's a total fad in its current form. No way worth the headache. Maybe one day they'll have decent 3D but it's crap right now. Every once in awhile someone will post a 3D photo and I'll put on my lame active 3D glasses to check it out but it's something I could easily do without and ends up being more of a waste of time switching to 3D mode, activating lame glasses, and enjoying the headache inducing strobe/dimming effect on all other monitors not in 3D mode.

Samsung higher end LED TVs are great and also look great besides the picture quality (small bezels). The rest of the manufacturers are catching on with the thin bezels but Samsung started it. Funny how people think I have brand loyalty. It all depends on what's best. I'm all over the board when it comes to what I buy and like. Apple, Microsoft, Samsung and even Sony. Whatever's best in the product category I need something for, I'll get. I also don't fault for past screw ups if I feel a company has learned from their mistakes. I had to open my first Samsung LCD TV twice to replace faulty capacitors which Samsung finally acknowledged and extended warranties but that didn't stop me from buying another Samsung TV.

Back on topic. 3D sucks. I wrote my last few posts while on Vicodin. Weeee! Root canal and two crowns. Booyah! I can't be held responsible for anything I've typed unless I mentioned anything to do with console controllers which is all true.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Spend less time sucking that MS cock and more time brushing your teeth!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Spend less time sucking that MS cock and more time brushing your teeth!
Damage done 30 years ago. Too late for that although Microsoft cock > Sony cock. More fluoride in the water in the U.S.

Less than 1% of Japan practices water fluoridation

Semen can whiten your teeth so I'm sure you have some pearly whites!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Honestly it's not even me ssying 3D is a fad. The TV manufacturers are saying it as well since many new models don't even have 3D. It's just not a system seller! Now if you happen to like it that's great. But as something that's accepted by a large audience... It's just not.

--
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Go back to text mode!
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

it was a side feature on my tv, and I love it. but I also don't use it too much. Never will because sometimes I'm just too lazy with charging the stupid glasses.

All the top models seem to include it for sure anymore. One reason I bring it up, is that full array LED lighting will improve it on home TV...so its bound to get better.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

So Samsung sent me an offer for a 3 year extended warranty for $475. Seems pricey! Just wondering what people think about things like that. The last new TV I bought was in 2000 and was a big ole CRT so not sure the general lifespan (or repair cost) of LCDs and such these days.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I had to fix my first Samsung LCD TV twice due to faulty capacitors. Eventually I could have gotten some money from a class action lawsuit or something because so many Samsung LCD TVs stopped working due to cheap ass capacitors they used. (thread with all the details posted in this forum somewhere)

I'm assuming they learned their lesson from that.

Samsung makes great displays but they seem to be in a rush to try and match every other company out there when it comes to products that they might not quality control test all the parts to their bazillion product lines.

Even so, I'd say skip it. If your TV breaks in a year or two, 475 is what you will pay for the same quality TV you paid a lot more for originally. LCD TVs keep dropping in price with no bottom in sight. By then it will be 4K time anyway.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:So Samsung sent me an offer for a 3 year extended warranty for $475. Seems pricey! Just wondering what people think about things like that. The last new TV I bought was in 2000 and was a big ole CRT so not sure the general lifespan (or repair cost) of LCDs and such these days.
Warrantys/insurance are the biggest profit margins for many companies for a reason. Skip that shit. $475? Fuck, that's 1/2 the cash for a new set right there. Also, I have never experienced a situation where using a warranty wasn't a huge pain in the ass. You have to fight tooth an nail with a faceless enemy only to find out your warranty has limitations you were unaware of.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I buy warranties on expensive electronics if I buy them on Amazon or from Best Buy. I've had to use them quite frequently and I've never had issues with either of them - simple no questions asked process. They're also pretty reasonable for prices on them, I think the most I've ever payed for a warranty was less than half what they're asking you for.