Final Fantasy XIV

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Final Fantasy XIV

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:
masteen wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why they took the clunky UI from FFXI and made it MORE cumbersome and LESS responsive. Is it some sort of misguided attempt to even the playing field between console and PC?

Also, the current disparity in exp gains between casters vs. melee in small groups is fairly lulzy. I cannot understand that in a game allegedly aimed at small group/solo content, they would use a exp system based almost purely on quantity of hits per fight, and then have wildly different hit tables and attack speeds between all classes.
Server latency has a lot to do with those issues.
Yep. At least the servers aren't constantly down like some other MMO's I remember playing at launch :) Using a gamepad I don't have any issue with interface lag, but during peak times server latency may cause some slight delayed reactions and slight jerky movement. It hasn't been anything that's hindered my ability to enjoy the game.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Spell casting during peak times with high latency is pretty bad.
I've had spells with 2-3 second cast time take around 10 seconds.
It's nowhere near that bad now, but it can still be frustrating.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:Yep. At least the servers aren't constantly down like some other MMO's I remember playing at launch
Probably because a lot of people bailed during the beta so there isn't much server congestion taking place. Just one theory!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Haha, what an awful review.
The reviewer is more obsessive than Winnow.
creating an account... is a convoluted mess
bizarre and unfriendly method of getting an account set up
the confusing process of opening an account
You gotta be bordering on the verge of mental retardation if you're having that much trouble setting up an account for the game.

He also spends about half of the review compaining about the interface. :lol:

I think anyone who goes into the game expecting a dumbed down, newbie friendly MMO experience like WOW or even EQ2 is going to disappointed. The target audience of the game is not the lowest common denominator...
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah I think from the point of starting account creation, to adding three characters, to be logged in was so terrible that it took me like 3 minutes, tops.

And the UI is just fine. Minimalistic without having to have 500 add ons clogging up your screen that allow you to turn on auto pilot and sit back and watch.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Face it FFXIV supporters. There's plenty more negative reviews were that came from.

He's dead on regarding the account creation. It's not like you can't figure it out but it's way more convoluted than your typical registration process. I doubt anything changed from the beta to final in this area.

The pain in the ass account creation/code registration goes hand in hand with the horrible interface for the game and complaints about many typically easy basic functions being made harder by poor design. I'm not talking about that awesome harvesting system that makes your down time so great or something else that's challenging, just standard shit that makes you go though layers of UI to execute the command.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The account management system would only confuse a fucking retard. :roll:

1) Create account
2) Register your game code
3) Go to services, select payment method and character slots
4) Play game

UI complaints are really only valid for someone who is brand new to the game. After a dozen or so hours, it's just as intutive as any MMO UI. Once you get comfortable with it, anything you need is just a few button clicks away.
A quick google search will show you how to set up macros for virtually anything from basic functions to complex battle actions. Changing my gear setup from combat to harvesting to crafting is one single macro click.

Even for simpleton MMOs like WOW, setting up and customizing your UI can take hours of fiddling.

What it comes down to is that you only played the game for about an hour in open beta so you have no fucking clue about these things.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I've played tons of MMOs and FFXIV's UI blows ass. Simple as that.

As for the registration process. It does suck. The only thing worse would be the Aion Chinese beta app that you also completed where you can't understand a god damned thing and hope you're clicking the right buttons.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:I've played tons of MMOs and FFXIV's UI blows ass. Simple as that.
You might have some credibility, if you had actually played the game for more than an hour.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
Winnow wrote:I've played tons of MMOs and FFXIV's UI blows ass. Simple as that.
You might have some credibility, if you had actually played the game for more than an hour.
I did play for more than an hour, along with a friend so played around with the friend/grouping system as well (which also sucked)

Seriously, I've played other foreign MMOs with absolutely no translation on the UI or text that were more fun to play and understand what was going on.

Keep in mind, I was looking forward to FFXIV and planned to play it a few months before the quality 2011 MMOs were released so I had a hopeful/positive outlook to begin with.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

WOW Sign-up process:

Registration: LOL hi r U want is registar!? Click on $ for do that. Yay!
Player: Lol hi! Yess! I make grup so i leader and get furst pick of loltz! Yay!
en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:I did play for more than an hour, along with a friend so played around with the friend/grouping system as well (which also sucked)
You expect people to believe that you actually have a friend?
If you're going to bullshit, at least make it somewhat believeable.

I concede that you may have played the game for more than an hour.. perhaps 2, maybe 3.
That would get you through the opening cutscenes and out into the newbie camp.
Keep in mind, I was looking forward to FFXIV and planned to play it a few months before the quality 2011 MMOs were released so I had a hopeful/positive outlook to begin with.
Yea, you were looking forward to it just like how you don't like apple... eventhough you have an imac, an iphone, ipad and a macbook.

The fact remains that you don't actually play FFXIV and you're just making yourself look like a GIGANTIC FUCKING IDIOT with your childish crusade against Final Fantasy. :lol:
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

FFXIV blows!

There's no need to be an expert on a game to understand the basics of the game are flawed. My time is valuable. I'm not going to play a bad game just to see if there's some amazing harvesting mechanics going on that give you a golden hoe at level 100.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

So you've made 15 posts in this thread... a thread about a game that you don't even play.

Get a life you fucking child.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I take it you plowed your way all the way to the golden hoe already?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Someone with more powarz than myself really needs to tell Winnow to tone it down. In this thread alone he has annoyed and degenerated my "vv experience" more than searyx and cartalas could have done if they had gay love children, got drunk, got the shit beat out of them by one of the board members, had one of their children raped by winnow when he was on acid and mistook them for a Japanese anime girl come to life, had their house burned down with all of their parents alive in it, THEN came to the board and started posting excessively as one big, gay, recently molested, angry/depressed/emo family.

Seriously.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If I stop posting relevant information regarding the game or responding to insults, let me know!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

What ever happened to "this is VV?" Do these new "rules" only apply in this forum, or only on certain threads?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Boogahz wrote:What ever happened to "this is VV?" Do these new "rules" only apply in this forum, or only on certain threads?
Funk is apparently having too much of a good time being drama queen supreme.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:What ever happened to "this is VV?" Do these new "rules" only apply in this forum, or only on certain threads?
I never said anything about rules, but we literally can't carry on a valid conversation about this game at this point. How can you not see how that would be frustrating?

And Winnow, I'm pretty sure the last time you posted a valid complaint about the game was mid way on the first page of the thread.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

In the first post, Funk politely asked that the faggorty stay in the other FFXIV thread and have this one to actually discuss the game.
But Winnow decided that his hatred of a game he doesn't play could not be contained in a single thread.

So how exactly does that make Funk a drama queen?