George Steinbrenner III

What do you think about the sports world?
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

George Steinbrenner III

Post by Soreali »

July 4, 1930 - July 13, 2010
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

Love or hate the Yankees, he's a big reason baseball has gotten as big as it has today and was a great owner.
Timmah.

Jarori Bloodletter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Re: George Steinbrenner III

Post by Jarori Bloodletter »

He did OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS for his players and the game.. Yes he was vocal.. But hell he will be missed.
Eq1
Jarori Bloodletter (retired)
Emgug 85 Cleric
Fugara 85 Shaman
Jardoeni 85 Beastlord
Taison Earbiter
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Taison Earbiter »

He's one of those larger than life sports figures. He is the reason for the state of modern baseball, for better or worse.

Let's be honest, the first 20 years he owned the Yankees he was pretty much universally considered an asshole by everyone, including Yankee fans. They applauded the announcement of his suspension from day-to-day operations of the organization after what he did to Dave Winfield. Though he did seem to mellow out a bit after they eventually reinstated him later on.

I'm not saying you should kick the guy after he died, but no reason to pretend he was liked for his winning personality or good nature. :)
"The secret of being boring is to say everything."
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Because I pretty much stopped following MLB in the mid 90s, my only real recollection of Steinbrenner is that he was a bit of a douchebag.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Taison Earbiter wrote:He's one of those larger than life sports figures. He is the reason for the state of modern baseball, for better or worse.

Let's be honest, the first 20 years he owned the Yankees he was pretty much universally considered an asshole by everyone, including Yankee fans. They applauded the announcement of his suspension from day-to-day operations of the organization after what he did to Dave Winfield. Though he did seem to mellow out a bit after they eventually reinstated him later on.

I'm not saying you should kick the guy after he died, but no reason to pretend he was liked for his winning personality or good nature. :)
See unfortunately all of the good work he's done throughout his life goes unnoticed because he made it a point not to let it get out in the open.. He was actually an amazingly generous individual. I've been listening to stories about him since he died yesterday about all the random acts of kindness he performed for people he didn't even know.. So yes, when it came to his team, he expected perfection and had some rather ridiculous demands of his players.. But he definitely wasn't the person the media portrayed him to be.
Timmah.

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I remember him from Seinfeld.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Winnow wrote:I remember him from Seinfeld.
:lol: me too! No idea who he is other than from that show.