Cookware

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Aevian Dreaklear
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: Bisky Campst

Cookware

Post by Aevian Dreaklear »

I've recently moved into my own place and have started furnishing it. This will be the first time I've lived by myself since my college days. Back then as you can guess I was a poor college student and bought the cheapest stuff to furnish my place. I currently have a decent paying job and have been furnishing my place accordingly. The next thing on my list to buy is cookware. I'm not remotely close to being a good chef, although cooking is something I have been interested in. I've seen a wide range of prices when it comes to cookware and was looking for suggestions on what to buy. I've seen small sets for $40 and then sets in the hundreds without any real discernible difference. What I'm looking for is any suggestions on what to buy or certain things to look for. I do want some quality, but value is more important to me at this point. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Cookware

Post by Hesten »

I love my my OBH Nordica - Supreme Steel 3 liter casserole and 1½ liter saucepan, and want a sautee pan too.

http://www.obhnordicausa.com/Default.aspx?ID=825
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Not as hoity toity as what many have, but a set of copper bottom Revere Ware works well, cleans up easy and lasts just about forever.

Some olive or canola oil + some practice makes it (mostly) non-stick.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Jarori Bloodletter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Jarori Bloodletter »

I went out and got me some new cookware at JC Penny.. called JC Cooks.. Its a set of 12 pieces.. good stuff , heavy, well made, only cost me $300.00. Add them and the new stove I got from Sears (Kenmore Ceramic top W/ Turbo Boil.. Damn What a difference in time it now takes to cook stuffs heh.
Eq1
Jarori Bloodletter (retired)
Emgug 85 Cleric
Fugara 85 Shaman
Jardoeni 85 Beastlord
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

you basically have to start with what material you want your cookware made from, and what surface. From there, just buy a nice, heavy, reputable brand. Shop at Kohl's...get shit on sale. Or do what I do, and hit up the hoity toity stores, and buy one peice at a time until you find a brand/surface/material you really like...keep the clearance rack during this time :)
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Yeah....

I'm going to be THAT GUY and take the contrary opinion and say don't waste a boatload of money on shit to cook with.

I've had good stuff and crap stuff and the stuff from Meijer lasts just about as long and works equally as well. It's not like you're buying a set of auto mechanic tools and have to decide between buying crap and Craftsman.

You're sauteing and making Lasagna.

Seriously...
- Ash
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I use cheap stuff, but that is because kitchen items are still rather low on my list of things to purchase.

That said, I prefer quality cookware as heat distribution/retention will generally be superior. That said, you can go a long way without spending an assload if you do your research and shop around.

PS: Ash washes his paper plates and cooks in tin cans. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Get yourself a cast iron skillet and learn how to season it. It will last longer than your grandchildren and will only improve with age. Lodge makes good ones that are pre-seasoned, but you can probably buy one for ~5 bucks at your local goodwill. Just clean off any rust and reseason it.

A cheap non stick-pan for frying up eggs and potatos, everything else goes in the cast iron.

A dutch oven is a great thing to have as well for stews & casseroles. Tons of brands here.

Get a saucepan and one or two pots for boiling / steaming stuff, maybe a large 8-10 qt stockpot if you like soups and making your own stock.

Brands? Well, All-Clad is good but pricey unless you can find it on sale. Bourgeat is even pricier but is awesome and is often available on clearance from restaurant supply places.

It also depends a lot on what surface you're cooking on. Ceramic / electric you'll need pots and pans that don't warp or you can get an even heat distribution. On gas, a little wobble won't hurt you so you can just get the cheapo non-stick pan and replace it when it gets too shitty after a few years.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I got this Circulon Premier Professional set for Christmas a couple years ago, and it has worked well for me. It's very non-stick and dishwasher safe, which are two things I was interested in. I think you can find it cheaper if you shop around, or wait for it to go on sale, just linking to Amazon because I'm not sure where mine was purchased.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

I use Cuisinart Stainless set. It is stainless, but has a copper bottom to give better heat distribution.
Got it as a gift, and couldn't be happier with it.
Have seen it at Kohls in 199$ range for a 14 piece set.

14 pc set
Sabek
Just Sabek
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Cast iron skillet.

Get it. Love it. It will make you happy.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG