Music/concert reviews and discussion

Moderators: Drolgin Steingrinder, Truant

miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Re: Top 40 Singles July 2010

Post by miir »

I actually really like Rihanna, she has a good voice...
She actually does have a decent voice but you wouldn't know it from most of her songs.
Her producers are some of the worst offenders when it comes to overuse of the monotone, robot-yodel, auto-tune style.

When I first heard that Eminem track, I did a double-take when I saw that it was her singing.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:
I actually really like Rihanna, she has a good voice...
She actually does have a decent voice but you wouldn't know it from most of her songs.
Her producers are some of the worst offenders when it comes to overuse of the monotone, robot-yodel, auto-tune style.

When I first heard that Eminem track, I did a double-take when I saw that it was her singing.
Yeah I guess I can see that. I am not at all ashamed to admit that I never go too many days without listening to Umberella.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Hearing Rihanna's songs make me want to shove something in my ears until they bleed. The Eminem song wasn't as bad, so maybe it is because of her producers/studio.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Boogahz wrote: maybe it is because of her producers/studio.
It's mostly her management and record company.
They have a multi-million dollar product they need to sell so the producers are pressured to compress the living shit out of her vocal tracks and make judicious use of auto-tune so that the product is easily recognizable.

Her live vocals sound excellent.
Her studio vocals... not so much.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

She sang Disturbia live on some MTV show a couple of years ago and I thought she sounded great. I can't name another one of her songs though, but I hear she's pretty popular!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I've been listening to an "all 80s" internet radio station for a few weeks now.. Digging it greatly!

Not that these songs are like.. The best ever.. But I think it' s more about a feeling and memories. My formative years were the 80s so maybe that's why I identify with even some of the bad songs. They represent a specific moment of time and they make me feel something. And that's what art is all about.

Other genres, like rap, don't make me feel anything other than a desire to turn it off. That doesn't make me racist!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:I've been listening to an "all 80s" internet radio station for a few weeks now.. Digging it greatly!

Not that these songs are like.. The best ever.. But I think it' s more about a feeling and memories. My formative years were the 80s so maybe that's why I identify with even some of the bad songs. They represent a specific moment of time and they make me feel something. And that's what art is all about.

Other genres, like rap, don't make me feel anything other than a desire to turn it off. That doesn't make me racist!

Yeah, a lot has to do with when you were in high school/college...or when in your late teens and 20's.

I listen to 80's music a ton because of that but Sirius radio and some other methods that give you music by decade are great for all generations. I can say I've listened to 60's, 70s a little...80's channel a ton, and sometimes 90's but that usually would be broken down by genre. Can't say I've ever selected the 00's channel.

I still think 60s,70s,80's and some 90's > 00's,10's music in general

What some 80's music lacked in talent was made up for in style. You could still understand the lyrics back then before they became mumbled and autotuned later on. MTV's heyday was in the 80's and 90's. Back then (along with VH1) music channels were actually all music videos instead of reality TV and kids/teens/20's watched the shit out of it.

I don't have a clue what current music is out there. As you get older, you listen to more news/talk and then search for the "oldies" when you want to listen to music...that's another reason that your teens, 20's and early 30's are the prime years for developing your music tastes.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I think even back in the 80's we knew what was coming!
They took the credit for your second symphony
re-written by machine and new technology
and now I understand the problems you can see

Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star

First music video ever played on MTV

Trivia:

April Wine - Just Between You And Me

14th video played and first by a Canadian Artist.

(although REO Speed Wagon #9 Video may not count since ended after a few seconds due to technical difficulties so it may be the 13th "full" video)

..and it's a good thing The Cars were in the first 100 videos played at #98 with "Lets Go" because they were the poster child for MTV music videos.

The Cars - Lets Go

Ironically a VH1 recording! Great great lyrics/song. Not so great video. Another great Cars song:

The Cars - Heartbeat City

Stupendous! Best chill out song next to David Lee Roth's Coconut Grove (1985). Put you headphones on, crank it up, and zone.

Love 80's music.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

BTW, slightly relevant to this thread... Rolling Stone recently declared 1984 as Pop's Greatest Year. I must say there's a lot of good songs on that list!

1980's.. The best decade ever!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Or, you know, the worst, by a wide margin. But everyone's entitled to their opinion. Except winnow.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The worst? Inconceivable!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'd rearrange the ranking of those top 100 songs but overall, it blows away anything in the past few auto-tuned decades. If only I could go back and buy Microsoft Stock while listing to those songs!

1984 was a great year. I saw Van Halen in concert that year during their...1984 tour!

Another reason 1984 was great? Check this list of top movies from 1984:

The Terminator (original one)
Footloose
Ghostbusters
Gremlins
Karate Kid (underrated classic!)
NeverEnding Story
Dune
One Upon a Time in America
Sixteen Candles
Nightmare on Elm Street (original one)
Red Dawn
Indiana Jones (and the Temple of Doom)
Beverly Hills Cop (original one)
Police Academy (original one)
Romancing the Stone (saw it in theater with my granddad, WWII vet, RIP)
Revenge of the Nerds (original one)
Purple Rain
Star Trek III: Search for Spock
Children of the Corn
The Killing Fields
The Last Starfighter
Against all Odds
Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai
Starman
Streets on Fire

I believe that's in top grossing order. It was definitely a great year to be a teen with that set of movies.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:Congrats for listening to the same music for 20+ years.
30+ years now. Fuck you if you can't recognize great music. No wonder you fled this board with your tail between your legs!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Miir is cool. That energy is better focused on your buddy winnow.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:Miir is cool. That energy is better focused on your buddy winnow.

from a previous post in this thread:
Chidoro wrote:or you can just lighten up. After 11 years of everyone's nonsense here, you still get riled up?
15 years now!

Blind hate is never a good thing. Need to learn to compartmentalize hate. 99+ percent of the members of this board failed that test. Congrats on being one of the sole survivors!

Jesus Christ. I just looked at that movie list a few posts above from 1984. That is a fucking amazing list of movies for a teen in 1984. Seriously. I don't think you could come up with a better year for movies (for teens/young adults).

As for the thread topic. It's 2017 and who is in the news? Prince! ...because he rocked our socks off in the 80's (and a little in the 90's but his best stuff was in the 80's). you'll also notice Prince's Purple Rain movie on the 1984 list above. Imagine that!

I really don't know much about music. I enjoy listening to it. I don't study it. Miir seemed to like the emo stuff and get into the weird groups with goofy instruments over great lyrics played to drums, guitars and some keyboard. That's cool and edgy but the topic was Top 40.

I did take a music appreciation class in college for an easy elective so I know a little about the classics. For the sake of this thread, I wish I could say it was in 1984 but it was in either 1985 or 1986!

In reflection, for me why the 80's were great:

The 70's sucked...really really sucked in general. "The 70's never happened" was actually a saying. I was in Europe for more than half of the decade and by the time Star Wars came out, I was living in California, back when California was still cool and less of a concrete jungle, with strawberry fields and orange groves still scattered around Southern California cities. I survived the 70's because I was young and didn't realize how much they sucked. As the 80's cranked up though, it was like an awakening for the country. Reagan got our shit back in order and we started kicking ass on our way to becoming the Unipower of the world. (think Iran Hostage crisis ending, US Hockey team beating the Russians...1980 kick started that) Soon after for me, computers arrived in 1982 and changed my life. Junior High, High School and College...all in the 80's. The 90's were still ok but had ups and downs. 2000+ are split. Awesome for technology/information access but pretty crappy for everything else save for a few people.

2020+ could be awesome or suck really bad pending world events. I still feel that my generation will be the last to miss out on longevity due to incredible advances in science. If no devastating world wars break out, anyone in their 30's or younger will live a long long time one way or another. (reverse/stop aging process, cloning, etc) I'll save this for another thread, but the ability to read minds looks like it might actually happen which is fucking scary. It could be a case where you can live a much longer life but your privacy would be zero, including your thoughts. Don't laugh. Facebook (and Google) already have projects that can determine what word you're thinking of. Oppression comes in many forms but so far, no matter what, your thoughts were your own.

Auto-tune is so lame.