The Walking Dead

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: The Walking Dead

Post by Winnow »

Watched season 1, 2 and the first two episodes of season 3 over the past few days.

I thought Shane was a interesting character and overall, I thought the mix of people in the main group of survivors was interesting (for the first two seasons). Th first two seasons were more about the drama while season three seems to be more action oriented.

I blow a lot of stuff off in order to enjoy the show but the blood spattering everywhere makes me wonder why most of the group hasn't turned zombie yet. They have to get that shit in their mouths. There's no hygiene and there is zombie blood splattering all over the place. Even the simplest of cuts/scrapes would get them. In the first few episodes, they are careful not to get any of the blood on themselves and then all the sudden there's blood everywhere.
Bubba Grizz wrote:The only character that is really annoying me is the wife of the cop. She gives me the same vibe as that chick Clint Eastwood used to run with in a lot of his movies, Sondra Locke. Ewwwww.

Ha! No one is as annoying as that Clint Eastwood lady was back in the day.

The kid (Rick's son) kind of annoys me the most. He does some stupid stuff. Losing the old guy (Dale) kind of hurts as there's no one to dish out the morality speeches. He always had a dumb look on his face though.

While season three's action has been great, I think the this season has lost of a lot of the drama as Shane used to provide a ton of that and now even the hillbilly guy is pretty normal. I think if they meet up with this character things will get better:

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

They've stated they are all already infected, and will turn when they die. But that doesn't really make sense due to people still turning if they get bit.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Its a bit weak, but I think their intention was to have people die quicker if they are bitten. Or like almost positively dead and soon. But yeah, that may be a hole they dug themselves into, story-wise.
en kærlighed småkager
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

I just got into this show. Bought season 1 and 2 a little over a week ago, and I am completely caught up now.

The biting \ scratching makes some sense. The high fever and death after a bite or scratch could just be related to the incredibly high amount of bacteria accumulated in the rotting flesh and ripping and eating raw meat. Kinda like a komodo dragon. Even though they do have somewhat venomous bites, the main reason you will likely die if one bites you is because they have insane amounts of dangerous bacteria in their mouths. It is enough to overwhelm very hardcore antibiotics most of the time.

That would explain why they do not necessarily get horribly sick and die just from getting a little blood or gore in cuts. As long as it did not come from the mouth or nails, it would not have as much bacteria.

Still, they should get a lot more infections than they do. T-dog got a pretty nasty one when he cut his arm open and then had a walker lying on top of him, but that should have happened with or without a walker. Maybe they are taking antibiotics every time they get a cut? They have ran across enough medicine through the show. They are always looking for more antibiotics. Maybe it isn't just for severe injuries, but for smaller ones too.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I just think it's funny that in the CDC Labs, even a slight cut in the enviromental protection suit triggers a complete washdown and destruction of the zombie sample while the survivors are busy splatting themselves with zombie brains...and I would suspect that mouth saliva is part of what they splatter as they are up close and personal, destroying zombie brains with knives, axes, rod iron, bats, etc. They completely smash the heads (that includes the mouths). Even after fights, I've seen one survivor bury their face in another survivors zombie blood soaked shirt. Those zombies drool all overthemselves as well so the bacteria would be more widespread.

It's not a big deal but just interesting. Shane sure zombified quick. It took him just a couple minutes to be up and walking around. Maybe the more evil you are, the quicker you turn.

You might be right about bites not causing zombification as you need to die before you become one. You don't turn into one or show zombie simptoms of wanting to eat flesh, except for the zombie eating flashes some people see after being bitten, until you actually die.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Some interesting developments in S03E03.

Kwon should be happy!
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Yeah, interesting episode lastnight. zero prison scenes. Thought they would tease a bit of something from them.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Kluden wrote:Yeah, interesting episode lastnight. zero prison scenes. Thought they would tease a bit of something from them.
I know...it was strange. I kept expecting to see SOMETHING about them.

Judging from the previews for next week, it will go to jumping back and forth then.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

So, um, last night happened.
[Show]
LORI IS DEAD!!!!

I also love the black guy quota the group has. Oscar slides seamlessly in to T-Dawgs spot.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Zamtuk wrote:So, um, last night happened.
[Show]
LORI IS DEAD!!!!

I also love the black guy quota the group has. Oscar slides seamlessly in to T-Dawgs spot.
[Show]
I worry though because they didn't actually show her getting shot in the head. This is the kind of loophole bullshit that they can use later to justify a return. But damn was I glad the son was the one who pulled the trigger.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Bubba Grizz wrote:
Zamtuk wrote:So, um, last night happened.
[Show]
LORI IS DEAD!!!!

[Show]
I worry though because they didn't actually show her getting shot in the head. This is the kind of loophole bullshit that they can use later to justify a return. But damn was I glad the son was the one who pulled the trigger.
[Show]
She is going to come back as the zombie queen
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

[Show]
I think Carl ended her, but if Lori becomes a Z, at least she won't talk anymore.

...and just when T-Dawg started to have a role...
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

[Show]
holy fucking sad episode, batman.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Season 3, Episode 4 played out like a season finale for any other show on television. Actually, 3 out of 4 episodes of Season 3 has been this way.

They may not be following the comic story frame by fame, but damn they are keeping the spirit of the comic alive. They throw main characters under the bus without any notice and it's almost always a surprise, just like the comics. No one is safe! Anyone can die at any time! It makes for some great TV.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hmmm

Serous developments in S03E04 but the plot was a little weak/thin. Kinda "add masses of zombies on demand".

The show gets a little slow when people stay in one location for multiple episodes. Still, well worth watching.

[Show]
The governor hitting that zombie right in the head with his golf ball drive was a little corny.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

[Show]
I'm having a hard time thinking of any motive the governor could have to be going so far out of his way to track people down and kill them instead of bolstering his ranks or leaving them to their own. It's kinda bugging me.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Funkmasterr wrote:
[Show]
I'm having a hard time thinking of any motive the governor could have to be going so far out of his way to track people down and kill them instead of bolstering his ranks or leaving them to their own. It's kinda bugging me.
[Show]
Seems like they are set for numbers in their community. Also, not only did The Governor end up with a ton of weapons/ammo/supplies/vehicles, he also eliminated additional people who may have had leadership skills. Easier to lead without folks who may question said leadership.
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Canelek wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:
[Show]
[Show]
Seems like they are set for numbers in their community. Also, not only did The Governor end up with a ton of weapons/ammo/supplies/vehicles, he also eliminated additional people who may have had leadership skills. Easier to lead without folks who may question said leadership.
I get that kind of, but when they found the helicopter pilot he went out of his way to keep him alive and find where his crew was so he could hunt them down and kill them. Those guys wouldn't have likely ever found the governors little settlement, so that doesn't seem to cover it.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

He was going for their weapons and trucks, but he does not want more men unless they will be easily controlled\influenced by him. When they first picked up the girls, they were emphasizing the fact that they were women, then there were a few mentions about other women being pregnant in the compound.

I think he only keeps the men that he can control, and will breed for the rest. Then he can form a new society in whatever image he wants.

Edit: Screw spoilers. Anyone that clicks on this thread should know what they are going to get.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Asheran Mojomaster wrote: Edit: Screw spoilers. Anyone that clicks on this thread should know what they are going to get.
I agree. Only spoiler something if you're revealing something from the comics that takes place later in the story.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I think the spoilers were just a courtesy for those who hadn't had a chance to view the show just yet. I'd say you should be able to speak freely by Tuesday afternoon. I don't get to watch on Sunday night and tend to watch it early morning before work on Monday. I avoid the thread mainly until I have seen the latest episode.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bubba Grizz wrote:I think the spoilers were just a courtesy for those who hadn't had a chance to view the show just yet. I'd say you should be able to speak freely by Tuesday afternoon.
Way to tailor the speak freely time to your needs Bubba! What time of day do you view? (indicate time zone)

I think it's common sense to just avoid new posts on a series thread if you haven't watched the current episode. I waited until yesterday to watch and Walking Dead was the only thread that I skipped indicating new posts. Resist the urge!
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I try to get my viewing in at about 5am on Monday morning CST. I have it dvr'd so I can zip through it fairly fast. I posted this week Monday but I used spoilers because I figured not everyone who didn't see it yet had a chance to. I'm alright if the thread has no problem with spoilers. I just wanted to err on the side of consideration for others.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Works for me. I agree that if you follow or are going to follow the show (now in its 3rd season), you should be able to resist the urge to read a thread that is obviously about following the show. :P
[Show]
Suck it!
en kærlighed småkager
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Lori dies.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Zamtuk wrote:Rick's stupid son dies.
zomg what?
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Kluden wrote:
Zamtuk wrote:Maggie chokes to death on Daryl's brother's spoiler.
zomg what?
That's just a bald faced lie.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Merle looks like the kind of guy desperate enough to put on a rubber and have zombie sex.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

The Governor found a military presence and wanted them eliminated. He didn't want "his" people running off with a better trained, better armed group.

He wants power, and he has it there. Anyone who can challenge him, he will have them killed.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

double post
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah I guess, I don't like the douche, I know that much. I get the feeling he isn't going to let the two womenz leave.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:Yeah I guess, I don't like the douche, I know that much. I get the feeling he isn't going to let the two womenz leave.
He seems a lot more mellow than what he was like in the beginning. I'm not sure if it's an act of if he's changed yet. His brother has totally mellowed out.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Winnow wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:Yeah I guess, I don't like the douche, I know that much. I get the feeling he isn't going to let the two womenz leave.
He seems a lot more mellow than what he was like in the beginning. I'm not sure if it's an act of if he's changed yet. His brother has totally mellowed out.
I think the "douche" he was referring to us the Governor.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, although that douche is a wild card too. He's most likely gonna take off, maybe he'll help the ladies escape and try to get them to help find his brother. That reunion could cause some problems.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Comic comparison spoiler:
[Show]
I'm just waiting for the "real" Governor to show up. I know they've got to tone some of his comic book craziness down since this show is on AMC and not HBO, but this guy just isn't enough of a truly twisted, evil, demented son of a bitch (yet?). It's relatively early in the TV version's arc, but I'm just not liking this version of The Governor. A scheming, calculating, cold-hearted mofo just isn't as frightening a bad guy as the zombie-daughter, rape dungeon, death match arena, take your hand off to send a message kind of nutter we see in the comic.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

I predict that Merle ends up with an arrow through his head at some point. Just not sure if he will be a zombie first or not.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Is anyone else feeling cheated that we were ROBBED of the Merle/T Dog reunion?!
Fuck Michigan!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Zamtuk wrote:Is anyone else feeling cheated that we were ROBBED of the Merle/T Dog reunion?!
Continuity issue? Maybe that is why T-Dog was offed this week... makes no sense. Still does not completely diminish the upcoming reunion, if they decide to bother to write that in...

Still though, despite the show's story/acting/continuity issues, for me, The Walking dead is entertaining as fuck! :)
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Zamtuk wrote:Is anyone else feeling cheated that we were ROBBED of the Merle/T Dog reunion?!
YES!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Not sure what to think about S03E05. It seemed like a filler episode.

It didn't expand the story much. We already knew most of what they showed.

So, I guess that zombie with the big belly ate Rick's wife.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

What? You're crazy. That episode did a lot to illustrate what a nutjob the Governor is, show that Woodbury isn't the idyllic little hamlet you might have thought, expand on Michonne a little more, prove that Daryl is really just a big softie, etc. Plus there were a bunch of nicely gory zombie deaths via katana, axe, and gun.

You really shouldn't be allowed to express your opinion on anything.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sylvus wrote:What? You're crazy. That episode did a lot to illustrate what a nutjob the Governor is, show that Woodbury isn't the idyllic little hamlet you might have thought, expand on Michonne a little more, prove that Daryl is really just a big softie, etc. Plus there were a bunch of nicely gory zombie deaths via katana, axe, and gun.
Like I said, all of that had already been established...we saw a fishtank full of zombie heads already in the governor's office and we already knew Daryl was a softie.

Chill out. The show is always entertaining, just not much development in the latest episode.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

Some of us who read the comics already knew this, but they revealed his zombie daughter for the first time no?

That's a big reveal.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

<---Didn't read the comics yet.

And yes, they revealed Penny the adorable zombie-daughter. I thought this episode was pretty good, actually! Quite a few things happening, and further expanding on Governor's psychosis. The zombie experiments were borrowed heavily from Day of the Dead, but that's cool. Interesting to see how things go with Rick and the prison club. Guessing that there will be a falling out with the already tenuous relationship with the convicts.

Solid season so far.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hopefully the female person of color in the show will lop off the head of the governor's daughter. Killing previous zombified family members did wonders for the attitudes of the farm residents. Maybe it will help with the governor as well.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:Hopefully the female person of color in the show will lop off the head of the governor's daughter. Killing previous zombified family members did wonders for the attitudes of the farm residents. Maybe it will help with the governor as well.
:lol:
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Winnow, not every episode can or should be as epic as the first four were. We needed a slower episode; I was all for it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zamtuk wrote:Winnow, not every episode can or should be as epic as the first four were. We needed a slower episode; I was all for it.
I was entertained. I don't think it was near the top of the list in quality or being a memorable episode.

Just stating how I felt about it. The governor was established as a nutjob already. Rick was already freaked out from the previous episode and he just kind of wandered around with zero change in his state. Merle's brother was already shown to care about other people, especially with children as demonstrated with the missing kid search episodes. The person of color had been suspicious and wanting to leave the governor's camp for three episodes and finally did. I didn't see much character development with anyone.

I guess the big deal was showing the governor's kid zombie and the person of color finally left which was long overdue.

compare it to the episode before:

tdawg dies
carol maybe dies or at least vanishes
lori cut open in tense scene (compare that with the lame zombie gladiator fight in episode 5)
baby born
lori dies
rick flips out
hershel gets back on his feet
life or death zombie killing
two convicts make strides in becoming part of the group (one saves rick's life)

critical reception:
Eric Goldman of IGN gave the episode a large amount of praise. He stated that the episode was shocking in terms of loss, and the fact that Lori died so early in the season. Calling it "an incredibly tense and unrelenting" episode, he praised the performance of the cast, the writing, the shock factor of the episode, giving it a final rating of 9.5 out of 10.[2]
I just like to see the story moved along in a meaningful way or learn new things about the characters. Baby zombie was it for S03E05. Usually there's more changes or "reveals" that take place in a single episode. All the zombie killing in the this episode was for sport or meaningless (person of color and rick's rampages) compared to the intense life or death killing in other episodes.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:hershel gets back on his foot
fixed
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Boogahz wrote:
Winnow wrote:hershel gets back on his foot
fixed
That's gotta be the strangest conversation ever, "So, hey. Thanks for field amputating my foot with an axe. No, seriously, thanks."
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.