Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Re: The Walking Dead

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Xatrei wrote:
Bagar- wrote:I'm genuinely curious as to why?
I had a longer, more detailed response that I lost when I accidentally ejected the battery on my notebook. I'm too lazy to try to recreate all of it, but I'll try to touch on a few things quickly. First of all, understand that as a former tanker in the US Army, these things stand out to me far more than they would to people without that background (although I suspect they'd draw the attention of anyone with a background in armor). I understand that, so it's really no big deal.

They used an old British Chieftain with a few cosmetic tweaks as a prop to represent an American Abrams tank. That's fine, but it immediately drew my attention to the tank and away from what was going on in the scene. That had the result of causing me to start nitpicking all kinds of little things. The most glaring and annoying things were:
  • Single most annoying thing about it is that belly hatches don't exist for a number of reasons.
  • Members of the 82nd Airborne (the division patch on zombie GI's left shoulder) aren't armor crewmen.
  • Tank interiors don't have that kind of space in them (at least when they're deployable and not stripped of everything).
  • The radio setup wouldn't work like that, and refugees with scavenged civilian radios aren't going to be able to taunt anyone inside like that.
Similarly, as someone that's owned 3 Glocks over the years, the roadblock scene at the beginning of the episode in which future zombie deputy was admonished to "make sure there's a round in the chamber, and the safety is off" annoyed me. Again, it's a minor nit-picky thing, but technical flaws like that just irk me. There are several issues with firearms during the show that I've noticed. A better consultant would have cleaned up some of that.

Nit-picky things aside, I'm really into this show. My only legitimate complaint is that it's only 6 episodes this first season. Sunday night's episode (e04) was my least favorite so far, but still not bad overall. It's interesting how they're merging new story lines with elements from the comic series into the new show.

two things I need to nitpick with your nitpicking:

1) Is there some special force shield that would prevent Airborne members from entering a stationary tank to attempt to escape from zombies?

2) Glocks can have manual safeties on them. It is not a factory option, but there are several places you can either have them done or get one to add in yourself.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:two things I need to nitpick with your nitpicking:

1) Is there some special force shield that would prevent Airborne members from entering a stationary tank to attempt to escape from zombies?

2) Glocks can have manual safeties on them. It is not a factory option, but there are several places you can either have them done or get one to add in yourself.
1. Of course there's nothing to prevent a soldier from a non-armor unit (or a Sheriff's Deputy from Kentucky) from entering the vehicle, but I doubt that much thought went into it. I think they just told their wardrobe people to get some soldiery looking kit together for the scene.

2. As you say, Glocks (to further nitpick, other than the 17S made for some foreign governments which a bumkin deputy wouldn't have) require an aftermarket safety. These are located on the left side at the rear of the receiver, about 1/2" behind the slide lock lever. There was no aftermarket safety on the Glock used by this deputy. The guy pulled the slide back fully (revealing to the camera that there was, in fact, no round in the chamber), and then thumbed the slide lock release with a loud "click." The slide lock release lever doesn't make much of a sound if you thumb it while the slide is forward. Again, very minor, nitpicky stuff, but it just stood out to me.

Like I said, these things didn't stop me from enjoying the episode, they just caught my attention and annoyed me to varying degrees as they appeared.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm concerned about the distribution of abandoned cars and other rubble/junk on the interstates. I refuse to believe that the outgoing lanes from Atlanta would be absolutely jam packed while there are zero cars or debree on the incoming lanes.

I'm also interested in how these zombies stay hydrated. How could this series last more than a few days? The Zombies would crumble due to lack of hydration within a week and none of them would have eyes.

hrumph!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I'd think there'd be more zombies with hardly any remaining tissue, from the initial biting and feasting.

This show rocks.
[Show]
I wish the second-lead cop character hadn't told the lead mom that lead cop had died, because without that the "who is she gonna fuck next?" plot could be very intriguing.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Leonaerd wrote:I'd think there'd be more zombies with hardly any remaining tissue, from the initial biting and feasting.

This show rocks.
[Show]
I wish the second-lead cop character hadn't told the lead mom that lead cop had died, because without that the "who is she gonna fuck next?" plot could be very intriguing.
[Show]
But then he wouldnt have gotten any poon...
Timmah.

Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Soreali »

Leonaerd wrote:I'd think there'd be more zombies with hardly any remaining tissue, from the initial biting and feasting.

This show rocks.
[Show]
[Show]
But then he wouldnt have gotten any poon...
Timmah.

masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Winnow wrote:I'm concerned about the distribution of abandoned cars and other rubble/junk on the interstates. I refuse to believe that the outgoing lanes from Atlanta would be absolutely jam packed while there are zero cars or debree on the incoming lanes.

I'm also interested in how these zombies stay hydrated. How could this series last more than a few days? The Zombies would crumble due to lack of hydration within a week and none of them would have eyes.

hrumph!
1. I can't imagine anyone wanting to get into Atlanta RIGHT NOW, so have no issue with everyone leaving due to pockyclips.

2. The human brain is ~75% water; hydration is not going to be a problem for zombies. Feminine odor? PROBLEM.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

masteen wrote: 1. I can't imagine anyone wanting to get into Atlanta RIGHT NOW, so have no issue with everyone leaving due to pockyclips.
Yeah, but in a mass exodus like that, people are smart enough to use both sides of the road. Even with your basic hurricane evac that happens. With Zombies running around, I'm sure it would add to the lack of order for staying on one side of the road. There was nothing on the inbound side of the road. Just a car or two with some trash scattered about would have been nice.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Good point on the evac, Winnow--people would be crashed everywhere, including medians. Stephen King illustrates this quite well in The Stand.

As for Atlants, I was surprised to not see any hay on the streets. A small qualm, really.
[Show]
As for Ep4, it rambled a bit, but I still dug it. Threw me for a loop with the whole gangbanger/caregiver bit. Playing on stereotypes, well played, sirs.
en kærlighed småkager
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

That outbound lane is pretty much what all major thoroughfares in Atlanta look like, inbound or out, from about 0400 to 1900.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Help me out here...which way are these cars pointing on both sides of the freeway?

...and not a single car or debris on the inbound lanes in the Walking Dead scene?

I rest my case!
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Soreali »

Judging by the lack of comments since the season finale I wasnt the only one disappointed in it?
Timmah.

Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

i don't know why this show is so dramatic and slow as piss. it should be much more realistic and gritty, almost like a hand-held, Cloverfield atmosphere. too much pulling of the Emotional Card.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Soreali »

I mean I really enjoyed the season but that last episode just really left me disappointed..
[Show]
The whole "Oh we're saved by the last standing guy in the CDC hooray!" Followed by the "OMG THE CDC IS GONNA GO BOOM EXACTLY ONE DAY AFTER WE GOT HERE AND WE HAVE TO GTFO NOW" just seemed like a lame way to end it
Timmah.

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I'm fine with the ending.
[Show]
It may have been overblown, but the dread and "noething left to live for" bit had to come along sooner or later. Also, with the insane despair, it is not surprising to have someone that would "try to make it easier and quicker" in the depression. Once again though, bummer we have to wait another year.
A 10/10 show so far.
en kærlighed småkager
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

The finale was definitely shit, but for me, so where episodes 4, 5, and finale. They were slow, the characters didn't truly get developed anymore than they already were, and we had a "filler" plot with the gang members/caregivers scene...they put them in the show to waste 30 minutes it seemed.

To me, the only good parts of the final 3 episodes were the emotional roller coaster being portrayed well on the actors faces. They do a good job of displaying things non verbally, and I have to hand it to them for the cast they chose.

The true relief when the cdc door opens...the food...getting drunk...letting the drinking cause your frustrations to get the best of you...it was all well acted out by all the players. Of course, then they had lines that sort of ruined things. Like, Guido Cop has become so annoying to me now. I now equate his character to that of Michael on Lost. The show will be better without that character. Its annoying.

I'm fine with the ending, I'm just thinking that could have been episode 4, and 5 and 6 could have been more moving. I did have to giggle at the "special effects" explosion of the cdc. I think we found the part where they ran out of money! haha

Its too bad though, that they didn't have time to arm up with those M4's the cdc apparently had a plethora of. Those would drastically make killing walkers easier.

On the firearms accuracy stuff above, at least they got the correct sidearm piece on that soldier in the tank, M9.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I enjoyed the first season, but looking back on it as a whole, I really wish they'd gone a different direction pretty early on. I think they wasted too much of the show's allotted run time after episode 2. I assume they deviated so severely from the comics because they only had 6 episodes to work with, budget constraints and the fact that at the time, they were uncertain of whether the show would be picked up for a second season. I thought it was unfortunate that they wasted time on going back to the city for that bubba, guns or the radio and spent so much time with Guillermo's nursing home. I could have easily lived without the CDC cheesiness entirely. If they had stuck a little closer to the comic, they could easily have gotten through the zombified gated community, killed off extraneous cast, gotten Carl shot and arrive at the farm with Karl's survival or maybe the barn's contents being the cliff hanger.

Hopefully a better budget and a little more certainty about the show's future will keep season 2 a little tighter and more interesting.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I enjoyed the series, but Comic > TV so far.

(missing 75-78 btw...)
- Ash
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I enjoyed it, but was kind of underwhelmed. If the seasons are going to be this short they are going to have to bump the pacing up about 10 fold.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I read that the 2nd season will be 13 episodes.
Zygar_ Cthulhukin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Zygar_ Cthulhukin »

Yeah, the first run was supposed to be a mini-series, but the ratings were so good it's a series now, so 13 episodes in a season is good...even though we have to wait a year for the next ones.....chill
{{{(>.<)}}} (o.o) \\(^o^)// --- I DID IT!!!! -Hiro
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/09/01/ ... it-in-half

The season two premiere of AMC’s The Walking Dead will be a 90 minute long episode, and the season itself will be, like many of the zombies in it, chopped right in half. Part two of season two will air in February.

The show premieres on October 16th, and it will run six episodes, and then it’ll go on hiatus and return on February 12th. That second half of the season will be seven episodes. Here’s hoping that this division makes some sense and that we’re left with an interesting cliffhanger to keep our zombie appetites whetted.
Shouldn't be a problem if they have a good point to stop after the first "half" of the season. It could end up being like two mini-series.
Last edited by Boogahz on September 6, 2011, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

hmmm, thread not bumping?
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

We need 1-2 episodes dedicated to Merle! :D
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I kind of like the series split in two. Nothing for me to watch until spring, otherwise!

I heard rumor that the budget was much lower due to more episodes. Have not confirmed.
en kærlighed småkager
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

Canelek wrote:I kind of like the series split in two. Nothing for me to watch until spring, otherwise!

I heard rumor that the budget was much lower due to more episodes. Have not confirmed.
There was a huge falling out at AMC over them giving Mad Men the majority of funding and making cuts to shows like Walking Dead and Breaking Bad in the process.

From Kurt Sutter ( creator of Sons of Anarachy on rival FX network ).
"why darabont got fired - weiner. [Weiner] held AMC hostage, broke their bank, budgets were slashed, shit rolled down hill onto gilligan and frank,"........"no one else wants to fucking say it, but the greed of mad men is killing the other two best shows on tv -- breaking bad and walking dead."
Edit: Weiner is referring to Mark Weiner, creator of Mad Men.
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Yeah, the Walking Dead budget went from 2.5 million per episode to 1.7-1.8. It's a pretty big deal. AMC is shitting in it's own bed by fucking with so many highly rated shows. I remain cautiously optimistic about Walking Dead. I thought the show dropped in quality towards the end, with the last episode being the worst.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!!

9PM
en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Think I'm gonna have to finally download season one of this.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

miir wrote:Think I'm gonna have to finally download season one of this.
It's streaming on Netflix. Not sure if you see it in Canada though. Sometimes when I VPN via Montreal, Netflix is slightly different.
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

yeah, different streaming content for Canada
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Nootflixe! :D
en kærlighed småkager
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

If Breaking Bad and Walking Dead have to be sacrificed to appease the Mad Men gods, I'm all for it.

Don Draper.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

It is on Netflix in Canada. Watch 5 minutes of the first ep earlier today.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

A few minutes into the show, and you can already tell the chopped budget has affected the special effects. The CGI / compositing of them driving out of Atlanta looked awful.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

That's funny, I noticed the same thing and thought "Eh, that's acceptable." I'd rather they cut the costs there than with zombie makeup or something that actually matters!
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Yeah, definitely forgivable given the apparent budget restrictions. When I saw that, I was a bit worried that there would be more crappy effects to come, but I don't remember anything else that was so bad through the rest of the episode.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I watched it yesterday and all I can say is, "Damn, I'm glad I had it on DVR". So many damn commercials. You'd think they'd have no budget issues with so many commercials. Having read most of the comic I knew generally what was coming. So at the end of the episode I was like "oh my" and then quickily followed by an "Oh yeah, I remember that".

I think I like the Crossbow guy the best, followed by the oriental guy.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

the oriental guy
Oriental?
:)
I haven't heard that term used in... um.. wow, like 20+ years.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Yeah I forgot his name and couldn't say, "the guy with the hat". No disrespect to the person all. Not like I was using a slur.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Had a conversation a while back about the term 'oriental'... and if it could be construed as an offensive or derogatory term.
Nobody seemed to know. I personally don't think it's any more offensive than 'Asian'.
I had a friend in gradeschool whos father called all Asian people (regardless of country of origin) 'chinaman' :lol:
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

hahahaha!

Awesome.

I enjoyed the episode, and didn't feel the budget cuts too much. Never read the comics, so it's all surprising to me.
en kærlighed småkager
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

I read the comics and the last episode was surprising to me!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

miir wrote:Had a conversation a while back about the term 'oriental'... and if it could be construed as an offensive or derogatory term.
Nobody seemed to know. I personally don't think it's any more offensive than 'Asian'.
I had a friend in gradeschool whos father called all Asian people (regardless of country of origin) 'chinaman' :lol:
Dude, Asian-American is the preferred nomenclature.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

masteen wrote:
miir wrote:Had a conversation a while back about the term 'oriental'... and if it could be construed as an offensive or derogatory term.
Dude, Asian-American is the preferred nomenclature.
Ha! Nomenclature! Sorry just struck me as funny coming from a supply background.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Nice Lebowski ref there.

I actually used 'nomenclature' in an email today. WIN!
2611 nomenclature still needs to be hammered out, so we’ll just be going with 2613 tomorrow.

I’ll be presenting any CAB items for my team.

Thanks!
en kærlighed småkager
Neroon
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Neroon »

Bubba Grizz wrote:I watched it yesterday and all I can say is, "Damn, I'm glad I had it on DVR". So many damn commercials. You'd think they'd have no budget issues with so many commercials. Having read most of the comic I knew generally what was coming. So at the end of the episode I was like "oh my" and then quickily followed by an "Oh yeah, I remember that".

I agree. They basically just took a normal 1 hour episode and added another 30 minutes of commercials from what I saw...
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Neroon wrote:
Bubba Grizz wrote:I watched it yesterday and all I can say is, "Damn, I'm glad I had it on DVR". So many damn commercials. You'd think they'd have no budget issues with so many commercials. Having read most of the comic I knew generally what was coming. So at the end of the episode I was like "oh my" and then quickily followed by an "Oh yeah, I remember that".

I agree. They basically just took a normal 1 hour episode and added another 30 minutes of commercials from what I saw...
The download was 1:03 minutes without commercials... if they showed that in 1:30 minutes that's the almost the normal amount of commercials (time wise, ~18 minutes/hour); maybe 1 minute more per half hour than usual.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Was that blue meth in episode 2? :)

Is it just me or did it seem like the zombies moved a bit faster at the hospital?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Lynks wrote:Was that blue meth in episode 2? :)

Is it just me or did it seem like the zombies moved a bit faster at the hospital?
It was the blue meth indeed! And yeah, they were hauling ass at the FEMA trailer.
en kærlighed småkager