Just Cause 2

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Just Cause 2

Post by Aslanna »

Has anyone tried this yet? Reviews are about average but general user comments are fairly positive. Plus you can do things like grapple an enemy then attach them to moving cars or things like compressed gas tanks and launch them into the air. I gave the demo a try and it seemed fun but not something that quite convinced me to pay full retail on. Perhaps when it drops to $40 or less I'll give it a go. It looks like it would take a lot of time to complete it 100%. Luckily it's single-player so you don't have any lame impossible multiplayer achievements.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Just Cause 2

Post by Funkmasterr »

Meh, just another blow shit up open world game. These don't really interest me anymore, partly due to the fact that I never get more than like 20% done with any of the GTA type sandbox games before I realize there is too much to do and I give up.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:Meh, just another blow shit up open world game. These don't really interest me anymore, partly due to the fact that I never get more than like 20% done with any of the GTA type sandbox games before I realize there is too much to do and I give up.
You can pretty much classify any game as 'just another <insert type here> game'. But yeah it is an open world sandbox game. It looks much funner than Infamous was.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:Meh, just another blow shit up open world game. These don't really interest me anymore, partly due to the fact that I never get more than like 20% done with any of the GTA type sandbox games before I realize there is too much to do and I give up.
You can pretty much classify any game as 'just another <insert type here> game'. But yeah it is an open world sandbox game. It looks much funner than Infamous was.
Sure you can, assuming it doesn't do anything new - this just looked kinda meh to me. I really think my issue with sandbox games is just that I like to finish games and I can never dedicate the amount of time it takes to thoroughly go through one of those games.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I played the first Just Cause for a few hours but it was pretty bad.
I tried the demo for Just Cause 2 and wasn't very impressed.
Basically a hybrid of Mercenaries 2 and Red Faction: Guerrilla.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:I really think my issue with sandbox games is just that I like to finish games and I can never dedicate the amount of time it takes to thoroughly go through one of those games.
Yet that doesn't stop you from playing WoW or EQ2. It's not like you can finish those games!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:I really think my issue with sandbox games is just that I like to finish games and I can never dedicate the amount of time it takes to thoroughly go through one of those games.
Yet that doesn't stop you from playing WoW or EQ2. It's not like you can finish those games!
Well yeah, like you said, you can't "finish" those games. Sandbox games can be finished, I just think most of them are too ambitious. I like completing everything in console games, or at least close, and I start to try and do that every time I try one of the sandbox games, get overwhelmed and give up. I'd play a MMO (like I do) if I wanted to spend that much time on a game.

I liked Crackdown actually, and am excited for the second. It has all the regular sandbox elements but just not quite the obnoxiously overwhelming amount of busy work shit to do.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Personally I really like it and the grappling hook rocks. Blowing shit up rocks. It's not a massive blockbuster, but it's a fun way to spend some time.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Aslanna wrote:
Well yeah, like you said, you can't "finish" those games. Sandbox games can be finished, I just think most of them are too ambitious. I like completing everything in console games, or at least close, and I start to try and do that every time I try one of the sandbox games, get overwhelmed and give up. I'd play a MMO (like I do) if I wanted to spend that much time on a game.

I liked Crackdown actually, and am excited for the second. It has all the regular sandbox elements but just not quite the obnoxiously overwhelming amount of busy work shit to do.

So your saying that it takes too long to go 1000/1000 on it, so it is not good?
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I found it for $45 so went ahead and ordered it. Guess I'll find out how much it sucks tomorrow! It's not something I expect to platinum in a week.. or even four. But as long as it's fun I'll get value for my money. $60 for a game like Just Cause 2 that takes 50 hours (or whatever) to completely finish or $60 for a game like God of War 3 you can finish in 10 hours. I know which I'll pick! Hint: It wasn't God of War 3.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Tyek wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:
Aslanna wrote:

So your saying that it takes too long to go 1000/1000 on it, so it is not good?
Not really, you can try reading what I wrote again though, I stated it pretty clearly.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

This is a great game. It's as open world as you could ever hope for. You make your way from base to base recovering lost data and causing as much havoc as possible. There are over 100 vehicles in the game and the world is 400sq miles in size. It is intimidating looking at the overworld map. The last game that gave me that feeling was Sacred 2, with it's enormous world. The game is basically Red Faction: Guerrilla without any real story or missions. You just... blow everything the fuck up. That's not to say it isn't really, really satisfying though :) I also really like the grappling hookshot. The potential for mischief makes me smile.

There are so many bases to destroy, commanders to kill, and data to recover, that I don't really see how it's possible to do it all without getting bored at some point. Granted, the action is great, the weapons feel good, and your imagination is the only limitation on how much chaos and death you can deal, but it's such a large world that I'm not sure it can sustain itself.

I regret playing this before Crackdown 2, because I have a bad feeling that Crackdown 2 is going to absolutely pale in comparison.

As far as open world destruction goes, Just Cause 2 looks like it could be the king. I don't know though, that matter eating sniper rifle from Red Faction: Guerrilla was awesome as hell, as was the destructible buildings and physics...
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Here's an IGN video review I cannot help but agree with!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVirgfyuIC8
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I forgot to add a post to this thread after playing the game! The IGN video review covers most of it so not a lot to add. I did platinum it, which takes two playthroughs but luckily you don't have to 100% the game to get 1000 Gamerscore / Platinum Trophy. I don't remember what percentage completion you need I think it's 85% or something. I actually think it's near impossible, or at least very time consuming, to 100% this as there are hidden weapon cases all over the place not just in towns so you'd have to painstakingly comb over the entire map to find them. I think I put 120 hours maybe into this game and definitely got my $45 worth. I know some people complained about no multi-player but I think it was just fine without it. Maybe a co-op mode would have been a nice addition but other than that SP only was fine.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:I did platinum it, which takes two playthroughs but luckily you don't have to 100% the game to get 1000 Gamerscore / Platinum Trophy. I don't remember what percentage completion you need I think it's 85% or something.I think I put 120 hours maybe into this game and definitely got my $45 worth.

Hats off. Just based on what I've seen, I'm impressed! I'm glad to hear your impressions. The game is showing up on a surprising amount of player's GOTY lists on NeoGaf so I had an idea that it was going to be pretty good. I certainly haven't mastered the hookshot yet though.

Out of all the games I played yesterday, I settled down with Just Cause 2 at the end of the night because it's the easiest one to jump in and out of. It's lack of real story and focus on random destruction is a major bonus for me.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Correction: it only takes one playthrough if you start on Hardcore. I think the first time I started on Normal but I can't remember exactly what I did as that was 8 months ago.

And also 75% is enough to '100%' the game as far as achievements/trophies goes. The first 60% or so isn't bad. It's the last 10-15% that can be a grind.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I just wrapped up the story on this tonight. Great great game. I put about 30 hours on this overall and have approx 35% completion.

For 10$ I can't ask for any better.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I also got this for 10$ and I would've paid full price for it if I had known it was going to be so much fun.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Just Cause 3 (if it ever gets made) is going to be a day 1 purchase for me that's for sure.

Picked up Mafia 2 for 10$ off Steam 2 weeks ago. This one, from what I've played thus far, doesn't seem like it's going to dissapoint either.