NFL News/Discussion 2010

What do you think about the sports world?
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Re: NFL News/Discussion 2010

Post by Gzette »

I can't believe they traded McNabb to a team in their own division.
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

McNabb's dad says timing of trade had meaning

Though we've yet to hear anything from Donovan McNabb's mother regarding the deal that sent his son from Philly to Washington, Donovan's dad has chimed in.

Regarding the timing of the trade, which went down on Easter evening, Sam McNabb said, "Absolutely, it meant something," according to Jarrett Bell of USA Today (via Sheil Kapadia of philly.com).

"We were celebrating Jesus' resurrection, right? Then we turn around and Donovan gets resurrected. Just perfect."

Ugh.

We'll now yield the floor to the commenters.
The Source
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Wow. Unconfirmed reports that Santonio Holmes is on his way to the Jets for a 5th rd pick.

Kinda surprising and kinda not. Surprising from the price the Jets paid for a legitimate top notch receiver from a team thats not that deep in them. Not surprising because Holmes is a bit of a bad boy (has a litany of bad press) with a new controversy and the Rooneys don't like bad press from their players in Steeltown. Wonder where they'll ship Roethlisburger to if he gets charged...
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

http://www.theonion.com/articles/donova ... ove,17235/
Donovan McNabb: 'I'd Like To Thank The Ungrateful, Over-Expecting,Oftentimes-Racist Fans Of Philadelphia'

WASHINGTON—During an emotionally charged press conference Monday, newly minted Redskins quarterback Donovan McNabb expressed gratitude to the unappreciative, abusive, and intolerant fans of the Philadelphia Eagles for their total lack of support over the years. "I'd like to thank all the Eagles fans who were always there to demand the whole world from me every week, who expected me to do everything with almost nothing, and who blamed me for the team's every failure," said the six-time Pro Bowler, who also apologized for his failure to shore up the Eagles defense and his inability to keep Brian Westbrook healthy while leading the team to five NFC championship games. "I can't thank them enough for the constant insults or tell you what their lack of support meant to me when Rush Limbaugh made racist comments about me. My only regret, besides every fucking awful moment of the past 11 years, is that I couldn't give these people what they wanted most: drafting Ricky Williams back in 1999. No fans deserved it more." McNabb then wished probable Eagles starting QB Kevin Kolb luck winning the next 25 Super Bowls "because nothing else will be enough," gave all Philly fans the finger "because I can't give them all cancer," sighed with pleasure, and went to turn in his Eagles playbook to the Redskins' defensive coordinators.
en kærlighed småkager
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

The Stillers were deeper in receivers than you might believe. They still have Hines Ward, they just signed Antwaan Randle El, and they picked up Arnaz Battle in free agency. They also have Mike Wallace who is kind of the same receiver that Holmes was, except cheaper, faster, and not smoking dope.

The announcement should come today on Dumbassberger and I seriously doubt he will be charged with anything. My guess is he eats a large fine from the organization and is put on notice that he will be shipped to Oakland if he even sets foot in a bar again. If for some reason he IS charged and there were issues, then my guess is he would be gone immediately and they would probably work on signing Marc Bulger.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I think it was a good move on the Steelers owners. They are sending a message that they want to win but they want to win it all their way. They don't need this guy's baggage when there are other, better options available. It has to sting a bit for Holmes to only be considered worth a 5th round pick after being a Superbowl MVP and having had nearly 1300 yards recieving last year.

Now they can probably get a 4th round pick for Toothlessburger.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I'm upset they got so little for Holmes...but with 1 yr on the contract, plus a suspension to start the year...I doubt they could have gotten more this close to the draft. I do tend to agree that the receiving core is fine, and can handle this loss. Battle has never proven/shown much to me...he's a #3 receiver until he steps up his game. Sure, he's a #1 on a shit team...but ward and wallace are clear #1 and #2. Randle El should have something to prove, a chip on his shoulder, a want to win back the fans...something...which will make him a tough vet to beat out for the #3.

Roethlesburger is not getting charged...but still has to face whatever Goodell hands down. I imagine it will be 2 to 4 games. This is similar to pacman jones, so something has to happen from the front office, or they will be showing a clear double standard. Pacman was not charged, but got suspended. Both are dumb fucks, so both should get the same treatment from Roger.

I'm a steelers fan, but believe in punishment for dumbassery.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Marshall to Miami for a 2nd round pick this year and another 2nd round next year. Pretty fair deal, since obviously nobody wanted to have to give up a 1st round pick.

Hopefully, McDaniels doesn't fucker away the picks like he did last year with trading down to the 2nd round to pick up a 5'9 CB that plays situationally....
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

6 game suspension for Ben, can be reduced to 4 if Goodell is satisfied with his behavior/progress at the week 4 mark. Seems kind of big with no charges filed.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Good. Fuck off Ben. Hopefully the Steelers trade him. They will immediately become my clear second favorite NFL team if they do.

Had several discussions today on two questions: Who is the better human being, Ben Roethlisberger or Michael Vick? Who would you rather marry, Ben Roethlisberger or Michael Vick?
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Sueven wrote:Good. Fuck off Ben. Hopefully the Steelers trade him. They will immediately become my clear second favorite NFL team if they do.

Had several discussions today on two questions: Who is the better human being, Ben Roethlisberger or Michael Vick? Who would you rather marry, Ben Roethlisberger or Michael Vick?
I can't marry either of them, maybe a civil union though.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

Sueven wrote:Good. Fuck off Ben. Hopefully the Steelers trade him. They will immediately become my clear second favorite NFL team if they do.

Ben, he'd end up cheating and I'd get millions. Vick doesn't have as much money.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

It is good to know a lawyer that only listens to one side of a story and condemns immediately. With the accuser's side of the story out there, don't you wonder why they decided not to prosecute? Maybe it was because of gems like the cop at the scene asking this chick "were you raped?" and the answer being "no"...
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I wish I had the police reports from both the cases, I would like to see what the DA's were dealing with in both states. I'm not saying he's innocent, I'm not saying he's guilty. I don't know the facts. My money is usually on guilty... He's still a fucken toolbag idiot though.

edit: read all the stuff on the smoking gun.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

You guys can have Orton for Dennis Dixon. :)

I'm thinking Ben will wind up in Silver and Black.
en kærlighed småkager
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

They are not high enough in the draft....although if they did trade the bonehead, I think I might prefer Dan LeFevour over anyone else in the draft. Possibly McCoy if he was in the 2nd round. I think LeFevour would be available in the 3rd and will be the steal of this draft.

A trade would still have them taking a BIG cap hit because of the pro-rated portion of the signing bonus. I do not see them getting a good enough offer to trade him right now...and if it was simply for a #1, then they are morons.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Big Ben just got stung by what my friends are calling the Pac Man Effect. The NFL is going to be extra hard on (huh-huh) this sort of low-class sketchiness, because unlike the NCAA, they understand how lucky they are to have the monopoly exemption, and don't want any of their amazingly athletic retards fucking up the cash train for everyone, and unlike MLB and the NBA, they have properly smacked down their labor union recently enough to have the clout to do so.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Agree on LeFevour. Kid has talent.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Cardinals Coach places a call to the Steelers About Big Bed. Wisenhunt was the offensive coordinator for the Steelers before he was saved from that crappy state and came to Az.

If the price is low enough, he might be interested. I'm not.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

It is good to know a lawyer that only listens to one side of a story and condemns immediately. With the accuser's side of the story out there, don't you wonder why they decided not to prosecute? Maybe it was because of gems like the cop at the scene asking this chick "were you raped?" and the answer being "no"...
Well, good thing I'm just accusing him of being a scumbag sexual predator instead of asserting that sufficient evidence exists to convict him of rape. I'll also note that the district attorney who declined to prosecute agrees with me on this. As do the NFL's lawyers.

My opinions regarding people's character =/= the ability of a prosecutor to convict that person of a crime.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:

Well, its undisputed fact that he WAS buying drinks for underage college students, which is a violation of minor laws and the NFL's conduct policies (note: I think a drinking age of 21 is a bullshit holdover from some best forgotten era and makes no sense to me when a person is considered an adult when it comes to voting, criminal proceedings and the ability to join a countries armed forces). Its fact that he followed a 20 year old that he'd been feeding booze to, into the john and locked the door, which means at the very least he got her drunk to try and bang her, which isn't illegal in most cases but still a sleazy thing to do.

I just hope Dixon gets a shot while Ruthlesspecker is suspended: I liked what I saw in the emergency action, last year against Baltimore... maybe with some real practice and prep time he can be a number one and they can get rid of Big Ben like most of Western PA wants...
Wulfran Moondancer
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

She was committing a crime by using a fake ID to get into those places. Saying he was feeding drinks to someone underage is kind of silly when this girl should not have been in the bar to begin with and was violating several laws. The real issue is, he should have been at home watching tape on how to dump the ball when a sack is inevitable and calling hookers. If he ever walks back into a bar or is drinking anywhere again, they should dump him.

I still think if he doesn't straighten up that he will end up in Oakland. The ideal trade would not be for picks, but would be a straight up trade for Nnamdi Asomugha. With that lockdown corner, the Steelers would not need a QB, they could simply play for one FG a game and take a 3-0 win.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

I'm just curious what Denver is up to first trading for Brady Quinn then drafting Tebow...how many QBs do they think they need in the mountains? They planning on losing some in some avalanches or something? Or are they going to feed one to the other in the hope their attributes will combine into one super QB? I mean sure, there are questions with both of these guys, as to what they can actually do, but if you don't believe in them, why bring them in in the first place?
Wulfran Moondancer
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I think McDaniels is trying to construct a fleshy VOLTRON.

I still think Brandstater (2009 draft, Fresno St.) has better skills than Orton and Quinn.

Tebow is a curious pick, and will make or break Coach Josh's success in Denver.

---

Back to "Dixon for Steelers QB 2010!"

I really like this kid as I had an opportunity to watch him play with the Ducks. They were making a beeline to the Rose Bowl until he blew his ACL playing against Arizona. I think he would have been a first-rounder. He also was a helluva baseball player.
en kærlighed småkager
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

If I am the Rams today, I trade second round 33 or package their 2 third round picks and grab Haynesworth from Washington. Why not take a proven talent over a pick. Haynesworth is still young and 2 years ago was the best lineman in the NFL. He had a so-so season, but he still has upside.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's too early for a final grade, but so far the Cardinals have had the best draft.

Best D-Line in the NFL!

Fanboiiiiiiii!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

What a wave of emotion being a Browns fan. I was cussing at them for two whole picks, especially after they picked that ass from UT. Getting McCoy at 85th was sooo sweet though.
Fuck Michigan!
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Well, I'm getting more and more curious as to how this coming season is going to turn out in Steel Town. They seem to have made efforts to address almost every weakness they showed last year. They brought in help on the O-line, including Maurkice Pouncey in the first round and a tackle in the 5th round, to galvanize the run game and give the QB better protection. They drafted a corner in the 5th round and traded to bring back McFadden from Arizona, when the secondary looked shaky last year without Polamalu. They jetisoned Santonio Holmes but brought in Battle, Randel El and drafted a couple in the 3rd and 6th rounds. Nothing says this all works out as they would like but they made at least some of the right steps. The big question (from last year's performance) is whats going to happen for them on special teams.

I was amazed by the number of people that thought Big Ben was gonna end up in Black and Silver but I guess Al Davis wasn't as crazy as some thought...

As an aside, my wife and I took the boys down to Heinz Field yesterday for the draft event and celebrations and it was a blast! Damn some of those boys are huge! We got a great picture of my 7 month old registering his first tackle on Heinz Field turf, and his big brother had a great time too.
Wulfran Moondancer
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Wulfran wrote: They drafted a corner in the 5th round and traded to bring back McFadden from Arizona, when the secondary looked shaky last year without Polamalu.
McFadden sucks something awful. There's a reason the Cardinals (not a great pass defense team to begin with) traded him back the Pittsburgh. Watch tape of the playoffs last year. McFadden couldn't stop anyone.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I thought you lived in Calgary, Wulfie? When ya move to Pitt?
en kærlighed småkager
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Last June.

Wife couldn't move because of shared custody of her 12 yr old son, with her Ex, so I came to western PA. Little Man was born at the end of August, bought a house 30 miles SE of Pittsburgh in November after my sale in Calgary finalized. Thus, was I converted to a member of the Steeler Nation (I always liked em but same with a lot of teams). Still waiting on my greencard and work authorization though...
Wulfran Moondancer
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yinz don't have a choice once you move there. We put in for the ticket lottery again this year....fingers crossed on getting tickets for a prime time game.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Wulfran wrote:Last June.

Wife couldn't move because of shared custody of her 12 yr old son, with her Ex, so I came to western PA. Little Man was born at the end of August
Little Man is a cool name for a kid but unless he's really short as an adult, that name is going to cause him some grief!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Ah I see. Well, at least you like the home team. You'd have issues otherwise. :D

Careful of those folks in the Cinci/Columbus, OH area though... :P
en kærlighed småkager
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Kilmoll is right, yinz don't get no choice: ya get a Primanti Bros sandwich and a Stillers jersey when ya get off the plane... (my Pittsbughese is still weak though)
Canelek wrote:Ah I see. Well, at least you like the home team. You'd have issues otherwise. :D

Careful of those folks in the Cinci/Columbus, OH area though... :P
Tell me about it. I never cared for the Browns or the Bang-als so that wasn't going to be an issue, but man did my contractors working on the house give the gears about cheering for the Isles and not the Pens :p It was only hockey and I pride myself on being able to lose graciously but I can only imagine in football season: EVERYONE has a flag or banner or something and on game days when you go out, you can count the people without Steelers colors of some type. Listening to WDVE, the guys were saying it was kinda too bad that everyone was so worked up over Big Ben that they were almost ignoring the Pens beating Ottawa, but even though they love the Pens, the Stealers are King all year long.
Wulfran Moondancer
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

There really aren't that many Penguins fans in the burgh. I'd say its roughly 1/4 the # of fans the steelers have...which is still a lot by all standards, but its not like in Detroit, or Ottawa, or Montreal where hockey is king. The rest you see in pittsburgh right now are just fair weather fans. Have loved hockey and football since I was a kid growing up in Pittsburgh, I know.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I will say this....Saturday night before a game up there in that center across the river from the stadium is pretty awesome.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I think it's more properly spelled "youns." Gotta get the big midwestern O in there, otherwise you sound like one of those assholes from Philly.

p.s. Seeing one of the boys from old Florida go to my favorite NFL team in the first round almost made me dance.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I have a feeling Pouncey is going to be one of those super rare rookie starters for Pitt this year. I really liked the move to get Mcfadden back...he will be solid in a real defense. Getting him along with Polamalu and Aaron Smith back is going to be like adding 3 Pro Bowl players to the defense they had last year. I can also see Dwyer making the roster and getting playing time as the season progresses. My hope is that Rooney kicked Tomlin and Arians in the heads in their meetings and demanded a fullback package be brought in so Frank the Tank can pummel people up front for Mendenhall and Dwyer.

Any bets on Leftwich starting the first 4 games with some sprinkling of Dixon running the Wildcat with Randle El lined up in the backfield as well? Anyone?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I think Dixon can beat out Leftwich in camp.

Tebow will be Denver's starter by game 4. McD is all in, anyways--may as well go for broke. Orton will not get them over the hump.

Russell will attempt to go back to college, and wonder why they will not let him come back.

Brett Favre will wind up in Arizona, further shaming Leinart.

Kansas City will still suck.

Tampa Bay will still suck.

Seattle will still suck, despite good draft.

---

I agree on Pouncey. Kid has skills.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Updated: June 1, 2010, 5:34 PM ET

Eagles' Jackson will miss rest of season

PHILADELPHIA -- Eagles starting free safety Marlin Jackson suffered a ruptured right Achilles tendon in practice Tuesday and will miss the rest of the season.

Jackson, who has a history of leg injuries, had to be taken off the field in a cart.

Jackson, who left the Indianapolis Colts to sign with the Eagles in March, suffered season-ending knee injuries the past two seasons and had surgery on both knees.

He missed the second half of 2008 with a torn ACL in his right knee and tore the ACL in his left knee in 2009.
ouch, that's gotta hurt an already reeling Eagles team.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm a Beanie Believer!

There's something about a player escaping the midwest that gives them a second chance at life.

Take a look at Beanie Well's 2009 highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=581omQencPs

Good god man! Keep in mind Beanie is giant for a RB at 6'1 230lbs.

Watching those highlights demonstrates Beanie has outside speed, great vision, extremely hard to tackle, and power.,,and stiff arms!

I hope he gets a lot more carries this year and Hightower sticks to third and long. I also hope Beanie is cured of fumbalitis.

Stat-wise....Beanie could be really really good this year. Add Faneca to an already good O-Line and consider Arizona has a very easy schedule vs the run.

PROS:

Power
Speed
Vision
Hard to tackle/great moves
can run inside or outside of the tackles

CONS:

played college call at OhioSU
fumbles
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

I like beanie wells, too bad he's stuck on a shitty team...
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xyun wrote:I like beanie wells, too bad he's stuck on a shitty team...
Making it to the Super Bowl and then NFC Championship game is shitty? One Team in the NFC can claim better over the past 2 years and that's the Saints. Solid Coach and solid draft = continued winning this year.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Wells was a great pick for the Cards last year. Hopefully he continues to improve.
en kærlighed småkager
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Wow the Cardinals are going to suck as bad as the Diamondbacks this year. Looks like a bad year to be Winnow.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

watching leinert is fucken painful. he just sucks. i see derek anderson starting eventually down there, and he had one great year, followed by shit tons of disappointment. Is Kerry Collins available somewhere? If Whisenhunt doesn't find a QB out of what he has, the Cards are going to find out just how "good" warner really was in that system, and irreplaceable.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Maybe he should learn how to throw right-handed...
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Wow the Cardinals are going to suck as bad as the Diamondbacks this year. Looks like a bad year to be Winnow.
They've looked bad, especially at the QB position. I was hoping the running game would be good with Beanie but the O-Line isn't getting the job done right now.

The Cardinals will still take their division with the 49'ers being the only competition.

Cardinals need to find a new QB for the future quick. Leinart looks lost and uninterested out there.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

If only the Cardinals were able to have gotten Favre they might have had a chance this year.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--