Resonance of Fate 360/PS3

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Resonance of Fate 360/PS3

Post by Winnow »

As a JRPG, this game looks very interesting.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... anceoffate

I'm out of blanks, need to get some more!

Anyone going to give it a shot?

Here's Japanese Battle Tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiaY0ZbhfQE
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Re: Resonance of Fate 360/PS3

Post by miir »

I picked it up.
So far it's really fucking cool.
Gotta figure out how to balance playing this, FF13 and EQ2.
HA!
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I'm having a hard enough time figuring out how to balance the awesome of the Bad Company 2 Multi-player, finishing up the SP and playing FF13 as it is.

I've been spending SOOO much time in BFBC2 Multiplayer.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I've noticed!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

The wierd thing is that I usually suck at FPS multiplayer games. At this one I don't suck and actually do quite well pretty frequently.

I've also encountered a lot less douchebaggery on the PSN than I usually do on Xbox Live. I frequently play with the same group of people so that may help but the lack people owning and using microphones is definately a plus.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Ug, this is pulling me away from FF13.
The combat is hypnotic.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Unlike previous Tri-Ace games, the english voice acting is superb!

Nolan North: Best known as the voice of Nathan Drake but also did work on Army of Two: 40th Day, The Saboteur, Halo 3: ODST, Assassin's Creed II, InFamous and Dragon Age: Origins.
Scott Menville: Various movie and tv voice work as well as working on Final Fantasy XII, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, Metal Gear Solid 3 and DOOM 3
Jessica Di Cicco: Has done work on Bleach as well as Kingdom Hearts II, Psychonauts and Midnight Club.

And if you still don't like the english voice acting, you can choose the original japanese dub.

Combat is deep, challenging, cinematic, stylish and ridiculously over-the-top. Picture the Matrix on acid.
Weapon mods are outrageous. I have 3 scopes on one of my guns.
There's an arena to practice your combat strategies and farm coins and cash.
The setting/gameworld is sweet. I love the steampunk style.
Opening up the world map is it's own meta game.

The only negative so far is that the story isn't very interesting.
The interplay between the characters is cool... but not particularly compelling.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Graphically, nothing could possibly eclipse FF13 or Heavy Rain.

Combat mechanics wise, this game is a lot more interesting (and difficult) as its balance is a lot different than most RPGs. The story is cryptic and another Japanese commentary on religion, but its pretty unique in how it approaches it. Its also a complete reversal from FF13 in that the combat is very unforgiving for newcommers, compared to the 10 chapter cock holding tutorial that was half of FF13. I liked FF13, but I have to say that this is the better game of the two, which suprises me since I have liked most FFs that others have generally disliked (FF8, FF12) the best.

Off topic, someone really needs to make a game like Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre again. Those were some of the best story and combat games ever made and I can still replay them and enjoy them. Tactics Advance had some flaws, but it was close. Is everyone so twitch game addicted that strategic turn based RPGs are gone for good?
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Graphics are good, not great. I really like the look and feel of the world with all the clockwork gears and such. The gun combat is a nice change from the majority of JRPGs, but this game continues the JRPG trend of being hard for me to get in to. I did the tutorials in the arena and added a scope to my first gun with found supplies. The modification of the guns has been what has drawn my interest the most so far. The combat is unique as well, and a nice change of pace from other JRPGs that I own. I played 1 hour and have no idea what is really going on, what the greater motivations of my characters are, or really a sense of what the "big picture" of the game is. I am intrigued enough to want to continue though, so that's something!

Looks like you get to play dress up a lot with all of the characters. I'm not exactly certain why, but I thought that would be something Winnow would like about the game.

Anyone have an idea of how long the game is for a single play through? Just due to the lack of real development at this point, I'm thinking it's going to be a long one.

EDIT: Out of all the games I just got, this is probably at the bottom of the list. JRPGs used to be my absolute favorite genre, but perhaps it's time I realize that they no longer hold the appeal they once did for me. I have a shelf full of JRPGs and I haven't beaten a single one this generation. At least it was cheap. This was another 15$ game thanks to Amazon's deal of the day.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

it can be a long game. its definitely 25 hours. There's a lot to do that you don't have to, in order to complete the game...but there are several spots of having to grind up some levels to get yourself a bit more powerful, and to loot enough of the damn sphere things to unlock the whole levels and stuff. There's definitely a ton to do that you don't have to, though.

The combat does get boring after a while. yes its new, yes its exciting and fun, yes to all those great things about it...but like anything, after doing it 500 times, you really wish there was an auto attack. Although the gun combat is such a nice change of pace from swords and magic. The gun customization is bazaar though...I think I remember having a barrel attachment that had the gun shooting back at me...

The challenge level is perfect, in my opinion, never easy, but not impossible, just takes some tactics and landmark manipulation. that part is perfect. TriAce did good by me on this one. Compared to what is supposedly passing as JRPG's nowadays, this one actually is a JRPG.

I'm with you, I have a pile of supposed JRPG's for 360, but besides this one and Lost Odyssey, I just can't really get into them. They just aren't very JRPG'ish to me. Action/Adventure where you choose your equipment is not RPG...especially when its not free roam.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, my biggest pet peeve with JRPGs are the save systems. I hate not knowing when/where I can save and I hate the inconsistent nature of when saves are even available. If I could simply save whenever I wanted, I promise these games would get a hell of a lot more playtime from me.

I'm playing 3D Dot Heroes and you can save whenever you want in that game. Hence, I am playing that over my 10ish other, more worthy RPGs. It's easy to drop in and out of.