Books for kids?

It's the most wonderful time of the year.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Books for kids?

Post by Sylvus »

Okay, I just had an idea that I think is brilliant. Since most of my nieces and nephews are asking for video games for Christmas, I think I'm going to get them each a game and a book, because I think that reading is important for youngsters. I read all the time when I was a kid, and I think it made me smarter than a lot of my peers that didn't read. I may even build in some sort of incentive for them to read the books. Maybe I could make their birthday presents contingent on a book report...

While I have some decent ideas for books for boys to read (I'm for sure getting some Encyclopedia Brown books for my oldest nephew; I loved those), I haven't the foggiest idea for what girls like to read. Anyone have suggestions, either books you read when you were young, or new books you've seen since then for your daughters or relatives or whatever? The girls are 8 and 11.

Thanks!
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Re: Books for kids?

Post by laneela »

It's 7:00 am so my brain is not yet fully functional but I used to love reading when I was younger..In 2nd and 3rd grade (your 8 year old is probably in 2nd?), I was HUGELY into Shel Silverstein. Where the Sidewalk Ends being a classic which I'll still open up and read every once in a while. And I remember loving me the Time Quartet series (A Wrinkle in Time) when I was a bit older.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I agree that reading is important and the earlier they start, the better.

Even reading comic books at a very young age gave me a head start on most of the readers in my grade level as I progressed through grade school.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, I got my hands on John Norman Gor novels at a very young age which warped my fragile mind early!

On the plus side, it was written for adults which expanded my vocabulary immensely, and had very descriptive writing which pushed my imagination. Norman would go off on tangents lasting pages detailing cookware and how it was used in Gor for example. The point being, he took the time to explain how a lot of things functioned, which is very helpful to a kid full of questions.

Ignoring the obvious desire not to corrupt your nephews, Encyclopedia Brown novels (discussed elsewhere i search works. actually this thread mentions them and also brings back some Pils memories at the same time: E-Brown), from that thread, it sounds like you're familiar with them already) also helped me at a young age. They may not be in vogue now, but any "detective" type books are good for getting young minds to think. I consider them much more helpful than novels more designed to sit back and enjoy.

Find some kids books that are full of adventure but also have some science and parts that make them think. If you want to mess with their lives, accidentally leave a copy of "Assassin of Gor" lying on a shelf in their bedroom. (or Tarnsman of Gor if you want to start the series from the beginning!

Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

Ender's Game

Edit: I thought you said boys, I have no idea how much girls would relate to the book, since almost every character is a boy. Most of the adult women I know who read the book enjoyed it, I just don't know how much it'd do for an 8 or 11 year old girl. I'm leaving the suggestion there though.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

One of the series someone else recommended to me was called Artemis Fowl, anyone read that? Do you think an 11 year-old girl would like them?

From what I see on Amazon, they seem relatively popular. I definitely don't want to go the Twilight route; I don't want to encourage her to grow up to be The Crazy Cat Lady. :p

Go Blue!
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

Also, I recently read The Hunger Games, it was ok and the main character was a young girl. I think it might be ok for 11, but maybe not for an 8 year old. It's part of a 3 book series, I've only read the first book, but I believe the second is out already.

Not near as good as Ender's Game, but just another book I've seen recently that wasn't too difficult and mildly interesting.

Just get them World War Z, finally read that after seeing it pop up in the reading forum a few times and loved it, but I think I'm a sucker for post apocalyptic stories (which The Hunger Games has a bit of).
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

I really liked The Hunger Games as well. It's for boys and girls, but the protagonist is a girl, though it took me a while to figure that out. The second book in the series is Catching Fire.

I also liked the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld, but it's not exactly difficult reading. It's better written but easier to read than Twilight.

I liked Ender's Game as a child, but the books that stood out to me had female protagonists, like A Wrinkle in Time and Number the Stars.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

You know, I've gotten a lot of recommendations for A Wrinkle In Time. I read those books when I was a kid, and while I remember liking them, I have absolutely no recollection of what they were about. I may go that direction.

Thanks!

Go Blue!
Jarori Bloodletter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Jarori Bloodletter »

Ftw!
Eq1
Jarori Bloodletter (retired)
Emgug 85 Cleric
Fugara 85 Shaman
Jardoeni 85 Beastlord
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I only recommended The Pigman because it was the only book I read when I was younger. I've read four more since.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

When I was in the 10-11 range I was reading Night Shift and Cujo as my mother was a big Steven King fan at that point. I sorta grew out of Mr King shortly after those as his stuff just seemed to get a bit boring. Probably too boring for an 11 year old so cross that off the list!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
rhyae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by rhyae »

It's been so long that most of the stuff I read is probably no longer in print but I read anything with animals in it.
Black Beauty
The Black Stallion
White Fang
Spunky (by Dori Brink)
Any of the books by Beverly Cleary (Ramona Quimby age 8, etc) or The Mouse on the Motorcycle
Much Ado about Aldo
The Hoboken Chicken Emergency
The Abandoned
Charlotte's Web
The Borrowers
The Secrets of NIMH
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or any Roald Dahl book
Little House on the Prairie series

Man, brings back memories!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

If you want them to cry, give them "Where The Red Fern Grows".