Torchlight

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Torchlight

Post by Winnow »

http://www.torchlightgame.com/

If you're a Diablo type fan, check this one out.

It's only 700mb and reminds me of Battle Heroes look with cartoony avatars)

The interface is very smooth.

game play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghQBj6Gfn10
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Torchlight

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I cannot believe they released this game without multiplayer:(
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I played Diablo 1 already. The demo for this was cute but I got bored 10 minutes in. Frankly Titan Quest did this better.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

I enjoyed it, even bought it....and i didnt like Diablo 2, and uninstalled Sacred and Titans Quest within an hour of installing them :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Hesten wrote:I enjoyed it, even bought it....and i didnt like Diablo 2, and uninstalled Sacred and Titans Quest within an hour of installing them :)
Did you find Torchlight more enjoyable than Sacred and Titans Quest?
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Perfect game for laptop gaming IMO.

The Steam deals the past couple of days have been completely insane. I picked up this, Trine, Plants vs Zombies, STALKER, The Unreal Package (5 games), and Mahjoung Quest for less than 40$.

Fuc, I went ahead and bought the THQ complete package for 75$. That's 19 games right there. I own several of them, but now I can give the disc versions to my dad and count it as an Xmas gift.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Torchlight for FIVE BUCKS!

Go get it!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/41500/
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Thanks for the heads up dude, I've been waiting for that to go on sale :D
Zygar_ Cthulhukin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Zygar_ Cthulhukin »

Yeah, thanks. Just picked it up.
{{{(>.<)}}} (o.o) \\(^o^)// --- I DID IT!!!! -Hiro
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Was really disappointed that this didn't have multiplayer, but apparently they're talking about the sequel having it.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

360 version to be released on the 9th. $15. It wont be making it's way to PS3... Denied!
Q: Will Torchlight be released for the PS3 / PSN?

A: There are no PS3 plans at this time. Microsoft is acting as the publisher for the XBLA release.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I'll double dip on this for the 360. I'm curious how they made this type of game more controller friendly. The developer diaries have promised completely reworked and tuned controls and menus for the Xbox. This may be a preview of how Diablo 3 will work on consoles!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Q: What has been changed to make the game work on the 360?

A: The UI is COMPLETELY overhauled from the ground up. Nothing works the same. All new art and navigation. The concept of item ’slots’ is done away with – you just have a number of items you can hold ( 50 – ignores stack counts ). Potions and scrolls stack up to 99. Potions ‘auto pick’ the best potion to heal you or regen mana. You don’t have to think about it or map it. We iterated on the UI a ridiculous amount.

You can have 4 active mapped skills at a time, and a secondary set that you can swap between (using the dpad) for 8 mapped skills. Most of us actually find it easier to use a variety of skills on the console vs. PC, oddly enough.

Force feedback is in for quakes, strikes, low health heartbeats, and tugs on the fishing line :) Feels nice.

Q: How are controls different?

A: Control is direct – no virtual cursors ever. Combat is a little different – you move forward slightly with melee attacks and all the attack animations are redone to support this. You don’t ‘target’ enemies – you’ll get a red highlight for a ‘primary’ target that is in range, but for melee attacks you hit everything in your damage cone (secondary targets get secondary damage ). Feels natural and does what you expect.

Ranged combat is actually in many ways easier – kiting and dodging are significantly more viable with a controller and the autotargeting for ranged attacks works pretty well. ‘lobbed’ skills mapped to the triggers have a default distance, but you can finesse them for longer or shorter throws by holding the trigger at a given depth. Combat pace feels ‘faster’ and more maneuverable. If you’ve played classics like Dark Alliance or Champions of Norrath, you have the general idea ( but no jumping ). Movement speed is analog – you can move slower by easing on the stick, something you can’t do at all on PC.

Q: Has anything been removed/added for the console version?

A: No skills have been omitted. Some skills have had alterations to their functionality to make them feel better ( i.e. you don’t select corpses to summon a Nether Imp – you just cast it and if there’s a corpse around, there you go ).

Pretty much everything from the PC version is here. We didn’t remove any features, with the exception of secondary weapon sets, because there was no way we could find that didn’t feel horrible in inventory management. Socketing, enchanting, fishing, the infinite dungeon, item combination, are all represented.

We brought over some goodies from TL2 to the console version. Loading times are much reduced. Better animation blending makes combat snappier ( hard to describe, but you’ll probably feel it ). Automaps are brought over from TL2’s new automap system ( They are rendered out and much more readable, and icons cleave to the borders of the ring ). In addition, there are three new armor sets (one for each class), some new random quests for one of the miners in town, and a new pet – the Chakawary.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I like the Xbox controls much better than the PC version. The menus? Not so much...
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I downloaded the demo but haven't had a chance to try it. Apparently the most common complaint, other than no multiplayer but considering it's a port of the PC version I'm not sure anyone expected that, was that the text is rather small and hard to read.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I played the demo a few days ago and it was alright. I don't know how the menus were in the PC version but they seem fine in the 360 version although tedious when it comes to inventory management. I also don't think the text is too small but I was playing on my computer monitor and not sitting 6 feet back on the couch. I like mindless hack and slash type games and I think this is something I would finish. However with not a lot of free time at the moment I might just wait and get it whenever it goes on sale for $7.50 or whatever. Or maybe by then just get TL2 instead if it's out. Only thing is it has only been announced for PC and Mac but I imagine it would get a console version eventually.

The demo lets you play the first four dungeon levels so it's pretty good in letting you determine if you'd want to buy it or not. The only thing missing is I don't think they did a very good job with describing the augmenting your items (or whatever they call it I can't remember) system. The documentation in general is a bit thin but for most things you don't need to know much.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The PC version is just a drag and drop inventory. The xbox version adds loads of menus separated by type. Granted, once you get used to it, it's really not that bad. It seems to have a "smart cursor" of sorts, skipping past everything you have equipped and starting on the first piece of loot in every category as you scroll. On normal, the game is a cakewalk. I really suggest bumping up the difficulty a notch or two. I wish I had on my first run as a warrior.

I'm having a lot of fun with this. I can tell what they've added from the PC version and I appreciate all the little details and fine tuning they incorporated into the 360 release. I really look forward to the sequel. Playing alone just isn't as much fun.