Undead (2002) DVD review

Why can't witches have babies? Because their husbands have hallo-weenies.
For scary, spooky or other Halloween-related posts.

Moderator: Fairweather Pure

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Undead (2002) DVD review

Post by Fairweather Pure »

After having recently rewatched Rogue, I was feeling brave when it came to lesser known Australian horror, so I took a chance buying Undead from Amazon.

A small town in Australia is hit with meteors that turn people into flesh eating zombies. The survivors meet up at the home of a crazed, gun toting local who has been preparing for just such an occassion after he was kidnapped by aliens. They eventually leave the house and make the discovery that perhaps the crazy local isn't so crazy afterall...

The movie is advertised as being kind of a tongue in cheek zombie movie in the same way as Peter Jackson's "Dead Alive" ("Bad Taste" to non-Americans ie: terrorists). I guess that's an ok comparison to make as long as it refers strictly to the dark humor and in no way compares it to anything else that is the awesomness of "Dead Alive". The movie has a couple of problems holding it back. It's either absurd or funny, but never absurdly funny. Long stretches go by without anything remotely funny taking place and then you have a silly comment being made from one character to the other as if to remind you that this is supposed to be funny. Also, the special effects were a mixed bag of either barely passable or just plain terrible.

It's as if the creators thought of cool shit they wanted in the movie and added it as they went along. "Do you know what would be cool?" "Let's put 4 shotguns linked together in the movie so they all fire at once and it cuts zombies in half!". This kind of stuff happens at random, for no reason, far too often, and with no explaination what so ever.

You know what really I hated? The picture on the box cover is like, the last scene in the fucking movie. I hate that shit.

It's hard to recommend this one because it's so disjointed. At least they tried to spice up the zombie genre a bit with an original idea (too orignial?). My wife rolled her eyes through the entire movie and ended up reading a magazine while I finished the last 30 minutes. Hardcore zombie fans should give it a rental, everyone else should pass. Undead gets a 4/10