Deathwatch (2002) DVD review

Why can't witches have babies? Because their husbands have hallo-weenies.
For scary, spooky or other Halloween-related posts.

Moderator: Fairweather Pure

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Deathwatch (2002) DVD review

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I looked for this movie locally for ages, gave up, and eventually ordered it from Amazon.

The story is set during WW1. A group of British soldiers gets cut off from it's detachment after going over the wall for some good old fashioned trench warfare. The group ends up discovering a mostly unguarded German trench. They take a prisoner and settle in to wait for the British Army to catch up to them. There's only one problem... THE TRENCH IS FUCKING HAUNTED DUDE!

Amazingly, it works.

The setting is the classic formula of seclusion, paranoia, and disturbing setting. The setting of the WW1 trench actually steals the show. It's nothing but mud, rain, rats, and barbed wire. At one point, I actually felt sorry for the actors in this movie because they were shin deep in mud and had so much rain being poured over thier heads that it would stream in thier eyes and over thier mouths as they talked. It rained the entire fucking movie too! It must've been cold too beacause I could see thier breath on the air whenever they spoke at night time. This movie must've been absolute hell to make.

As the creepy stuff starts happening, it's done rather convincingly. It starts small, with noises and shadows, but eventually ratches up to some respectable effects and original scares. It's best to think of this movie as a 90 minute episode of The Twilight Zone/Tales From the Crypt/ect.

It might have gone on about 10 minutes longer than it needed, but overall this was a very enjoyable movie. It gets a solid 8/10 from me.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Deathwatch (2002) DVD review

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Now streamIng on netfix, check it out!