Mexican Dishes

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Mexican Dishes

Post by Sylvus »

I'm having a bunch of people over to watch football tomorrow, and I've decided to make it Mexican themed. Anyone have any EASY recipes I might be able to use? I was thinking of doing tacos, but I'm open to suggestions for modifications to traditional tacos or other dishes entirely.

Ease here is key; I've got plans tonight so I'm only going to have a few hours in the morning to clean the house and begin prepping food.

Thanks!
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Mexican Dishes

Post by Aslanna »

I'm a fan of 7 layer dip. Doesn't look too hard. Burritos are pretty easy too!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Aslanna wrote:I'm a fan of 7 layer dip. Doesn't look too hard. Burritos are pretty easy too!
That's funny, I've made that exact recipe (from that same URL) for the last 3 tailgates we've had. :) If you use that recipe, I recommend mixing in a can of diced green chiles (with the juice) into the refried beans when making it. Helps make it spread easier.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

$20 and a run for the border for a boatload of Taco Bell tacos . That keeps with the themes of "Mexican" and "Ease".
- Ash
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

If you have a crock pot and want easy, I suggest carnitas. :) You can cook it overnight! There are a few threads here about that, but I am sure one of us can help out. Add a couple homemade salsas and a stack of tortillas and you are in business!
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Don't forget the pico! Pico > Salsa .
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

The site has been redesigned (in a horrible way), but I have used some recipes from http://www.tuldys.com before...what sucks, more than the redesign, is that the recipe pages are not back up yet :(
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

A little late for your party, but I made these the other night and they were pretty good. I was somewhat apprehensive due to the simplicity of the recipe, but they were tasty.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spinach-En ... etail.aspx
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I found a recipe for enchiladas somewhere that rocks my world, I don't have the link or the recipe in front of me so I'll do my best. Sorry for the sloppy layout too, writing recipes/cooking instructions isn't a strong point for me.

You need:
1lb boneless chicken breast
1 Cup frozen corn
1 small can whole adobo peppers
1 small can whole green chiles
1 large (16oz I think) can of stewed tomatos
1 clove garlic
1 red onion (I only use half)
Mexican spice (I found a good Adobo spice I like)
16 medium tortillas
Cheese (it's for sprinkling on top, so how much you need depends on your desired level of cheesiness)
Appx 16 oz or so of enchilada sauce
2 tbsp or so flour
Olive/vegetable oil

1 pan with high sides
2 8x11 (appx) baking pans

Optional garnish:
Sour cream
green onion

Directions:

Prep work -
-dice the onion (I try and get it small as I can)
-cut up half the clove of garlic (I just cut it as thin as I can)
-take out 1 cup of corn to thaw
-chop up the peppers, you will probably also need to de-seed the adobo pepper depending on what you buy

-lightly coat a pan (use one with high sides because of later steps) with oil and heat it to medium. Start to cook chicken, you probably don't need to cook it all the way at this point, but I generally do. Before turning, season the chicken with the mexican spice and maybe some pepper. Season the other side too, try to brown the outside a bit if you can.

-once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan. Reduce to a little less than medium heat, leave pan where it's at (don't drain it or anything). While you are sauteing the garlic and onion in the next step, your going to want to shred the chicken up into small strips. I do it by hand and usually burn myself pretty good, so you may want to cut it or use some other nifty device.

-in the same pan, toss in the garlic and onion. Saute this until it is it's tender (about 5 mins).

-Add in corn and peppers, let it all cook together for another 2-3 minutes. Somewhere about nowish, you want to preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

-Add in stewed tomato, again let this all cook for another 1-2 minutes.

-Add in chicken and cook for another minute or so, HOOKERWHORESLUT a little flour on top of the mixture to make it all set together, mix it in and remove from heat.

At this point, coat the baking pans with a thin layer of the enchilada sauce.

-dump the remaining enchilada sauce into a large bowl, heat the tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds.

-coat either side of the tortillas with enchilada sauce, and put in some of the chicken/veggie mix. You don't fill them plump full or anything, so you kinda need to eye how much you are putting in and make sure you don't run out. Roll them up and set them in the pan.

-Once all the enchiladas are in the pan, dump any remaining enchilada sauce on top of them. HOOKERWHORESLUT cheese over the top.

-Put both pans in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. Basically all you are doing here is setting all the ingredients together and melting the cheese.