Arm Development

Forum for kung fu, and grappling, and dolphins, and street fights, and body building, and.....

Moderator: The Kwon

sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Arm Development

Post by sarlen »

On and off over the last 5 years or so I have been lifting weights and walking on a treadmill to keep my ass from getting to fat. A few times over the years I have tried to actually get some growth in my arms, shoulders, and back but about all I can accomplish is getting the muscles firm but that’s where it stops. I have read several times on the internet and in books that the first few months of any weight training is when you see the most development but it just has never happened. This leads me to believe I’m doing it wrong or I am a “hard gainer”.

I tried to get advice from several message boards but all I seem to get are the extremists who think that if you’re not working out 5 times a day and eating whey powder for every meal you’re wasting your time. What I would like to hear is what has worked for you in the past, any tricks to your workout that seemed to help stimulate some growth. I’m not looking for miracles but I would like to see some development over a 6 to 8 week time frame.
Jarori Bloodletter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Re: Arm Development

Post by Jarori Bloodletter »

I used to use a curl bar, if your familiar with that it works really well, just stood up and did 3 different "curls". Then would use hand barbells with 35 lbs and sat and did curls twisting my wrists as i went up. Muscle n fitness magaize is a great source for information on OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS of development of any body part. you dont have to use powders n crap heh. Just eat well.
Eq1
Jarori Bloodletter (retired)
Emgug 85 Cleric
Fugara 85 Shaman
Jardoeni 85 Beastlord
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Arms, shoulders, back.

My first assumption is that you're

1) not using enough intensity for your biceps. Make them scream. Feel the swell until you think your skin is going to rip off.
2) not diversifying your routine enough. Don't let any muscle groups get bored (especially abs / core imo).

Make it a goal to use back and biceps in the same exercise. Use chest and triceps in the same exercise, etc.

When I started training I would usually focus on one muscle group at a time when I worked out, and I became frustrated with how much effort went into earning such mediocre results. Now, my favorite way to work out is actually a full-body routine which utilizes many different intensities and machines / weights.

For pumping up arms, back and shoulders, here's what my routine (any weight listed is just my current amount) would be comprised of:

~1 mile warm-up run
~2-3 sets bicep curls, max reps 8 per set - the first lift should be the toughest. Swell up.
~1-2 sets military / shoulder press - low weight, high reps, feel the burn.
~3-4 sets shoulder shrugs (55 lb each hand) - very powerful results from well-executed shoulder shrugs. Feel the power course through the upper back near the end of the flex.
~2-3 sets bench press - lower weight, higher reps. Though arms, back and shoulders are the focus of this routine, balancing the workout in a back-to-front sense allows for fewer injuries.
~3-5 sets seated row - one of the best exercises to use a machine for. Really extend the flex (a la shoulder shrugs) for best results. I usually do 80-140 pounds on this one. I find my back is capable of whatever I throw at it.
~4 sets squats, 3-5 reps per set (100-130 lb). Do NOT squat unless you KNOW what to do. A difficult exercise with incredible results. Primary focus is legs / ass with a lot of help for the often under-utilized lower back muscles (and hips and knees for flexibility), but is an awesome workout for arms and back as well because they are clenched throughout the exercise. Generally considered the highest-weight exercise that triggers the most muscle groups.
~0.5-1 mile run / sprint, followed by a series of sit-ups. This last leg is where I will try and kill myself with intensity. Use your last drop of energy and stretch / walk around while you're recovering. Never neglect stretching after a workout.

If I feel up to it after this point, I'll do some more bench presses or play some basketball, but usually I can barely make it to the shower.

Some tips:

Take in a lot of carbs and fat before the workout. The carbs help for the intensity and the fat keeps you going. I like eating bacon, steamed vegetables and a cliff / power bar before a workout when I can.

Take in some protein afterwards. Everybody will tell you something different, but count on taking a minimum of 25 grams after an intense workout or else you're just wasting energy. I use met-rx chocolate protein powder and mix it with acai juice (detoxifier) and water.

Bring a jug of water. Drink a lot during the hour prior to your workout. Drink a lot between sets. Drink a lot afterwards. Reward yourself with something sugary.

It should go without saying, but SLEEP!! Your muscles will never recover without adequate sleep, making your next workout painful and dangerous!

Lastly, don't train at this intensity 5 days a week. 3-4 is more than enough if you're working out well. You will get the best results from a workout when you wake up feeling relaxed and fully recovered from the previous workout.
Breagen
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Breagen »

Deadlifts, nothing will give you a bigger overall back. That should be your #1 exercise along with squats.

High reps and/or sets of chin ups are also excellent for working your back. You can vary them with wide/close grip and vary the actual grip as well to mix it up.

For biceps the various one and two arm standard curls are good but properly done dumbbell preacher curls are my favorite.

For triceps I'd go for dips and start adding weight once you can do body weight ones for reps. Other good choices are close grip bench press and skullcrushers.
Forest Stalker - EQ Retired
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Your most important exercises should be pull ups, deadlifts, bench presses, squats and cleans, if you know how to do cleans safely. Pullups pullups pullups. I wouldn't even bother at all with bicep curls or other bicep isolation exercises until or unless you can do a pretty decent set up pullups, maybe 12 in a row.