Quinoa and Amaranth

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Quinoa and Amaranth

Post by Keverian FireCry »

These two seeds are seriously amazing as far as health goes. They are packed with protein, calcium, fiber and loads of vitamins and minerals. They are also low on the Glycemic Index which means they fill you up for longer so you won't be as likely to be hungry for snacks later on. I'm not on any diet, but all of these things sound pretty much win/win to me and I'd love to have a vegetarian meal at least once a week to balance my relatively carnivorous routine.

The problem is that neither of them have been popular enough to have a very wide range of recipes that make them more interesting. Especially Amaranth, which is the healthiest of the two and hasn't caught on quite like Quinoa.

I'd love to hear of any recipes or particular ingredients that have worked well for you and made either of these guys more exciting?
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Quinoa and Amaranth

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Quinoa is the only complete protein (all 8 amino's in an almost perfect balance) in the grain world, I would say that makes it the healthier of the two reguardless of it's higher fat content. It does need to be rinsed first but come on, so does your rice... please tell me everyone actually bothers to rinse rice... anyways, I eat tons of it, in place of white rice usually. If you can get a wok hot enough it makes great "fried rice" as well.
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson