Price drop leaked

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Price drop leaked

Post by Fairweather Pure »

360 Elites will be dropping to $299 at the end of August. No word on what the other 360's will drop to yet.

I would probably buy a PS3 again if/when they hit the $150-200ish mark. The PS3 slim is around the corner and looking to be priced around 300$ as well. Price wars are great. Just drop the price on the fucking games already.
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Re: Price drop leaked

Post by Sabek »

What I heard was that the 60gig pro is going away and the 120gig Elite is taking its place at the same price.

So after the price change the arcade and elite will be the only price points.

I wonder if this would drop the price of the drives by themselves. Spending 134$ for a 120gb drive when the elite would be 299$ seems dumb.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'd maybe buy a PS3 at $169. Which probably like 4 years off at least. Other than that... I have zero interest in a PS3.

I doubt the other two 360 models will see a drop at the end of Aug. Actually the only drop the Pro is seeing is dropped off the production list. I think at this time they'll just be down to the Arcade and the Elite. Then the one with Natal or whatever in 2010.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

You won't see a PS3 price drop to $200 until they remove the blu ray, wireless, bluetooth, throw in a 10 gig hard drive, start charging you $7-8 a month to play games online and start using shitty unreliable components that fail in 35% of their units.

MS could sell shit in a bag for $150 and you guys would buy TWO!
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

miir is so gay for sony, he eats cocks and shits out dualshocks.

Microsoft doesnt even need to drop the price, they're just doing it to fucking bend sony over even further and take away their price drop thunder.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Thanks for proving my point.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Sabek wrote:What I heard was that the 60gig pro is going away and the 120gig Elite is taking its place at the same price.

So after the price change the arcade and elite will be the only price points.

I wonder if this would drop the price of the drives by themselves. Spending 134$ for a 120gb drive when the elite would be 299$ seems dumb.
They should stop charging so much for PC hard drives, when there really is no difference, and they have the same failure rate.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:You won't see a PS3 price drop to $200 until they remove the blu ray, wireless, bluetooth, throw in a 10 gig hard drive, start charging you $7-8 a month to play games online and start using shitty unreliable components that fail in 35% of their units.
I guess I wont be buying one then.. No big deal to me. Only 2 games I'd actually want to play at this time. Those being Ratchet and Clank.

Blueray? Dont care. Wireless? My machine is 4 feet from my router. Dont care. Bluetooth? I have no BT devices.

miir wrote:MS could sell shit in a bag for $150 and you guys would buy TWO!
That's about how much I paid for the 360 Arcade. I, however, only purchased one. It all comes down to having little interest in the PS3. The price is really only a small part of that.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I think the PS3 has pretty much peaked with it's core audience as well as people that wanted it strictly for blu-ray. Sales should pick up when they drop the price and people start buying it as a second system, assuming they want to buy a second system just for a few games. I have more than enough on the 360 to keep me busy. Things would be different if I was starving for content.

Did you hear that the 360 has sold twice as many units as the Wii in the UK this year? I found that surprising.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

PS3 is crap! Stay away!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aardor wrote:New PS3 slim/price cut rumors this week too:
That was mentioned in the original post!

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

They never seem to leak the price increases:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ms-in ... rice-in-uk
Retailers have told Eurogamer that Microsoft will increase the price of the Arcade Xbox 360 bundle to £159.99 (from £129.99) starting 1st September. The five XBLA games will no longer be included in the bundle, either.

ShopTo boss Igor Cipolletta received confirmation from Microsoft this morning, as did a corroborating independent retail chain source.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

That's hilarious and stupid... a price increase, really?.. awesome. Obviously they believe it's worth more, or maybe the disparity is keeping people from going Elite. Can you imagine if Sony increased the price on the ps3??..
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Sony's Gamescom presser is today in Cologne Germany. The PSN is down today during the show for "maintenance" and K-Mart is advertising a new low price on existing PS3's and something new and exciting.

http://kotaku.com/5339639/kmartcom-new- ... Bupdate%5D
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I heard a rumor that they will also be announcing a firmware update that will give backwards compatibility for all PS3 SKUs.

I bought the collectors editions for Persona 4 and Devil Summoner 2 and they are still sitting, sealed in their original packaging.. mostly because I haven't been bothered to dig up my PS2 and hook it up.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Fash wrote:Can you imagine if Sony increased the price on the ps3??..
If they increased the cost on the PS3 itself, of course it would cause outrage because the things already too goddamn expensive. It's probably the #1 reason why Xbox outsells them every single month. They already raised the price on the PSP.
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Xbox 360 elite drop to $299 officially released.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Next rumor is a 250g xbox packed with 2 controllers and Forza 3 coming out in October.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Next rumor is a 250g xbox packed with 2 controllers and Forza 3 coming out in October.
Interesting.. I might actually pick that up, mine's gotta be on it's way out and I'd rather just get a new one, plus I need a bigger HD, I have the Elite so it has the 120GB or whatever but I'm down to like 15GB free.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

My RRoD'ed Elite was delivered today. Total turn around was one week. I don't even use the 120g on my Elites, no idea what I would do with 250. I only install the 2-3 games I am actively playing and my multiplayer games.

EDIT: It actually arrived on the 9th day from the day I shipped. Still pretty good. I just got it hooked up and configured. I had a card for a free 1 month of gold taped to my system. Thanks?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:You won't see a PS3 price drop to $200 until they remove the blu ray, wireless, bluetooth, throw in a 10 gig hard drive, start charging you $7-8 a month to play games online and start using shitty unreliable components that fail in 35% of their units.
Well.. Dell had them on sale for $275. And then there was the 3% DPA discount.. And Bing had 15% cashback.. So I bought a PS3 for $245 or so shipped (after tax.. hate Dell). Not the $169 mark I was talking about.. But whatever!

I do find it funny thought how some at Sony are saying there might be PS3 shortages this holiday season.. I'll eat my mouse if that happens. Assuming they don't artificially create it.

(Oh and I still don't really have any interest in it other than Ratchet and Clank games. Which someone at work will let me borrow so yay.)

And to add to the price drop rumors... Wii will be at $199! And MS currently has a $50 rebate on the Elite. In addition to the price cut.. So hey good time to buy all three!

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

My post was just potshot at what the 360 offers at the $200 price point. :)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Apparently, Sony has sold 1 million PS3' s in the past 3 weeks. People are arguing of those numbers are a little bit fudged, but who cares it's close enough. That us one hell of a respectful amount of units. It simply proves that their system had a price barrier that was really holding it back. With a couple more months like this, it will render the 360's year long sales advantage quite moot. Of course, we haven't seen the 360 sales numbers yet either, but I don't imagine it will be that high.

If only they would realize this same price issue is going to make the PSPGo DOA. They should knock 100$ off that price and watch them fly off the shelves as well.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Apparently, Sony has sold 1 million PS3' s in the past 3 weeks. People are arguing of those numbers are a little bit fudged, but who cares it's close enough. That us one hell of a respectful amount of units. It simply proves that their system had a price barrier that was really holding it back. With a couple more months like this, it will render the 360's year long sales advantage quite moot. Of course, we haven't seen the 360 sales numbers yet either, but I don't imagine it will be that high.

If only they would realize this same price issue is going to make the PSPGo DOA. They should knock 100$ off that price and watch them fly off the shelves as well.
Well, I would guess a good portion of those sales that Sony got were from people who already own a 360 and are just getting around to buying the PS3 because the price dropped.. I know that's been the case for quite a few people on the board here. Not that that negates the sales, but MS not selling as much this month means a little less when you think of it that way.