Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Holmes

Post by Keverian FireCry »

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/sherlockholmes/

Always love Robert Downey Jr. and at his best, Guy Ritchie has made some awesome movies. I'll definitely be watching this on the big screen.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Holmes

Post by Winnow »

Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Mysterious Double Post!
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

I saw the preview last month...um, this should be interesting to say the least. Really not sure how I'll feel about this bastardizing of such a classic character. You know they had to make sure to get an actor that's on top right now that has a good fan base in order to get people to come watch this. I know that's really the only reason you may catch me watching this.
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Well, most of the earlier stage and film portrayals of Holmes took their own liberties from the original text. For instance, many films make no mention of his addiction to cocaine and morphine. It's one of those classic characters that evolves with the times.

I do think the trailer makes it look too action-packed, but most trailers just show the 'shock and awe' rather than the subtleties that can make a film great. I'm hoping that that trailer pretty much showed every action scene of the film and that the rest will be driven by the characters and their unique detective abilities.

I definitely would have lower expectations if RDJ wasn't in it. We'll see!
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

From what i saw in the trailer, it seems like it is about as faithful to the original novels as The Spirit movie was to the comic (yes, unfortunately just saw that last night :(). It would be a LOT better if people just dropped trying to sell a movie on a name it at best have a fleeting connection to, and just started making the action movies as stand alone movies instead.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Having not read The Spirit nor seen the film, I can't comment on that adaptation...but I do have hope for this film. Like I said, I hope the trailer is meant for the action-loving masses and doesn't show the much of what many of us hope for.
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

For instance, many films make no mention of his addiction to cocaine and morphine.
They do in the BBC versions.
as faithful to the original novels as The Spirit movie was to the comic (yes, unfortunately just saw that last night
That movie is up there with The Happening in my list of movies I'm regretful of wasting 2 hrs of my life.
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I saw this on Christmas and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. I can't say how truthful it stayed to the original stories, but it was very entertaining and I have to admit that I absolutely love Robert Downey, Jr. as an actor. I think the only way you wouldn't like this movie is if you're a hardcore fan of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and you don't feel that it was an accurate portrayal of the original character.

This movie was a lot of fun, I'd definitely recommend it.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Don't forget this Jude Law-dude playing Watson in this movie also plays in the upcoming movie Repo Men, which seems to be quite action-packed!

April 2010 , Repo-Men

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkVSv5SDpyY
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:Don't forget this Jude Law-dude playing Watson in this movie also plays in the upcoming movie Repo Men, which seems to be quite action-packed!

April 2010 , Repo-Men

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkVSv5SDpyY
When I think of Jude Law, I think of the movies Gattaca and AI...oh, and Enemy at the Gates
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Jude Law was also in Road to Perdition, I Heart Huckabees, eXistenZ, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and many other movies. Repo Men looks fun though.

Haven't seen Holmes yet, but probably will see it in the upcoming week or so.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Keverian FireCry wrote:Jude Law was also in Road to Perdition, I Heart Huckabees, eXistenZ, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and many other movies. Repo Men looks fun though.
Well yah, most prominent actors are in a bunch of movies. I wasn't trying to list his entire film list.

When I think of John Travolta, I think "Greese" and Welcome Back Kotter.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

I was responding more to Kwon than to you. Cause it sounded like maybe he hadn't seen Jude Law before. :)
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I saw this on xmas day, I think it could have lost 30minutes and been better.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I saw it today and really enjoyed it. I love how they set things up for future movies as well. Well worth seeing in the theatre.
Mak
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mak »

I liked RDJ, I liked Jude Law. I liked the grittier setting.

I did not like Rachel McAdams at all. I wasn't thrilled with the mystery itself- seemed a little anachronistic.

7/10 from me.
Makora

Too often it seems it is the peaceful and innocent who are slaughtered. In this a lesson may be found that it may not be prudential to be either too peaceful or too innocent. One does not survive with wolves by becoming a sheep.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'm looking forward to seeing this, maybe today. I can't stand Jude Law but Rachel McAdams is all kinds of sexy so she should make up for it.