Most Disgusting Food

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Most Disgusting Food

Post by Bubba Grizz »

that you have eaten?

I was in the Philipines and I had Balute (sp?) What it is, if I remember, is a fermented duck egg where the duck is almost grown inside the egg. You chop the top off the egg and down the whole thing in one disgusting gurgling gulp. Trying not to chew if it can be helped. Hey, I got a shirt for it someplace.

Other than that, maybe a pickled turkey gizzard. When drunk people will eat almost anything.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Sardines.
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

A girl I picked up a long time ago
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

zucchini or spinach...i can't decide
Pilsburry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pilsburry »

Did you know the average human being swallows 4 spiders in his sleep during his lifetime?
-retired-
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Pilsburry wrote:Did you know the average human being swallows 4 spiders in his sleep during his lifetime?

Blech!! Now I cant sleep
Fallanthas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fallanthas »

Kimshi. Nasty shit.

And no, I didn't eat it. As soon as I realized what it was I got up and left the building.
Ajran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Ajran »

Oysters.. god that is nasty...
Caviar also tastes nasty to me..
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Pilsburry wrote:Did you know the average human being swallows 4 spiders in his sleep during his lifetime?
I read a whole bunch of these things. Like what really comes in canned food, and other well known products. Some of the shit will make you go on a hunger strike.
Millie

Post by Millie »

Kipper Snacks are pretty gross. They're sort of a Norwegian version of sardines, only made with smoked herring. My grandfather used to love kipper snacks, and he credited them with giving him a long lifespan (he lived to 98 ). Truth be told, they do have lots of essential proteins and fatty acids, so his claim may not have been very far off. But I'll be damned if I touch one of them ever again. They're so vile they make your head spin.
Masekle
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Masekle »

Anchovies taste even better on their way out
Masekle/Sandrana
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Fallanthas wrote:Kimshi. Nasty shit.

And no, I didn't eat it. As soon as I realized what it was I got up and left the building.

You mean Kimchi?
mmmmmmmm... I love kimchi...

I'd have to say the most disgusting thing I have eaten was sea urchin.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

kimchi is just pickled vegetables. wtf is wrong with that
Fallanthas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fallanthas »

Kimchi is traditionally fermented by burying it in a stone jar for several months.

Gross.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Sea urchin or sea urchin roe? Uni I believe is urchin roe. It's really nasty. Imagine the flavor of cow liver, now remove the every trace of steaky flavors and give it the consistency of Jell-O. /puke :oops:
Millie

Post by Millie »

Kimchi is spiced and pickled cabbage, if I remember correctly. Same thing as sauerkraut, just hotter.

BTW, I <3 sauerkraut (or should I say, "liberty cabbage," for all you die-hard conservatives out there). Good, good stuff.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I fail to see the difference between pickling it in a stone jar and pickling it in a barrel.
Fallanthas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fallanthas »

Personal taste, I guess.

Just the smell of sauerkraut can send me screaming out into the street.

I am a lousy german-american. :D
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

My first step out of the plane at Osan AB in Korea was my first introduction to Kimchi. The entire nation smells like it. You get used to it pretty quick though. As far as eating it? I had no probs with it other than it is very spicey. I could tell you stories about the dog we ate but that wasn't gross tasting just very depressing. We found out after we ate it.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Fallanthas wrote:Kimchi is traditionally fermented by burying it in a stone jar for several months.

Gross.
Fermented/pickled... same thing.... I dont see what's so gross about pickled cabbage.

I'm pretty sure if someone described to you, in detail, how the steak gets to your plate, from the feedlot, you'd be even more disgusted. I lived a few miles from a slaughterhouse about 15 years ago and when they were slaughtering pigs, the spell was vomitous....

A good home made kimchi is incredibly spicy and damn tasty. Restaurant downstairs from me has the best kimchi soup.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Revs
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Revs »

Liver.
I was forced to eat it til I was 14 :evil:
Fallanthas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fallanthas »

Considering I butcher my own meat, that's not too likely, Miir. Feedlots and slaughterhouses are da debil !!

Point taken though. I guess it's what you are used to as much as anything.
Acies
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Acies »

A freshly killed Buck's Heart... The muscle is very tough and gamey and, well, raw does not sit well with me in most cases.
Still, I am glad it just tasted horrendous and there was no naseua.
Bujinkan is teh win!
Millie

Post by Millie »

Revs wrote:Liver.
Liver is tasty. I eat mine with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Revs wrote:Liver.

Same here except I was 9, God that pissed me off :evil: To this day I have never made my kids eat anything like that if they didnt want to.
Hayley
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Hayley »

My dad loves to scramble eggs with pork brains. The pork brains actually come in a can and is sold in the deep south regularly in any grocery store. I thought it was gross!

I like Kimchi. Haven't eaten it in forever but my mom used to always make some and bury them in the backyard. I know I'm strange, but I like the smell of it. :P
Ajran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Ajran »

Liver just has to be cooked right.. overcooked and its just well... nasty
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Millie wrote:Kimchi is spiced and pickled cabbage, if I remember correctly. Same thing as sauerkraut, just hotter.
Some families ferment the cabbage slightly before pickling, both taste pretty good depending on the cook.

Real balutes are duck eggs allowed to mature until the beak and some bone form, then cooked. Sometimes just buried in hot sand, cooks them pretty well. If you get a runny one that's just something to gross out tourists/drunks :)

When it comes down to it, I'll eat just about anything excluding sex organs. Mountain oysters and 24" bull tallywhackers (sold in asian foodstores) just aren't something I'm going to eat. There's very few other things that fall into the food catagory I've disliked. Even lutefisk :roll:
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Millie

Post by Millie »

Aabidano wrote:There's very few other things that fall into the food catagory I've disliked. Even lutefisk :roll:
LOL, don't get me started on lutefisk.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

masteen wrote:Sea urchin or sea urchin roe? Uni I believe is urchin roe. It's really nasty. Imagine the flavor of cow liver, now remove the every trace of steaky flavors and give it the consistency of Jell-O. /puke :oops:
Uni is sea urchin gonads, yes the reproductive organs. Very sublime, sells for a god awful amount, we just pharm em when we ab dive.
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

I can't say that I have ever eaten anything "disgusting".

If it smells and/or looks that bad, no way I will touch it. And I am not really that much of a picky eater - outside of an extreme dislike for the texture of raw and cooked onions ;)

Most disgusting food I have ever heard of though would have to be Balute. Grossssssss!
Fallanthas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fallanthas »

My dad loves to scramble eggs with pork brains. The pork brains actually come in a can and is sold in the deep south regularly in any grocery store. I thought it was gross!
I butcher every year with a couple of crusty old germans. Some of the things they dow with pig parts is pretty disgusting.

I tell em to push that crap over the hill. There is another pork chop standing in the pen. I ain't been hungry enough to eat blood sausage, head cheese, tripe, et al.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

And I ahd cat once, nasty, stringy, gamey... disgusting :evil:
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Lutefisk is instead pretty much what you'd expect of jellied cod; it is a foul and odiferous goo, whose gelatinous texture and rancid oily taste are locked in spirited competition to see which can be the more responsible for rendering the whole completely inedble.
People are just prejudiced.

I forgot about brains and eggs, tastes pretty good, sounds gross. Chitlins smell like shit (imagine that), but don't taste too bad.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Corona
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Corona »

I have a major dislike for beets, okra (slimey!) and a particular asian cucumber like squash known as "bitter melon". Bitter melon used to be my most despised food, especially raw - until I had Durian.

I'm sure some of you have seen this fruit before. It's about the size of a football, light green, and has a spiky, thorny rind. To be honest, I'm not absolutely sure what it tastes like, because the smell of it is so pungent and awful, that's all I could taste when I actually braved a bite of one. Supposedly some people don't mind it, but for me, it had one of the worst odors imaginable. I understand why some countries ban the fruit's presence in public places.
"Ale", 55 Cleric

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
Diae Soulmender
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Diae Soulmender »

Bubba Grizz - ex-Navy?
Khrashdin 80 Protection Paladin
Vox Immortalis - Hyjal-US
#1 World Ranked 10man Strict Achievement Guild
#3 World Ranked 10man Strict Progression Guild
http://www.guildox.com The Premier Guild Ranking Site
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Cream Cheese. I know, I know...everybody likes that shit. Not me no way! I taste it--insta-nausea. I can't be near it at any time at all. Same with cheesecake.
en kærlighed småkager
Ahmik
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Ahmik »

Like Bubba Grizz, I got my first shot of Kimchi (and I like it) when I was in Kunsan AB...

Ya, I ate some dog there too, it wasn't bad at all, but I didn't get surprised with it -- I knew what it was when I started to eat it... couple of shots of Soju and a few OB's and I'll eat anything...

While in South Korea I did notice something that about make me bond over and puke whenever I encountered it -- Koreans gnawing on dried squid... the pungent stench that eminates from dried squid that has been re-hydreated with saliva will make you want to barf your guts out right there on the spot.

Likewise, the smell of Parmesan cheese almost makes me gag too, I can NOT eat in a sit-down pizza place, or anywhere else that this cheese is readily available to anyone that wants to grab the jar and HOOKERWHORESLUT it on thier food. YUCK! (I don't mind if a little is added to food during preparation though) but the smell makes me ill.

btw, ex-wife #2 is half Korean - her mother makes the most aaaaawesome kimchi available anywhere ! she told me that there are two VERY DISTINCT methods of preparation for what are referred to as "summer" and "winter" kimchi. Also, according to her, THE ONLY REASON that the stuff gets burried in the ground at all is simply a matter of realestate management. They have very cramped living spaces, and every square foot is too valuable to be wasted. Like I said, this is what she told me - she may have been pulling my leg...
Ahmik
Just another retired 65 Cleric

Krahl
66 Ranger Extraordinare
Millie

Post by Millie »

Ahmik wrote:...Koreans gnawing on dried squid... the pungent stench that eminates from dried squid that has been re-hydreated with saliva will make you want to barf your guts out right there on the spot.
Heh. They sell dried cuttlefish (a molusk similar to squid) in most convenience stores in Hawaii. My uncle LOVED that stuff. I didn't mind it. It tastes pretty good, but you have to hold your nose when you take a bite. It's got a foul odor that I assume is quite like that of dried squid.
Shanks
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Shanks »

Blood sausage and various pig parts (ears, feet, etc.) in the same meal. Vary nasty.

Edit: In the same meal!!!
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

funny how sea urdgets are suposivly a delacacy and are uber expensive, and when you go scuba diving in the meditarranian up to like 80 feet deep only, the entire ocean floor is coverd in those peices of shit. Also you see schools of them 200 doller fish at the pet stores.
Millie

Post by Millie »

XzionSek'TovaCT wrote:funny how sea urdgets are suposivly a delacacy and are uber expensive, and when you go scuba diving in the meditarranian up to like 80 feet deep only, the entire ocean floor is coverd in those peices of shit. Also you see schools of them 200 doller fish at the pet stores.
They're a delicacy because of how hard they are to prepare, not because of how rare (or common, as the case may be) they are in the ocean. Also, I think only a certain variety of Japanese sea urchin is used in sushi.
Drustwyn
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Drustwyn »

Weirdest thing: Horse meat in Argentina
Grossest: Cow Tongue
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

1000 Year Old Egg (Pidan) would have to be mine assuming that there is no requisite for having swallowed said food...It took a really weird person to decide that this was a good way to prepare duck eggs!...

Weirdest thing that I found that I liked...Hrmmm I'm from Louisiana we eat a lot of weird stuff...:)...Maybe Barbecued Armadillo...
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

I personally wouldn't touch the stuff but around the dinner table when growing up I saw the most bizarre stews - chicken feet and rabbit are the most memorable. Tripe, tongue and brains were also served. Those were mac and cheese nights for me.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
emmer
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by emmer »

The most disgusting food I've had would be lutefisk, easily. I had that shit crammed down my throat thanks to some fucking family tradition up until I hit the age where I was physically able to overpower my grandmother who would shove spoonfulls of it in my mouth... and I'm talking like 10 or 11, she didn't hold back.

I went to this place in nairobi a couple years back called the Carnivore where I had some pretty weird stuff. Zebra, wildebeast, haartebeast, gazelle etc., most of the wild game you can find in the serengeti/masai mara and more, but I have to say the nastiest was eating crocodile. It's like eating a big steak made out of fat. They had some amazing sauces though, and a lot of cats...

hmm.........
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Icelandic food. All of it (fermented meats, fermented sheeps brains served in the skullcase of the animal?).

Live eels...never, ever doing that again. The eels could be served by the female castmembers of [insert some TV show with tons of hawt chicks], naked, and I'd still rather drive my car into a fucking brick wall.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:Icelandic food. All of it (fermented meats, fermented sheeps brains served in the skullcase of the animal?).

Live eels...never, ever doing that again. The eels could be served by the female castmembers of [insert some TV show with tons of hawt chicks], naked, and I'd still rather drive my car into a fucking brick wall.
i bet you like danishes though H4W H4W H4W
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

It is all about Aimish the <3 Danish.
en kærlighed småkager
Cracc
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cracc »

Surströmming, im sure both Drolgin and the swedes of this board will attest to how terribly vile this disgusting dish is.