How about the US!

What do you think about the sports world?
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

How about the US!

Post by Chidoro »

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

Love Jozy, hated that he left the Red Bulls but it was obviously important for development.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: How about the US!

Post by Boogahz »

I caught part of the game over my lunch break, and I never expected the US to make it to the semifinals in the first place. If you take out the two goals, the US team was outplayed for most of the game. They collapsed enough defenders to make Spain work for any decent shots, and that was enough in the end!
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Yeah, I watched it on Espn360 and I also thought the US was outplayed most of the match, but when they got their (few) offensive opportunities they really made them count.

I think Spain had the ball in our end for probably 70-85% of the game. :) Great game for the US defense and the goal keeper, though.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

They totally swarmed on the ball to get those goals. Jozy and Clint fought them to get their shots off. And Tim Howard is awesome in goal, has been for as long as I can remember.

And now Brazil, who embarassed them in the qualifying round.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Well fucking done. I do think Spain got cocky - after 35 games without a loss, they thought they were facing a third-world team (football-wise), but that was some smart and tenacious football. Too bad concentration slipped at a few crucial points in the final. But, I've said it before, anything that puts focus on football/soccer in the US is a great thing for the sport as a whole, so this works for me!

(just know that .dk will totally kick your ass should we face off in South Africa next year)
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I wasn't aware the US was involved in any soccer finals. Is this a big deal? Like the Super Bowl of soccer? Or just a regional thing?
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

It was a fairly minor tournament, but it was impressive that they were able to beat Spain and almost beat Brasil.

The World Cup is the Superbowl of Soccer. :) That starts next year, and happens every four years.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy