I'm in dire need of some car advice

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

I'm in dire need of some car advice

Post by Leonaerd »

2001 Chevy Prism, 120,000 miles. New tires, new struts, decent brakes. Engine busted. Reputable mechanic can do full engine replacement for $2400 (75k miles) or $2200 (100k miles). Given how much better the car drove around 75,000 miles, I'm leaning towards the first option. My question is: should I replace the engine or get a new car? Please please pleasezeez help me out.

I'm prepared to take out a loan and I should be able to get one because I have a pretty good job. My commute to work is one hour there, one hour back. I drive a lot and fuel efficiency is far more important than power. I want to hear my options, because I'm very much in the dark right now. Thankfully I have some friends that I work with that live nearby and have working automobiles or I'd be more fucked than I already am.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: I'm in dire need of some car advice

Post by Aslanna »

If the engine is the ONLY thing wrong with it, meaning everything else would have no problems making it another 100k miles, seems to me the cheaper option would be to replace it. I'd also spend the $200 more for the 75k one. Especially if that comes with some sort of warranty.

However I haven't really priced many new vehicles lately so if something decent can be had in the $12k range I'd probably go new. It depends on what you can afford really. There's also always the option of a 'pre-owned' vehicle. However I don't really trust used but I'm just paranoid that way.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

A new car is out of the question. I trust the used car system and I know knowledgeable people who will inspect whatever car I plan on buying before I buy it, to make sure it's legitimate.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

New cars are for suckers!! :mrgreen: I prefer to let someone else eat the most painful share of the depreciation. I find myself in a similar situation atm, as I'm waiting for word back from my mechanic. I suspect that my trusty, 10 year old truck has a failing transmission (this is, potentially, the first major repair I'm facing with it). I'm hoping that it does not require a replacement/rebuild. I was planning on getting a more practical car before our baby arrives in September, so I'm moving that plan up a bit and am now shopping around for a ~3 year old Subaru Outback or Volkswagen Passat. I plan to pay cash once I find what I'm after (3 year old Outbacks seem to be about impossible to find within 150 miles of Birmingham, btw ><).

Personally, I'd repair the car if you don't have any other issues with it. I'm the kind of person that prefers to drive a car until its death because I have a long list of things I'd rather spend my money on. If it wasn't for the baby situation, I would just eat the repair costs on my old truck.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Do you have any clue what is wrong with the engine? 120k miles is really low to have an engine go, unless the car was mistreated (which seems to directly contradict your knowledgeable people thing). 2.4k for a 75k mile engine is also awful, especially when your current one went at 120k. I would like to blame the fact that it's a Chevy Malibu, but unless that car is particularly bad and I am unaware, you're getting less miles on your engine than people who beat the fuck out of their Mustangs on a daily basis, let alone a car of a foreign make.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Leonaerd wrote:A new car is out of the question.
Then you probalby shouldn't have listed it as one of the options guy...
Leonaerd wrote:My question is: should I replace the engine or get a new car?
Unless you meant a 'new car' as in.. a used car.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

New as in... 'new to him'
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I would take that $2400 plus a little more and buy a used car of similar age which will likely hold up longer. Maybe a smallish Japanese car.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Doesn't the prism use toyota engines? I thought they did and the price sounds right on target for the engines they have available.

While financing has gotten more tricky, I'd probably go for a used car w/ 75k on it if that's a choice. You could probably get a 2004-05 hyundai elantra for like $6k. It's not glamourous but it's probably not back breaking cost-wise and it is newer than your 2001.

As an aside, Xatrei, for 2009, as far as I know, there is no tax on new car purchases. That is a huge deal from a cost standpoint. It's why we're probably going to be buying new to replace my '98 civic w/ 220k(but i've been saying that for 3 years now so who knows).
Last edited by Chidoro on June 11, 2009, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm in the market for a new car probably.. (new as in 'new') so I'd be interested in any sort of details about tax breaks or anything in regards to that.

--
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,, ... 63,00.html

This is what I found. I guess a deduction isn't exactly "no taxes" but it's a beginning.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Chidoro wrote:As an aside, Xatrei, for 2009, as far as I know, there is no tax on new car purchases. That is a huge deal from a cost standpoint. It's why we're probably going to be buying new to replace my '98 civic w/ 220k(but i've been saying that for 3 years now so who knows).
(edit: nm - just saw your followup post) Are you talking about the federal tax credit that basically offsets the local sales, or is there a bigger deal that I might not be aware of (entirely possible since I'm not as up to speed on that as I probably should be atm heh)? If it's just the tax credit, at 3.375% where I live, that ends up only being around a thousand dollars for a new 25-30k Passat or Outback. I'm still liking the ~15k 2006 models better :) I can pay cash for the 2006, but I'd have to finance a new one, and I hate doing that (last car I financed was in 1994 heh).

I think that the original plan was to include a credit for interest charged also, but that got scrapped from the final package. It would be a bigger deal if it still included that.

Edit again:After a little googling, it seems that for me the tax savings would be even less than the ~1k amount, probably closer to half of that or less.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Doesn't the prism use toyota engines? I thought they did and the price sounds right on target for the engines they have available.
Yes.

At the moment I'm leaning towards getting the 75k engine instead of getting a new (used) car. What will seal the deal is if I'm able to get that much money on loan tomorrow, right after I deposit my paycheck and clear the rest of my credit card debt.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

The prism is a Toyota afik, with even half assed maintenance you should get 200k out of the drivetrain. Are you sure it only has 120k on it?

Anyway, if you like the car otherwise I'd go ahead and fix it. Something else for the same $$ isn't going to be any different and you know what's wrong with this one.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

No chance you coulda been more specific with "engine busted" is there. Probably too late now any ways. NECROPOST! I mean really, a bad DIS ($100) or a broken crankshaft ($2200) will both make an engine not work. A "reputable" mechanic woulda fixed the problem with YOUR engine, not sell you a used jap engine fresh off the boat, wich could open up a whole 'nother can o' worms.

By the way i spent the first 30 years of my life buying used cars. I bought 1 new car, and im sold. I will never buy another used car for a daily driver ever again. Yes it's more expensive, but for the $$ you have 100% peace of mind. Never need to worry about a darned thing. By the way for those that dont remeber. I am an auto mechanic, and have been for fifteen years or so. So, this is kinda my area of expertise.
Sick Balls!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Wowwww I came to the VV today with the purpose of updating this thread. You, Noysy, meld future, past and present.

I got the new engine in a few weeks ago now. It sucked at first and sounded like it was making the same clunky noises the old one did, and I got real pissed at all the time I wasted. It wouldn't accelerate properly and kept clunking.

Within a few days the clunky noises went away and the acceleration became up to par. Actually, it accelerated better than it had in the past, since now my car kind of has 30k less miles. This made me happy. I figure that the engine needed time to adjust itself to its new surroundings..?

But my car is not without problems! When I throttle the engine, regardless of how heavily, I'll hear a high pitched whine, almost a wheeze, coming from the engine. It sounds a lot like an airplane taking off towards you (me) but way off in the distance so it's only somewhat noticeable, but definitely not normal. I have a six month warranty and will certainly take the car in, but I want to hear input from teh VV before my mechanic finds something "desperately" wrong with the car.

Again, it runs fine now, probably better than before. I just worry the whining will worsen into grunting and then coughing and then hacking and then finally bronchitis. I want to avoid that.
A "reputable" mechanic woulda fixed the problem with YOUR engine
It was beyond repair. A few car savvy friends helped and tried to find a way that I wouldn't have to replace the engine but it was not to be.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Noysyrump wrote:By the way i spent the first 30 years of my life buying used cars. I bought 1 new car, and im sold. I will never buy another used car for a daily driver ever again. Yes it's more expensive, but for the $$ you have 100% peace of mind. Never need to worry about a darned thing.
At least until the warranty runs out...

Anyway, that's what I've been saying for awhile now. Sure it's nice to not pay the 'new car price' but you also don't get the new car peace of mind. No telling how the person before you drove it or if they took care of it or not. I already have a 'used car' (bought it new though) and it's having problems. Why would I want someone elses junk?

--
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

I just bought the wife a used Mini Cooper Convertible for 19K with 23,000 miles on it. That thing is expensive new and I still have a warranty for 12 thousand miles or so. She loves the damn thing and it has worked out great so far...

of course I just cursed us.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I bought used for years, and have taken Fords, Chevys, a couple each Mazdas and Toyotas past 150k. No unexpected troubles with any of them. As long as you're careful about what you buy it can be a very good deal.

My son's Volvo 240DL was @480k when he sold it, the last ~80k being very rough ones. It's since been turbo-ed and abused further, runs like a champ for the kid he sold it too. I wouldn't expect to be able to do that with current Volvo.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm not saying every used car is crap. The point is you never know. So I choose to take my chances on new over used.

--
Zver
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Zver »

If your car qualifies for "clunkers" program, you can lease a brand new diesel Volkswagen (Jetta I believe) for $99 a month for 60 month. I think that it gets around 50 miles per gallon if not more. Just another option I would think about instead of investing more money into your car.
Jarori Bloodletter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Jarori Bloodletter »

I got me a 1995 1 owner car for $1600.. 134k miles not a bad deal really

007.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eq1
Jarori Bloodletter (retired)
Emgug 85 Cleric
Fugara 85 Shaman
Jardoeni 85 Beastlord
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Don't a lot of murderers drive Camaros?

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Most of them do!
en kærlighed småkager
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Real Camaros are from the 80's.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Aardor wrote:Real Camaros are from the 80's.
I've never been a fan of Camaros or Firebirds, but the one body style that I don't just absolutely hate is that of the original 67-69, especially the convertibles.
Jarori Bloodletter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Jarori Bloodletter »

Xatrei wrote:
Aardor wrote:Real Camaros are from the 80's.
I've never been a fan of Camaros or Firebirds, but the one body style that I don't just absolutely hate is that of the original 67-69, especially the convertibles.

Heres the funny thing.. Ive never owned any chevy products.. ive allways been a ford guy.

1st car was a 66 fairlane 289 hi-pro..

Go figure.. + I dont have 20k + $$ for a 1st gen camaro heh. altho I do like the body styles.
Eq1
Jarori Bloodletter (retired)
Emgug 85 Cleric
Fugara 85 Shaman
Jardoeni 85 Beastlord
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Leonaerd wrote:Wowwww I came to the VV today with the purpose of updating this thread. You, Noysy, meld future, past and present.

I got the new engine in a few weeks ago now. It sucked at first and sounded like it was making the same clunky noises the old one did, and I got real pissed at all the time I wasted. It wouldn't accelerate properly and kept clunking.

Within a few days the clunky noises went away and the acceleration became up to par. Actually, it accelerated better than it had in the past, since now my car kind of has 30k less miles. This made me happy. I figure that the engine needed time to adjust itself to its new surroundings..?

But my car is not without problems! When I throttle the engine, regardless of how heavily, I'll hear a high pitched whine, almost a wheeze, coming from the engine. It sounds a lot like an airplane taking off towards you (me) but way off in the distance so it's only somewhat noticeable, but definitely not normal. I have a six month warranty and will certainly take the car in, but I want to hear input from teh VV before my mechanic finds something "desperately" wrong with the car.

Again, it runs fine now, probably better than before. I just worry the whining will worsen into grunting and then coughing and then hacking and then finally bronchitis. I want to avoid that.
A "reputable" mechanic woulda fixed the problem with YOUR engine
It was beyond repair. A few car savvy friends helped and tried to find a way that I wouldn't have to replace the engine but it was not to be.

Well as for the whining, if it is more like a jet engine whir, probably yer alternator taking a dump, but it could be a mirriade of other things such as rubbing plastic on yer belt, open the hood and look and try to pinpoint the noise. If it's a squeel, then it's the belt, tighten that badboy up.

The only thing that makes an engine beyong repair is possibly unloading a box of fifty cal into it. Every single part is replaceable. I have never recomended a import engine to a customer, and never will. I have had customers request it, then I'll do it, of course informing them that I can make no promises (Labor warantee only).
Sick Balls!
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Jarori Bloodletter wrote:I got me a 1995 1 owner car for $1600.. 134k miles not a bad deal really

007.JPG
Sucker. Hey a mirror fall off yet? Glove box stay open? Possibly the second worse built car in exsistance. Only reason ever to own a camarow is for the V8 VROOM! but i see tiny 6 cylinder wheels on yers. But for $1600 guess it'll do.
Sick Balls!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Bump!

So I finally got rid of my Prizm, now that the brakes are failing. The final straw in a long list of injuries that includes: busted rear struts, busted exhaust manifold, driver's seat that ONLY reclines, broken radio controls, that fucking engine light, and numerous winter-driving hazards (doors don't shut in freezing weather, shocks have zero give so it's like a fucking bouncy ball car). I still own the Prizm, so I'm going to put some work into it and resell it in the fall.

And for less than $3,000 I have picked up this beauty:

*Not my car - image ganked from a website. Mine has the stock rims.

'99 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8L Turbo

Has a moon roof, heated seats, a CASSETTE player, climate control, all leather, and it runs like a dream. I can't wait to upgrade and maintain.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

CASSETTE! You better hope it stays running good.. Probably get whacked when it comes time for repairs.

--
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Indeed. I kept this in mind when considering the purchase.

Turns out the prior owner just put $2k into the car. Nothing was *bad* but now it's optimal. Some replacements could get (ridiculously) expensive, but there is a large aftermarket community in love with this car, and that will help considerably. Also, the car is in immaculate condition.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I hope you have better luck with that car than I did. I've had 2 A4's, both 2001's.

The first I dumped some money in, but didn't have it for long. The second I put around 5k into in repairs. The last straw was the timing belt was about to go, and it was something like a 3k repair. I started looking into the car more as I was having issues and found that the 1.4 liter engines are their problem child, and my experience was far from uncommon. That car is the sole reason I check consumer reports before buying a car.

I'll never buy another Audi unless I can buy it with really low miles and sell it before the factory warranty is up.

Make sure you run full synthetic oil in it, that engine had a recall for issues with non synthetic oils causing serious issues.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I currently drive an extended, black, GMC 2004 Envoy XL. Heated leather seats, bose sound system, dvd player, 8 passenger seating, V8, 4 wheel drive, tow package, the works. I love the thing, but it's an extremely common vehicle around here. My next vehicle will likely be a Suburban with all of the above except bigger and newer. Once I went 4 wheel drive, I'll never go back. The winters are too harsh here in Michigan. Well, this year's was a joke, but it usually is! I also go on a lot of road trips and weekend vacations with the family so we like the extra space for extra passengers and even more luggage. For now, the Envoy still looks and runs like a dream. It helps that I keep it in the garage and then drive to a parking ramp every day. It's been well taken care of, that's for sure.

Here was my previous car:

Honda Del Sol. I loved that car! I drove it for 8 years and loved every second of it. I wish I had never sold it. However, I simply do not have the space :( I sold it at a very healthy price though. I may actually find and buy another one some day when I have the space to store it.

We're also already thinking about what type of vehicle the kids will get when they hit age 16. We're leaning towards getting 1 car that they have to share or something along those lines. They may just inherit our vehicles and we'll get new ones. It's hard to say for certain.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

The last straw was the timing belt was about to go, and it was something like a 3k repair.
Yeah the timing belt issue is well known on the internet, which of course I was all over and OHMyGOD YOU PAID 3K?!?!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

No, I didn't pay it. I traded it in once I found that out.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Case in point why I don't buy used cars! Whoever you traded it to probably sold it off to some unsuspecting sap who got stuck with a timing belt issue 2 months later.

--
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Aslanna wrote:Case in point why I don't buy used cars!
And normally I'd be with you on that one, but my seller was family of a friend / coworker, and that's trustworthy enough for me. Also I saw detailed receipts of prior maintenance.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:Case in point why I don't buy used cars! Whoever you traded it to probably sold it off to some unsuspecting sap who got stuck with a timing belt issue 2 months later.
Oh not probably, for sure. The airbag light was also on, and I got the salesman to buy some bullshit about how it's a normal thing to show its time to check them.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Funk wrote:The first I dumped some money in, but didn't have it for long. The second I put around 5k into in repairs. The last straw was the timing belt was about to go, and it was something like a 3k repair.
It's like you knew, man.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

he cut it!