ASoiaF - Game of Thrones - HBO -- Official News!

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Re: ASoiaF - Game of Thrones - HBO -- Official News!

Post by Sylvus »

THIS SPOILER SHOULD NOT BE READ BY ANYONE THAT HASN'T READ THE BOOKS.

[Show]
I think it's funny that literally everyone (whose opinion I've heard/seen) who has watched episode one and not read the books thinks that Bran is dead. It's been a while since my last read-through, did they leave it as a chapter cliffhanger there so that we thought Bran was dead as well?
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Sylvus wrote:THIS SPOILER SHOULD NOT BE READ BY ANYONE THAT HASN'T READ THE BOOKS.

[Show]
I think it's funny that literally everyone (whose opinion I've heard/seen) who has watched episode one and not read the books thinks that Bran is dead. It's been a while since my last read-through, did they leave it as a chapter cliffhanger there so that we thought Bran was dead as well?
[Show]
I think there were a few chapters in between before we find out.
en kærlighed småkager
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Sylvus wrote:THIS SPOILER SHOULD NOT BE READ BY ANYONE THAT HASN'T READ THE BOOKS.

[Show]
I didn't read the books, and went into watching this knowing absolutely nothing about the story, but...
[Show]
I assumed the opposite.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I can't resist spoiler tags.
[Show]
I kinda assumed that too, I just couldn't figure out how he'd live. Figured maybe the wolf saved him. It doesn't make me want to dick punch dude any less though!
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

[Show]
Has Bran done anything in the last few books?.... I remember him running around being a curious wolf and thats really it... anything else?
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

He learned to ride his wolf, after learning how to ride a giant retard.

Are spoilers really necessary here?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

masteen wrote:He learned to ride his wolf, after learning how to ride a giant retard.

Are spoilers really necessary here?
Lol

Spoilers are not necessary here, but one would hope that if there are spoilers (and there will be, being that some people have not read the books, or are currently reading the books) they should be tagged as such.
en kærlighed småkager
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I haven't seen the giant retard, so I'm thinking they left him out of the show to be more PC. All giant retards will unite in anger of being forgotten in the most important plot line!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I think Hodor is still being played by Kristian Nairn(whomever the fuck that is) and will appear in two episodes this season.

I originally thought Hodor was being played by Rory McCann (dimwitted brute from Hot Fuzz), but he is actually playing Sandor Clegane. That should work well!
en kærlighed småkager
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Great scenes with Daenerys/Emilia.

Boromir was good for the role as well.

Are those White Walkers Wights/Spectres or just intelligent Zombies?
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I'm not sure they actually showed white walkers yet, or in the books. Its always been wights as far as I remember, but they go hand in hand with the white walkers. At least that's how I took it when reading the books thus far. I'm probably wrong though.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I think they combined white walkers and wights. Different from books since the wights had swords and had a good deal of intelligence it seems...
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Halfway through 2nd episode (fell asleep). It's better than the first. Moving in a positive direction so far.

I like the midget.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Afraid to even bother with this series on my DVR. The only people I haven't heard say they fell asleep were the die-hard fans of the books.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I know a few people watching it who aren't hardcore fantasy fans (they like the LoTR movies) and the best thing I've heard from them is that it's really slow but it looks like it might get interesting.

I'll probably check it out eventually.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Granted, she's probably influenced by my excitement, but my wife who basically only reads chick lit and the Twilight books (redundant, yes), and hasn't ever even seen Star Wars (just painting a picture of how unlike everyone reading this message she is) seems to really like the show. I also have a buddy who hasn't read the books that is watching it on his own and he seems pretty enthusiastic about it, always asking me questions about the characters on Monday.

Not sure who is falling asleep when people are getting beheaded, defenestrated or penetrated from behind, but perhaps they need to get more sleep at night?

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sylvus wrote: Not sure who is falling asleep when people are getting beheaded, defenestrated or penetrated from behind, but perhaps they need to get more sleep at night?

I fell asleep before the part where the lifeless chick was getting pounded from behind by ponytail guy. If I had to guess, that part of the story revolves around the dim whitted chic coming into her own, using her sex to gather up some power. So far she's moved from doggy to cowgirl position on her quest for bedroom dominance.

Having finished the second episode, it seems ok so far. I suppose we have to wait for the interesting parts of the plot. So far not much really happening that's different from any other fantasy.

Why does everyone's cape/cloak drag on the ground through the mud? I don't get it.

I get that there's a connection between the dire wolf things and the kids. The rest is standard very light political drama between some people that are across a narrow sea and some mysterious stuff behind a big wall of ice.

Glee took 4 episodes! Spartacus: Blood and Sand took awhile. I can give ASoiaF that much time as well!
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sartori »

Winnow wrote:I fell asleep before the part where the lifeless chick was getting pounded from behind by ponytail guy. If I had to guess, that part of the story revolves around the dim whitted chic coming into her own, using her sex to gather up some power. So far she's moved from doggy to cowgirl position on her quest for bedroom dominance.

Having finished the second episode, it seems ok so far. I suppose we have to wait for the interesting parts of the plot. So far not much really happening that's different from any other fantasy.

Why does everyone's cape/cloak drag on the ground through the mud? I don't get it.

I get that there's a connection between the dire wolf things and the kids. The rest is standard very light political drama between some people that are across a narrow sea and some mysterious stuff behind a big wall of ice.

Glee took 4 episodes! Spartacus: Blood and Sand took awhile. I can give ASoiaF that much time as well!
Lifeless, dim-witted, etc. In the book Danaerys is written as a 13 year old (or so), naive girl that has been closely protected by her brother, and reacts as I would probably expect her to as the story unfolds. In the show they aged her up to avoid the obvious accusations, but kept her personality the same - so I guess if you don't see it in the context of the original material I can understand your point of view. She grows up VERY quickly in ways that would probably leave most girls in shock and scarred for life. Later you find she is definitely not "most" girls. Also, though she might grow up very quickly, her side of the storyline certainly doesn't move very quickly so, yeah, doggy style to cowgirl is it so far. LOL

I think Emilia Clark is doing a great job, actually.

I feel completely opposite about similarities to "other fantasy" movies or TV, though I must admit I haven't bothered to get into much of anything else that's been available on TV. Earthsea, Camelot, Legend of the Seeker, Hercules, etc. and any others I can think of just don't do it for me. Some critics are saying things such as "it's like Sopranos meets LOTR", but that's a pretty broad/generic generalization. The story contained in the book is unlike anything I've ever read, even if it has familiar elements (multiple houses, magic/monsters, political/courtly intrigue).

In the books, there is almost too much going on politically, and I'm having a hard time thinking of any other medieval/fantasy TV show or movie that will even be able to come close to touching the scope of it.
Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sartori »

Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Sylvus wrote:... hasn't ever even seen Star Wars
How can someone not have seen Star Wars? Seems you'd almost have to go out of your way to avoid it. Was she Amish or something?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I've never seen WIzard of Oz!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

masteen wrote:
Sylvus wrote:... hasn't ever even seen Star Wars
How can someone not have seen Star Wars? Seems you'd almost have to go out of your way to avoid it. Was she Amish or something?
Not Amish, and I also have never understood how she could have avoided it. She agreed to watch it with me one night (as I told her there was no way I could marry someone that hadn't seen Star Wars) and I think she fell asleep before they got to Mos Eisley. I married her anyway. :shock:

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Did she agree to obey you in vows? make her watch it! oh, and good luck with that in advance :P
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fell asleep again, about halfway through episode three. Kinda slow, I guess this is not the best thing to watch in bed late at night.

Did I fall asleep again before a big sex scene?
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

While I've never read the books and don't really read any fantasy kind of stuff, I've always been a sucker for fantasy on screen with high production values, so I've been watching this. I'm kind of in the Winnow / people Miir talks to maybe-it-will-get-interesting-at-some-point camp. I mean I understand it's a complicated story and there's a lot going on and really, the story does advance a lot every episode I guess, but jesus it feels slow. Nevertheless I'm watching it and I pretty much never watch scripted shows on a regular basis, so I suppose I like it.

It is kind of hard to see how I feel like nothing is happening given that pretty much every episode includes a bloody murder, plenty of naked ladies, and a very uncomfortable sex scene, but it does. If they released more than one episode a week it might be less annoying. It's like reading Mark Trail or something.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I can see how it is difficult for the unindoctrinated. If you have some interest and continue watching, it should make more sense and get more lively. For me, I adore the books and am impressed with the show so far.
en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I've been downloading the episodes and will probably watch them in a weekend.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I seriously think this one is going to have a very limited audience over time if it does not change, but that is just the opinion of a person that loves sci-fi/fantasy without being "indoctrinated" ahead of time. Maybe I can't actually get into it because of all of the fanboy bitching here on the book threads, or maybe it is just that the books are being translated to TV too literally.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

My biggest reservation is that the story isn't finished
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Keep in mind that like the books, it takes awhile for the story to really kick into gear. Hopefully, they do not lose too many viewers before that happens!

I expect that by episode 5 or 6, things should get quite exciting. That is based on my perception of the novel's scaled-down translation to the screen.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The blonde chic's story is not translating well to screen yet. She's already gone from kinda mindless victim to annoying, "catch on quick" feminist movement girl.

I like the dwarf/imp the most because he has some character to him.

For the early episodes, perhaps they should have used a PiP approach...Picture in Picture with a continuous sex scene going on in the mini screen to hold interest during the drawn out drama stares stressing over the journey from the cold country to the main city (not really that exciting to those not in the know)

Alternatively, they probably could have squeezed all three of the first episodes into a narrative/single episode to kinda get things moving along to the, hopefully, good parts.

The production values are high. This still has the potential to be good pending something actually happening more than once every few episodes.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Well, its not going to happen. Not this season. The first book is all political posturing, with murdering and other stuff. There is no vast horde of Saruman armies of orcs and wargs and other mass cgi battles. Its just not in this book (season). So I would stop now. It won't be picking up much more than what it is now. Its a drama, not an action story. That's why its compared to Sopranos. There were only a handful of engagement scenes in that show with action and all that stuff.

Just thought I'd save you all some time, if you were expecting more Lord of the Rings style fantasy. Its not in this series.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

"Run you fools!"

Well it seems the series has been granted a 2nd season so I guess it doesn't matter what first season's episodes are like.

I don't mind dialog as long as it moves along and it's interesting. I think what's happening here is they are drawing out very simple concepts into multiple episodes....winter is coming...atilla the hun gathering forces...bad stuff whispered about that's beyond the great ice wall...which we learned all about the very first episode. The major shortcoming of the series is that so far, very little is gleaned from each episode.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I agree that the dwarf is the best character. A few of the others are somewhat interesting as well-- I like the incest-brother, and Boromir does a good job with his character.

I also agree that the savages-across-the-narrow-sea story is not developing well. So far I've gathered that (1) they're terrifying savages, (2) their culture only permits doggy style sex, (3) the lady is going to learn to love the king, who has a secret heart of gold, which they can get away with because he's cool looking, despite the fact that his only actions so far show him as a heartless rapist, (4) the queen is going to develop power and confidence largely via sexual self-assertion. The "please, wise prostitute, show me how to please my man" scene in episode 2 was so bad that it was kind of embarrassing to watch.

I like the knights-at-the-wall storyline. The Lannister/Stark/Robert relationship is interesting enough to keep me engaged as well.

I don't want a massive Lord of the Rings style CGI battle. I just want something to happen other than veiled threats and political machinations and unnecessary sex. I assume that many of these characters-- Drogo, the incest brother, Ned, James, etc-- are going to do badass things eventually. Can we at least get a scene in which they flash a hint of how badass they will eventually prove to be?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sueven wrote: Drogo, the incest brother, Ned, James, etc-- are going to do badass things eventually. Can we at least get a scene in which they flash a hint of how badass they will eventually prove to be?
I, as well, want confirmation of future badassness. The needle/girl I'm sure will eventually end up being huge.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

From what I am reading here from the folks who are not familiar with the story, I can now say that the screenwriters are actually doing a marvelous job of following the book arcs. Meaning, what you have gleaned, is what the book readers had gleaned. So, if you are still interested even somewhat, it is worth continuing (assuming the drudgery goes away as the story picks up).
en kærlighed småkager
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Wasn't kidding with my last post. I can't imagine that you will like season 1 (assuming its the entirety of book 1). Now, for the badassedness, its a long payoff from GRRM. He does nothing fast, that much I can tell you, just look at the size of the man. His writing style is very similar.

I am liking the show so far. I'm sure I'll love it once the season is over, but I really enjoyed the first book, so its not hard for me to enjoy the show.

I will say this though, what GRRM lacks in action, he makes up for in zomg wtf why. You think you know the formula. You don't.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

You think you know the formula. You don't.

This.
en kærlighed småkager
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

miir wrote:My biggest reservation is that the story isn't finished
The complete manuscript has been turned in!

http://georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:
miir wrote:My biggest reservation is that the story isn't finished
The complete manuscript has been turned in!

Done with this book, but that is 5 of 7.
en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:The complete manuscript has been turned in!

So it should be done somewhere around 2022?
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

miir wrote:
Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:The complete manuscript has been turned in!

So it should be done somewhere around 2022?
If his heart can hold out.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Hopefully, he will skip the majority of the 'cons and appearances, as well as stop writing all that crap that nobody reads...

Here's to hoping for some inspiration before he keels! :P When dude sets his mind to it, he actually cranks out some material! Problem is, he rarely does that!
en kærlighed småkager
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

yeah, we need HBO to push him out of the show, or him to get bored with working on the show, and to get interested in books 6 & 7. I hope that he will finish the series. he's just too unhealthy.
Last edited by Kluden on May 6, 2011, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Kluden wrote:he's just too unhealthy.
Does he actually have known health problems, or is that just an assumption based on him being older and overweight (and generally looking pretty unkempt)?

Go Blue!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Sylvus wrote:
Kluden wrote:he's just too unhealthy.
Does he actually have known health problems, or is that just an assumption based on him being older and overweight (and generally looking pretty unkempt)?

In reality-land, he is in normal health, for an older overweight man.
en kærlighed småkager
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I'm not his doctor, no. He is 62 years old, and morbidly obese. I'm going by those two facts. The second one speaks to heart health.

Cane, I know you must have been half joking, but I have to ask, what is "normal health" for someone who is old and severely overweight? haha :)

I hope he lives till 100. I want to be able to read book 7, the conclusion, that he himself dreamed up.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kluden wrote:
I hope he lives till 100. I want to be able to read book 7, the conclusion, that he himself dreamed up.

It's the journey not the destination!

Look what happened with Battlestar Galactica! (LOST as well) Fantastic series with worst ending ever. Not worth looking forward to the end...it will probably suck.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Winnow wrote: Look what happened with Battlestar Galactica! (LOST as well) Fantastic series with worst ending ever. Not worth looking forward to the end...it will probably suck.
Shit...you're absolutely right. Double shit.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Poor Imp!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--