NHL Playoffs '09

What do you think about the sports world?
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

NHL Playoffs '09

Post by Wulfran »

This season seemed kinda wierd to me but I had a lot going on myself so I didn't pay attention as closely as I usually do to the regular season. Some things never changed: my beloved Isles sucked; the Maple Laughs sucked even though the media circus up here never stopped around them; more big money free agents failed to produce (especially in New York); people lobbied for changes to fighting/instigator rules on both sides; some young players thrilled crowds (Ovechkin et al), some didn't live up to their hype (Fabian Brunstrom) and 8 months later, we're starting another tournament to determine who deserves Lord Stanley's Cup in their trophy case.

The West

San Jose (1) vs Anaheim (8) - This *should* be an easy win for the Sharks but I have some doubts, namely in goal for San Jose. Nabokov looked stellar in the regular season (again), but this is a guy who habitually disappears in the playoffs. The Ducks seemed to be missing a step this season but have all the pieces to make a run and they have a lot of experience as well if they can gel. I can't call the upset as much as I would like to. Sharks in 7. (Ducks won in 6)

Detroit (2) vs Columbus (7) - The NHL's version of Team Energizer Bunny vs a Never Been There Before. Osgood and Moss don't give me a lot of confidence as far as netminding tandem go, but I thought Hasek was overrated in his tenure in Hockeytown, USA: I thought the Wings' team defense was what won them games and championships and really I think it still can. The offensive spark seems to be lacking a little and at Stevie -2 years I think they do miss some of that drive and leadership... but they're still the Extremely Talented Red Wings. Columbus has nothing to prove really and while the regular season will be hailed a success, their playoff hopes will be shortlived. Wings in 5* (Wings won in 4)

Vancouver (3) vs St. Louis (6) - Surprising St Louis vs the enigmatic Canucks. Vancouver's offense has made a history of keeping the legend of disappearing Europeans in April alive. St Louis is a lot like Columbus in that they're a surprise to be here... unfortunately there's not enough Blues team to beat Roberto Luongo in net and as great as Chris Mason has been, this will be a learning experience for him. Canucks in 5 (Canucks won in 4)

Chicago (4) vs Calgary (5) - A resurging Blackhawks with a young cast against a scrappy but battered veteran Flames squad. If they were healthy I'd be sorely pressed not to take the experience of the Flames but the injuries, especially in the Flames defense compell me to say youth triumphs. 'Hawks in 6. (Blackhawks won in 6)

The East

Boston (1) vs Montreal (8) - The ghosts of Original 6 match ups of the past wiegh heavily on Montreal's side... unfortunately for them, there are no such things as ghosts. Montreal may lead the all time playoff match ups 24-7 over the Bruins but this 32nd installment heavily favours the Boys from Beantown. Boston is a complete team, Montreal is an organization in disarray (which seems strange to see from the Habs). Bruins in 5 (Bruins won in 4)

Washington (2) vs New York Rangers (7) - The mismatch of the round. A struggling club lucky to make the playoffs against another of the new generation powerhouses. This series can be summed up in one sentence: Ovechkin knows how to raise the puck over Lundquist. The real question is can Sean Avery keep his stupidity under wraps and I say not any longer: the stress of the playoffs will see him revert to his true form and he'll need his mates to be sharp against that Washington powerplay. Caps in 5* Caps won in 7

New Jersey (3) vs Carolina (6) - An interesting match up of teams who have championships not too far in their pasts but in the NHL at this time of year one position on the ice dominates all others and though he was hurt a lot this year, Martin Brodeur is still the King of the Crease and will outperform Cam Ward. Devils in 6'Canes won in 7

Pittsburgh (4) vs Philadelphia (5) - the Battle Of Pennsylvania (Cold War Edition). The Flyers seemed like a team struggling to find an identity to me, the Penguins have rediscovered theirs and are on a roll. Sorry Canno but your boys are gonna be bounced hard and fast by Sid, Malkin and Co. Pens in 5. (Pens won in 6)

* I never predict sweeps or this could be one
Last edited by Wulfran on April 29, 2009, 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: NHL Playoffs '09

Post by Canelek »

Hmmm. I tend to agree on the identity part...they need LeClaire back!!

Flyers in 6.
en kærlighed småkager
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Wulfran wrote: Detroit (2) vs Columbus (7) - The NHL's version of Team Energizer Bunny vs a Never Been There Before. Osgood and Moss don't give me a lot of confidence as far as netminding tandem go, but I thought Hasek was overrated in his tenure in Hockeytown, USA: I thought the Wings' team defense was what won them games and championships and really I think it still can. The offensive spark seems to be lacking a little and at Stevie -2 years I think they do miss some of that drive and leadership... but they're still the Extremely Talented Red Wings. Columbus has nothing to prove really and while the regular season will be hailed a success, their playoff hopes will be shortlived. Wings in 5*

Don't forget that the Bluejackets have played well against the Redwings this year. They spanked the Redwings 8-2 in their own building a few weeks ago, and Nash has 2 hat tricks against them this year.
I don't know that the Bluejackets have any chance in the series, but I think it will be more competitive than people think.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Sabek wrote:
Wulfran wrote: Detroit (2) vs Columbus (7) - The NHL's version of Team Energizer Bunny vs a Never Been There Before. Osgood and Moss don't give me a lot of confidence as far as netminding tandem go, but I thought Hasek was overrated in his tenure in Hockeytown, USA: I thought the Wings' team defense was what won them games and championships and really I think it still can. The offensive spark seems to be lacking a little and at Stevie -2 years I think they do miss some of that drive and leadership... but they're still the Extremely Talented Red Wings. Columbus has nothing to prove really and while the regular season will be hailed a success, their playoff hopes will be shortlived. Wings in 5*

Don't forget that the Bluejackets have played well against the Redwings this year. They spanked the Redwings 8-2 in their own building a few weeks ago, and Nash has 2 hat tricks against them this year.
I don't know that the Bluejackets have any chance in the series, but I think it will be more competitive than people think.
I agree with the original post that Hasek was overrated. The Vernon / Osgood era was the peak of Red Wings goaltending. You can bet there will be a sexy choice in net next year if the playoffs prove too much for Osgood and Conklin (who should be starting anyway).

But the heart of the team is not gone by any stretch, nor the leadership. Well oiled machines like the Wings don't lose any luster come playoff time. Being in this position must echo familiarity after the first 12 or so years. Things are going according to plan. Wings in 4*.

* because an 8-2 loss is a fluke
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

As always Wulffy, you are wacked. The Kings will once again win it all
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Trek wrote:As always Wulffy, you are wacked. The Kings will once again win it all
um Trek? You been drinkin' my ale again? The Kings have to actually make it to the post season first... but I feel your pain, being an Islander fan...
Wulfran Moondancer
Mawafu
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Mawafu »

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Emilio Estevez still playing for them, Fu? :D
en kærlighed småkager
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

I'll be cheering for them a bit, Fu, especially against the Sharks. I just like their hardnosed style of play.
Wulfran Moondancer
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

I like the sharks and think they deserve to make a real run but maybe I'm just a fan of Thorton.

Best I can come up with:
SJ over Anaheim - Tough call as Ana shouldn't have even made it in and yet, there they are, and they are as tough as ever

Det over Colum - Pretty much just relying on their history to pull through. But if Mason (Steve) continues to be hot, it's going to be a long series.

Van over St L - Don't watch either team enough to swap the rankings.

Cal over Chi - Injuries will play a role but I still think Cal can take Chi.

Bos over Mon - no clue how this is going to turn out. I still don't understand what gave Bos such a good record this year. It's a massive rivalry so I'll be looking forward to catching some of this series.

NY over Wash - Still think the Rangers can play to their abilities and Lundquist is way better in goal.

Car over NJ - NJ has had their problems of late and they had problems w/ Car all season. Saving grace may be Brodeur's injury because he did not wear himself out during the regular season.

Pit over Phi - To me, both of these teams would lose if they were playing against anyone else.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Carry the Flag!

While on paper and common sense the Blue Jackets don't stand a chance, I feel that we will pull off the upset, for no other reason than hometown pride. For the past two months I have been praying that we would get the 7th seed to play them. We have fared better against them than most the other teams we've played. And by going that route we will end up playing the Sharks of whom we've also played very well against. And while the Flames did fall to number 4, it scared me that if we were the 6th seed and they were the 3rd seed that they would have owned us hard.

The interesting stat that the local newspaper threw out is that no Stanley Cup champ since the Avalanche in 2002 have won the following first round playoff match. So go CBJ!
Fuck Michigan!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

The interesting stat that the local newspaper threw out is that no Stanley Cup champ since the Avalanche in 2002 have won the following first round playoff match. So go CBJ!
HA!
I'd hate Hillary just as much if it was a woman. ┌┘ Winnow
you pretentious fuckwits ┌┘ Nick
:roll: ┌┘ Miir
thoroughly groped┌┘ Xyun
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Random thoughts from the first two nights...

The only real surprise to me is that Jose Theodore couldn't stop a beach ball in NYR/WSH game 1. I knew Theodore wasn't Martin Brodeur but didn't think the Rangers deserved that one ...such is life.

Speaking of Brodeur, I don't know if he still has it in him to go all the way but I think a lot of teams should be uneasy that he did have most of the season off to recuperate from injury: the Devils could be the dark horse this year.

Calgary and Montreal both showed a lot of fight in their losses but I don't think either one can do it in the long haul: Boston's too complete for Montreal and Calgary's too bruised and battered to handle Chicago's young guns right now.

Philly has to stay out of the box and figure out how to contain both Sid and Malkin or they're gonna be golfing in a hurry.

Anaheim may be starring in another episode of "watch Nabokov fail in the post season". A goalie has to stand up and give his team a reason to win sometimes, like Osgood did in the early going of the DET-CBJ game last night, and Nabokov has never been able to do this. Osgood made some great early saves (poor fucker still gets no respect from the Ded Wing faithful) that could have given the Jackets a big boost. Instead the Wings had time to implement their game plan. I know its early but things don't appear to be boding well for the Jackets or the Sharks (which is kinda sad because I do like Joe Thornton).

I still think the lowest scoring series is going to be VAN-STL: two goaltenders that are playing very well and two anemic offenses.
Wulfran Moondancer
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Is Nabakov giving up soft goals or is Anaheim just pounding relentlessly?
Didn't get a chance to watch Avery's antics last night (my allergies have kept me up 4 nights in a row and yesterday was "crash time"). But, he is a good guy for the Rangers. I have never seen a more invisible captain than Drury. Having to go down to Lundquist just to get a comment is ridiculous. Someone has to inspire the team, even if it comes in the retarded package Avery is.
For the record, playoff hockey kicks tail. Anyone who thinks physicality has gone from the game needs to watch a playoff game.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Everyone always beats down Nabby in the playoffs, I dont see that he is the problem most games. I don't hear names like Marleau, Thornton (I know everyone likes him, but I would put more blame on him then Nabby) Cheechoo...ect. If they need Nabokov to stand on his head to win, perhaps they shouldnt be there.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep! The last game was intense, though!
Osgood made some great early saves (poor fucker still gets no respect from the Ded Wing faithful)
His league-bottoming stats gave plenty of reason for RED Wing fans to get upset. Maybe you should respect Red Wing fans more.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Trek wrote:Everyone always beats down Nabby in the playoffs, I dont see that he is the problem most games. I don't hear names like Marleau, Thornton (I know everyone likes him, but I would put more blame on him then Nabby) Cheechoo...ect. If they need Nabokov to stand on his head to win, perhaps they shouldnt be there.
There's some truth to what you say Trekkie, but at the same time Nabokov has never proven himself to be a great goaltender by stealing playoff series like one expects when you talk about a truly great goaltender. Over the years we've seen lots of guys do it but with Nabokov its like he expends all his energy on being a great regular season goaltender and then is merely average. The The Sharks on the whole seem like Ottawa of the last couple seasons: a lot of talent that don't seem to be able to turn it up in the post season like everyone else. And yes in a 4-0 game the blame has to hit your offensive guys as well as your goaltending.

And as for respecting Dedwing fans, I will when they start respecting a guy that has a career record of 389 wins, 204 losses, 66 ties, 23 OT losses, .906 save percentage and 2.47 GAA in the regular season, mostly in Detroit but also with 145 games on some pretty bad NYI and STL teams while the Wings experimented with any RFA they could buy. A guy thats 63-41 in the post season with a life time save percentage of .915 and GAA of 2.10. All he does is win. There is also the character and willingness to shelve his ego and support the team that he brings: Osgood has been a consummate team player, even when the team in front of him quit (I remember how the Wings folded except for Osgood and a one legged Stevie Y in Vancouver a few years back... I believe they might have actually won the Cup that year too...), but still he gets no respect, even when it looks like he's playing hurt (which is how he looked to me last night). Go ahead and whine about his 26-9-8 record this year while you snivel about his stats too...
Wulfran Moondancer
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Nabokov has a career .915 postseason save percentage (2.21GAA), that is in 63 games (including this year). I just dont expect more then that out of a goalie, he does have 6 shutouts, which is 1 every 10 postseason games, that isnt 'series stealing' but should be more then enough to keep him from being the scapegoat every year.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Broduer .920/1.96
Roy .921/2.30
Osgood .915/2.10
Hasek .928/2.02

Nabby isnt far off from these guys and they did/do pretty good
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Leonaerd wrote:Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep! The last game was intense, though!
Osgood made some great early saves (poor fucker still gets no respect from the Ded Wing faithful)
His league-bottoming stats gave plenty of reason for RED Wing fans to get upset. Maybe you should respect Red Wing fans more.
That was the game I watched that night. Columbus kept coming back which was really really impressive. One of the best games I've seen in awhile.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

I was bummed watching Calgary lose last night. I knew they were banged up bad going in (and it only got worse as the series wore on) and the series ended exactly as I predicted but it was still disappointing. Iginla's one of my favorite players and I really wonder how many years he has left to get his shot at a Cup. Chicago is an interesting young club: it'll be interesting to see how far they can ride the wave. I like the way the 'Hawks match up against the Canucks.

I kinda shook my head at the Ducks and Sharks game. DAMN but Anaheim is good at crashing the net and doing it sneaky enough to look legal :p Detroit could be in for a rough ride. I wonder how many changes will happen in San Jose this year? Last season they dumped Ron Wilson; who gets it this year?

And I feel almost dirty cheering for the Devils and Caps in their game 7's: old Patrick division rivals of my Islanders from the days before they messed up the divisions. OK I don't have to cheer for the Devils but I hate the Rangers too much not to cheer on the Caps. I cuoldn't find any reason why either Brashear or Tortorella didn't deserve a suspension. Be interesting to see how disfunctional the Rangers are tonight :p Cam Ward looks awesome for the 'Canes too: shades of a couple years back.
Wulfran Moondancer
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

And after going 6-2 in my round 1 picks, on to round 2

Boston vs Carolina - Boston is still a complete team across the board. Carolina looks like they're firing pretty well: Eric Stahl loooks like he's got it turned on and Cam Ward put in some performances where he out-dueled Martin Brodeur in net. I think the difference is going to be that Boston is more consistent, and they're rested, whereas the Canes have played well, the bruises and fatigue will start to show. Bruins in 6

Pittsburgh vs Washington - Hockey fans have to be excited about this one: Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby and some others going head to head. I used the word consistent with the Bruins and 'Canes and I'm going to use it here too. The Caps have not been a consistently good team this post season: their highs are high but their lows are awful. Varlamov appears to have answered some of the goaltending question (at least for now) but the effort and execution level of Washington remains a question mark. The Pens weren't models of consistency either, when you look at their efforts against the Flyers but the swings weren't as extreme either. Gonna be a fun one with the Crosby-Ovechkin rivalry already burning for these clubs. Pens in 7

Chicago vs Vancouver - Chicago is a team that impressed me against Calgary: they handled the hard hitting, in your face style of the Flames really well. Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook looked outstanding on the blueline; Toews, Kane and Sharp played like the blooming stars they are; and the 'Bulin wall stood pretty firm. Vancouver has been playing very well heading into the post season and they were sharp in sweeping another young team from St Louis. The ways I see this stacking up, Luongo is better than Khabibulin, the 'Hawks forwards are better than the Canucks' forwards at putting the puck in the net and the 'Hawks blueline is stronger (but youger). Neither team has a wealth of playoff experience. Can Vancouver score enough on Khabibulin to lift them past the Blackhawks? I don't think so. Blackhawks in 6

Detroit vs Anaheim - Call this series the Beauty and the Beast. Detroit wins like they always have: playing a fast, skilled game. Anaheim is the antithesis: brawling, physical, pound 'em to submission. Discipline is going to be key: Anaheim takes a lot of penalties and Detroit is way too skilled to allow them too many PP's, while Detroit is hard to push around because of the speed and puck control level. Burning issue here came up at the end of the Columbus series: is Osgood hurt and if so can Conklin fill the role? He couldn't a few years back for Edmonton but this is a different team with more talent and a better defensive system (when they follow it, which they do pretty well). This one is hard to call: I think Detroit wins but the intangibles... Call it Wings in 5.
Wulfran Moondancer
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Ugh, I don't like to complain about officiating since I know they have a tough job, but a couple of those calls tonight in the Detroit/Anaheim game were bad.

Stuart got 2 minutes which lead to a PP goal; then they disallowed a goal with 30 seconds left. Oh well, four more games yet to play - hopefully.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

It's not sports anymore, it's athletic entertainment.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

I think the ref blew the call: Hiller never had control of the puck to warrant a whistle on the play but the ref jumped the gun. I saw Peter Laviolette (former Isle and Carolina coach) talk about it on TSN and the rule is clear: if the ref meant to blow it dead and the whistle is late, its still the ref's intent that matters, flawed though it may be... and in this case it was very flawed. It sucks that it happens but all sports have a degree of subjectivity in the officiating that you can't get away from.

What really blew me away was the disallowed goal on Sunday that Carolina scored. It WAS reviewable and the NHL still got it wrong which makes me wonder WTF they have replays for in the first place... Carolina still won 3-0 so it didn't matter in the end but...
Wulfran Moondancer
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

Yeah, I just think the "intent" thing is lame. If being able to blow the whistle instantly is the problem, somebody needs to design a device refs can wear which gives them instant access to their whistle. Or better yet, some sort of digital device which plays a whistle noise over the PA system or something like that. They could carry a clicker in-hand and it would be instant.

If the rule was based off the actual whistle, that would have been reviewable and it would have been a goal.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

So the whistle would have been blown before the puck was tapped into the net, Detroit would have still lost and Wing fans would still be upset (rightfully so). The ref lost site of the puck, therefore the play was dead right then. I dont see a big deal with the 'intent' part of the rule hockey is a fast game and when guys are poking at a goalie its tough as a ref to get that right all the time. In the end what would change if you give the refs a superfast whistle button? The actual play would still end at the same time would it not?
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I'd assume that with a "superfast whistle", you could get rid of the "intent" rule and just go by the whistle. Then, had the ref used the superfast whistle when he did, the goal would have been scored. Or if he had used it when he intended to, it would have been before the goal had scored.

Us Wings fans would have nothing to complain about in that case.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Actually with an instant whistle Wing fans would have had less to complain about but they still would have had a beef because the puck was still loose: Hiller never had control of it until after it crossed the line. It was a bad call by an official, which, as stated previously, happens in all sports: I don't know how to get away from it, especially with the tempo of a hockey game. Now I'm also of the opinion that if Detroit really deserved that game they would have found a way to overcome the adversity of a bad call (or two) and win it, but there's no doubt they had a reason to be upset in a close game.
Wulfran Moondancer
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Exactly Wulfy, the superfast whistle would have went off before the puck was even past Hillers foot and stopped for the tap in. It would have solved nothing. I understand being upset over the mistake, but changing the whistle wont fix that one
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

Trek wrote:Exactly Wulfy, the superfast whistle would have went off before the puck was even past Hillers foot and stopped for the tap in. It would have solved nothing. I understand being upset over the mistake, but changing the whistle wont fix that one
The super fast whistle would make the rule more black and white, that's all I was getting at. :) Then, we would just be looking at a bad call, for which there is no cure other than practice.

Right now, it just is too many shades of grey for my (personal) liking.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I just dont see it making any difference, The play still ends at the same time.

Didnt need a fast whistle for last game, Hiller may have been hearing a lot of whistling going past him tho
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

Trek wrote:I just dont see it making any difference, The play still ends at the same time.

Didnt need a fast whistle for last game, Hiller may have been hearing a lot of whistling going past him tho
That play might not have ended differently, but it might help avoid similar situations in the future if something like that were instituted.

And yeah, last night was a much more acceptable performance. ;) The Franzen/Hossa/Filppula line was amazing.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Next time his contract is up, Franzen is gonna make major dollars. His regular seasons may not be as good as someone like Datsyuk's but his playoff performances are spectacular to the point of putting some of the superstars to shame.
Wulfran Moondancer
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

Wulfran wrote:Next time his contract is up, Franzen is gonna make major dollars. His regular seasons may not be as good as someone like Datsyuk's but his playoff performances are spectacular to the point of putting some of the superstars to shame.
Too bad he just signed an 11 year contract extension. He's all ours! Muwhahaha.

Anybody else think the goal Helm scored towards the end of the game tonight was questionable due to Cleary's leg positioning against Hiller?
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Xouqoa wrote:
Wulfran wrote:Next time his contract is up, Franzen is gonna make major dollars. His regular seasons may not be as good as someone like Datsyuk's but his playoff performances are spectacular to the point of putting some of the superstars to shame.

Anybody else think the goal Helm scored towards the end of the game tonight was questionable due to Cleary's leg positioning against Hiller?
Yeah it might have been but thats the way it goes: you get some calls (like this one) and lose some (like the one a couple games ago).

And Franzen signed an 11 year deal??? Damn...the guy is the freaking energizer bunny of playoff scoring... if he was smart it should have cost some major dough. That shot top corner last night was beautiful.
Wulfran Moondancer
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

Wulfran wrote:
Xouqoa wrote:

Yeah it might have been but thats the way it goes: you get some calls (like this one) and lose some (like the one a couple games ago).

And Franzen signed an 11 year deal??? Damn...the guy is the freaking energizer bunny of playoff scoring... if he was smart it should have cost some major dough. That shot top corner last night was beautiful.
Yeah, he is pretty awesome to watch during the playoffs. :)

How about the Hawks beating Vancouver in 6? I still think Luongo is highly overrated. You don't give up 7 goals in an elimination game if you are a top tier goalie. I guess everyone has bad games, though.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

There has been such extremely good hockey in this round. Not that the first didn't have great hockey, but this 2nd round has been phenomenal. Other than that, all I can say is the Penguins better win game 7 against the lowly Caps.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I'm pulling for Ovechkin, I like him more then Crosby...thats about it
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Alex "knee sniper" ovechkin? :)
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Trek wrote:I'm pulling for Ovechkin, I like him more then Crosby...thats about it
Communist. You're always cheering for the russkies.

I'm cheering for the Pens
a) because of the shit and abuse Sid takes from fans, players and media while consistantly performing at a high level. People get on him saying he complains too much, but they don't say it about Ovechkin and they seem to forget he has a "C" on his chest that means he is obligated to speak for the team about team concerns, both to the refs and the media. They also seem to forget the way Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky used to whine about the same things. I'm not trying to bag on Ovechkin ( I think he's great) but I hate how the media fawns all over him and Sid gets no respect.
b) I like the Pens style better. They seem more physical to me and I like the hits.
c) because Alexander Semin is an egotistical cocksucker who isn't as good as he thinks he is
d) because aside from Ovechkin there are way too many Caps who like taking a night off

and maybe most importantly
e) because my fiancee is from outside Pittsburgh (Greensburg) and told me I have to... (I told her I am still an Isle fan to the core though!)

And Zoocow, I think Luongo's problem is the Canucks rode him too hard this season. He's the real deal (even Martin Brodeur had bad nights/series) but I don't like his supporting cast (inconsistent defensive zone play and no offense): Luongo had to be on top EVERY game or they were fucked. Also Chicago has some nasty talent in Toews, Kane, Sharpe, Versteeg et al. They're a team on the rise in a big way if they can keep them together.
Wulfran Moondancer
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I am rooting for Ovechkin because he seems to be the only Cap out on the ice every night, he is excited to play and it shows. I dont dislike Crosby, I feel he has a much better supporting cast then Ovy and would be interested to see each of their performances if the teams where swapped.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Wulfran wrote:
Communist. You're always cheering for the russkies.
Aside from Ovechkin (in this post season) and Alexander Frolov (he was still a King this year), I dont believe I was cheering/rooting for any others. Is the weather a bit colder up there this year??
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Trek wrote:I am rooting for Ovechkin because he seems to be the only Cap out on the ice every night, he is excited to play and it shows. I dont dislike Crosby, I feel he has a much better supporting cast then Ovy and would be interested to see each of their performances if the teams where swapped.
I don't disagree with this at all. You're right. That was really one of the underlaying issues of why the Caps lost: Ovechkin couldn't do it all by himself while Sid was a beast but he wasn't alone. A shame the last game was a blow out when the other games were such good hockey. Bruce Boudreau was right in the post game news conference, calling it anti-climactic.

p.s. You love Nabokov too, Commie bastard :p And yeah its been a little cool but not too far out of ordinary
Wulfran Moondancer
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Hell no I dont like Nabokov, he's a Shark for fucks sake! I just think he gets shafted as the scape goat when the rest of the team doesnt show up in the post season.....besides, if you think Luongo gets a break from over use in the regular season you better give Nabby a break for the same reason 8)

Yes that game was very...meh
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Well, the game was just fine with me, not anticlimactic at all!
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

Close game tonight. I am glad the Wings won, and glad they are done against the Ducks. I don't like the style of play the Ducks have, and think it really interferes with how the Wings play (finesse vs. physical).

The Chicago/Detroit series should be fun to watch, since Chicago is all about speed.

Some more bad calls tonight by the refs in that game as well. I thought the Cleary goal at the end was okay though, since Hiller never iced the puck and it was loose the whole time.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Actually Cleary's goal was textbook goalie interference. It was a tough call for a ref to make but replays show it was interference because Cleary was pushing Hiller's pad when Hiller was in the crease and the rule says Thou Shalt Not Touch A Goalie In His Crease. Playing the puck is OK but not contacting the goalie. IMO Anaheim can't use it as an excuse any more than Detroit could a few games ago: if you deserve it, you'll find a way to win.

I felt bad for the Bruins losing, because it looked like a situation where both teams deserve it. Oh well, thats the way it works and the "Cardiac 'Canes" worked hard for their win. Oh well. Only pick I got wrong this round :p At 6 for 8 and 3 for 4, I'm a consistent 75% :D

In the conference finals we have:

The West: an old original six or Norris Division series depending on how old you are :p Two teams that play a similar style, this will be fun to watch. Raw talent is pretty even IMO, but Wings have a lot of experience. Khabibulin won a Cup with Tampa but other than that the 'Hawks are young young young. It won't be easy but the old dogs will teach the kids a few tricks. Detroit will win in 6.

The East: Battle of the Staal family, Eric in Carolina vs Jordan in Pittsburgh. Eric is the better of the two but Jordan has the better supporting cast. First pass says Penguins should win but the 'Canes have that playoff mojo going again (especially Cam Ward) that makes them a little scary. If it stretches out it will be to Carolina's advantage. Penguins in 5.
Wulfran Moondancer
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I watched the Detroit/Chicago game last night. It was great, even though my team lost and is down by 2 games to 0 now.

I became a Blackhawks fan back in the early 90's. I've always loved them. I fell out of hockey when I lived in AR and they didn't have any channels that broadcast the NHL. Five years later, I tried to get back into it and I didn't recognize any of the players on my team. Furthermore, my favoreit players all went off to other teams, including Chelios to my arch rival the Detroit Red Wings!

Whenever I did watch hockey, I was dissappointed that my once great team was pretty much in shambles. It's great seeing them playing well again. Watching the Blackhawks vs Wings in the Conference Championship is good times indeed. It's stirring up some great memories!
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Well as long as you don't expect too much too fast and the 'Hawks management doesn't do a bunch of stupid moves, you should have a lot to cheer about for a while. With Toews, Kane, Sharp, Versteeg, Seabrook, Keith and others, they have one of the best young cores in the game. All they need is seasoning which (unfortunately) I think this series is going to give them. They looked really good last night but Detroit is so good at capitalizing on mistakes that you canèt afford to give them any to work with.
Wulfran Moondancer