Amazing what you can get done when broke and unemployed

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Amazing what you can get done when broke and unemployed

Post by Xyun »

Yea, as many of you know, I got fired two days before Christmas and I've been trying to figure out what to do. Finding a job in this economy will be pretty tough, and I wasn't even going to try during the holidays. I started looking last week, and almost got a job driving a cab but it didn't pan out. I filled out a FAFSA and have a meeting with a counselor about getting back into school and finishing up my bachelor's tomorrow. I've committed myself to doing it, I just need to know how financially stable I can stay while in school. In the meantime, in addition to putting out several applications, I cleaned my place, revamped my blog, and built a whole new website in just the last few days. I still need to update and redo my resume so I can send it out to more professional companies. Anyway, if any of you have any lines on work in the state of Florida please let me know. I'm not picky but I do have a pretty expensive place and a lease until May. I have some savings so I can probably get by for now with ANY job. This upcoming week I'm going to be much more aggressive in looking.

Oh, and before I forget, my new site is a news site with NO slant. Just straight news from 40+ sources. I hope you news junkies will utilize it as I myself have. http://www.newsblognexus.com

Anyway, anyone who knows about any jobs in FL let me know, I'm willing to relocate to another city, my landlady has already said she's cool with it, but I'm not willing to relocate to another state just yet.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: Amazing what you can get done when broke and unemployed

Post by Boogahz »

You're in Tampa, right?
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Why'd you get fired?
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Boogahz wrote:You're in Tampa, right?
Yeah, currently in Tampa, well.. St. Petersburg, but it's pretty much the same. St. Pete is a peninsula. I live on the south-eastern most point of it, but willing to drive wherever.

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

We have a major call/processing center in Tampa. I checked what was posted there since we are hiring many people in the Austin center. I work with Sales and Customer Service new hires currently, and we are looking very busy with new classes of around 20-40 each through March. Tampa has one position that is open, and it is listed as Internal Only at the moment. I guess this just shows how different the two places are :(
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Fash wrote:Why'd you get fired?
In addition to that blog entry, here are the specifics of why I got fired.

On November 6th there was an incident at my poker table. I was dealing a $550 buy-in 6-man tournament. The prize was $2k to first and $1k to 2nd place. The field of players was narrowed down to 3 players and they wanted to split the money getting $1k each. However, our poker room rule, and indeed the law in this state, does not allow for this because it is considered colluding/cheating. The rule is a deal can be made only after all players left are being paid, in this case 2 players. When I informed the players they said that the manager would surely let them bypass this rule. I knew better, and I explained to them there is no way they would be allowed to chop the money 3-ways. Keep in mind that these players are all regulars, they all know each other pretty well and have played with each other on an almost daily basis. Once I told them this they began discussing ways that they themselves could bypass the rule, like everyone going all-in and splitting the money outside of the room. At this point, I called the supervisor over, and he explicitly told them they were NOT allowed to split the money. The supervisor walks off and I begin dealing again. About 3 hands later (not immediately after) but a good 5 minutes later, all 3 players move all-in. One player has pocket 10s, the other two have rags 8-4 and 6-2. When I saw the hands I knew exactly what their intents were, but since they had not broken any specific rules I dealt it out and began paying the winner.

At that very point the manager walks by and sees this and immediately kicks those players out of the room and sends me home for the day. The next morning, he berates me pretty dramatically in front of two other managers and suspends me for NOT CALLING FOR A SUPERVISOR. He never gives me a chance to explain, only yelling for 5 minutes about how I did not uphold the standards. He also informs me that if I make another mistake I would be fired.

I remember the date because that was our big promotion day and the room was full. We had never run a 6-man tournament for $550 since I had been working there. Now the way these single table tournaments work is that the amount of chips and time you have depends on the buy in. For example, for $60 you get 1500 chips and 10 minutes blind levels, but as the buy in increases, you get more chips and more time.

So the 2nd incident, the one I got fired for, happened on the 23rd of December, another extremely busy promotion day. Again I was put to deal a 6-handed single table tournament, this time for $250 buy in. For this buy in the players get 3,000 chips and 15 minute blind levels. I accidentally started the players with one extra chip worth 1000, meaning they each got 4,000 chips instead of 3,000. I just miscounted the master stack and made all the other stacks equal. The players noticed my mistake but didn't say anything until half hour into the tournament. I immediately called for supervisor, as I had been doing excessively since my suspension and we all knew there was nothing that could be done since so many hands had already been played. However, the players were playing loose and aggressive so the tournament actually went by much faster than expected, it didn't even go until the 2nd break. My mistake was completely inconsequential. Nonetheless, immediately afterward I was pulled into the office and fired.

Both of these mistakes would've been overlooked if they would've been made by certain dealers. I've seen dealers there literally push $200+ pots to the wrong person and only have to pay the fine and not even get suspended. I've seen dealers get away with far worse things. But the fact of the matter is the GM just didn't like me. Although I was never late, never complained, only took my sick days to vacation, always in a good mood, provided excellent customer service, and always came in on my days off when they needed people. And I do mean always. In fact, I had a reputation among the other dealers and management as being one of the very few workhorses in place with 60+ dealers and most of the customers loved it when I came to deal their table. I know it sounds like I'm tooting my own horn, but I'm a good employee, and I care about my work and my reputation at work.

My brother thinks I should sue them because on several occasions the managers would make racial jokes at my expense. On one occasion, another dealer told me that I should dress up as a suicide bomber with bombs strapped to me and a turban for Halloween. When I told the managers about this, they laughed and continued the joke, wondering if I could make it to work on my motorcycle dressed that way or would I be shot.

On another occasion, I went up to them and told them that the judge had dismissed all of my traffic tickets in court the previous day and they laughed and said "Did you threaten to blow up the courthouse if he didn't?"

These are just a few examples I remember but jokes at my expense were the norm, not the exception. I never said a word, and I just laughed along because, hey, the job paid over $50k for 4 days of work a week. But now I'm seriously considering a law suit. I'm not one of those people that sues or likes to file frivolous law suits, but my brother who is in law school says I have a case. My cousin who is also in law school says that racial discrimination cases are by far the hardest to win. And since there was another Arab, an Egyptian, that was an assistant manager, she says it will be very hard to prove the boss is a bigot. I don't know if he's a bigot per se, one day he hired a black guy (who ended up being my best friend there) and right after he hired him and gave him the uniform he came out and said, "there, I've met my quota, now the state can get off my back." He was only the 2nd black person to deal poker in that room. What I do know is that he is definitely a misogynist because of the things I heard him say about and directly to the cocktail waitresses. The guy is just a general asshole and I wholeheartedly believe that my firing was unjust, but I have scant evidence and no money for a lawyer.

After some initial research I found out that I can file a complaint with a government agency called the EEOC who will at least investigate the allegation. Still, I'm unsure if I should even pursue that. I have about 150 days left to decide. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Oh, also another reason I think I was one of the best dealers they had is just 2 months ago they hand picked me to be one of the 15 dealers to deal a HORSE tournament, pretty much the most complex poker tournament.
Last edited by Xyun on January 12, 2009, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

If you ever want to work in that industry again, I think your best bet is not suing or filing a complaint. You have a good shot at getting unemployment even though they will probably contest it... You're given a chance to explain your side and hopefully you can convince them it was not legitimately for 'performance.'

I'm not too sure how it works in FL as opposed to PA but one previous employer, despite saying 'you can collect,' disputed my unemployment benefits. My appeal, furiously written front/back on the form provided, was successful. It was similarly a case where the manager and I did not get along, but he had no valid reason to let me go.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Well I applied for unemployment that very same week and today when I logged on, the website allowed me to submit my information as if they will let me claim 2 weeks of unemployment, but I'm not sure if/when I will get money. My concern is not really working in that industry again. I've already decided to finish my undergrad and pursue some graduate degree, maybe law school like everyone else in my family or maybe journalism, my true love. Dealing poker pays great and is fun, but it is just a job, not a career. I'm more concerned with justice, as I have always been. Not revenge, justice. I doubt I have legitimate grounds to sue, but just the thought of that asshole being investigated for his megalomaniac power tripping makes me happy. I don't know though.

My plan is to try to get another job in the same industry and if I don't get hired within the next month, and if I don't get unemployment, THEN file a complaint with the EEOC.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Sorry to hear about that. It does indeed sound like your former employer is a cocksucker. The important thing is to be happy. Even with thick skin, the Arab jokes must have gotten a bit irritating after a while.

Call it a sign. Since journalism is your true love and you are going back to school, why not? You have a talent for it. I say go for it. Good luck!
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Xyun wrote:Yeah, currently in Tampa, well.. St. Petersburg, but it's pretty much the same. St. Pete is a peninsula. I live on the south-eastern most point of it, but willing to drive wherever.

Techincally St Petersburg is a city. Pinellas is a peninsula. I'm sure that's what you meant!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

How far will you go for work? Would you be interested in being my version of "Air Force Buddies" in Florida?

It wouldn't involved anything too serious...just roughing up some liberals and maybe stink bombing some Apple Stores!
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

Xyun wrote:Well I applied for unemployment that very same week and today when I logged on, the website allowed me to submit my information as if they will let me claim 2 weeks of unemployment, but I'm not sure if/when I will get money. My concern is not really working in that industry again. I've already decided to finish my undergrad and pursue some graduate degree, maybe law school like everyone else in my family or maybe journalism, my true love. Dealing poker pays great and is fun, but it is just a job, not a career. I'm more concerned with justice, as I have always been. Not revenge, justice. I doubt I have legitimate grounds to sue, but just the thought of that asshole being investigated for his megalomaniac power tripping makes me happy. I don't know though.

My plan is to try to get another job in the same industry and if I don't get hired within the next month, and if I don't get unemployment, THEN file a complaint with the EEOC.
As you know, I'm unfortunately familiar with FL unemployment. =P You should get your check Friday or Saturday but the first one will only be for one week. After that, you claim two weeks every second Monday and get 2 weeks worth on the following Friday. If you were allowed to log in and claim your weeks (and I'm sure you got that paper that tells you how much you'll get a week and for how long), you were approved. Just make sure to keep looking for a job cause at least in Miami, they check up on you fairly often.

As far as filing a complaint, I'd sit on it for a while. You still have five months to stew and think about it. Right now you're justifiably angry but when one is angry isn't the best time to make any decisions. Also, suing is a silly idea. His guilt would be yours to prove (especially with that kind of allegation). And unless you bump into a bucket a cash anytime soon, the risk vs reward looks pretty dismal.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

You *might* have a case for wrongful termination, but I really doubt it. You'd need copious amounts of documentation regarding the harassment, and the fact that you did not bring this forth to your Human Resources department at all during your employment pretty much puts the kabash on any kind of harassment/hostile work environment suit.

Sorry you lost your job, though. Do you have any sales or techincal history? We have a sweet office in Tampa.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

*~*stragi*~* wrote:You *might* have a case for wrongful termination
Florida, like Texas, is a right to work state. Which means (contrary to the name) that an employer can fire you for any reason, or no reason at all.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Federal law bars an employer from firing an employee based on race regardless of the status of home state employment law
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

laneela wrote:
Xyun wrote:Well I applied for unemployment that very same week and today when I logged on, the website allowed me to submit my information as if they will let me claim 2 weeks of unemployment, but I'm not sure if/when I will get money. My concern is not really working in that industry again. I've already decided to finish my undergrad and pursue some graduate degree, maybe law school like everyone else in my family or maybe journalism, my true love. Dealing poker pays great and is fun, but it is just a job, not a career. I'm more concerned with justice, as I have always been. Not revenge, justice. I doubt I have legitimate grounds to sue, but just the thought of that asshole being investigated for his megalomaniac power tripping makes me happy. I don't know though.

As you know, I'm unfortunately familiar with FL unemployment. =P You should get your check Friday or Saturday but the first one will only be for one week. After that, you claim two weeks every second Monday and get 2 weeks worth on the following Friday. If you were allowed to log in and claim your weeks (and I'm sure you got that paper that tells you how much you'll get a week and for how long), you were approved. Just make sure to keep looking for a job cause at least in Miami, they check up on you fairly often.

As far as filing a complaint, I'd sit on it for a while. You still have five months to stew and think about it. Right now you're justifiably angry but when one is angry isn't the best time to make any decisions. Also, suing is a silly idea. His guilt would be yours to prove (especially with that kind of allegation). And unless you bump into a bucket a cash anytime soon, the risk vs reward looks pretty dismal.
I hope you are right. I have not received any mail from them, and the FAQ that I just read said that they only determine eligibility after the first weeks are claimed. Either way I have been and will continue to look for work, no doubt.

I've had plenty of time to think about my treatment at my former employer and it is not regarding wrongful termination, but rather discrimination. There is a legal difference. Again it is not my anger that is dictating my decisions, but the answer to a very basic question: Were my rights violated? The bottom line question in my mind is - "Would I have been treated differently if I were white?" My answer is definitely yes, and so even though I have no documentation, there is plenty of evidence and plenty of witnesses to support this claim. It may seem frivolous from an outside perspective but I'm pretty smart and I'm pretty sure I was discriminated against. And because it is a federal law and a federal agency, they investigate the claim regardless of what the state law says. It is not a law suit so much as it is a complaint, and had they treated me equally to the other employees I would have no reason to file this claim, but they did not. After talking with my brother and a couple of friends some more, I have pretty much made up my mind that I am going to file it regardless of what happens as far as employment. My hope is that I get hired somewhere soon so that filing it does not adversely affect my employment. The question is no longer "IF" I will file the complaint, but rather "WHEN". The answer is, as soon as I find a job, or 2 months. Whichever comes first.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Sueven wrote:Federal law bars an employer from firing an employee based on race regardless of the status of home state employment law
And that would be a race discrimination suit right? and not a wrongful termination suit? I could just be a caveman here, at which point...tell me and I'll leave this conversation.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I'm positive you could make a fine living down here in Key West as a Persian man-whore. The gays love exotics.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Masteen speaks truth! To Key West you go, you big hairy manbear you. ;)
en kærlighed småkager
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Truant wrote:
*~*stragi*~* wrote:You *might* have a case for wrongful termination
Florida, like Texas, is a right to work state. Which means (contrary to the name) that an employer can fire you for any reason, or no reason at all.
"Right to work" really means jack shit, it's still very complicated to fire someone and if there's harassment involved it's just as illegal in a right to work state as anywhere else.
I still don't think he would have a solid case though.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

That's why if I were hiring people I'd only hire white males. A lot easier to fire them.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Truant wrote:And that would be a race discrimination suit right? and not a wrongful termination suit? I could just be a caveman here, at which point...tell me and I'll leave this conversation.
Honestly I'm not really sure on the semantics. I'd think that the best term for it would be a Title VII suit (as it's Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 that bars race discrimination in employment) but I'm sure that several terms are used.

As a very general rule, a civil lawsuit will be based on a violation of the law. This violation can be a violation of statutory law or the common law. Lawsuits that are based on violations of statutory law tend to have more boring names (for instance, a "section 1983 suit" is the most common term that I've heard used to describe a lawsuit brought against a government entity for violation of constitution rights, because section 1983 is the portion of the law that grants citizens the right to sue for violations of constitutional rights). Lawsuits that are based on violations of the common law tend to have more relevant names, like negligence.

Ultimately it's not important. Let's assume for a second that Xyun's employer is liable for race discrimination, but is not liable for wrongful termination. If Xyun brought his suit and was referring to it as wrongful termination, he would somehow be informed that it was actually a race discrimination suit and it would proceed under that body of law.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

masteen wrote:I'm positive you could make a fine living down here in Key West as a Persian man-whore. The gays love exotics.
As long as he doesn't mind pimping himself out to senior citizens (gar or otherwise) he's all set!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

As a whore, I can tell you this: You do not pick your clients, your clients pick you. ><
en kærlighed småkager
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Not true. Haven't you ever seen Firefly?
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

I'd suggest you become a bank robber.

Buy a few Greyhound bus tickets to a random major city anywhere in the U.S. Then find a random bank and hit it up as the first employee arrives to open the doors. Get in and out in under 5 minutes, go straight to the bus station and leave the city.

Repeat this as you need funds.
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

amateur.
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Xyun's Eleven
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

If only he had an in to some sort of casino or gambling parlor...

HOLD ON A SECOND!
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!